closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: (Another) New Limited Edition Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I was told it could be shipped to a local Omega AD and heard through earlier posts on here someone had info it could be shipped directly to the buyer!
    I believe arrangements can be made for delivery (not sure how) but collection is at Omega boutiques only.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Got my new straps for it, all I need now is the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great straps, where did you get them from? I'm on the hunt for something similar for my Speedy

Anyone who can't understand the appeal of this one is probably just stuck in the past.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by submorstua View Post
    Wow those look great. Mind if I ask where those are from?

Got the Straps from Pavel (pav79) on this forum. I've bought straps from him before and the quality for the price is outstanding. He had some listed on SC a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Got the Straps from Pavel (pav79) on this forum. I've bought straps from him before and the quality for the price is outstanding. He had some listed on SC a couple days ago.
    Great to hear! Thanks!

Journeyman
    I'm just damn excited about seeing this in the flesh!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I believe arrangements can be made for delivery (not sure how) but collection is at Omega boutiques only.

Guess they'll have to update us at some point, but as far as I'm aware all the Omega boutiques are glorified AD's so wonder why they wouldn't ship to any AD.

Luckily (sort of) my wife drags me to Westfield on a regular basis so have no issues collecting there.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Anyone who can't understand the appeal of this one is probably just stuck in the past.
    Rubbish! Stupid statement .

This watch is one for the trendies who always yearn for the latest version of everything. Viewed objectively it's mediocre at best, but factor in the exclusivity and the hype that generates and it's easy to see how it'll appeal to a certain type of buyer.

Style versus fashion IMO.......but what do I know? 1000 flies around a pile of shit can't all be wrong.

I'd buy one myself for one good reason; I could sell it at a profit and some saddo would feel privileged to buy it!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

This watch is one for the trendies who always yearn for the latest version of everything. Viewed objectively it's mediocre at best, but factor in the exclusivity and the hype that generates and it's easy to see how it'll appeal to a certain type of buyer.

Style versus fashion IMO.......but what do I know? 1000 flies around a pile of shit can't all be wrong.

I'd buy one myself for one good reason; I could sell it at a profit and some saddo would feel privileged to buy it!

Paul
    Wow.
    Did that come out stronger than you intended?:-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Is anyone with a reservation intending on picking up from their local AD?

Not sure if I want it delivered direct or to give the guys at the local AD a chance to see it - slightly paranoid though that something will go wrong and they'll sell it to someone else in error!
    Before this thread gets derailed by comments about other things.

Yes you can get it sent to your local AD, I am as I don't live near a Boutique. Just email speedytuesday@omega.ch and they are very polite and friendly will arrange it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow.
    Did that come out stronger than you intended?:-)
    Over the last week the trousers have been getting increasingly grumpy

Paul
    Oh dear, it looks like someone is bitter because they didn't reserve one in time and missed out. Don't worry I'm sure someone will sell you one at a special price!

Master

Paul
    what? lol
    how is a standard speedmaster different to this one from a style/fashion perspective? They are both unnecessary men's accessory, jewellery. The reverse panda to me looks better simple as that. How can this watch be mediocre and the speedmaster not, unless u are criticising the speedmasters in general i really do not understand your negativity.

Grand Master
    What I'm criticising is the way Omega are trying to create a contrived collectors market by yet another 'limited edition' of what's basically an OK watch but nothing more. How mqny more drops can Omega squeeze out of the same lemon?.........how many colours/sides does the moon have?........how many anniversaries of first/last/9th moon landing can they commemorate? Alter the writing on the back,alter the colour of the subdials , alter the strap..........I find it hard to believe grown-ups are really taken in by all this hype.

Put the watch on a bracelet and it would be OK, but no more nor less than OK. Nothing to get excited about, yet we've got folks on this forum behaving like excited puppies over it.

It's what I term contrived exclusivity; Rolex do it by limiting supply of certain models knowing full well it'll create demand. We've even got the absurd situation where Rolex buyers are asking to go on 'the list' for whatever new watch is announced at Basel!..........'Please put me on the list for something I've never seen', hiw silly is that?

Let me make this clear for those who struggle to believe it: I have no wish to be on any 'list' for this watch. Let me also make another thing clear for the wannabees : I could buy this watch with the cash in my back pocket should I wish to, It's got nothing to do with aspiration or money to me.

