closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hello all I'm new!

Master

Hello all I'm new!

I am new to this forum only just joined but have been reading and looking at all of the lovely watches for a few weeks but thought it best to say hi and get involved.

I only had my watch fetish (addiction) for a couple of years and now proudly own a Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus and an Antea 41, a Sinn 556i, a fireman ball fireman racer DLC and a Nomos club datum which was my last purchase.

My collection is all different and I love them all but I can't seem to satisfy my thirst. Do I have a problem?

Couple of questions does this forum have a for sale section and if so how do I get involved.

Thanks for the help and great posts which have taught me loads that I didn't know over the last couple of weeks.

Fred

benwoodroffe
    i think you'll fit in well, welcome & cheers.

Master
    Hi Fred

Welcome onboard !

Others will advise you on access to the Sales Corner but there is a requirement for you to post, I think 50 times to view SC, and 250 to post there. You also need to be a member for 60 days to do either. I may be wrong but there is definitely some eligibility criteria.

Anyway, most importantly, enjoy the forum !

Gary

Hello, welcome. Can I recommend therapy?

Scott
    It's just a matter of time...

Welcome Fred,

Not the best idea to ask about the sales area in your introductory post - looks like you have come here for just one purpose.

Hope I am wrong, unless you have any good swag to sell.

Master
    As I said I think I have a problem and looking a 100's of pictures of lovely watches I don't think is helping!

I really love the detail that goes into making quality timepieces as well as the look and feel of the watch. The heritage also.

I think I am going to enjoy the forum and no it's not just about buying/owning watches - well not really!

Thank you all in advance for the advice you are all going to offer as I am not going to councilling!

Fred

Master
    Hi and welcome to the forum, nice varied selection you have already.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

Cheers

Ryan

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a nice variety of watches, pictures would be great.

Hi Fred,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have already got some really nice watches.

Craftsman
    Welcome Fred, nice collection already! What do you feel you are lacking from your current selection?

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

Take your time to look around and mingle with the others. The SC threshold is a brilliant move to ensure that only people who are really interested can post. Just wait and take your time to introducé yourself. The G&D is a brilliant spot for that.

Menno

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome!

Take your time to look around and mingle with the others. The SC threshold is a brilliant move to ensure that only people who are really interested can post. Just wait and take your time to introducé yourself. The G&D is a brilliant spot for that.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 6th January 2017 at 14:43.

Master
    I will have a good old mingle and hopefully learn a few things along the way.

In terms of missing from the collection there are so many watches I like. To date I have tried to mix up the styles - some for work, some for weekend etc but its really about if I like them or not. I have been looking a lot at Bremont of late. What are people's thoughts? I like the styling/theme but I hear people saying that for that money they should have an in house movement - see I'm an listening and learning.

I forgot to mention that my first watch was a Seagull 1963 panda which slipped my mind as my lad is wearing it. Again love that watch as it got me started.

Fred

Master
    Oh yeah - learning how to post pictures is next on the list.

Welcome.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I will have a good old mingle and hopefully learn a few things along the way.

In terms of missing from the collection there are so many watches I like. To date I have tried to mix up the styles - some for work, some for weekend etc but its really about if I like them or not. I have been looking a lot at Bremont of late. What are people's thoughts? I like the styling/theme but I hear people saying that for that money they should have an in house movement - see I'm an listening and learning.

I forgot to mention that my first watch was a Seagull 1963 panda which slipped my mind as my lad is wearing it. Again love that watch as it got me started.

Fred

Hi Fred

I have the Bremont Terra Nova; see below.

Personally, I think it, and most Bremont's for that matter, looks fantastic and it keeps great time. What is there not to like ?

Master
    That doesn't help! That's one of the ones I like of theirs. I am off to buy a Bremont!

That's another issue for me, I like specific brands but also like lots of their pieces. You can't buy them all. I am assuming this is why so many people flip watches and keep changing their collection.

Master
    That doesn't help! That's one of the ones I like of theirs. I am off to buy a Bremont!

That's another issue for me, I like specific brands but also like lots of their pieces. You can't buy them all. I am assuming this is why so many people flip watches and keep changing their collection.
    Hi Fred

This one is a Limited Edition as you probably know. You might be able to find one in the usual places. I suspect it will be a future classic but we shall see ?

Good luck in your searches whatever you decide upon.

Regards

Gary

Of course you have a problem, but it is healthier then drugs and alcohol and keeps you from the streets! It depends on your disposable income how much you spend on it, so it's all good. Welcome to the club of people who keep on looking at (wrist)watches and can't stop buying them...

