closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 300 Titanium....advice.

Seamaster 300 Titanium....advice.

Hi All,
    Anyone have negative experiences with Titanium watches?

My wife gave me a Omega Seamaster 300 in stainless steel for Christmas, though it was a very nice piece and a nice surprise, I already have a few SS watches with black dials, I took it back to the AD and they've ordered me in the Titanium model as I like the blue dial and never owned one. it should be in tomorrow.

I would just like some advice

Cheers

Master
    I have had a Seamaster Ti for 14 years and i worn it a lot,looks like a much younger watch.

No advice needed. Almost in any Seamaster, apart from in the awful mix of black date wheel, blue dial Planet Oceans, the Ti is the nicer watch. Also Ti feels much nicer against the skin.

I just wish they had kept the Ti watches as light as they could - they old SMP300m models are incredible and you'd hardly notice you were wearing one - I can't quite believe I sold all the ones I had :(
    It's just a matter of time...

I love titanium watches, but they can be ding magnets unless they have some sort of surface hardening like Seiko's Brightz and Citizen's Duratect.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I love titanium watches, but they can be ding magnets unless they have some sort of surface hardening like Seiko's Brightz and Citizen's Duratect.
    I've not found that on my PD chrono, it's taken some hammer yet there's not a mark on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I've not found that on my PD chrono, it's taken some hammer yet there's not a mark on it.
    It's all relative I suppose. Stainless steel watches can pick up dings if they have had a hard life unless they are tegimented or the like. All of my titanium Seikos and especially the Citizens that have the surface hardening are completely unmarked, even those that are 25 years old. In particular, my Citizen Tough 4X4 (same as the Mission Antarctica) is at least 15 years old, but looks brand new.

I've never had more dings on a Ti watch that steel, in fact the Omega Ti showed a lot less marks than the 10's of steel SMP I've owned over the years.

Borrowed from elsewhere, originally posted by Majj on watchuseek

"The grade 1 titanium alloy has circa 160 - 200 HV, usually around 180 HV. On the other hand, the grade 5 titanium alloy has circa 340 - 400 HV, usually around 360 HV. Most titanium watches use grade 1 titanium, thus they usually have 180 HV. Only a very few watchmakers use grade 5 titanium, since it�s quite expensive; e.g. IWC uses grade 5 titanium in its watches, hence IWC titanium watches� cases have circa 360 HV."

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm guessing grade 5 Ti isn't going to mark up or ding anything like a steel watch. Even if only the shiny sides of the centre links are it on my X-33
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 12th January 2017 at 01:10.

Thanks for the comments...hopefully pick it up later today.