closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying 2nd hand acoustic guitar

Master

Buying 2nd hand acoustic guitar

I'm thinking about learning but have no idea where to start. With a budget of say £250 would anyone have any pointers of something decent?

In that price range I'd recommend a new Sigma. I bought a rosewood Sigma parlour guitar for about £240 and it's wonderful. Really can't knock them for the price.
    I think most of their models are based on Martins.

Cool

I'd highly recommend a Taylor Big Baby. Fantastically playable, lovely size, sounds remarkably good for its price and mine served me well for almost 10 years years before I upgraded. If you get it used and find you're not clicking with acoustic guitar in general you can always sell it back for roughly the same price you paid as its quite a popular model. Even with my much more expensive acoustic I still miss her

Master
    Thanks for that Jayleb

Master
    whatever you buy factor in the cost of a setup. Trying to learn on a badly setup acoustic is a nigtmare.

Try and find a local guitar store and try some things out, daunting I know but worth a look at what you like and dont.

I learnt on a small bodied Yamaha CPX, love dreadnoughts but find them unweildy and am always looking over the top.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie View Post
    In that price range I'd recommend a new Sigma. I bought a rosewood Sigma parlour guitar for about £240 and it's wonderful. Really can't knock them for the price.
    I think most of their models are based on Martins.
    Dont know if its still the case but Sigma was a Martin brand that wasnt manufactured in the US.

Sigma are a separate entity to Martin these days.

I bought one like this Sigma 000M-1ST for my son, and I'm very impressed with it. It's the rough equivalent of the Martin that Ed Sheeran uses, and is a very usable size.

Journeyman
    My first 'proper' guitar was one from tangle wood earth series, good quality, nice action and lovely tone. Always try before you buy as some may feel more comfortable than others, at that range there may not be much difference and it will just boil down to the one that you feel most comfortable with or like the look of best.
    Enjoy the search

Yamaha are consistently well reviewed for the quality of their entry level instruments. Check out the FG800, lots of reviews on Youtube and inside your budget, eg https://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-fg800-natural/128978
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great advice!! Taylor +1

Quote Originally Posted by jayleb View Post
    I'd highly recommend a Taylor Big Baby. Fantastically playable, lovely size, sounds remarkably good for its price and mine served me well for almost 10 years years before I upgraded. If you get it used and find you're not clicking with acoustic guitar in general you can always sell it back for roughly the same price you paid as its quite a popular model. Even with my much more expensive acoustic I still miss her

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I'm thinking about learning but have no idea where to start. With a budget of say £250 would anyone have any pointers of something decent?
    I came back to the guitar a few years ago. I did exactly as the advice above and went to our local shop and tried a few. No need to feel embarrassed, everyone starts somewhere and the people are there to help. You can ask for a room on your own or get them to show you some basics to be able to make your choice, in my experience.

As said, Yamaha were recommended all over the internet and in store but having played a few I initially went for a Fender Hellcat. Just felt right for me at the time. Looking for something additionally and different now but we’re all collectors on here

My son (15) has a Yamaha. He seems to like it

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The Gretsch Jim Dandy is well under budget, easy to play if set up well (it’s a slightly shorter scale) and sounds awesome in a kooky way. Lots of YouTube reviews and demos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jim Dandy was the pick of the bunch for me in the small/parlour guitars until I played the Sigma. I still think the Jim Dandy looks cooler though.

Master
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will go and try some but based on the above the Taylor seems to be edging it. I don't know why! I've played a little so have no issues sitting in a shop and checking out the feel and sound of some