What I'm questioning is the culture that surrounds this watch and some of the 'exclusive' Rolex offerings. It seems far removed from my concept of enthusiasm for watches, it' s more about the 'must have' factor that's stimulated by the fact that they' re hard to get. I find that behaviour sad and crass, hence my comments. This culture seems to be in the asendancy on TZ thesedays; far more people bragging about what they own rather than genuine enthusiasm for watches.

Paul

Journeyman
    What I'm criticising is the way Omega are trying to create a contrived collectors market by yet another 'limited edition' of what's basically an OK watch but nothing more. How mqny more drops can Omega squeeze out of the same lemon?.........how many colours/sides does the moon have?........how many anniversaries of first/last/9th moon landing can they commemorate? Alter the writing on the back,alter the colour of the subdials , alter the strap..........I find it hard to believe grown-ups are really taken in by all this hype.

Put the watch on a bracelet and it would be OK, but no more nor less than OK. Nothing to get excited about, yet we've got folks on this forum behaving like excited puppies over it.

It's what I term contrived exclusivity; Rolex do it by limiting supply of certain models knowing full well it'll create demand. We've even got the absurd situation where Rolex buyers are asking to go on 'the list' for whatever new watch is announced at Basel!..........'Please put me on the list for something I've never seen', hiw silly is that?

Let me make this clear for those who struggle to believe it: I have no wish to be on any 'list' for this watch. Let me also make another thing clear for the wannabees : I could buy this watch with the cash in my back pocket should I wish to, It's got nothing to do with aspiration or money to me.

What I'm questioning is the culture that surrounds this watch and some of the 'exclusive' Rolex offerings. It seems far removed from my concept of enthusiasm for watches, it' s more about the 'must have' factor that's stimulated by the fact that they' re hard to get. I find that behaviour sad and crass, hence my comments. This culture seems to be in the asendancy on TZ thesedays; far more people bragging about what they own rather than genuine enthusiasm for watches.

Paul

that is all, if you dont know you wont know.

Master

Paul
    Paul, I do agree with some of the things you say, like the contrived "exclusivity" that brands wanna create or how this may be a case of getting the "greatest and latest" and getting on the list for something not released is yes silly.

But I think one thing you could perhaps acknowledge is that these watches are, to the majority really good looking pieces!

Take the 116500, particularly in the white dial, i feel is a smashing watch and with a solid movement to boot! Furthermore the reverse panda speedy with the brushed case is brilliant! Regardless of how limited these are, I feel they are simply really handsome watches and I applaud the brands for making these.

I don't think this is just a case of squeezing cash, but a good effort.

Paul
    Yeah but you so want one 😂

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I don't think Paul likes it.

In all seriousness though Paul, Speedmasters are in my view a cracking watch. If you don't like it, fine. Just move along.

Steve

Paul
    I disagree with just about every point you make. The sentences I've emphasised are particularly revealing. I'd advise caution, some members may be less inclined to respond positively to your continued touting for business, when they contemplate that sort of hubristic waffle. It's what I term extreme fuddy-duddyism.

David

An excited puppy, a Wanabee owner of a Speedy Tuesday and already an owner of another "OK but nothing more" Speedmaster.

Just caught up with this thread after the release hysteria.

Wow!

I don't want one and am not into collecting for the sake of it, but there are people motivated to have a set of a said item, whether its a watch or something else.

If you were going to buy a speedmaster anyway, why not a "special" edition (we all know they're not). Mind you I did get fed up after the dark side.....

I will have eventually own a speedmaster after missing out on the one on SC this week!

Speaking of which we may need a separate thread on useful special editions with good taste and added value!

It's horses for courses, and the diversity of taste in horology keeps the business alive. We all need healthy corporate balance sheets for R+D. That means models will come along that appear to different individuals and markets. Maybe even sold at loss to get them to market.

Working my way through the Seiko story at the mo. It gives a lot of insight into what companies should and need to do to keep their businesses alive.

I would suggest if this watch ain't for you, you stop contributing to the thread and let the enthusiastic enjoy their moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Just caught up with this thread after the release hysteria.

Wow!

I don't want one and am not into collecting for the sake of it, but there are people motivated to have a set of a said item, whether its a watch or something else.

If you were going to buy a speedmaster anyway, why not a "special" edition (we all know they're not). Mind you I did get fed up after the dark side.....

I will have eventually own a speedmaster after missing out on the one on SC this week!

