closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new arrival that is likely to divide opinion... even amongst fans of the brand!

A new arrival that is likely to divide opinion... even amongst fans of the brand!

I've had a Panerai in my collection on and off for a while now, having started out with a 111 a few years ago but then letting it go because I just wasn't wearing it often enough. Some of you may remember me posting about a new incoming last year in the shape of a Panerai 25. This was a proper old school Panerai, with an original tritium dial and I loved the fact that the titanium case made it lighter to wear than the 111 I owned previously. I wore it non-stop on holiday after I got it but then got back to work and slowly realised that wearing a (non-diving!) suit throughout the week just doesn't mix well with the standard Luminor case so the 25 has suffered the same fate as the 111 before it: a great watch but one that isn't getting the wrist time it deserves and so it is now on SC, patiently waiting for a new owner who will appreciate and wear it more than I have!

Where does that leave me? Well, I still love the brand. Whatever your opinion of them, there is no mistaking a Panerai, especially one with a crown guard, and I wanted to have one in my collection. Before I finally found "the right" 25, I had been looking at the 535. It had a lovely hobnail dial, like the 25, but was slightly smaller at 42mm and I did think it might be more practical than the 111 I had previously owned. When I tried one on (numerous times!), there was something that didn't feel spot on about the proportions of the case. It is still a very tall watch and that, combined with the 42mm size, meant that the 25 won the day.

Last year, however, Panerai launched a new line of watches that are as close as you're going to get to a "dress" Panerai: the Luminor Due ("two" in Italian and supposedly the second chapter of the Luminor case). What does this actually mean? Well, the case itself is up to 40% thinner than the comparable original Luminor case, which means it fits nicely under a cuff. On the downside, the water resistance is only 30 metres, which some argue is completely at odds with what Panerai are all about.

For me, this is no big deal, as I've only ever been a "desk diver". The added bonus is the finish on the dials are a sunburst effect, similar to that on the Panerai 605 Firenze Limited Edition, which I loved but was far too big for me at 47mm. So I've ended up with a Panerai 676, which is a 42mm size with a P.1000 calibre manual wind in-house movement and a 10.5mm thick case. It won't be to everyone's taste but it works for me!

For those of you who have bothered to read this far (and for those of you who haven't and just opened the thread for pictures!), here are a few quick shots taken today:

These two show off the way the dial looks different in different lighting...

Here are a couple of pictures of the movement...

And finally a couple of poor attempts at showing how thin it is...

And just to provoke some discussion, here's one of the 25 for those who don't think my new one is a "real" Panerai!

I would be interested in your thoughts!

All the best,

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they're really beautiful. Particularly the grey dial rg version.
    30m wr though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^^ the kampfschwimmers didn't swim deep!!!

mike

Master
    What a simple, yet very classy design..... Cool indeed!

Very nice... so where were the piccies taken - that does not look like the gloomy uk !

Blog Entries
    Wonderful new addition and I have always been a 'hob-nail" fan.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think they're really beautiful. Particularly the grey dial rg version.
    30m wr though.
    The wr is the price you pay unfortunately Celia (not that it matters to me!) I did try the rose gold version too and you're right - that dial is great. The blue strap that it comes with, however...!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ the kampfschwimmers didn't swim deep!!!

mike
    Haha Mike - that is one way of looking at it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    What a simple, yet very classy design..... Cool indeed!
    Thanks Pete - it does indeed remind me of my old 111 in some respects.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Very nice... so where were the piccies taken - that does not look like the gloomy uk !
    Hi Matt, long time, no see! The first two were in the back of a car on the way back from a client meeting in Saudi Arabia, the next four were taken under a lamp in the airport lounge in Bahrain whilst waiting for my flight home and the one of the 25 was taken on a whale watching tour in San Diego (there were no whales to watch so the Panerai was the next best thing to take pictures of...!) You don't fancy a 25 back in your collection by any chance, do you...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Wonderful new addition and I have always been a 'hob-nail" fan.