Oh yeah - learning how to post pictures is next on the list.
    Welcome Fred!

I had trouble posting pictures when I first joined but, if you have a smart phone or a tablet, take a look at the tapatalk app, it makes it very simple.

I look forward to seeing pics, sounds like you have a very varied and interesting collection there.

Master
    It's agreed I have a problem, but a healthy one.

I will check out taptalk and get some pictures up.

Thanks all

Hello and welcome to the forum Fred, you have any pics of your watch?

Craftsman

Hello all I'm new!

Hi Fred, I'm a newb also. Have been on the forum for a couple of months and have already spent a few quid more on watches I never knew I wanted! But that's the fun of it. I can also recommend the Tapatalk app, makes a breeze of posting pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Fred, have you looked at any of Eddie's (TimeFactors) offerings yet? That's what got me hooked!

Master
    I have taptalk - not used it yet and I will
    Have a look on eddies.

Master
    I have got to grips with taptalk - sort of . Once I learn how to put up photos on taptalk I will pop a few up. Any help appreciated on the process for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi Fred ,
    Welcome to the forum. Just to let you know it's 50 posts and 60 days to view and 250 and 180 days to fully access the Sales Corner (SC)forum.
    I'd say the 250 posts and 6 months is actually quite sensible timeframe as you get to find out tons of stuff that you wouldn't be able to google plus it will give you further thoughts on what you actually like. The SC is not the keys to parsdise though so don't build your entire journey around this. SC can have some lovely pieces but also right clankers plus loads of old shoes etc ( you wouldn't believe it! ). Don't speedpost either I.e lots of random comments in a bid to build up. As the forum police will be on your case. If you look up my profile I'm probably about 1.5 a day and this has built up in a natural way as I simply think I now know more so have more to say. One chap was on about 9 a day but is no longer with us as he was demented (imho)
    If any of you are having trouble loading images try post image.org I'm happy to send a Personal Message (PM)
    Next you will be posting up your state of the collection (sotc) pictures!
    Good luck

Master
    Mark thank you for the advice, very sensible.

I agree and I am learning already, but still don't know what some of the acronyms mean (I'm sure I will get there over time). The most telling is that I really didn't take much notice of Rolexes. I think because, as I got going I wanted as few pieces that were from lesser know brands, I also like German watches, but after reading about and seeing the pictures I have a better appreciation - in time that's not going to be great for my bank balance!

I think I have cracked the photos and yes I will post a SOTC (I know that one) and keep enjoying the forum. Like the old saying goes "SC comes to those who wait" - or I think it goes something like that!

Fred

Journeyman
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Selling on this forum will take some time. I am a member here for 2 years and I don't have the privilege of selling. I guess If I had participated more and have written more posts I could.

Hi Fred and welcome, sounds like you have a small but interesting little collection there, will certainly look forward to seeing the pics when you figure out how to post them up. Set yourself up a photobucket account.

Master
    I have got to grips with taptalk - sort of . Once I learn how to put up photos on taptalk I will pop a few up. Any help appreciated on the process for posting.

Hi Fred

As mentioned below, Photobucket, if you can cope with the interminable adverts or pay to get rid of them, is your friend.

I am not saying that this is the optimal way to post images here but what I did is:

1. Set up a Photobucket account.
    2. Upload required images into your Photobucket library. It is fairly obvious how to do this.
    3. In Photobucket, select an image that you want to upload here on TZ-UK, this will appear on screen as below:

4. Click the second box down on the RHS and this will copy the url.
    5. Open up your TZ-UK post and put the cursor where you want to put the image.
    6. Click on the "insert image" icon, this is on the second row six from the RHS in the image below:

7. Paste the url into the dialogue box that pops up and click ok.
    8. Submit post and your image(s) should appear.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary
    Last edited by gc52; 8th January 2017 at 11:43.

Master
    Gary thank you for that very informative response. No excuses for me now. I will put together my first SOTC in the coming days.

Master
    Fred,

I spotted you had a few German pieces, I reckon at some point I might either go go a Junghans or Sinn 103 . Very different styles, both great producers of classic pieces.
    You do sometimes get a lot of Rolex this, Patek that, but there is a lot of interesting items beyond this and then someone pops up with a collection and you then think wow! Velorum 's vintage dress watch thread is worth looking at as he has some lovely pieces. Seiko is also very well represented and I would say have a look at 70's Seiko Chrono's as for the price of a bad monthly cigarette habit, you can start a more healthy but wallet dangerous Seiko habit. I love Omegas and have ended up with 5 Seiko's ( not GS though, strangely have no love )
    You do find quite a few people build up collections then sell them all for one high end piece. So far I have resisted that route.

