closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbour footware - or other boot recommendation

Master

Barbour footware - or other boot recommendation

Just wondering if anyone has any experience? Looking to buy some winter boots for the trek to uni, as my current leather shoes are anything but waterproof, and*cheap hiking boots don't quite match the rest of my every day attire.

Saw this*which looks nice http://www.barbour.com/uk/categories...=mens-footwear

But am struggling to find any reviews or opinions on them.

If not, anyone got anything they might recommend. £150 is probably top of*my budget unless I sell a watch. I always wear smart casual (navy/black denim trousers or corduroys, wool jumpers, barbour/overcoat) so want some waterproof boots which would*not look out of place.

Any thoughts welcome. I've read a number of the existing*threads but not seen much which worked for me. Must be brown :)
    Last edited by hafle; 12th January 2017 at 20:59.

Yes, i bought some lace up jobs. Very comfy, but the soles wore flat within a couple of months. In fairness, they were withdrawn from sale before too long.

Master
    The ones in the link look pretty good. They have a commando sole so should last well (more than a winter anyway). The fabric section will probably help them wear in quickly too. Look quite smart.

Last year I bought some boots from Superdry in the sale (after a tip off here) - they were by Cheaney and very good. Might be worth looking around to see what is left in the sales? I saw some regular Cheaney's in the sales last year at about the same price.

If you're a size 10 - http://www.superdry.com/mens/sale-fo...ob-boots-black - not bad for £45! Sorry, just noticed you want brown.

Check out Ted Baker as in the Bicester outlet the other day there were some good brogue boots as very good prices.
    Last edited by bambam; 12th January 2017 at 21:12.

Just got some cat boots from Zalando. Really comfy and water proof

Herrings sale is still on, some Loakes in the right price range?
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/search...&submit=Search

Timberland ?

Alt-berg boots are great and made in the UK. Might be a shade over budget but shop around. Mine are ten years old and barely look worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    These are a little over your maximum but i have a pair and now I've worn them in are super warm and comfortable. Decent sole on them too.

http://www.russellandbromley.co.uk/b...hi/invt/568111

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The quality is nowhere near as good as Loakes for example however I don't think you'd expect it TBH.
    My pair is similar to those in the picture and the inlay around the heal peeled off in about 6 weeks, sent them back and the same thing happened again. So I pulled off the whole section on both heals.
    They are very comfortable but they look very shabby quite quickly with not a huge amount of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    Timberland ?
    My first thought, especially with the sales on..
    Id do the rounds, House of Fraser , John Lewis etc etc as there does seem to be a huge choice this January.

Try jones the boot maker. Got a 50% off sale on

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Yes, i bought some lace up jobs. Very comfy, but the soles wore flat within a couple of months. In fairness, they were withdrawn from sale before too long.
    I had exactly the same problem - however they were my gf's favourite shoes and those boots do look nice. I would say Timberland and bought some very sturdy shoes for visits to cold countries / winter use.

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...k/tbc-A185B001

A bit clumpy but work with a range of trousers as well as jeans

I bought a pair of these a couple years ago and worn them very often. They are still like new and all they require is some dubbin to nourish/protect/waterproof them.

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...-boot-74134210

They are by far the comfiest footwear I have ever had.

Master
    Picked up some of these last year after seeing them/similar ones on the winter boot thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timberland...sITMiS1CUclWGg

Are said to be factory seconds but without a detailed look are pretty much the same as my standard tan pair but are a little smarter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Barbour make great wax jackets but their shoes are overpriced and not very hard wearing. Go for ECCO Gortex range they are in the top league.
    Timberland did at one time make good shoes but not anymore, as now sadly they are just a fashion house
    Timberland still make decent boots outside of their "fashion" range (some of which are awful).

I've got four pairs (just had some 8yr old chukkas resoled)- all very comfortable and smart enough to wear in the office (on dress down days!)