Speaking of which we may need a separate thread on useful special editions with good taste and added value!

It's horses for courses, and the diversity of taste in horology keeps the business alive. We all need healthy corporate balance sheets for R+D. That means models will come along that appear to different individuals and markets. Maybe even sold at loss to get them to market.

Working my way through the Seiko story at the mo. It gives a lot of insight into what companies should and need to do to keep their businesses alive.

I would suggest if this watch ain't for you, you stop contributing to the thread and let the enthusiastic enjoy their moment.
    Well said Sir

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I disagree with just about every point you make. The sentences I've emphasised are particularly revealing. I'd advise caution, some members may be less inclined to respond positively to your continued touting for business, when they contemplate that sort of hubristic waffle. It's what I term extreme fuddy-duddyism.

David

An excited puppy, a Wanabee owner of a Speedy Tuesday and already an owner of another "OK but nothing more" Speedmaster.
    OK, you've highlighted some points in this thread and I`m going to put you straight: I do NOT tout for business, I turn more watch repair jobs down than I take on, the money isn't a driver for me.........can you get that through your skull?

I fix watches on a small scale, I enjoy it, I take pride in the work and I do an excellent job. I`m happy to work at my leisure with one or two watches/week on the bench......have I made myself clear!

Don`t try forcing me into pigeon holes that I don`t fit in........I'm not motivated by money and I own two Speedmasters myself as part of an extensive collection.

I`ve made some pertinent points, hardly hubristic waffle. If this watch had been launched as an addition to the range that would have been fine, it's the hype that bugs me and the way folks get sucked into it.

I`ve clearly touched a raw nerve with a few folks because I`ve expressed a point of view that some aren`t comfortable with. To quote the old saying, 'if the cap fits, wear it'.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th February 2017 at 23:22.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I don't think Paul likes it.

In all seriousness though Paul, Speedmasters are in my view a cracking watch. If you don't like it, fine. Just move along.

Steve
    Your missing the point! I OWN two myself, it's the hype and the crass attempt to create exclusivity that grates with me. Read what I`ve posted carefully.

It's like the Kings New Clothes, no one's allowed to hold a contrary view.

Paul

Craftsman
    I like the Speedy Tuesday but I also think Paul makes good points. Paul is a straight talker and I value his opinions. It's a bonus to have someone with his knowledge and watch restoration skills on the forum.

It is a crazy hobby and a lot of it will never make sense.

Master
    Surely everyone's entitled to an opinion. Good discussion is the heart of the forum.

I agree with everything walker said and still a little disappointed I missed out on reserving one.

It's definitely a crazy hobby.

And what we need more than any LE speedy are more independent watch repairers.

Your missing the point! I OWN two myself, it's the hype and the crass attempt to create exclusivity that grates with me. Read what I`ve posted carefully.

Paul
    Every time I make the same comments about virtually any Rolex sports watch, I get equally shot down and yet Rolex have been creating artificial exclusively by restricting supply for years. What's the difference?

Master

Paul
    Some LEs I can understand, but my real issue with this model is the nature of the LE. Make an LE because a website posted some speedmaster pictures on Tuesdays. Seriously?

If only Omega would stop producing LEs then the vulgar commercialisation around watches will finally have been stamped out

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Every time I make the same comments about virtually any Rolex sports watch, I get equally shot down and yet Rolex have been creating artificial exclusively by restricting supply for years. What's the difference?
    This.

The point that it is a contrived LE is irrelevant to me. I am buying one, for the same reason I buy any watch - because I like it. I like the reverse panda dial with lume and fully brushed case. I expect to wear it more than my other Speedmasters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    The point that it is a contrived LE is irrelevant to me. I am buying one, for the same reason I buy any watch - because I like it. I like the reverse panda dial with lume and fully brushed case. I expect to wear it more than my other Speedmasters.
    This really. It's simply a nice looking watch! I was going to buy a speedmaster anyway and this is the one i want so i reserved one. If anyone doesn't like it that's fine! :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Some LEs I can understand, but my real issue with this model is the nature of the LE. Make an LE because a website posted some speedmaster pictures on Tuesdays. Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSP6TDJ_Rw

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    this watch will trade above premium, perhaps not to the extent of the daytona or 5711 but is nice to know you made a smart purchase too.
    What makes you think this will be the case?
    It may attract a slight premium for a few months but will then probably be readily available from all the flippers and will bomb-out just like the CK2998 did - there`s plenty of those available. Hardly an investment piece, was it?

