closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Caliber de Cartier Diver

Hybrid View

Caliber de Cartier Diver

When initially introduced these had a mixed reception.
    There was derision from certain quarters and outrage that a fashion brand that makes jewelry watches had dared to introduce a dive watch.
    I think it was hardly justified as Cartier actually makes some pretty good watches.
    The diver has excellent specs and over time it has earned the respect of many watch lovers.
    Not many would actually dive with it but that is true of many modern dive watches. If one wanted to though it is perfectly equipped.
    It is exquisitely finished with an in-house caliber. It has the distinctive Caliber de Cartier case
    43mm is a decent size and at 11.9mm not too tall either.
    Rubber strap is absolutely one of the most and most supple straps ever. Mind you, it may not go over a wet suit.
    Here are a couple of quick pics.

image post
    upload foto
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th January 2017 at 15:33.

I like it - in a world full of copy cat divers it stands out. And as you say that case is also quite distinctive which I think also helps. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    I like it as well. In a world where Bentley can make a 4x4 then why not?

Master
    The lugs curve quite a lot down and it doesn't sit nicely if you have flat and wide wrists.

Master
    Harking back to another thread, I have to say I am not over keen on the Roman numerals but other than that I think this is a really smart piece. Congrats on your acquisition.

Not suited to my lifestyle really but if I was the sort to lounge around a pool in the south of France or potter about on my yacht in the Med, this would be an excellent choice.

I'm not a fan of that type of date window but otherwise think it's a great luxury sports watch.

I don't like the handset which for my taste are too weedy for the rest of the watch, neither do I like the triple date window(but then I never do) or the half use of roman numerals. It's ok apart from that but nothing special IMO.

Master
    It's hard to know what I think about it. There are some great features, and some not so great features (the date and XII being most significant).

I really like the idea of a seconds sub-dial on a diver in terms of aesthetics, don't really see it anywhere else, but would a diver find that a concern?

I like this one, as per the Drive, distinctive styling, two great looking Cartiers, but for the screw lugs, there is always something, now wheres that other thread..

I think it deserves a place on the 'cool wall'. A companion piece to the Cartier dive is the Cartier drive, which is also a great looking watch.

Mind you, someone in Cartier marketing could try harder in the naming department!
    Last edited by daveyw; 11th January 2017 at 17:45. Reason: added image

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think that anyone who dismisses Cartier as a fashion brand should be kicked. Hard.

I really like this watch. I've tried it out in ADs several times. Cartier have such a distinct style that, even though this looks nothing like any of their other watches, it's still clearly a Cartier. And with such a solid history to the brand it's not one that should be dismissed.

I think they perform rather poorly on the pre-owned circuit though (which is true of all Cartier watches) which isn't great if you buy from new, but probably works out pretty well if you want to pick one up.

They do a rose-gold one too, I believe, but I prefer the more useful SS version myself.

Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think that anyone who dismisses Cartier as a fashion brand should be kicked. Hard.
    I agree. It's not as if they are Fossil!

One of the most important features of any dive watch, other than water resistance, is legibility. Despite its unconventional looks, the Cartier looks pretty legible to me.

Apart from the hands, the open date window, the small seconds and the roman numerals it's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Apart from the hands, the open date window, the small seconds and the roman numerals it's a winner.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I think it deserves a place on the 'cool wall'. A companion piece to the Cartier dive is the Cartier drive, which is also a great looking watch.

Mind you, someone in Cartier marketing could try harder in the naming department!
    This and the santos are my favourite Cartier's, they just ooze class. Would love one some day. Don't see many come up on here

Thanks guys.
    Am really liking it.
    I don't have the lifestyle that Lewis implied one needs to enjoy the watch.
    Nevertheless, I think I will enjoy it.
    On a separate note,a watch is always more than the sum of its parts. I refuse to get hung up on one single aspect like date location or type or numeral type,hands etc. often a watch has something I wouldn't normally like but works as a part of the whole package.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Am really liking it.

On a separate note,a watch is always more than the sum of its parts. I refuse to get hung up on one single aspect .........often a watch has something I wouldn't normally like but works as a part of the whole package.
    Yes.

Craftsman
    Add me to the like camp! Keep looking at these and must try one in
    Any wrist shots ?

I like it. One of the 'posh(er)' divers out there. Do you have a lime shot Raj?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I like it. One of the 'posh(er)' divers out there. Do you have a lime shot Raj?
    Here we go
    imgurl

Or did you mean this
    Without charging

adult picture hosting

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Here we go
    imgurl

Or did you mean this
    Without charging

adult picture hosting
    LOL both looks good to me, thanks! (I'm lucky autocorrect didn't turn it to 'slime shot' I guess )
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I think the triple date is super handy. Very helpful to know the date that came before the date today, also tells you the date tomorrow which is after today's date.

But in all seriousness if am incredibly jealous. It is absolutely beautiful and so very distinctive. Even unique.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Except when the date for the next day is wrong ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Do you know, I'd never even thought of that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Aaaaghh, what month is it?

30 days has September, April, June and November… etc.

There is nothing about this watch I like, but then I'm not the one who has to wear it so who cares?

Not sure why but I like Cartier printed within the numerals.

This Cartier has a bit too much going on but I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    I think the triple date is super handy. Very helpful to know the date that came before the date today, also tells you the date tomorrow which is after today's date.
    Eh?

You need a watch to help you work that out?.....
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th January 2017 at 00:13.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post

But in all seriousness if am incredibly jealous. It is absolutely beautiful and so very distinctive. Even unique.

The explanation for a triple date function is that it allows you to tell the date when it is covered by the minute hand.
    Am not sure if that justifies it but on the right watch,I can look past it.
    E.g. This one or IWC Pilot Mk XVII

The second part of my post came across a bit sarcastic. It wasn't. I do think it looks great btw.

One of my colleagues has the mark XVII but he couldn't explain the triple date complication.

Cartier do some very nice watches, just not for me at rrp, my first thought was very nice indeed, but after reading the comments and looking again I find the hand set to weedy and also in the lume shot the x numeral looks like a v. Don't think it would be enough to put me off completely but would like to see one.

Master
    i love Cartier watches. The roman numerals and guilloche face are their thing. However better used than paying rrp. They have their own look and generally look v. discreet with most outfits. I've had a couple and something in rose gold would be nice (on leather) but the brand is not my first/second/third choice. Ladies always seem to be able to spot a Cartier much easier than IWC/JLC etc