closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you? - version 2

Master

Would you? - version 2

Following this thread I have a similar dilemma - or at least I will when I finally reach the top of the waiting list.

My trade would be:

Zenith 36000:

+ Rolex Exp II 42mm:

+ a bit of cash

for the white Daytona ceramic.

Part of the motivation is that the 40mm Rolex case is a better fit on my wrist than both the Zenith and the ExpII, which are both on the limit of my preferred lug-to-lug size.

What's the verdict?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.
    But then again I'm biased by not being exceptionally keen on zenith and finding the 42mm exp a bit on the large side. I don't think it's a model that's going to rise.
    The current Daytona prices are ridiculous though so not if it's massively inflated above list.

benwoodroffe
    Would you not want to go for the 38mm zenith and the older 40mm exp ii?

Master
    Blog Entries
    In a heart beat. I would imagine that its a lot of cash you need to add.

Yes probably,but I wouldn't pay over the odds to much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    And again, never.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Yes probably,but I wouldn't pay over the odds to much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if its a little bit of cash no brainer, but unless you have one waiting for you it will be 6k

Master
    If the Daytona is a better fit for you then, yes. I guess it is dependant a bit on the age of the watches but I suspect you will have to add quite a bit of cash. That stated I personally like the size of the Zenith/EP so would not do the deal myself.

Well I would.

Master
    To be clear, I would only do this if/when I can buy a Daytona at list from an AD. I would then sell the EP and the Exp privately, so yes there would be some cash involved, but not crazy amounts. The EP and Exp are both 3 or 4 years old.

I think the 42mm ExpII is probably the best modern Rolex, bar the 16600 SD. I'd still like a Daisy though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Not for me. Two stunners you already have there

I would rather have the Daytona at RRP than the two watches that you currently own, so a do it from me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    To be clear, I would only do this if/when I can buy a Daytona at list from an AD. I would then sell the EP and the Exp privately, so yes there would be some cash involved, but not crazy amounts. The EP and Exp are both 3 or 4 years old.
    cant see any Daytonas being available at list for a couple of years unless you have a relationship with an AD.

They won't go from £6k premium to available in a year or two.

Master
    ^^^ better hope the AD comes good then, hadn't I?

In a heartbeat - I must admit to not getting Zenith though.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I'd be tempted to trade for a 38mm EP and a 16570 Explorer II while you're waiting, do something sensible with the cash that's released so it grows, and see if you prefer the size and still want to change when the Daytona finally comes up. With luck you'll be closer to it and have enjoyed the wait more. Depending on servicing costs of course, so you'd need the right deals.

I prefer the 2 you have to be honest.

Sent from my U15 Pro using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'd be tempted to trade for a 38mm EP and a 16570 Explorer II while you're waiting, do something sensible with the cash that's released so it grows, and see if you prefer the size and still want to change when the Daytona finally comes up. With luck you'll be closer to it and have enjoyed the wait more. Depending on servicing costs of course, so you'd need the right deals.
    I know I prefer the 40mm Rolex case (I have a GMTc) but I also prefer the newer bracelet so I think the 16570 might not be a good move - although it's one I've considered plenty in the past. The EP is my only Zenith and although I'd prefer the lugs to be a couple of mm shorter, I still enjoy wearing it. Anyway, based on my track record flipping these two for two similar but smaller watches would end up costing me...

The annoyance here is the lack of certainty concerning the timing of the Daytona, but in the end, it's not a massive issue either way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ better hope the AD comes good then, hadn't I?
    Which is what most people are doing? But this thread makes no sense. Anyone given half a chance to swap these two for a Daytona at RRP. Even if they loved these two watches and hated the Daytona. They didn't want the Daytona, they could sell it buy back the two watches they sold and pick up a very nice third.

The other thread at least talks about trading in two watches worth the current value of a ceramic Daytona ~£14k for the watch.

This thread might as well say. I have £8k, would you trade that for a watch that is worth £14k?

Sorry, I just don't get the point. Unless you are saying would you trade in these two and add several thousand to buy a Daytona.

Master

Would you? - version 2

Then you're missing the point. I don't know what else to say.

It's not about money, it's about choice. If I bought a Daytona, I'd buy it to wear, not to flip.

With patience it will be possible to buy a Daytona at £9.1k (or whatever the prevailing list price is at the time). As and when that happens for me, I'll have to decide whether to sell these two. Or not. That's the choice, and that's the point of the thread.

This time, yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Then you're missing the point. I don't know what else to say.

It's not about money, it's about choice. If I bought a Daytona, I'd buy it to wear, not to flip.

With patience it will be possible to buy a Daytona at £9.1k (or whatever the prevailing list price is at the time). As and when that happens for me, I'll have to decide whether to sell these two. Or not. That's the choice, and that's the point of the thread.
    I don't think I am. I've heard lists are usually 20-25 people long at ADs with them only getting 1 of each version per year. Rolex might speed up the supply but there's a good chance the waiting list for most will be 5+ years.

It doesn't make a difference if someone offered you a trade of a Daytona for your two watches and £2k, you would think all you Christmasses had come at once. Your argument about you buying as you want to wear the Daytona is fair enough but even if you didn't like the watch you would do the trade.

