closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb new member

Journeyman

Dumb new member

Good evening all,

I have read many articles from this forum previously, and have decided that its about time I got involved myself.

Ive always had an interest in Watches, The mechanics of automatics just blows me away. I am however an absolute layman.

I am currently in the process of buying my first home, and I've decided that once that is all settled i am going to buy my first "decent" watch.
    Torn between a Breitling Colt 44 Auto on a bracelet, or the Tudor black bay Bronze. I fell in love a little with the colt when i first saw it, but the bronze and the patination that comes with it really appeals to me.

anyway, be gentle!

Cheers

Lucky

Bronze!!! Do it....and welcome to the forum and never being able to save any money ever again

The Tudor is probably a good call to try. Buy at a little discount and straymat least you didn't lose much. Buy the Networking Breitling and expect to lose at least 50% if you don't get a very good discount.
    It's just a matter of time...

Welcome, hope that you enjoy it here

I think that the Tudor looks better, is easier to flip and has more WIS kudos

Journeyman
    WIS Kudos? haha, yes I'm a member of other EDC forums, I'm familiar with the buy both policy that seems prevalent

The price of the Tudor seems to vary wildly between different retailers, is this the norm?

Blog Entries
    Welcome and enjoy.

You will end up with both, trust me, so which ever takes your fancy first..

Pitch

Welcome to the forum. I would choose the Tudor over the Breitling.

Master
    Welcome to the forum

Master
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

Welcome
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

welcome to the forum.

I'd go with the Tudor. but, can't go wrong either way.

Master
    Welcome onboard and it is a vote for the Tudor from me also.

Personally I would go with the Tudor. You can't really make a wrong decision here, you are in the right place to flip it too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Welcome, and two good choices.
    Personally, I think the Breitling comes a close (not too close!) second to the Tudor, but I'm biased because I love Tudor Black Bays.

Welcome to the fold sir!

The Breitling and Tudor are very different from each other. You must go with the one which appeals more to you. The watch will pick you and not the other way around, if you catch my drift.

Good luck with your purchase, whichever one you choose.

Just my 2p worth, I'd go with the black bay ;)

Journeyman
    The Tudor gets my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Dumb new member

Welcome Lucky21, another vote for the Tudor from me but I'm biased since I own a BBB myself! However both are solid choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there. Enjoy the forum. There really is a wealth of information on here. I would prefer the bronze Tudor personally.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bronze all day - but I admire the "new guy" naivety that you won't end up with both and 5 other things you didn't know you "absolutely had to have" when this craziness started.
    Get out while you can...

Journeyman
    I originally started out on custom knife forums, and from there I discovered the bug of wanting more than you will ever need lol.

The Tudor really does seem to be getting the most love, is it just because being bronze it's a bit different? Or am I missing something.

I do really like the Colt, a lot of Breitlings don't really appeal to me, they seem a bit hit or miss.

With the Colt however it does feel a bit like it's the budget version of the brand. The Porsche Boxster if you will, it has the name, but it's no 911....

Can I have some arguments for and against either or both please 😃

Welcome from Gods own county 👍🏻

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried either on or viewed through windows and online?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Welcome from Gods own county 👍🏻
    Haha cheers! Where abouts in the Shire are you from?

I've tried the Colt on, and looked at the black bays in the shop, but nowhere has had the BBB in store to see in the flesh sadly.

benwoodroffe
    Welcome, indeed get used to trying watches on whenever you can - it'll save you a load of messing about.

I went looking to try on a Pelagos the other day, tried this, three of the black bays and the north flag and came out thinking I need to have the north flag - despite it being the least similar watch to the Pelagos.

Welcome to the forum. Tudor Bronze is a stunning watch.

First automatic I bought was a colt GMT 15 years ago. Still have it and still wear it. Looks great on leather or the SS strap. Try one on as they do look small on large wrists. You can't loose much on a used one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
    With the Colt however it does feel a bit like it's the budget version of the brand. The Porsche Boxster if you will, it has the name, but it's no 911....

Can I have some arguments for and against either or both please 
    Not the best analogy as many think the Boxter/Cayman are a better drive than the 911. Me included

Anyway, back to watches. I see the point you make about the Breitling, for me it's the band that feels a bit low rent. Would be much nicer (I think) on a nice leather strap, ideally deployment.

The Colt has the lowest calibre auto movement, which will make a difference to some and not others. I guess the thing about the Tudor is that it's a simple style, well built and is not at all "flash"

I quite like the Colt to be honest.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    Not the best analogy as many think the Boxter/Cayman are a better drive than the 911. Me included

Anyway, back to watches. I see the point you make about the Breitling, for me it's the band that feels a bit low rent. Would be much nicer (I think) on a nice leather strap, ideally deployment.

