closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: (Another) New Limited Edition Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Blue moonphase?
    Not now - bad timing on my part.

Somehow, I can't get excited about this.
    A nice enough watch but wouldn't pay retail ( forget over retail ) for it.
    Much prefer CK2998 LE and this one might actually go that way eventually.
    Snoopy it is not, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Somehow, I can't get excited about this.
    A nice enough watch but wouldn't pay retail ( forget over retail ) for it.
    Much prefer CK2998 LE and this one might actually go that way eventually.
    Snoopy it is not, IMO
    There are enough differences between this and the CK2998 to suggest that it will be a very desirable watch longer term. Unlike the CK there is significant pent up demand globally to ensure prices hold well. Most importantly it's just a stunning Speedmaster!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I sent Omega an e-mail, don't want to go and collect it - can you send it to my house. Response today, no problem, we will amend the details and someone will be in touch nearer the time.

At least it should stop ar**y ADs messing around with stickers and warranty cards etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I sent Omega an e-mail, don't want to go and collect it - can you send it to my house. Response today, no problem, we will amend the details and someone will be in touch nearer the time.

At least it should stop ar**y ADs messing around with stickers and warranty cards etc.
    I doubt it. What will happen there is that it initially goes to one of the original London ADs mentioned during the ordering process, Bond St etc and then they 'prepare' it for the customer by removing all the transport junk and then ship it up to you naked. The safest way to get one of these with stickers intact is to pop into your dealer on day it arrives and 'save them the bother' of de-stickering it. Omega are less stroppy than Rolex about this so they would probably just give it to you as is under those circs.
    Last edited by Padders; 24th May 2017 at 13:27.

Master
    I sent Ryan a PM this morning, if that happens the ST is definitely for the chop. Timing indeed.

I disagree, the ST is rather drab in my opinion and after all it is just a limited edition celebrating a guy who writes a blog on a Tuesday. He could have picked any old watch from the archive and used that as the stencil for a new limited edition.

I asked the question of Watchfinder whilst doing my deal for the BP FF and they don't know at this stage. As with all desirable watches, they get one in and test the market. They basically said that if you sell straight away you will make a profit, but at this stage they don't know by how much.

Given so many people are so desperate for this, and you seem rather ambivalent and already considering flipping options, why not just pass on your place* to someone who missed out and would really appreciate it far more / keep it long term?

*since Omega probably won't switch names, you could just arrange to pass it directly on, unopened, to that person after you take delivery

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Given so many people are so desperate for this, and you seem rather ambivalent and already considering flipping options, why not just pass on your place* to someone who missed out and would really appreciate it far more / keep it long term?

*since Omega probably won't switch names, you could just arrange to pass it directly on, unopened, to that person after you take delivery
    I cannot pass my place on to someone else, if I give my place up Omega will reallocate the watch. I have already promised it to someone on here if I don't want to keep it. You will have seen Ryan's posts yesterday, so the blue Moonphase is no longer an option.

I will wait until it arrives, but it is still not floating my boat.

Master

It's a tricky subject as ts pretty much guaranteed to trade a fair sum over retail. It would be in the "spirit of the forum" but then what if that person then sells t on for a profit? i think with these watches it's abit more complicated...as ryan has mentioned before i have also been offered around the £7-8k mark for one so let's see how the market will pan out. I for one am planning to keep it however!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I doubt it. What will happen there is that it initially goes to one of the original London ADs. mentioned during the ordering process, Bond St etc and then they 'prepare' it for the customer by removing all the transport junk and then ship it up to you naked.
    Well *I certainly won't be naked and I don't expect the AD or the courier to be either ;).

* Unless Julie Benz is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    .. i have also been offered around the £7-8k mark for one....
    I think £8k would persuade me to release mine although I've a short history of refusing above MV offers.....
    Last edited by deepreddave; 24th May 2017 at 13:33.

Master
    It's a tricky subject as ts pretty much guaranteed to trade a fair sum over retail. It would be in the "spirit of the forum" but then what if that person then sells t on for a profit? i think with these watches it's abit more complicated...as ryan has mentioned before i have also been offered around the £7-8k mark for one so let's see how the market will pan out. I for one am planning to keep it however!

I really don't like this iteration, so had no interest either at release or now, but I suspect many people signed up initially with all the forum hype, spurred on by the fact that there no requirement to put money down. It was just a fun, easy thing to do and I suspect many people who aren't even Speedmaster fans just got in on the rush because it's what people with a collectors mentality often do.

