closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Regulatiions required for Robots - we are now living in the future!

Regulatiions required for Robots - we are now living in the future!

Having come to terms with my disappointment that by 2000 we were not walking around in silver jump suits, driving hover cars and living in spherical shaped houses, as predicted by Tomorrow World circa 1967, I understand that we now really are on the brink of 'living in the future'

Listening to Radio 4 this morning I hear that we are on the cusp of major advances in robotics and artificial intelligence the application of which will have far reaching consequences for everyone. It is thought that it will not be long until AI outpaces human IQ and cognitive ability. Such is the level of concern that legislation and regulations are being considered to ensure that humans remain in control of devices and systems that have the capacity for autonomous thought and action. The EU are drafting regulations at the moment to the effect that all intelligent devices and systems have a human operated 'kill switch' and function on a set of general principals based upon science fiction writer Isaac Asimovs 'laws of robotics'

Just the other day in connection with my own line of work I was reading about the time, effort and money the Japanese are putting into robots that can carry out basic personal care functions for people with long term health issues or who are too frail to care for themselves due to age. This is driven by economics - more people living longer, the ratio of younger people to fund their care being less.

Blade Runner, Terminator, Westworld etc - not that far off perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Having come to terms with my disappointment that by 2000 we were not walking around in silver jump suits, driving hover cars and living in spherical shaped houses, as predicted by Tomorrow World circa 1967, I understand that we now really are on the brink of 'living in the future'

Listening to Radio 4 this morning I hear that we are on the cusp of major advances in robotics and artificial intelligence the application of which will have far reaching consequences for everyone. It is thought that it will not be long until AI outpaces human IQ and cognitive ability. Such is the level of concern that legislation and regulations are being considered to ensure that humans remain in control of devices and systems that have the capacity for autonomous thought and action. The EU are drafting regulations at the moment to the effect that all intelligent devices and systems have a human operated 'kill switch' and function on a set of general principals based upon science fiction writer Isaac Asimovs 'laws of robotics'

Just the other day in connection with my own line of work I was reading about the time, effort and money the Japanese are putting into robots that can carry out basic personal care functions for people with long term health issues or who are too frail to care for themselves due to age. This is driven by economics - more people living longer, the ratio of younger people to fund their care being less.

Blade Runner, Terminator, Westworld etc - not that far off perhaps?
    The robot who cleans the brass
    Will also wipe your …
    … nose

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    The robot who cleans the brass
    Will also wipe your …
    … nose

dunk
    Which will it be programmed to do first ?

Noticed in the tech news recently that there's now a robotic machine for $800 which folds your clothes for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Noticed in the tech news recently that there's now a robotic machine for $800 which folds your clothes for you.
    I would pay good money for a workable ironing machine/robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I am doing, she's called a wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I am doing, she's called a wife!
    the clue is in 'workable'.

Having watched the new version of Westworld, these real life robots are probably going to be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    the clue is in 'workable'.
    Sorry, missed that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Absolutely! I'll go so far as a months wages! Of all the chores ironing is the one I hate, I do like my clothes neat and crisp.
    So have to do my ironing despite hating it!

I do hope Robots really become a thing... we've been flirted with enough in films and TV!

I want one now !