The Colt has the lowest calibre auto movement, which will make a difference to some and not others. I guess the thing about the Tudor is that it's a simple style, well built and is not at all "flash"

I quite like the Colt to be honest.
    lol sadly I've not driven either, was going with a purely monetary perspective.

The Colt does look really nice on leather, the one i handled was on a bracelet, which felt fine, but i don't have any real experience with decent watch bracelets tbh.

Im not too arsed regarding the movement, in my mind (i can already feel the abuse I'm gonna get for this statement) virtually no automatic will keep the time as well as a £10 digital combat casio. Its all just about the magic of the mechanics of it all for me.

Craftsman
    There's nothing wrong with not being overly bothered about the calibre of movement, each to their own.

If you take a look at the Omega band and you'll see what I mean. Similar price but far superior I think. Anyway, if I were to buy a Colt, it would be on a Croc Deployment.

Journeyman
    It used to be all about the Omega seamaster for me, not sure why but seem to have gone off it nowadays. My ultimate is still, rather predictably, a black Sub.

Master
    Tudor BBB vote from me too......as a backup for my Sea Dweller. We clearly have similar tastes!

Welcome from another relative newbie.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Tudor BBB vote from me too......as a backup for my Sea Dweller. We clearly have similar tastes!

Welcome from another relative newbie.

you have a sea dweller and you take it off.....? whats wrong with you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Welcome to the fold sir!

The Breitling and Tudor are very different from each other. You must go with the one which appeals more to you. The watch will pick you and not the other way around, if you catch my drift.

Good luck with your purchase, whichever one you choose.

Just my 2p worth, I'd go with the black bay ;)
    All of the above, except I'd personally favour the Breitling. I've never really "got" the BB, if they took a couple of mil from the case and put it on a 20mm bracelet I might think otherwise.

Journeyman
    A random point regarding the Tudor, it comes with two straps. How easy is it to change the strap yourself, and do you need a special tool?

Journeyman
    Also just spotted this in another thread:
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...PEA003_LRG.jpg

like a beater version of a ball train master roman numeral, another favourite of mine....

Journeyman
    The Tudor is a beaut, but for the same money I could get the Colt and a Precista PRS 30 to cover the bronze aspect...... tough decisions lol

It's already started i see ;)

You could do that, but you'd still not have the BB bronze...

It's always cheaper, in the long run, to buy what you want first off

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    It's already started i see ;)

You could do that, but you'd still not have the BB bronze...

It's always cheaper, in the long run, to buy what you want first off
    if thats the case, maybe i should bin both ideas and wait a few more years for a Sub.....

not sure I'm that patient lol

if thats the case, maybe i should bin both ideas and wait a few more years for a Sub.....

not sure I'm that patient lol
    If you buy well you can minimise your losses. Can. Sometimes...

Journeyman
    That is a very good point....

Has to be the BB Bronze in my opinion. Very cool watch!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    Has to be the BB Bronze in my opinion. Very cool watch!!

The only issue i have with the bronze is that i don't think it would ever really work with a bracelet... thoughts?

The only issue i have with the bronze is that i don't think it would ever really work with a bracelet... thoughts?
    That is true, I wouldn't rely on a bronze as my only watch due to the limited combinations - it's been mentioned before, you'll probably end up getting both

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    That is true, I wouldn't rely on a bronze as my only watch due to the limited combinations - it's been mentioned before, you'll probably end up getting both

I wonder how long the bronze will be made for, or whether it will be in limited numbers.

The saleswoman at an AD i spoke to said that so far Tudor can't make them fast enough.

AD say a lot of things, sometimes a small number of the things they say turn out to be true. My guess is that they are making exactly as many of them that they want to.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    AD say a lot of things, sometimes a small number of the things they say turn out to be true. My guess is that they are making exactly as many of them that they want to.
    Haha fair one, guess if they are selling it makes sense to keep making them.

Welcome!

I would go for the Breitling, I just love the brand to be honest and the product, hence why I have 5 of the buggers.

The Tudor doesnt float my boat, neither does Rolex if I am honest. The Tudor Pelagos is a favourite of mine to be fair,just wish it was slightly bigger for my wrists.

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

Master
    you have a sea dweller and you take it off.....? whats wrong with you lol
    My Sea Dweller is away for Steven Hale to work his magic. It's led a very hard life, and I am a bit nervous about subjecting it to more abuse....

Further, what was a £270 watch is now worth many times what I would normally pay for a car....

I lucked in all those years ago. It is an early Double Red..,,,

Master
    I've also promised the DR to my first grandson, and now am lucky enough to have 2.....so need something else that will hold decent value so I can pass on in time (pun intended).