Walkerwek has some good points, the amount of grown men on here creaming their pants over this watch is laughable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    It may attract a slight premium for a few months but will then probably be readily available from all the flippers and will bomb-out just like the CK2998 did - there`s plenty of those available. Hardly an investment piece, was it?

Walkerwek has some good points, the amount of grown men on here creaming their pants over this watch is laughable.
    Difference is this one looks really good and looks great on the brown leather strap.
    Not sure if they will sell at a premium or not but I doubt many will take a bath on them either.
    Just let people enjoy it if thats their thing.It is a watch forum after all.

Master
    CK2998 values have actually held up pretty well and are hovering at a little below RRP, hardly what I would call bombing out! Bearing in mind that there are about a thousand less STs being released all things being equal you should see the latest one do at least as well as the earlier ones in terms of value retention. The very different direct sales model being used here which in effect cuts the dealers out of the loop may have in impact also though it remains to be seen in what way.

I too dislike the tendency to launch LE after LE but the market seems to like it and not a single one seems to have bombed in any significant way. There were plenty of unsold Tin-tins and FOIS about for the past couple of years and good deals were there to be had on them but those two are not LEs in the strict sense and their values have only really firmed now both are out of production.

Master

Oh i'm 100% confident. There are people paying even to swap places in the que. But furthermore there is a price increase but apparently this one will remain the same price which means effectively you are already getting a "discount" so to speak. i doubt anyone will lose a penny on this watch.

Master
    Oh i'm 100% confident. There are people paying even to swap places in the que. But furthermore there is a price increase but apparently this one will remain the same price which means effectively you are already getting a "discount" so to speak. i doubt anyone will lose a penny on this watch.

You can never be 100% confident, if enough people decide to dump at the same time, prices will tank but the situation where the west coast of the USA were effectively excluded from applying and the fact that the watch is much cheaper in the UK then elsewhere means that the UK buyer at least should be in a pretty safe position.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th February 2017 at 16:29.

Craftsman
    Even though I subscribe to Fratello watches and their Speedy Tuesday blog I missed out because I was in an auditors meeting all day on the day it was announced (now if that doesn't get me some sympathy nothing will) and I would really like one of these to wear in rotation with my 6 other Speedy's. I'm honestly looking to keep - not flip. I'm hoping someone is kind and can help me avoid being bent over by 'Watchgrinder' etc. in my quest for one. I'm in no hurry - a late production one or when the silly premiums have disappeared once they are all produced will be just fine.
    Last edited by tom waring; 25th February 2017 at 16:36.

I think a lot of the future resale value of this one will depend on what the new 60th Speedie being announced at Basel will look like. Either way I'm going through with this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I think a lot of the future resale value of this one will depend on what the new 60th Speedie being announced at Basel will look like. Either way I'm going through with this one.
    Good point. If the 2017 60th anniversary speedie looks identical or better this may take a hit that's true didn't think of that. And it's possible just like with Hodinkee, Zenith released an identical looking one later.

I must admit I am banking on the 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 being something special.

Any other LE is just filler!

Journeyman
    I'm looking forward to the new Speedmaster MC with the racing dial! Hodinkee posted photos of the Speedmaster event and it looks like Raynald was wearing the watch. Pity they didn't have any close ups of the watch..

People with a passion for watches getting excited about a new incoming is hardly shocking is it?

Master
    furthermore there is a price increase but apparently this one will remain the same price which means effectively you are already getting a "discount" so to speak.
    I've heard this said more than once; but Omega would have known about the March UK price rise before they released the UK price of the Tuesday, which presumably therefore already included it.

Not sure if it's been already noted but price has remained the same after price rise.
    Last edited by pitbull666; 6th March 2017 at 13:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Not sure if it's been already noted but price has remand the same after price rise.
    is this 100% confirmed?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Chap over at Omega forums got a reply from Omega on pricing. It's staying at £4100

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Yes. Chap over at Omega forums got a reply from Omega on pricing. It's staying at £4100
    AWESOME. Thanks!

Master
    That does make the premium over the MW a little easier to bear but a bracelet would have been nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    That does make the premium over the MW a little easier to bear but a bracelet would have been nice!
    Which bracelet would you think would suit it – the regular version with polished bits wouldn't match the case finish but is there an all brushed version for the SMP that would work?