Enjoy
    Cheers Pitch! The hobnail certainly has something about it that lifts it above a standard dial and for that reason I much prefer the 25 to the 24.

Master
    Nice looker, but I would say that as I have the Radiomir 1940 version PAM00512, same-ish case, same movement and strap, only real difference is the crown and crown guard.

Hang on, that's odd, locking crown mechanism but only 30m WR?
    Mines just a screw in but has 100m WR.

Not that it matters tbh

Master
    Really nice and I suspect it would appeal to non-WISs for the very reasons it may not appeal to Panerai fans.
    The WR seems an odd one though, have they explained any reasoning as to why it couldn't be more?
    Last edited by deepreddave; 12th January 2017 at 21:11.

Craftsman
    I wouldn't be concerned about the WR, it's a lovely looking watch.

I expect the vast majority of dive watches have never got wet let alone been submerged beyond 30m.

None of my watches have ever gone beyond a few metres deep in the sea/swimming pool

Journeyman
    I fell in love with the Panerai 1950 bronze!

Soon reset my expectations as I am new to this watch stuff and saw the prices, even though there are a bout 5 on Chrono24

benwoodroffe
    Looks cool, a pretty perfect smart casual watch.

Love the simplicity of that. Beautiful in every way to me.

Blog Entries
    Really nice that... 42mm is plenty big enough and I bet it's comfy on the wrist... very cool

Journeyman
    I'm a fan of panerai and I really like this. Simple and very elegant. Enjoy!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Master
    They make my favourite bracelets. I love the sub on bracelet!

I just can't understand how difficult/minimum expense it would have been for a 100m version
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Lovely. A sensible size that could tempt me back to the brand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I need to phone my AD - they promised me to call when they had a Due. If there's one on someone's wrist then they're slacking!

Lovely - congratulations

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post

Not that it matters tbh
    From what I've read the reduced WR is more to do with having to slim down the glass and case than the crown mechanism. Makes sense to me as the large glass surface area would become vulnerable quickly under pressure - it would have to be domed steeply to increase strength if thinner

Congratulations on picking up a lovely piece. I do wonder if the 30m water resistance is less about the problems to achieve it and more about subtly moving away from the tool-like persona of the brand? Look at Eddies PRS20, with push-in crown, larger crystal surface area and 100m water resistance as an example.

Not really dividing opinion after all!

Very nice!
    I don't mind the 30m water resistance at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Couple of questions out of interest:

(1) What's your wrist size?

(2) Did you try on the 45mm? Seems to me it wouldn't look too out of place on a small wrist as the 45mm Radiomir just about works on my 6.75" wrist

Grand Master
    Just finished working on a Panarai homage that's 45mm and 13.5mm thick......looks like I've tied a clock to my 6.75" wrist!

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeh, but the Due is 10.7mm - similar to the Radiomir :)

Master
    These are really growing on me. Initially I thought these were ridiculous. But after a while those 44-47mm panerais really start to weigh your wrist down (at least for me). I just find them too heavy and clunky even though when you strap it on, it looks good at the start, i constantly find myself taking it off now and then.

Might give these a shot tbh.

Congrats and thanks for pics.

Master
    A big thumbs up from me too.

I had a 392, but I really don't like dates on Panerai (or on anything for that matter). Your 676 looks perfect!

Cheers,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Nice looker, but I would say that as I have the Radiomir 1940 version PAM00512, same-ish case, same movement and strap, only real difference is the crown and crown guard.

Not that it matters tbh
    They are indeed similar looking and I did consider a 512 when they were first released but I'm a fan of the crown guard so this was a winner for me, despite the WR.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Really nice and I suspect it would appeal to non-WISs for the very reasons it may not appeal to Panerai fans.
    The WR seems an odd one though, have they explained any reasoning as to why it couldn't be more?
    I suspect you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Not really dividing opinion after all!
    I think I would have got a very different response if I'd posted on Paneristi...!

