closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Rugby League thread.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Massive advantage now to Saints having the opportunity in our own hands. Barba played well against Hudds but they weren't playing for anything, not even pride!

On a wider point, it exposes once again that "every game counts" is a load of tripe. We have been dire at certain points throughout the season, and only Cas have held any great consistency.

I really hope Wigan are eliminated because they really do play Anti-rugby. The "wrestle", "energy battle" and the "grind" shouldn't be enough to get you into the QF or onto OT.

The way they lie on to slow down the game, try to "kick off" just to timewaste and cheapshot 3rd man in at the tackle is infuriating. Sean Wane is a great motivator for his team, I'll give him that. He's driven a poor team (once again) to the verge of another QF but he is the most one-eyed hypocrite, regularly slating the match officials and opposition when Wigan have had the best of the decisions and had their bullying tactics pushed back on them.

When mcilorum knocked himself out last week by running into Liam Watts, Wane behaved like a spoilt kid when everyone except him and Phil Clarke (ex Wigan, dontcha know?!) said it was clearly his own fault looking for a cheap shot, flying out of the line.

Master
    Very well put. I despise Wigan. They're an awful team to watch and their dirty tactics are creeping into other teams as it seems to work sadly.

Wane is a one trick pony and Wigan will need some fresh ideas soon

Blog Entries
    D-day today for Wakefield regarding a future home. I’ve only been to Belle Vue a couple of times (and it’s a rough old place, reminds me of being 9 years old at Watersheddings) but it’s a real shame if the Dewsbury groundshare has to go ahead.

Hopefully good news later for Paul and his crew.

Blog Entries
    “Wakefield Trinity have agreed a deal that will keep them at Belle Vue. A proposal has been agreed that will see a redevelopment of Belle Vue take place by 2020

The post Wakefield secure agreement to stay at Belle Vue as redevelopment plans come to light appeared first on Total Rugby League”

Grand Master
    Thanks for posting this , Rick. I knew that yet another meeting was taking place today but it had slipped my mind........This is excellent news for the Wakefield Trinity club and I genuinely believe it's good news for the sport. Redeveloping Belle Vue was always my preferred option despite the access/parking problems, but that's never prevented Headingly being developed so I'm pleased to see it isn't stopping us. Parking on Heath Common is always an option provided no one objects to walking for several minutes, fortunately the parking isue hasn't been seen as insurmountable.

I haven't read the details yet, but this is the best news the club's had for a long while. Our chairman, Michael Carter, deserves huge praise for the way he's literally saved this club from oblivion and he's obviously played a weak hand very well to influence this outcome.

Saturday's our last game of a very eventful season when we entertain the Wigan pie-eaters. Unless the Saints slip up I think we can kiss 4th place goodbye, but this news more than compensates. It'll be a great atmosphere at the ground, and it'll be nice to top it off with a win..........but the best result of our season has arrived today.

The mighty Trin march on

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th September 2017 at 18:58.

Blog Entries
    COYS!

Winning 12-4 at half time, Salford have had a man sent off!!!!

Edit

Full time 30-4!

Barring a mathematical miracle they’d us in 4th, maybe up to 3rd if other results go our way!
    Last edited by RJM25R; 21st September 2017 at 22:06.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    COYS!

Winning 12-4 at half time, Salford have had a man sent off!!!!

Edit

Full time 30-4!

Barring a mathematical miracle they’d us in 4th, maybe up to 3rd if other results go our way!
    Saints' good fortune continues.......the red card was the correct decision but I think it influenced the outcome.

Let's see what tomorrow's game brings, I'd hate to see Wigan making the top 4 by beating Trinity on Saturday.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Saints' good fortune continues.......the red card was the correct decision but I think it influenced the outcome.

Let's see what tomorrow's game brings, I'd hate to see Wigan making the top 4 by beating Trinity on Saturday.

Paul
    I hope you’re right about Wigan.

Master
    Happy with Hull winning last night, great to have another chance to go to Old Trafford.

What a performance from Wakey today. Absolutely destroyed Wigan. Wane will be fuming!

Blog Entries
    When you need 92-0 and you get 32-0 but the wrong way round!

One in the eye for Wane/anti-rugby.

The grind doesn’t work long-term.

I dream of a Saints/Hull Final...... I got my tickets a while ago but didn’t expect Saints to have a hope of being there, but 80mins and we’re in.

In that top 4, nobody fears anyone and Cas have made an error in my opinion Resting players.

COYS!!!!!

Grand Master
    Just returned home after watching Trinity beat Wigan, great atmosphere at the end of the match, a real togetherness between the players and the fans. The guys who will be leaving the club all played out of their skins today and that was a reflection of the spirit within the club at the moment. Finishing 5th has been a tremendous achievement, but we're left with the a bitter taste as we reflect what might've been. Losing to Saints in the last few minutes is still proving difficult to accept, and despite the rivalry with our local neighbours (Cas Pussies) the majority of Wakefield supporters are now hoping for a Cas win next Thursday.