Master
    Gary thank you for that very informative response. No excuses for me now. I will put together my first SOTC in the coming days.

Hi Fred

Glad to help out. I have an ulterior motive though; I very much look forward to seeing these fantastic watches.

Regards

Gary

Master
    I do like the Sinn watches and as I said I have a couple of Stowa's and a Nomos (German). I will get the photos up soon.

I will take a look at the dress watch forum and in terms of vintage a have been looking at the Heuer range, I even like the reissue 1980's Carrera GMT but I am not sure about the size. Those are 36mm and I am used to 40-42, not sure if it would suit me. Any others have large and small and are they used to the change?

I can also see Seiko are well loved and I am keen to learn more about them.

Fred

Master
    Right now I have tap talk sorted I am doing a mini showing (two pieces missing as they are with my lad being enjoyed).

First the Antea Klassik 390 white COLLECTORS WATCH - I think there were only a small number made, 10 or so, as they had the old logo and the hands are not blue, which I like. Next is the Nomos Club Automat Datum dunkel which is probably my favourite at the moment followed by the Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus. I put this on a Milanese strap and this it looks great. Lastly the Ball fireman racer DLC. Great for holidays or casual wear.

The Seagull panda and Sinn are not with me at the moment and I'm sure there will be more coming soon (I know bad isn't it) so I will do a proper SOTC sometime soon.

Sorry about the quality taken with iPhone.

Fred

Love the plain white Stowa. Very classy.

Sales corner is not the pandora's box you might expect. A few interesting watches to consider, but perhaps more rewarding, a place to view makes and dials you wouldn't normally consider!

Master
    Hi Fred

Thanks for finding the time to post these images. All are really superb watches but the white Stowa really shines for me; this is simply a beautiful, minimalist watch. OOI what is the dial size on this ?

Regards

Gary

Master
    Gary it 39.

I love this watch and what I like most is that it's a little different. Unless you got one of these, as I say I think about 10 pieces, you can't get one. All of the new ones obviously have the new logo and blue hands. As you say simple and beautiful.

Then again I love that Terra Nova so let me know when you have had enough of it!

Master
    Gary it 39.

I love this watch and what I like most is that it's a little different. Unless you got one of these, as I say I think about 10 pieces, you can't get one. All of the new ones obviously have the new logo and blue hands. As you say simple and beautiful.

Then again I love that Terra Nova so let me know when you have had enough of it!

Hi Fred

39 mm is about the sweet spot for such a watch on my wrist as well !

I will probably keep the TN as I am sure you will keep the Stowa.

My new interesting piece which I took delivery of today is an IWC mark XII. Nowhere near as rare as your Stowa of course but they are getting hard to find. Mine came on the fantastic grains-of-rice bracelet making a very wearable subtle, but quality watch. Will post images later in the week on another thread rather than clutter-up yours.

All the best.

Gary

Master
    Gary that's a nice piece. I will
    look forward to seeing it. Have you done a SOTC?

Yes the Stowa is staying put.

Hello and welcome, Fred. I'm new here,too, so I am grateful that some photo posting tips have been presented to assist.

Master
    Gary that's a nice piece. I will
    look forward to seeing it. Have you done a SOTC?

Yes the Stowa is staying put.

Hi Fred

As a newcomer to horology I have only a few pieces; I have gone for interesting rather than anything outstanding or expensive at this stage. Details of my SOTC though can be found here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ing-Collection

I will be adding a further couple of watches to this at the weekend.

All the very best and thanks for asking.

Gary

Master
    Gary very nice. You have put that collection together quickly. All different, which I like. I have to agree the Zenith is stunning, what size is it?

Fred

Master
    Gary very nice. You have put that collection together quickly. All different, which I like. I have to agree the Zenith is stunning, what size is it?

Fred

Hi Fred

I have had a couple of weeks away from work over Christmas so have had some time to dedicate to this collection. Plus, I have had my eye on some of these watches for some time anyway.

As for the Zenith, the dial is 30mm and the case 34 mm. It is a bit on the small size for me but I do wear it occasionally.

Gary

Master
    Time - what a luxury!

Master
    Time - what a luxury!

I know, I tend to work 6 or 7 days a week so SWMBO insisted that I had a proper holiday over the Christmas period. Very glad I did !

Have just taken a quick snapshot of ny new, old IWC. This is another one that I have had my eye on for a long time.
    Last edited by gc52; 11th January 2017 at 09:31.

Master
    Hi and welcome to the forum.