closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waltham Diver repair? Where to go?

Master

Question Waltham Diver repair? Where to go?

I took a chance on an estate auction lot the other night on a Waltham diver watch, was on the original strap etc so ended up paying (what I now know) too much for a broken watch!

When I picked the watch up yesterday it was rattling and immediately I though thewinder weight had come off.

Watch was dead and I was very annoyed having just paid out, but that's the joy of auctions!

Anyway, having the hump I listed it on eBay as spares or repair.

Since I have had a proper look..

Yep, the weight had come off.. great I thought hopefully one of the screws was just lodged somewhere. Under my loupe, sure enough there it was on the escape wheel stopping preceedings!

I refitted the weight and she went to go then stopped..

On other inspection the gear that's connected to the second hand is the issue. The top spindle of the gear has snapped (assuming where someone has played with the winder with the jam) and the gear is able to move off centre and stop the movement!

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? If that little gear can stay centred I'm sure she'll run! Or is there any way to get parts?

See pics

The patient

The injury

With weight back

It does have its original strap still though, at least that's something haha.

Master
    What's the movement? That looks like a FHF symbol next to the balance but I can't make out the calibre number. Once you identified the movement check Cousins to see if they have a new fourth wheel in stock.

Master
    908 is the number, I did get some help from the watch repair forum but I've come to a dead end with spare parts

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    908 is the number, I did get some help from the watch repair forum but I've come to a dead end with spare parts
    center seconds ? cousins part ref FHF908227H585 could be what you are looking for. Do you have an account ?
    Last edited by animalone; 16th January 2017 at 20:55.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    center seconds ? cousins part ref FHF908227H585 could be what you are looking for. Do you have an account ?
    It is centre second, yes.

I've been on and ordered it, thank you!

I've no idea how you found it though? I've searched manually for it and can't find it apart from pasting the part no in the search.

I've no idea how you found it though? I've searched manually for it and can't find it apart from pasting the part no in the search.
    Years of practice

Using your watch as an example:

Cousins home page -> select watchparts -> select watchparts branded -> select FHF, Font -> where it says FHF calibre number type in 908 (your movement) and click lookup -> select 908 in the box on the right so that it is highlighted -> in the next box below highlight search all -> then click the red box "SEARCH FOR ITEMS (SHOW PRICE / AVAILIBILITY)"
    It should then bring up a list of all the available parts.

Master
    Haha, ok thanks. I'll give it a try.

Master

Thumbs up

Well I got the second wheel the other day and attempted the repair..

On relocating the bridge over the train wheels the third wheel didn't seem to be playing ball. Under closer inspection that has a missing tip to its axle too! I thought it was ok but there is a two stage axle coming up and the thinner part at the top is missing!

No problem, get a new one... ah, can't find one anywhere!

cousins ref: FHF905210 ???

Image from oldswisswatches.com

Master
    Yeah. No stock from what I can see :-(

Yeah. No stock from what I can see :-(
    Strange? It comes up as in stock on my log in do you want me to order one for you?

Master

That's very kind but I've been on and found it now.

No idea what's going on but I looked through the list about ten times yesterday! I can only assume I didn't have all the parts selected as looking today there's a lot more listed.

Apologies for the hassle but pleased you replied otherwise I'd not have tried again. I even emailed them and oldswiiswatch!

Thanks.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 21st January 2017 at 19:20.

That's very kind but I've been on and found it now.

No idea what's going on but I looked through the list about ten times yesterday! I can only assume I didn't have all the parts selected as looking today there's a lot more listed.

Apologies for the hassle but pleased you replied otherwise I'd not have tried again. I even emailed them and oldswiiswatch!

Thanks.
    No hassle at all, glad you are persevering it is a nice watch.
    More importantly, are you enjoying tinkering with the movement yourself?

Master
    I am indeed, yes. Certainly much more than trying to get my citizen Aqualand back together that's for sure! Stripped it to clean the pinion and wheels as it wasn't running and I'm struggling to get it back together!

I am indeed, yes. Certainly much more than trying to get my citizen Aqualand back together that's for sure! Stripped it to clean the pinion and wheels as it wasn't running and I'm struggling to get it back together!
    Stick with it, you will get there.
    personally I find I learn far more from the jobs that are a struggle and don't go to plan than I do from the jobs that are easy and by the numbers.