It would be the same as if someone offered £12k to buy your watches. There is no way you would turn it down.

Some people on the list will get Daytonas but I would expect them to go to people who have bought several high end watches from them in the past.

What I am saying is that everyone on this thread could say yes, you could think yes but you couldn't just go and do it. The guy on the other thread could trade both his watches and comfortably go a buy a ceramic Daytona
    Last edited by JPCain86; 13th January 2017 at 23:05.

Master
    Sigh. If I didn't like the Daytona, there would be no thread, never mind no trade. Whatever you've heard about waiting lists etc, the fact is there are streams of people buying the Daytona at list price -some in U.K and plenty elsewhere. Some wear them/keep them and some supply the grey dealers who then offer them at an inflated price.

So again, I'd will only do this if I liked the watch enough. Simple as that.

Craftsman
    Question - slightly OT but given a number of the grey market watches are likely coming from abroad given finite UK supply, if you buy a non-EU watch from a grey dealer then what's the position with duty/VAT. Presume the grey dealer would be bound to deal with this prior to selling it to someone in the UK?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Question - slightly OT but given a number of the grey market watches are likely coming from abroad given finite UK supply, if you buy a non-EU watch from a grey dealer then what's the position with duty/VAT. Presume the grey dealer would be bound to deal with this prior to selling it to someone in the UK?
    You wouldn't have to pay vat if bought from a grey dealer within the EU. Watch purchased outside the EU would be subject to VAT.

Master
    Blog Entries

So again, I'd will only do this if I liked the watch enough. Simple as that.
    If that is true. Why are you asking the forum what they would do?

The truth is you will do this when offered by your AD which is likely going to be in 3+ years.

Master
    If I wanted a Daytona, I'd buy the classic Steel for less, frankly. Ceramic isn't work the markup and the steel daytona is a stone cold design classic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    If that is true. Why are you asking the forum what they would do?

The truth is you will do this when offered by your AD which is likely going to be in 3+ years.
    Thanks for your insight. :roll:

Craftsman
    Tough one.

The Zenith is on my want list, but waiting for 2nd hand pricing to go lower.

I sold a white exploer as I felt it wore big - I kinda regret it now.

But - Daytona's are a level above, and would prefer one of those to both the above!

I can't speak for the Zenith but I assume that this would be an easy exchange to reverse out of so I'd say go ahead; particularly as you seem to have the wrong size Explorer anyway. The only small matter is finding that Daytona...

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    And again, never.
    This. I prefer the Zenith over the Daytona.

Master
    It would surely be a wedge of cash - that would buy you another fancy watch (e.g. nice pre-owned Milgauss), so less straightforward than a swap. Those are two great watches and that Exp looks perfect on your wrist IMO.

Journeyman
    No way.

Craftsman
    Absolutely do it, you have the gmt master II to cover the explorer hole. Do it do it do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    Absolutely do it, you have the gmt master II to cover the explorer hole. Do it do it do it.
    Haha. Thanks for your support Pete!

Master
    Apologies for the thread resurrection...

When I started this thread back in January, my question was whether or not to swap a Zenith 36000 + 42mm Rolex Explorer II + cash for a Daytona C.

Today, I finally reached the top of the AD list and the Daytona is waiting for me. The only problem is.... I already sold the Zenith to fund a YM and swapped the 42mm ExpII for a 40mm version - so, it's time for plan B.... sell something else. :D

Kidney.
    "A man of little significance"

They're just watches,
    Last edited by number2; 20th October 2017 at 07:22.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Go for the white Daytona, sounds like thats what you really want in your heart

Master
    It's a done deal.

Blog Entries
    That is rather nice. Time to put the wife to work (sorry not very PC).

Craftsman
    Simply Awesome. Best looking daytona for a long time. Now where's the nato shot? ;)

A nice way to streamline the collection but where does one go from here?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It's a done deal.

Lovely. Give me a shout if you ever get tired of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    Simply Awesome. Best looking daytona for a long time. Now where's the nato shot? ;)

A nice way to streamline the collection but where does one go from here?
    No NATO’s here mate. And the streamlining starts today... but I’m not making any predictions about future direction...

It's a done deal.
    Lovely and very nice to hear of someone actually getting to the front of the queue. I'm on the Goldsmiths list, but was given the old seven year speech so have done a WTB in the meantime.

No NATO’s here mate. And the streamlining starts today... but I’m not making any predictions about future direction...
    Well it was my understanding that you are a recent convert to a well made NATO strap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Lovely and very nice to hear of someone actually getting to the front of the queue. I'm on the Goldsmiths list, but was given the old seven year speech so have done a WTB in the meantime.
    Thanks. Can't remember precisely when I joined the list (at an excellent smaller independent AD's who I have purchased from in the past), but it was certainly a while ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Well it was my understanding that you are a recent convert to a well made NATO strap!
    Fair comment Neil, although the Haveston straps seem to have removed the bits that make a strap a "NATO"?
    Last edited by downer; 21st October 2017 at 16:06.