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I fell in love with the Panerai 1950 bronze!

Soon reset my expectations as I am new to this watch stuff and saw the prices, even though there are a bout 5 on Chrono24
    You should take a look at Anonimo - they were one of the first bronze dive watches. I owned one for a while and it was a very nice watch (and much more reasonably priced than the Panerai...!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Lovely. A sensible size that could tempt me back to the brand.
    Thanks Cliff - you should definitely take a look at one then!

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I need to phone my AD - they promised me to call when they had a Due. If there's one on someone's wrist then they're slacking!

Lovely - congratulations
    I first tried one on in the US last year - they seemed to be pretty plentiful there. Harrods certainly have them in stock in the UK (well, one less 676 than they had before now...!)

From what I've read the reduced WR is more to do with having to slim down the glass and case than the crown mechanism. Makes sense to me as the large glass surface area would become vulnerable quickly under pressure - it would have to be domed steeply to increase strength if thinner
    This is interesting. I tried a quick search when the initial question was asked but couldn't find anything conclusive. Do you have a link please?

Couple of questions out of interest:

(1) What's your wrist size?

(2) Did you try on the 45mm? Seems to me it wouldn't look too out of place on a small wrist as the 45mm Radiomir just about works on my 6.75" wrist
    My wrist is the same size as yours and I did try the 45mm but being thinner than most other 45mm Panerai gave it a bit of a dinner plate look on my wrist. I think the 42mm is just right!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    These are really growing on me. Initially I thought these were ridiculous. But after a while those 44-47mm panerais really start to weigh your wrist down (at least for me). I just find them too heavy and clunky even though when you strap it on, it looks good at the start, i constantly find myself taking it off now and then.

Might give these a shot tbh.

Congrats and thanks for pics.
    Thanks! The titanium on my 25 certainly reduced the heavy feel but the 676 is very comfortable. I think a lot of the comfort is down to the type of strap too, which is why I tend to stick to OEM and OEM-style straps. You should definitely give one a try!

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    A big thumbs up from me too.

I had a 392, but I really don't like dates on Panerai (or on anything for that matter). Your 676 looks perfect!

Cheers,

Simon
    Thanks Simon! I remember back when you got your 392. We never did meet up for me to take a look but I'd be more than happy to grab a coffee next time you're in London if you'd like to see the 676 in person.

All the best,

Paul

Craftsman
    really nice watch,the finish is superb.You pay for what you get .

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I really like it. I've always liked the Radiomir the most though. I really like the classic crown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post

Thanks Simon! I remember back when you got your 392. We never did meet up for me to take a look but I'd be more than happy to grab a coffee next time you're in London if you'd like to see the 676 in person.

All the best,

Paul
    Cheers Paul,

I actually have my name down on a list at WoS in Canary Wharf, so I'll chase Sandy (the manager) tomorrow to see if he has one. I no longer work in Central London, I'm working from home up in Oakwood, so I don't get a chance to pop in there every other day.

Would you mind sharing what you paid for yours?

Of course, if you decide to sell, give me a nod and we can make that coffee a gin and tonic 🙂

Simon

Hi Simon,

I could potentially have got mine cheaper from Chronext but their website said there was a 2 week delivery time and I was able to try mine on and take it away on the day so went for the "hassle free" option!

Is that Sandy who used to be the manager at David Robinson? If so, I didn't realise he had gone to WoS! Say hi to him from me as I used to pop in there on a regular basis when I worked at Canary Wharf too!

Certainly no plans to sell mine at the moment (I've been wearing it every day since I got it!) but happy to go for a G&T instead of a coffee if you do happen to be in London anytime soon.

All the best,

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Hi Simon,
    Is that Sandy who used to be the manager at David Robinson? If so, I didn't realise he had gone to WoS! Say hi to him from me as I used to pop in there on a regular basis when I worked at Canary Wharf too!
    Of course, I meant DMR. In fact, I called WoS and asked for Sandy and they said he wasn't there and I should call DMR :)

Simon

Craftsman
    If you were to put your hand down flat, with your wrist in a vertical position, it looks like it would really dig in to the back of your hand.