I am on my third pair of Timberland boots. The first pair lasted years and the sole almost as new - the only part that gave up was the fabric/sponge ankle padding which I think is an easy repair. The second pair were the Earthkeeper type and whilst they were comfortable and light, the rubber sole lasted approx. two years. Now my third pair I have gone back to the normal boots which only look worn due to the scratches/scuffs. I think they are worth the money - even better if picked up in a sale.

Another vote for Timberland, not the fashion pap they turn out mind, it's the classic nubuck you want. Wipe with a damp cloth when mucky, spray with a suitable treatment and your feet will be warm and dry for years. You can pick them up for £130, maybe less in a sale. Some good repairers about to fit new sole units if required.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    If you want to save some money have a look on the Clarks website at there GTX range in the sale....most have 50 - 60% off and are decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I bought a pair of these a couple years ago and worn them very often. They are still like new and all they require is some dubbin to nourish/protect/waterproof them.

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...-boot-74134210

They are by far the comfiest footwear I have ever had.
    Im wearing that exact boot as I type - wonderful bit of kit and exceptionally comfortable. They're about £50 off through Timberland's Amazon shop at the moment too.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Just got some cat boots from Zalando. Really comfy and water proof
    I've got Cat Colorado boots, just the job for winter, cheap too, generally £40-50 from amazon

Master
    Ive looked at barbour footwear and it looks very poor quality for what it costs nothing like their clothing ranges

If anyone is looking for Timberland boots & is constrained by budget, I'd suggest looking at eBay seller 'elitesuperstores'. I've used them a couple of times.

Be sure to read the item description carefully re condition/storage/handling marks.
    ______

​Jim.

Banned
    I also recommend Timberland boots. I have an all black pair with Orthosoles.

I have a pair of Panama Jack boots that I have been very pleased with, just as an option. Otherwise timberland! 😄

What about a pair of DM boots? Can't go wrong with the originals, been wearing mine today and have had for nearly 5 years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Martens-...ords=dr+marten

Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like Barbour aren't worth it, I'll have a read up on the ones you've recommended

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    If anyone is looking for Timberland boots & is constrained by budget, I'd suggest looking at eBay seller 'elitesuperstores'. I've used them a couple of times.

Be sure to read the item description carefully re condition/storage/handling marks.
    Thats where the ones I linked to are from. As I said, there aren't any obvious signs they are seconds apart from the box being a bit knackered. Also have various offer codes to make them a bit cheaper than advertised

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Another vote for Timberland, not the fashion pap they turn out mind, it's the classic nubuck you want. Wipe with a damp cloth when mucky, spray with a suitable treatment and your feet will be warm and dry for years. You can pick them up for £130, maybe less in a sale. Some good repairers about to fit new sole units if required.

Have those too, the first pair (which I still have) are about 12 years old now and only recently have they started to look a bit worn. Have worn through a couple of sets of laces though. Got some replacements at their outlet shop in Bicester as a backup pair for when they finally give up the ghost!

My go to boots for the winter weather - classic 6" premium Timberlands.

Burnt orange ones are about 8 years old and humming along. Chocolate ones are a couple of years old and barely broken in. With a good pair of skinny jeans, I think they look good too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Burnt orange ones are about 8 years old and humming along. Chocolate ones are a couple of years old and barely broken in. With a good pair of skinny jeans, I think they look good too.
    I have 2 pairs of Timberland boots. Waterproofed leather, commando soles. Bought at the Bicester store, reduced from £140 to £40. Size 8.5, and very comfortable. I bought one pair, and they were so good, I found an excuse a few weeks later to go back and buy a second pair to have ready. But 189 months on, there is virtually no wear on the first pair, despite very regular walking in them.

Timberland

I've had mine for about ten years
    Wear them a few times a year
    Always warm and happy in them
    They do sell some lovely styles

Stop messing about, get some real boots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Br...VkKPyUd0YP5cQg

I have a pair, they keep your feet warm and dry, are comfortable and have the backing of H.M.'s forces.

Banned
    And look horrible all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    And look horrible all the while.
    As opposed to having wet, cold feet and looking "cool", yes.
    You can always pull your trouser/jean legs over the top, like I do. They look fine then...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    As opposed to having wet, cold feet and looking "cool", yes.
    You can always pull your trouser/jean legs over the top, like I do. They look fine then...
    Wouldn't really suit my smart casual attire.

