closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby League thread.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Sure I saw the attendance reported on Sky as just over 2K. Surely that must be wrong??. If not its a damning inditement of the state of our game if that all the support two of the biggest teams in SL can generate.

Stuart

Master
    Didn't see that and didn't see many crowd shots. I was in the kitchen with it on in the background. I did notice the ends of the stand were empty but can't imagine the crowd was that low.

The sport is struggling though IMO

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Just got back from the match, and what a game!

Golding saved 3 tries for Leeds, I can't believe we didn't finish em off!

Anyway, not kicking for goal just before half time cost Leeds a point but I'm happy!

Some errors and I don't thinkRoby should be on the bench either.

Typical rusty start as ever!

COYS!

Btw attendance was officially 12208. Home and away standing areas looked full, I sit in the Solarking south stand and we were almost full.

Grand Master
    Both teams lacked fluency and cohesion with ball in hand, but both teams put in a great defensive stint (hence the low score!). Not the most entertaining match but enjoyable because it was close. Super performance from Goulding at full back, kept Leeds in the game.

Big mistake from Leeds to run the ball from a very kickable penalty near the end of the first half, ultimately cost them the draw. I hate to see this; unless a side's well behind or well in front it makes more sense to take the two points to me.

Interesting to see the ref give penalties against both sides for not playing the ball on the spot where the tackle's made. Moving forward a yard or two to play the ball has crept in over the past few seasons and it's good to see it being clamped down upon. Will it continue all season?.......we'll see. Cleaning up the play the ball would help the game a lot, stopping players pinching yards is important. I'd also like to see refs penalise professional fouls such as deliberate holding down following a break but they seem reluctant to wave the yellow card.

So much for the so-called summer rugby, must've been bloody freezing out there tonight!

Paul

Master
    Well wasn't that an awful opening game...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    No! It was a defensive masterclass.

First game of the season, new players, butterfingers (especially from Swifty!)

Grand Master
    No, not an awful game, a typical opening season encounter with both sides lacking the timing and fluency with the ball that we take for granted in Super League. Both sides defended well and the low score made for an absorbing contest. I would've liked to see a few more points scored and I expected it to open up a bit in the last 15 minutes.

Paul

Master
    I'm obviously just used to watching the mighty hull fc...!

To be fair it was good defensively but you can't beat a good high scoring game!

Master
    Better than I expected.

What else is the pitch used for? It cut up pretty badly for a first game?

Decent glimpses on both sides. Makinson's try saver (and game winner in the end) was great defence to stop some lovely attaching play. Watkins showed an early sign of what he can do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Better than I expected.

What else is the pitch used for? It cut up pretty badly for a first game?

Decent glimpses on both sides. Makinson's try saver (and game winner in the end) was great defence to stop some lovely attaching play. Watkins showed an early sign of what he can do.
    Pitch isn't used for nowt at the moment, except the rugby. It was a bit scruffy in the preseason friendlies.

Tommy is a fantastic player, been unlucky over last couple of seasons with injury.

Craftsman
    Just watching with interest to see how Leigh get on in their opening game. They look a little short of legs at the moment and a bit off the pace. Super League is going to be a big step up for them this year!!

Blog Entries
    Luke Walsh had a good game for Catalans, taking Warrington out.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Luke Walsh had a good game for Catalans, taking Warrington out.
    It was a bad day at the office for our lads yesterday. Two of the Cats tries came directly from our errors, they didnt even have to work for them. Brown, I hope, will make a difference in the creativity in attack, cos we looked lost yesterday. Mind you theres probably 5 first choice players out that would walk into almost any other SL team, Hill, Currie, Ratchford, Westwood and Brown who didnt play, so alls not lost. Only the first game of the season.

I thought Cats tactics were a bit unsportsmanlike though, throwing themselves down as though they had been shot by a sniper. Unfortunately, egged on by the partisan crowd, Child was weak as well.

Stuart

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    It was a bad day at the office for our lads yesterday. Two of the Cats tries came directly from our errors, they didnt even have to work for them. Brown, I hope, will make a difference in the creativity in attack, cos we looked lost yesterday. Mind you theres probably 5 first choice players out that would walk into almost any other SL team, Hill, Currie, Ratchford, Westwood and Brown who didnt play, so alls not lost. Only the first game of the season.