Craftsman
    The watch looks great, but for me it's a big no. Panerai and 30m WR just don't mix together. Panerai was one of the first proper diving watch, designed specifically to be used as such. This model doesn't fit at all with the brand DNA. I feel they created it just to make it as thin as possible and get more customers who don't like a thicker case. But then how this goes with all the Panerai marketing showing vintage divers' pictures?

What's next? A Rolex oyster with no WR?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Another no from me. I'm a big fan of the Luminor as a tool watch and never once have i looked at my Luminors and thought they make a dress watch, in the same way i've never looked at a dress watch and thought it needed a crownguard. For me the lack of WR and Panerai just don't go.

Master
    I think it looks fantastic, absolutely gorgeous.

30 m WR is adequate - but I am somewhat puzzled as to why it is so low. It can’t be the crown - it the back screw-down? However, it remains a beautiful watch.

Thanks again for all the comments, even those saying "no", who I have to admit make some valid points!

I never really looked at my Luminors and thought they would make a dress watch either but what I have thought is that I wished they were a bit thinner so they fit nicely under a cuff and also that I wished I could get one with a sunburst dial like the 605. I appreciate that the 676 won't work for everyone but that is why it works for me.

I've done a bit more research on the reasons for the 30m water resistance and found this thread on Paneristi (apologies in advance for the "bros" and size of the signatures...!)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1469597076

I tried my best to decipher what was being said and apparently one of them asked his "m8" [insert appropriate emoticon here] at Panerai and the lower depth rating is due to the glass on the front and back being thinner. Panerai are said to have tested it and it passed "WELL" clear of 30m but his "m8" asked him not to say in public what the actual depth rating was...

Maybe Scepticalist has something more water tight (if you excuse the terrible pun)?

All the best,

Paul

Journeyman
    I have handles them and I think that they are very appealing.
    Aris

it looks fine sure enough, but how can a brand whos heritage is military diving seriously market a 30m water resistant dive watch? it's farcical ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tracked one down today and did a deal - love it. There is nothing like a Pam that's for sure and now so wearable.

Thanks for the info in the thread!

Journeyman
    Duo is spot on pal

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I've always like panerai designs but alas, my skinny girly wrists mean I'll probably just remain an admirer rather than owner

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Tracked one down today and did a deal - love it. There is nothing like a Pam that's for sure and now so wearable.

Thanks for the info in the thread!
    Did you try the 45mm 674 Auto vs 42 mm 676 manual?

I've got a 42mm 392 and very tempted to move this on to get a Due ... my wrists are large enough for the 45mm I think .. but it's a fair amount of cash more!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Did you try the 45mm 674 Auto vs 42 mm 676 manual?

I've got a 42mm 392 and very tempted to move this on to get a Due ... my wrists are large enough for the 45mm I think .. but it's a fair amount of cash more!
    I did manage to try both and just felt the 42 was better, for me. The 45 was just bigger which missed the point of this watch on my wrist. I have two 47s coming this week thanks to a top member here so that larger base is covered.

Plus it's an extra 2k for the automatic movement which I'm not bothered about. Still a very nice model.

Craftsman
    That is a fabulous watch, it's next on my list, Watchfinder has a nearly new in stock but it's nearly £7k, which is steep where other sellers have used at £4,500 level.

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    WF is the 45mm and 1k off list. where have you seen these models for 4.5k?

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I did manage to try both and just felt the 42 was better, for me. The 45 was just bigger which missed the point of this watch on my wrist.
    Congrats on getting one Kash! Totally agree with your comments on the size too. Given how (relatively) thin the Due models are, the proportions of the 45mm don't look quite right to me so the 42mm is the one to have.

I was also going to ask where the used 676s for £4,500 are?!!

All the best,

Paul