closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car diesel/petrol/hybrid??

Journeyman

New car diesel/petrol/hybrid??

Hi everyone

What's your thoughts on the above, looking at change my car currently driving a 5 series diesel. I do a high mileage for business use. Having read reports of diesel cars being banned/ heavily taxed should I look at a petrol or hybrid. As an insight some days I can do 300 miles or so.
    Any thoughts or advice most welcome

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmac76 View Post
    Hi everyone

What's your thoughts on the above, looking at change my car currently driving a 5 series diesel. I do a high mileage for business use. Having read reports of diesel cars being banned/ heavily taxed should I look at a petrol or hybrid. As an insight some days I can do 300 miles or so.
    Any thoughts or advice most welcome

Thanks

Can't see the diesel thing coming in for a year or so yet
    Buy a clean diesel
    Take a look at the new car tax banding thingy coming onfrom April

Journeyman
    Usually keep my card for 3 years, so don't want to pay top dollar and get hammered in 3 years time.

What are the clean diesels?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmac76 View Post
    Usually keep my card for 3 years, so don't want to pay top dollar and get hammered in 3 years time.

What are the clean diesels?

I guess the 'eco' diesels, more or less set up for company car specs and tax efficiency, like the VW 'Bluemotion' spec, start stop tech etc, for example my CC is only £30 tax a year. ( usually dull cars though)
    Cheers..
    Jase

I've got a Volvo XC 90 T8 Hybrid petrol / electric. Has a total of 408bhp and only 49 emissions so very very cheap on company car tax and goes like shit off a shovel. Although I've never got near the 148 mpg I have only averaged 34 mpg ☹️.
    It only has a 50lt tank so I now spend lots of time in petrol stations. But generally an ok car if you need lots of space it's ideal.
    God knows what the government are going to do on car tax but the one thing for sure is it will only get more expensive for us.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Petrol Turbos are the way to go. Small CC but powerful & 50 mpg. VW 1.2 1.4 power units
    When you say powerful, they're not really that powerful.

I'd stick with diesel for a few years with your mileage, but certainly the government seem to be pushing towards electric, so the writing is on the wall.

If you pay BIK you may have to go electric sooner, as the benefits of going electric are considerable.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I'm in the same boat with my 3 series diesel due to be returned shortly. I test drove a 1.4T petrol Audi A4 earlier today which was supprisingly ok for general A to B duties. It obviously didn't have the low end grunt of a turbo diesel but all in all it would do the job. Some decent personal lease deals out there to help sweeten the deal, no risk of being caught in the expected diesel backlash and no more BIK charges either.

Isn't the 'clean diesel' the EU6 version, with the latest filtering etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    waiting on the Nissan diesel/petrol hybrid, hope its soon

Journeyman
    Cheers guys I'm thinking wait until after April and do a bit more research in the meantime

It may be worth checking the rfl implications of the cars you're considering. There will be winners and losers when the rules change.

As much as it pains me to say it, for the mileage you do, buy a diesel. However I am a petrol fan through and through, modern petrol engines are very good indeed, I have just bought a Mini JCW 2.0 twin power turbo, my driving is nearly all urban, it has stupendous torque yet still returns 38mpg, I've not even had it on a cruise yet. A good friend has a Focus Tourer with the 1.0 125bhp ecoboost, it is superb, feels like a 1.8 yet returns 50mpg. Yes petrol isn't as economical for mpg, but it's cheaper to buy both car and fuel, plus emissions rules will soon change and it looks like diesels may get hit hardest. My dad has an Auris Hybrid, the electric motor fills in any torque gaps, it's shockingly rapid, yet he gets 60+ mpg no matter what. Maybe hold fire, drive some different cars and see what fits the bill best. Good luck.

Master
    Diesel is still more economical from an MPG perspective but it might be worth looking at the petrol/hybrid options if it's your car (not company or leased). Diesel is being vilified to the point that even my wee old auntie who doesn't even drive is now saying diesel cars are bad. It could be that the price of used diesel cars absolutely plummets if there are serious tax hikes and areas bans. This could be a big hit if you own the car.

I'd say do more research, check honest johns site for his Real MPG section and sites like fully to check what people are actually getting from cars. The manufacturers figures are always miles off hence a Volvo with a claimed 148mpg doing 34mpg and the small CC variable/twin turbo jobs claiming 60mpg but only doing 32mpg in the real world. The test mean the manufacturers can run the cars on their most efficient state i.e. off boost for the small CC cars.

Aren't the EU - of which we're still a member - rejigging that mpg test to be more realistic?