I thought Cats tactics were a bit unsportsmanlike though, throwing themselves down as though they had been shot by a sniper. Unfortunately, egged on by the partisan crowd, Child was weak as well.

Stuart
    The injured few were putting in some extra training and gym work this morning for Warrington, when my lads were at their Under 7 training session. Good for the little'uns to see Westwood and Hilly, gives them all a bit of inspiration.

Master
    Interested to see how Cas go when they play a team who can defend better than Leigh...

Hard thought win for Hull FC in awful conditions at Wakey. Was worried as we had a couple of forwards out injured which wasn't idea against a big Wakey team. Funnily enough the smallest bloke on the bench came on to score the winning try. Glad to see our never give up attitude has carried on from last year. A few years ago that would be a certain loss.

Grand Master
    Interested to see how Cas go when they play a team who can defend better than Leigh...

Hard thought win for Hull FC in awful conditions at Wakey. Was worried as we had a couple of forwards out injured which wasn't idea against a big Wakey team. Funnily enough the smallest bloke on the bench came on to score the winning try. Glad to see our never give up attitude has carried on from last year. A few years ago that would be a certain loss.
    I didn`t get to the game, still not feeling well, didn`t fancy it with the weather being so poor.

Disappointing to lose from a Wakefield perspective, particularly in a close game that was decided by penalty goals. According to the Trinity Fan's forum we were hard done by with at least one of the penalties.........that's to be expected on a fan's forum I guess. Given the conditions, losing a prop in the first 5 minutes didn`t help us either.

I've no doubt it'll be a hard season again for us, 2 points yesterday would've been a great start. I guess we can take some consolation from the close score but I`ve no doubt the conditions played a major part.

Paul

Blog Entries

Ouch!

Craftsman
    Did anyone watch the Warrington v Brisbane match tonight? Great result for Wolves and the Super League and a great battle of a game.
    Excellent atmosphere as well.

Journeyman
    Congratulations to both Warrington and Wigan for their respective victories. That makes Wigan a record four times World Club Champions. Get in!!

Blog Entries
    Tonight's match up is Saints vs Wakefield.

After our abject performance last week vs Leigh, we need to hit the ground running.

After watching Cas humiliate Leeds last night 66-10 playing in the style of the Saints of old it's about time we became the "entertainers" as we've always been known, but with the rain it may be difficult. Anything less than a win will be failure.

COYS!!

Craftsman
    It looks a bit 'heavy' out there tonight on the pitch!! Not a great start from Saints, but Wakefield are defending well.

Couldn't believe how well drilled Cas looked last night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    It looks a bit 'heavy' out there tonight on the pitch!! Not a great start from Saints, but Wakefield are defending well.

Couldn't believe how well drilled Cas looked last night.
    We're flat as anything! 4-10 down at half time!

Cas were awesome last nigh, a great game as a neutral!!

Craftsman
    Big last five minutes for Saints now!

Blog Entries
    12-16 final score

Victory to Wakefield Trinity, very close but ultimately they were good for the win!

(Awaits Paul Walker gloating)

Master
    Well done Wakefield. Throw back of a game.

As a Leeds fan I'd also like to take my hat off the Castleford. The way they played last night is the reason I watch rugby league. Brilliant display. This team have been building towards this for some years now. Could this be their year?

Blog Entries
    Well done Wakefield. Throw back of a game.

As a Leeds fan I'd also like to take my hat off the Castleford. The way they played last night is the reason I watch rugby league. Brilliant display. This team have been building towards this for some years now. Could this be their year?
    Isn't it warringtons year?

:-)

Master

That was last year. And the year before. And the year before. I think even their fans have decided to give it a rest!

Blog Entries
    That was last year. And the year before. And the year before. I think even their fans have decided to give it a rest!
    To be fair Warrington plaid the best rugby last year and won the hubcap.

Wigan played anti-rugby and won the grand final.

I wonder who KC is trying to emulate.......

Cass were indeed awesome last night. Some of the best tries I have seen in a long time. Looking at that performance makes me feel not so bad about how they turned us over the week before.

What has happened to Saints though. No disrespect to Wakey, and I know Smith is missing, but they looked clueless at times. Conditions perhaps, who knows. But I dont know what KC is on if he thought that was anything other than a penalty try. Anyway I'm pretty sure everyone will improve as the season goes on. I bloody well hope we do tomorrow at Salford or we are 3 games (SL) and nil.

Stuart

Grand Master
    As a Wakey fan I'm well pleased with tonight's result

Wifey's a Cas fan so she enjoyed last night's game. I think Leeds have the same problems as last season, desperately lacking a leader on the field.

Really surprised at Hull FC spanking Huddersfield, wouldn't have predicted that.

When the weather improves and the game's being played on fast pitches methinks it'll be (literally) a different ball game.

Meanwhile I'll pour another whisky and enjoy tonight's win

Paul

Grand Master
    12-16 final score

Victory to Wakefield Trinity, very close but ultimately they were good for the win!

(Awaits Paul Walker gloating)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks for the PM!

:-0

Craftsman

"It's always our year"!!!

I don't think it will be our year this time around though. There are a few teams playing decent rugby, in Wigan and Cas. If we keep Kev Brown fit, Chris Hill comes back well, then we will do well, but it has been a slow start to the he league campaign. Salford later........

Master
    Cas are looking like serious contenders for a trophy this season. Loved how they played on Thursday, so much speed in their backs. Good result for Hull too. Was slightly worried as we had a few of our towards our injured or banned but seemed to go ok!

Grand Master
    Early days yet, but Cas are looking good. Darryl Powel's worked wonders on limited resources, he seems to be able to get the best out of players.

Definitely had a pint too many last night whilst celebrating Wakey's win........head's like a bucket this morning! Not getting too carried away, we need to win the games against the other bottom four contenders ; beating Saints was great but a win against Hudds the week before would've done us more good in the long run.

Paul

OUCH !! My eyes are still stinging ater watching our performance last night. We were pretty poor all across the park.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    OUCH !! My eyes are still stinging ater watching our performance last night. We were pretty poor all across the park.

Stuart
    I hate to say it but You're missing that grub Sandow.

I hate to say it but You're missing that grub Sandow.
    I hate to say this but that is possibly true, however I think the problem is more deep rooted than that. Sandow was a genius on the field allbeit a flawed one, but he had good games and some where his input was negligible. Its as though we are lacking confidence, self belief, and a desire to win the fight when it gets tough. I dont know what the cure is.

Also we seem to spend a lot of time and energy going sideways instead of forward. Even the forwards seem to be adopting this as well, along with some risky 'panic' offloads. We are missing a few players, but so are everyone else so thats not an argument really. Our wide marking leaves a lot to be desired for me, teams seem to be able to spread the ball with a couple of quick passes and their wingers are past ours in a flash. We are also lacking pace in the backs.

I know the season isnt decided yet, but I genuinely worry for us at the mo.

Stuart

Craftsman
    I think we are missing a leader on the pitch at the moment and probably need Chris Hill back swiftly. The wide marking is a problem and sadly Westwood's legs are not what they used to be!
    Need the best team to get together now and build confidence from there......

Master
    Warrington have major problems! Wigan look pretty good for a trophy this season!

Master
    As a Leeds fan it does make me feel better!!

Master
    As a Leeds fan it does make me feel better!!
    Leeds will still beat Hull this year... Leeds could field 7 players and we'd still lose...

Master
    Nicked that one! Great result for FC!

Blog Entries
    Nicked that one! Great result for FC!
    We got what we deserved.

That kick at the 79th minute by Wilkin...... I despair.

Steven hawking would have done a better job.

Master
    We got what we deserved.

That kick at the 79th minute by Wilkin...... I despair.

Steven hawking would have done a better job.
    I'd rather have LMS at scrum half! Wilkin had a mare.

Journeyman
    Dejavu week after week for saints. Poor squad, poor selection, poor tactics.

Master
    Cunningham in preseason - "playing Wilkin at 7 is plan Z"

Oh dear

I'd rather have LMS at scrum half! Wilkin had a mare.
    Wilkin isnt a half back, therein lies the problem. Or, perhaps KC playing him there is the problem. He's like a lot of SL players at the mo, and probably coming up to or past his best. I know some of ours are, deffo.

Stuart

Master
    Saints rely on Roby too much still. Have they not got any back up?

Even someone like Percival at 6 just to add a running threat may work better. Wilkin is a forward that is good at kicking for a forward how that makes him a halfback when needed I don't know.