As the hype as built, and there is much talk of the value potentially sky-rocketing, I think many of those chancers now realise they have stumbled onto something valuable, and I reckon 75% of these will end up on the secondary market within 12 months.

No idea how that will affect values. I suspect there'll be an initial spike in value and then a drop off after 12-24 months when people realise it's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster... but of course I might end up eating my shoe when these are trading for >£10 24 months from now!

PS to be clear, I am not making any specific prods to anyone here! Just a general observation.

I currently plan on keeping mine but 8k is a good mark up so can see the attraction.

Not going to lie and not say I do have dark thoughts about moving the ST, SDc and Daytona on for a tidy profit all round to step into something a little more special, but then I love my two Rolex's and think the ST will just add to the collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I currently plan on keeping mine but 8k is a good mark up so can see the attraction.

Not going to lie and not say I do have dark thoughts about moving the ST, SDc and Daytona on for a tidy profit all round to step into something a little more special, but then I love my two Rolex's and think the ST will just add to the collection.
    You currently have what seems to be considered the three hottest watches; Quite the triptic !

Master
    It's a tricky subject as ts pretty much guaranteed to trade a fair sum over retail. It would be in the "spirit of the forum" but then what if that person then sells t on for a profit?
    I think the thing that is unusual here is that one could sign up for the watch "free of charge", and as such many chancers and profiteers would have done so because there was nothing lost on getting on ze list.

Had Omega taken advance payments, I think the popularity would be much less, and also many more would have gone to keeper-owners.

PS to be clear, I am not making any specific prods to anyone here! Just a general observation.
    I must admit that when I read your comments, I could definitely feel something pushing into my ribs.

I agree that people may have been caught up in the hype on that morning. I myself received the e-mail direct from Omega as I am on their mailing lists then came on here to see what people were saying about it.

Having owned two Silver Snoopy's (paying heavily over RRP on both occasions), a Speedmaster 39mm Automatic (Reduced) and an Apollo XI 35th anniversary Panda I was curious about the ST and yes you are right, if I had been required to put a £2k deposit down that day I would not have committed.

Why make it a reverse panda, the original from 1978 was an all black dial, why not go the whole hog and make it a panda, that would have been much better in my opinion.

I will collect it when the time comes, see what I think of it and obviously make a decision based on what the market is doing.

You seem the be criticising the way Omega had handled this allowing people to dip their toe in for a bit of fun if they wanted to. It makes a nice change from the same members on here always being first on the list with a Ceramic Daytona or a SD43 getting theirs on day one and the rest of us being told to wait 7 to 10 years. If some of them missed out, then good.

Master
    Not digging at you WallaseyRunner.

PS, you never mentioned you owned a Silver Snoopy before ;-p

Not digging at you WallaseyRunner.

PS, you never mentioned you owned a Silver Snoopy before ;-p
    Second one was a mistake, I thought that I was missing it, but apparently I wasn't. It is just a watch after all - as is the ST.

You currently have what seems to be considered the three hottest watches; Quite the triptic !
    Thank you :)

Obviously the ST isn't in yet but after having a collection of six now down to the two I'm pretty content (if there's such i thing for us)

Do have a deposit down on an AP but supply is taking ages and keep looking at other options and thinking how happy I am with just the two Rolex's so back on the fence a little.

Also promised a black Daytona to pair with the white this year which I need to be mindful of and make sure I don't empty the watch fund (too much)

Master
    Blog Entries
    You seem the be criticising the way Omega had handled this allowing people to dip their toe in for a bit of fun if they wanted to. It makes a nice change from the same members on here always being first on the list with a Ceramic Daytona or a SD43 getting theirs on day one and the rest of us being told to wait 7 to 10 years. If some of them missed out, then good.

This. Fair play if you have the cash to cultivate an AD so that you get LEs and are first on the list for desirable watches, but most people don't. It's nice to have something that levels the playing field a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    This. Fair play if you have the cash to cultivate an AD so that you get LEs and are first on the list for desirable watches, but most people don't. It's nice to have something that levels the playing field a bit.
    This won't though - it will just mean most will be immediately flipped causing a spike and a temporary shortage.

However, I agree with the sentiment re: "cultivating relationships".

I think Omega should simply have asked for a 20% deposit, and that would have immediately weeded out 95% of people who tried to log on that day to get their name on the list, whilst still "levelling the playing field" as you say.

I think Omega should simply have asked for a 20% deposit, and that would have immediately weeded out 95% of people who tried to log on that day to get their name on the list, whilst still "levelling the playing field" as you say.
    You weren't out on a long bike ride when all this happened by any chance

Master
    You weren't out on a long bike ride when all this happened by any chance
    Ha, I guess I do sound like someone bitter for having missed out, but no I genuinely don't like this one. I do like the applied logo (a "thing" of mine) but it's not something I personally would want to spend that sort of money on.