Meanwhile, I'll reflect on the season and watch today's game again on TV. Despite the fact there was nothing to play for it's still nice to nil Wigan.........the mighty Trin march on

Paul

Blog Entries
    Great semi final but Saints fall short. Conversion kicks cost us the game.

Master
    Great semi final but Saints fall short. Conversion kicks cost us the game.
    Yeah. Cas have shown the big stage may get to them!

On a positive point I think Barba may be a Lyonesque signing for you

Grand Master
    Agreed, an excellent match that Saints should've won. Certainly shows that Cas can be beaten.

Hopefully tonights game will be a good 'un, I'll be surprised if Hull don't win.

Paul

Master
    Hardaker. How many chances does this boy need?

Dropped from the squad for Saturday for breach of club rules.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Hardaker. How many chances does this boy need?

Dropped from the squad for Saturday for breach of club rules.
    It's really odd, seems the more natural talent they have the more inclined they are to chuck it all away. Like Chase for example, both of the Carneys, just incredible how they never learn. And to make matters worse, he's been one of Cass's stand outs this year, and a nailed on to play in the Grand Final, he then blows it. Some players will never get that opportunity and he just throws it away. Bet his team mates aren't best pleased.

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 5th October 2017 at 15:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    It's really odd, seems the more natural talent they have the more inclined they are to chuck it all away. Like Chase for example, both of the Carneys, just incredible how they never learn. And to make matters worse, he's been one of Cass's stand outs this year, and a nailed on to play in the Grand Final, he then blows it. Some players will never get that opportunity and he just throws it away. Bet his team mates aren't best pleased.

Stuart
    If certain rumours are to be believed, Rangi Chase is involved. Could be complete rubbish though.

If the issue is big enough to be dropped from a grand final, it's probably enough to be told to seek employment elsewhere.

Like you say, a shoe in for a spot and a front runner to be a Harry Sunderland trophy candidate.

When at Leeds he was made to live with other more mature players to keep him from doing anything stupid. What a waste - probably Tomkins at fullback for England then

Blog Entries
    If certain rumours are to be believed, Rangi Chase is involved. Could be complete rubbish though.

If the issue is big enough to be dropped from a grand final, it's probably enough to be told to seek employment elsewhere.

Like you say, a shoe in for a spot and a front runner to be a Harry Sunderland trophy candidate.

When at Leeds he was made to live with other more mature players to keep him from doing anything stupid. What a waste - probably Tomkins at fullback for England then
    Allegedly he posted a tweet that he’d had a bit of a flutter and was a bit richer.

Tweet removed and dropped from a GF.

Possibly related?

A bet on “man of steel” shortlist perhaps? Or overall winner??

Grand Master
    Got to be something serious to drop him for Saturday's game. Lots of speculation on the fans forums but I don't think anyone really knows what's happened.

It's not easy to say this (living in Normanton I'm surrounded by then) but I'm sorry for the Cas fans. Saturday's their day in the sun, the chance to make club history, the last thing they want is an episode like this. It's like having their fireworks pissed on and it's a shame. Hardaker's got previous for indiscrete behaviour and it looks like he still hasn't learned.

Paul

Master
    I think it's fair to say Castleford bottled that.

It was a masterclass from Leeds, that. Not one player had a poor game. McGuire was pulling all the strings and orchestrating beautifully. Forwards were dominating their opposite numbers. Jack Walker is 18 and looks as natural and poised as anyone in the league. An amazing win

I may have two bottles of beer tonight!!

Grand Master
    I don't believe it............Leeds totally dominated the Grand Final, Cas were second best by a big margin. Mcguire plays like he could 10 years ago and runs the show.

You couldn't make it up, wouldn't have predicted this. We'll never know how much influence the Hardaker saga has had.

Huge disappointment for the Cas fans and a disappointing final for the neutrals.

Paul

Grand Master

I may have two bottles of beer tonight!!
    Treat yourself to a gallon.......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    We'll never know how much influence the Hardaker saga has had.
    Paul

Huge. Monumental. He was their big game player, hes been there and done it. However they still had man of steel Gale. Apparently he was playing.

Blog Entries
    I told you so.

Whilst I don't see Cas losing form for the last few games per se, once you hit the playoffs or the final they just don't have the experience IMHO. Will they be capable of shutting a game down? Defending a narrow lead? Playing free-flowing rugby on a sunny Sunday at home is very different to GF night, in October, at Old Trafford played in the cold wind and rain with 70,000 there (40,000 of which are neutrals on the night)

Wigan and Leeds have carved out a couple of victories there which have overcome the team playing much better rugby (all 3 of warrington said losing finals spring to mind) and we ground out a victory in 2014 with no halves and a cripple at full back.
    Just got out of bed after a 10am start in wetherspoons yesterday and didn’t get home till 2am so I’m holding a thick head.