I'm currently liking the look of the brown timberland classics.

My mistake, both pairs are Heritage Classic Premium boots, effectively the old skool original 6" Timberlands.

Looking around there's plenty of big discounts on 6" classic premiums which don't cut it for me, but much more difficult to get discount on the heritage type.

However, as these boots will last you 10 years, I highly recommend spending a few quid extra and going for the heritage type. They are just so much classier.

Dr Martens do some good boots, not just for the bovver boys

http://www.drmartens.com/uk/c/mens-originals

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Stop messing about, get some real boots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Br...VkKPyUd0YP5cQg

I have a pair, they keep your feet warm and dry, are comfortable and have the backing of H.M.'s forces.
    Things have obviously moved on since I left; it always used to be an article of faith that the British Army had sh;te boots and sh;te shirts*. Generally held to be the result of contracts being won by the lowest bidder.

*This is in addition to a general prediliction for attacking uphill, in the rain and on the corner of four maps.

Master
    I've a pair of Yuketen boots that are incredibly well made and as comfortable a boot as i've ever worn.

Craftsman
    How do Timberland fit? I'm a 10 in most trainers but have to size down for Red Wings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    How do Timberland fit? I'm a 10 in most trainers but have to size down for Red Wings.
    I go a size up with Timberlands

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    For me, half a size up compared with
    Loake for example, but half a size down compared with trainers (eg Nike).

Blog Entries
    I'm after a pair of Loakes Reading boots...

Anyone have any opinions (good or bad) & any decent deals to be had ?

Cheapest I've seen is £175.... but that's size 13 only.

z

Master
    I've worn timberlands for years but I got sick of them failing in short order they're definitely not what they used to be, a pair used to last me 5 years now I'm lucky to get 2 years. I've switched to dr martens for life cost around £150 but they replace or repair them for life. Hard to fault imo extremely comfortable look pretty smart and after being treated (nikwax spray) they've been completely waterproof, theoretically the last pair of boots I'll ever need to buy so far 2 years in and holding up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I've worn timberlands for years but I got sick of them failing in short order they're definitely not what they used to be, a pair used to last me 5 years now I'm lucky to get 2 years. I've switched to dr martens for life cost around £150 but they replace or repair them for life. Hard to fault imo extremely comfortable look pretty smart and after being treated (nikwax spray) they've been completely waterproof, theoretically the last pair of boots I'll ever need to buy so far 2 years in and holding up very well.
    Timberlands do a huge range of boots and some will be better than others.

I've found the heritage classic premiums to be bullet proof, and that's illustrated in the price as they are top of the range.

I wouldn't touch the earth keeper stuff, and find they also look cheap.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Maybe have a lok here

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/footwear

Silvermans sells other stuff as well and sometimes there are good deals to be had

Stuart

benwoodroffe
    I have a pair of fracaps - took a bit of breaking in but are now perfect.

Aquired taste style wise, but worth the price as a cut above most of the stuff sub £150

benwoodroffe
    The Barbour boat shoes I have had broke down pretty quickly, and seemed to be sized quite small, so consider going up a size also. They were ok shoes though
    Last edited by benwoodroffe; 15th January 2017 at 17:01.

Master
    Timberlands do a huge range of boots and some will be better than others.

I've found the heritage classic premiums to be bullet proof, and that's illustrated in the price as they are top of the range.

I wouldn't touch the earth keeper stuff, and find they also look cheap.
    They're the ones I've had that have failed in no time always worn the classic wheat coloured ones shown earlier in the thread but the last 2 pairs I had where nothing in comparison to how they used to be hence taking my money elsewhere. It's a shame because I loved them and they lasted really well so worth the premium however the first pair failure I put down to being a Friday afternoon pair and I'd been unlucky the second pair failing in a similar time frame I moved on and added them to the list of manufacturers who have sold out on quality a bit like hunter wellies have recently.