closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: battle of the £3,000 blue divers ( tudor vs omega vs breitling )

Quote Originally Posted by JD140 View Post
    This is a very well known high street jeweller (Jewish sounding) who to date I've bought The Seamaster and an Aqua Terra, needless to say I won't be returning for so much as a tube of polish in the future. Are these people doing so well they don't need repeat custom, or is it just down to poor sales staff????
    We're more than happy to name and shame on here. Retailers often get mentioned, both good and bad.

There's really no need to be cryptic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We're more than happy to name and shame on here. Retailers often get mentioned, both good and bad.

There's really no need to be cryptic.
    Great stuff, was a bit wary to mention 'Goldsmiths', but also bloody annoyed at such an insulting offer. As mentioned they certainly won't be seeing anymore business from me!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    We've just had "Jewish sounding "and "Shyster" brought into this discussion . I'm becoming a bit uncomfortable with this in general.
    Fact most jewellers offer you shite deals on your sell on ( maybe Rolex is different ) be it Jew, Gentile, Hindi or whoever. If your that concerned get a commision deal and try not to link parsimony with a religion.
    Please don't take my comment and rearrange it out of context.

Regarding shite deals on trade-ins, I've found dealers I've used in the past to offer exceedingly good values if the watch I was trading in was originally purchased from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Unless the SMPc was battered in those 7 months I think the jeweller should be outed for such a shyster offer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I honestly think it was a good offer from an AD. How much do you think they'd be paying for a new one, wtf would they be offering substantially more for a used one?

I, and many others, certainly wouldn't be offering much more, and that's if it was perfect!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 3rd February 2017 at 21:29.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I honestly think it was a good offer from an AD. How much do you think they'd be paying for a new one, wtf would they be offering substantially more for a used one?

I, and many others, certainly wouldn't be offering much more, and that's if it was perfect!
    Assuming it was perfect (or as perfect and complete as a 7 month old used watch could be) and with the person buying another watch at RRP, I think 45% off the original selling price at trade-in is low. Of course it could have been kicked around the car park beforehand, in which case that was an exceedingly generous offer.

Even perfect they are offering a fair price for trade. They go for around £1600-£1750 used privately, so why would a dealer (or more specifically an AD!) pay more for a used watch from a customer than they would for a brand new unworn watch directly from the brand? Doesn't make sense to me.

My best guess is that around 35-45% off is about the going rate for most general Omega watches sold privately used.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Even perfect they are offering a fair price for trade. They go for around £1600-£1750 used privately, so why would a dealer (or more specifically an AD!) pay more for a used watch from a customer than they would for a brand new unworn watch directly from the brand? Doesn't make sense to me.

My best guess is that around 35-45% off is about the going rate for most general Omega watches sold privately used.
    Because I imagine the dealer is making full margin on the new watch which could, depending on what was being traded, offset a more generous trade-in price, especially if it's repeat custom. I saw the offer as being on the low side, but it's all academic.

Craftsman
    Breitling or Tudor. I just don't like the Seasalter other than the waves fact and the hands

Master
    This one https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-di...055-07-5-21-02 at half budget.

The best thing they've done in years.

Omega first, then Tudor for me. Breitling doesn't get a look in as far as I'm concerned.

Omega any day of the week.

Like someone else said higher up this thread, I can't look at the Omega without thinking '1990s design'. I'd have the Tudor Pelagos or a Breitling Superocean. Having said that, I prefer my blue bezel Blackbay.

As someone suggest above, the Steelfish would probably solve the problem!

I honestly prefer the SMPc in black, it's way nicer and the Tudor ist intriguing, I do get the strange sensation however that I would become bored with it fairly quickly.

Master
    Omega - or have a look at these.

Master
    and a cheaper alternative to chuck in the mix, own one of these and they are hefty and properly engineered for diving

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Yes, it's not in-house, but significantly modified with co-axial escapement. Most of Omega's more expensive range such as the Planet Ocean 8500, Aqua Terra, Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial, etc, are now in-house.
    Perhaps not in house but definitely an in group movement as both ETA and Omega are Swatch owned.

FWIW I'd choose the Seamaster over the other two.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    and a cheaper alternative to chuck in the mix, own one of these and they are hefty and properly engineered for diving

This is nice , I must say

Seikoboy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Omega - or have a look at these.

These Oris watches are a really smart alternative to the usual candidates.

Tudor Pelagos would be my choice, I really like the idea of the sprung clasp and of the three, I think the styling is the most timeless.

I own the blue dial SMPc so I'm biassed (for Omega!); the lacquered blue dial is truly gorgeous (at least to my eyes). But your preference is key!

Omega SMP, it's a classic, and the 90s are coming back into fashion soon you know!

For me, there is no blue faced watch worth £3k - just saying.......

(Do not do blue).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

TZUK answer at it's finest!^^ Maybe read the OP's question first?

Pelagos all day long for me. Would never be without mine.

Have been looking at this recently too and also well within your budget.....https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...96205447100931

Craftsman
    Omega for me any time - but I can see the appeal of the other options.

Not had any of the three you state in blue, just a Pelagos in black, loved it and truly regret selling. To me I struggle with most Breitling offerings and Omega just don't attract any love either. The Oris is a nicely made watch but a lot of shiny surfaces but loads cheaper, so on reflection the Tudor for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Yes, it's not in-house, but significantly modified with co-axial escapement. Most of Omega's more expensive range such as the Planet Ocean 8500, Aqua Terra, Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial, etc, are now in-house.
    Strictly speaking, that's correct, the 2500D in the SMPc is based on the ETA 2892.........but why's this a drawback?

I'll never understand why people get hung up on the 'in-house' thing thesedays. If I was looking to buy one of the 3 watches suggested I'd buy the one I preferred after trying them, the movement wouldn't be a consideration.

Much as I despise Swatch Group the Omega is the one to go for.

Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    TZUK answer at it's finest!^^ Maybe read the OP's question first?

Pelagos all day long for me. Would never be without mine.

Have been looking at this recently too and also well within your budget.....https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...96205447100931
    This tag isn't too bad and a hefty discount too

Seikoboy