I made the above comments in July, and Cas were by and large quite anonymous last night, I think the other occasion I overawed them. They had their “final” last week, and it seemed that just getting to the final was some kilnd of victory for them. Luke gale (deservedly MOS in my opinion) put in his worst appearance of the season and Leeds did what Leeds do.

Atmosphere was superb, credit to some Cas fans with saying right to the end but 10k or so had gone with the last 8 mins or so to go.

I think Powell was a sore winner last week, and he was less than magnanimous in defeat. I’ll be very surprised if Cas are even in the top 4 next season, with Leeds and Saints, plus Warrington and Wigan will invest to improve and Hull are consistently hovering around that top tier now.

They had their moment in the sun and were found out.
    Last edited by RJM25R; 8th October 2017 at 14:58.

Blog Entries

Master
    Fair play, you called it! With hindsight it was quite easy to see. Cas were complacent and starting to look out of their depth. They got lucky in the semi final and the Hardaker saga killed them off.

It was either going to be a big win for Cas to put the icing on the cake, Leeds in the final. Or the old boys would show that scoring for fun in July is a different ball game to a rainy evening at Old Trafford.

It really is a sweet victory. What about Stevie Ward putting in 80 minutes a week after dislocating his shoulder? Amazing player. He will be the next captain of Leeds. Seems very Sinfield like with his maturity

Grand Master
    Rick's prediction last July has proved to be correct, but possibly for the wrong reasons. I think the Hardaker aituation can't be dismissed lightly, apart from having to reshuffle the side there's bound to have been some effect on team spirit/morale/confidence. Cas were a pale shadow of themselves last night.

Have to disagree with dismissing Cas so lightly, have another look at the league table......... the numbers don't lie. Yes, they came up well short in a winner takes all situation and it could justifiably be argued that they were fortunate to beat Saints the week before, but as a group I think they'll learn from the experience.

Looking to the future, I see Cas being there or thereabouts again next season, with Hull, Leeds and Saints. Not convinced Warrington will bounce back and I'm not sure about Wigan. Looking at my own team, Trinity should be stronger next season, the majority of the team will be retained and the club is (for once ) very settled and stable. We should go well again provided we recruit well, we're only looking to add 2-3 players but that has to be done on a limited budget.

Now the season's over I'll be suffering withdrawal symptoms, watching 2-3 games a week becomes almost an addiction.

Paul

Master
    Just a note. Powell got Leeds to this position before he left. He did an amazing job, he brought he generation that is just retiring through. I believe he also made Sinfield csptian at around 22. A decision that McDermott may make with Stevie Ward.

Unfortunately Powell didn't quite get Leeds to win anything and went on to union to do some coaching. We brought Tony Smith in to take us to the next level and he did not disappoint. What if Castleford need to make the same decision. Just to freshen things up. The playing talent is there without doubt.

They can have Golding on loan at fullback because Jack Walker is a superstar, I'd say in the making but even now at 18 he looks so comfortable

Grand Master
    So, the facts have finally come to light about the Hardaker debacle. Failed a drug test on Sept 8th, but this had to be confirmed by analysis of the B sample ( standard practice as I understand it) and the decision by Castleford to suspend him is made on the Thursdy preceding Saturday's final.

The club must've been aware he'd failed the initial test so why did they continue to play him? The innocent before proven guilty argument doesn't really stand up in this case, not in my view. To me the club don't come out of this well; if the confirmatory test result hadn't become available till after the Grand Final I assume he would've played and the result may have been different? The fact that he played in and influenced the semi- final seems wrong to me, if I was a Saints fan I'd feel aggreived. Hardaker shouldn't have been on the field that night.

Overall it's disappointing and a concern for those who love the game; that's 3 players suspended for cocaine use this season and sadly it begs the question whether this is the tip of an iceberg. Maybe it was better in the good old days when the drinking culture was commonplace!

Cas will now be looking for a new full back, hopefully they won't tempt Jowitt away from Wakefield........ Golding could be a target and a season's loan deal might be a possibility.

Paul

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th October 2017 at 10:01.

Grand Master
    Having just watched the World Cup Final I thought I`d resurrect the Rugby League thread.

Australia 6 England 0.......feeling totally deflated having watched the game.

Great match, great effort from both sides, Aussies were there for the taking near the end...... just the wrong result.

Oh well, I suppose it's only a game.

Paul

I was listening on 5 Live, and to be honest it was made worse by the negativity of the commentator and his side kick - moan, moan moan.

Not the best result however lets not forget they were the World champs.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    negativity of the commentator and his side kick - moan, moan moan.
    Northerners? It just the way many of us are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk