closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To Snowflake or not to Snowflake...

To Snowflake or not to Snowflake...

That is the question... been looking for one for a while and being offered the below. I like patina but is this too far gone, and also the "moondial" versions aka dial rots, are they as popular and will it be easy to move on if I change my mind?

Versions with the rot dial are not as popular as most people like their watches to look new. (I like the term moon dial it sounds better than f**ked)
    I like the example you have shown, I would go for it if the price is right.
    That looks to be a 7021 which is very rare in all original condition bar crystal (no service parts).
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th January 2017 at 19:40. Reason: Spelling

Apparently its a 9411 from 1975, watch head only, what do you think it is worth paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    Apparently its a 9411 from 1975, watch head only, what do you think it is worth paying for it?
    Not really sure as prices have rocketed recently
    I paid £1700 for a 'moon dial' 7016 about 5 years ago, now I see dealers asking £5000 for them on chrono24, now I am sure they are not getting 5k but I have seen some sold for 4K
    I would try to get as close to 3k as possible.
    If 1975 it's an early example of the 9411 which replaced the 7021.

To Snowflake or not to Snowflake...

Paging Professor @sweets...
    Come in Dave!

Master
    I'm no expert on these so excuse the uninformed comments...but I don't mind the dial personally, though it's a pity the hands are a different colour, could they have been replaced, still being old but not as old as the dial? And for me that bezel has gone well past the attractive phase, it's not a ghost bezel, it's just disfunctional. However, rare models can get the 'beer goggles' working and tempt you to give the patina the benefit of the doubt I guess, depending on the price. There's some charm in there somewhere!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like it, and would happily wear it.

Personally, I'm all for it, having just ordered one - albeit of the Grand Seiko variety!

Craftsman
    Just getting into vintage watches now. I like patina on a watch but for me the bezel is too far gone. But if you like it then why not, it's going to be on your wrist at the end of the day!

Master
    I think it looks great. Who uses a bezel anyway?

It is very nice apart from the bezel which is sadly too far gone and that would stop me from buying it.

Master
    Like the watch but not keen on the bezel insert at all - it looks (to me) like someone stuck a small piece of tape over the pearl area and then 'enhanced' the ageing of the insert somehow, I may be wrong but that's what I'd see every time I glanced at it. Easy to replace the insert of course.

I actually like how far it's gone. Like a super comfortable pair of shoes that you've worn for years until they're falling apart. I love the lived in look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like vintage watches but for me this is a little too vintage. A rotten dial, poo brown lume in multiple hues, and a rubbish insert. I would only buy it if it were extremely cheap, and even then, I probably would never wear it.

If it's cheap enough, how about sourcing a better dial, handset and insert. Keep the old parts to retro fit as and when. Not a great fan of the worn out look, but I do fancy a snow flake.

Master
    I'm not a fan of 'heavy patina' so would not wear it as is. Sourcing a new bezel or a used one could be expensive though not impossible. I'd say wait for a better example or if it's cheap enough treat as a bit of a project. That strap alone would make me question the credibility of the seller! ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That bezels alright!, was using my bezel at work in a worse condition than that one.

Mike

I like it as it is.
    Bung it on a grey NATO or MN strap you have a great looking watch.
    If you don't like the bezel, pop along to Rolex in St.James and get it changed.
    I wouldn't touch it though. It looks as if the watch as been used for what it was designed for.

A bit late to this, but
    So this has been subject to a bit of work, and it will be up to you whether you lke it or not.
    The crystal is not original, the 94010 should have a top hat and not a dome, and of course a cyclops too.
    I suspect some slightly artificial aging of the bezel. That wear pattern, only in the centre of the bezel ring and markedly less on the outer and the inner (crystal) edge is almost unique, I have never seen one like that before. I have seen plenty in worse condition, but not worn in that pattern. This is not fading, it is abrasion, and it makes you wonder how it happened, and what was happening to the crystal at the same time. Perhaps that is why a new crystal was used.
    Any idea why the crown is not screwed down?
    The case chamfers are large on the non-crown side and almost non-existent on the other, which is an interesting difference.

I would not but anything looking to pick up a new dial or handset, they are vanishingly rare and VERY expensive.
    If you buy this, be happy for what it is. Which for me is worked on, slightly customised, and possibly, slightly artificially aged.
    Just my opinion.
    Dave

Craftsman
    For me it's about the look and personally i think the dial (and bezel though that would be easier to correct) has gone past the point where it looks good.. so i'd give it a miss.

If it was a huge bargain i'd possibly reconsider.

Should the crown guard cut out be squared on the reverse? As in the same as Rolex sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Should the crown guard cut out be squared on the reverse? As in the same as Rolex sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What I can see looks fine. In fact the back of the lugs show the bruises from the correct 530 endlinks (I think, don't quote me). I think the case is genuine.

Craftsman
    I have to agree with those on the positive side. I like the "weathered" look.

Master
    To be honest, I'm not keen on the look. Love a nicely aged watch but that looks a bit mistreated, and the wear on the bezel looks a little "encouraged".

Here's one of mine, which I think has aged rather beautifully: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-and-its-story

Whether you end up buying the linked example or not I'd be grateful if you could let me know the price. I'm trying to price my 1976 with B&P (which complicates things) at the moment for a prospective sale and the market for these - while clearly rocketing - is difficult to make sense of.

It certainly has character and i'd happily wear it