timefactors watches

Thread: Image software

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Image software

Having just regained my interest in photography and purchased a used Lumix FZ1000, I wonder if any members can recommend an imaging software package, one that wont break the bank preferably.
    Many thanks.

Master
    I suggest you start by getting Faststone Image Viewer first. It is a great viewer with a lot of additional possibilities like adjusting contrast, colour, cropping, watermarking, cloning and healing, sharpening, reducing noise, pulling up shadows, making self executing slide shows, adapting size and compression and whatnot. It is not photoshop but it is free (you can donate if you want but that is up to you.) It reads most files including most raw formats, which is handy if you are without photoshop and get raws from another camera. Recommended. It also exists as a portable program that you can run off a usb stick so you always have your favorite photo viewer/editor with you.

You can try GIMP, also free.

If you shoot RAW files then Lightroom is excellent, I'm still using version 5 and that does all I need. Alongside that Google have made the Nik software suite free, and that works very well alongside Lightroom. https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If you shoot RAW files then Lightroom is excellent, I'm still using version 5 and that does all I need. Alongside that Google have made the Nik software suite free, and that works very well alongside Lightroom. https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
    Many thanks for the suggestion. I read somewhere the iPhoto software is not too bad to start with.
    I hadn't heard of Lightroom until quite recently. Just seem to have caught the photography bug after a good few years not using anything other than a point and shoot, and a phone camera, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Craftsman
    I also use Lightroom 5, with gimp on standby when more power is needed. There is an open source one called darktable that looks similar, Linux/OSX only though.

Possible to buy earlier versions of Photoshop Elements very £reasonably and there are lots of tutorials available online e.g. YouTube.

iPhoto is rather basic and has been superseded by Photos.

dunk
    "… but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Journeyman
    It depends what you consider expensive really. The old days of Photoshop costing £800 were a nightmare but now you can subscribe for £8 a month, it's much more reasonable.