closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP Releases Royal Oak in Black Ceramic

AP Releases Royal Oak in Black Ceramic

My oh my, look at this:

http://www.salonqp.com/updates/new_w...black-ceramic/

I think it looks rather beautiful, but quite a price tag.
    The article mentions that AP will be using this material for more models in future....

Can't wait to see what else they will introduce at SIHH next week.
    Last edited by Hasan; 13th January 2017 at 14:11.

I took that photograph of the watch, it’s not what i was expecting and is quite hard/shiny looking and not a dull PVD/DLC like coating, it’s much nicer! a bit lighter too. as usual for Ap it oozes quality, i expect they will have a queue of customers wanting this watch.

It looks lovely although I kinda don't enjoy the tank tracks textured dial... I would have liked it blank but maybe that's just me.

It's called 'clous de Paris' and it is their signature dial for RO. Usually fab in the flesh.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Pretty amazing! It would be nice to see a classic 15202 RO in this material, I guess the question becomes what colour dial do you use, not such an issue on the perpetual calendar where black works fine, though I can imagine AP dark blue working too. Well done to MrSmith on the photo, what a great assignment. Most of us will be unlikely to ever get that close to one I'd imagine.

Now just imagine the embarrassment if one oligarch shows up in the dodgy Bamford black Nautilus shown in another thread, and oligarch #2 is rocking one of these... oh the shame!

Does anyone make a ceramic case in the colour of stainless steel?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Now just imagine the embarrassment if one oligarch shows up in the dodgy Bamford black Nautilus shown in another thread, and oligarch #2 is rocking one of these... oh the shame!
    I was just thinking that! A million times better. If AP don't need to grow the case size either then this would also be a great technical achievement too.

Master
    More details:

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Wouldn't that be great... probably the most useful advance in watchmaking imaginable to be honest (along will frictionless watches that need no lubrication or movement servicing at all, anyway). Perhaps that's what Omega were thinking with their 'Grey side of the moon' but it's something else completely in the end.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 13th January 2017 at 12:23.

P what a great assignment. Most of us will be unlikely to ever get that close to one I'd imagine.
    it was shot inside the strongroom/showroom at the manufacture. unfortunately it was the first day back and the hundred or so watches that usually reside there were not in place otherwise i could have tried the whole range on.

More details:

Wouldn't that be great... probably the most useful advance in watchmaking imaginable to be honest (along will frictionless watches that need no lubrication or movement servicing at all, anyway). Perhaps that's what Omega were thinking with their 'Grey side of the moon' but it's something else completely in the end.
    The video included in that link is very instructive as to how the ceramic is worked

Master
    Amazing. If I had £70,000 spare for watches I would join the probably very long queue.

Craftsman
    It looks fantastic , just need a lottery win and iam sorted . Hopefully the technology will trickle down to more affordable watches

Sent from my XT1039 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm quite surprised to see the amount of hand finishing indicated in the video. Having been an avid follower (and featured owner) of the lapping thread on here I would have expected the necessary crispness to be only achievable using a comparable machine. I suppose that AP can afford to employ people at the very top of their game.

That is very nice.

I think I'd still get a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms first after my lottery win, but I could be tempted to one of these too!

M

Master
    That looks great. I'd have one in a flash.

looks very nice , but what a price point :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I took that photograph of the watch, it’s not what i was expecting and is quite hard/shiny looking and not a dull PVD/DLC like coating, it’s much nicer! a bit lighter too. as usual for Ap it oozes quality, i expect they will have a queue of customers wanting this watch.
    Great photograph👍.

benwoodroffe
    great example of watchmaking, not the kind of thing i'd ever want though - just as well given the price !

Yes it's mint but I'd have to sell both arms and legs to pay for it ,and I doubt the bracelet will go around my neck ,so I'll give it a miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks great. Hopefully the ceramic casing and bracelet will work its way down from a perpetual to more affordable models in the future

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Omega gsotm is close

Journeyman
    Looks good!

Hodinkee are calling it “matte black brushed ceramic” they obviously haven’t seen the watch in person, it’s highly polished and then grained in parts, it has an almost glassy obsidian like quality and reflects the light much like a starburst dial. it’s not matte black and a long way from the matte Bamford RO

Master
    So nice. Shame about the £££.

Blog Entries
    What a breath of fresh air after those carbon disasters!

This looks really classy and suits the RO shape very well.

Now if they make the "classic" RO in this material they will have another winner at their hands.

Price is not important with these, they will sell anyway. (well, not to me that is)...........

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    I have a ceramic bezel on my 44 so can imagine how awesome a full ceramic would be, but I'd like a simple blue dial more and that price too!