And have transformed from a cyclist to a runner these days :-)

And have transformed from a cyclist to a runner these days :-)
    Good man, I wish I could, my knees are Donald Ducked.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think 20% deposit would have put many people off - except it may have prevented people from putting down more than one reservation. Or more than two, as I've seen someone mention elsewhere...

I don't think it's reasonable to call someone buying a watch at a set RRP and selling it at any later point, at a price the market will then bear, a "chancer" or a "profiteer." The assumption seems to be that a "genuine," long term, Omega collector has more right to own this watch, released in this unique way. I don't see it.

However, obtaining multiple reservations, by means of using different e-mail addresses (for example) does in my opinion cross the line of underhandedness. I'm sure Omega will have measures in place to prevent that sort of behaviour; after all their e-mails do state; "We do not guarantee that the assigned or chosen limited edition number or any reserved watch will be available for sale." That's a nice get out clause.

It will be interesting to see whether Omega ever adopt precisely this means of release again, or whether they modify it, say by staggering releases to take account of different time zones. That might address some of the perceived unfairness about the process.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    However, obtaining multiple reservations, by means of using different e-mail addresses (for example) does in my opinion cross the line of underhandedness. I'm sure Omega will have measures in place to prevent that sort of behaviour; after all their e-mails do state; "We do not guarantee that the assigned or chosen limited edition number or any reserved watch will be available for sale." That's a nice get out clause.
    I totally agree, saw someone on omega forums who was boasting of 2 reservations. Suspect it will be very difficult for omega to police this. No doubt folk with multiple reservations will collect from different OB/ADs.

Please hurry with this SC is killing me at the moment 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Please hurry with this SC is killing me at the moment 
    Agreed, we always moan about having to save for a watch, but having the cash ready is even worse - so many temptations, like people listing blue Speedmasters

Agreed, we always moan about having to save for a watch, but having the cash ready is even worse - so many temptations, like people listing blue Speedmasters
    Haha yeah, sorry about that 😂

Bloody missing it massively, it was my first speedy and was really impressed. I can't wait for the ST to come. Are we there yet?

Craftsman
    . Are we there yet?
    Almost! First deliveries are beginning of June through to August. Just a week or two and we'all see them start coming through!!!

I asked the question of Watchfinder whilst doing my deal for the BP FF and they don't know at this stage. As with all desirable watches, they get one in and test the market. They basically said that if you sell straight away you will make a profit, but at this stage they don't know by how much.

Problem is if they get 4 or 5 in quite quickly, that may dampen things down a little. We still don't know the impact of most US buyers missing out. There may be a few hardcore collectors who will pay big money to get one early, just like with Snoopy, Ceramic Daytonas and SD43 etc, but I suspect things will calm down.

I don't see this as another Snoopy with people doubling their money overnight, but equally i don't think it will be the disaster that the market for CK2988 turned out to be with people selling below RRP and losing money. Somewhere in the middle, but perhaps nearer to RRP.
    Since when was selling a used watch below new prices a market disaster. Special editions that immediately rise in value should be a rare breed indeed. Slight fall in value for it being used should be the norm. To buy a new watch in the EXPECTATION that it should rise in value is in my opinion surely the wrong reason to buy a watch? No doubt others feel different and I'll hear about it but the irony of being disappointed at not making instant profit on a used watch is not lost on me. It smacks of profiteering by people who don't really want the watch in the first place. Sure some will buy it genuinely and find they don't bond with it etc but quick-buck-syndrome is a real malaise.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Since when was selling a used watch below new prices a market disaster. Special editions that immediately rise in value should be a rare breed indeed. Slight fall in value for it being used should be the norm. To buy a new watch in the EXPECTATION that it should rise in value is in my opinion surely the wrong reason to buy a watch? No doubt others feel different and I'll hear about it but the irony of being disappointed at not making instant profit on a used watch is not lost on me. It smacks of profiteering by people who don't really want the watch in the first place. Sure some will buy it genuinely and find they don't bond with it etc but quick-buck-syndrome is a real malaise
    I hear what you say and in normal circumstances you are absolutey correct. The point that I was making was that after Snoopy some people jumped on the bandwagon buying the next Speedmaster limited edition because they thought that it was a guaranteed winner and of course it wasn't.

I was talking about the financial implications for those considering moving their ST on quickly and rightly or wrongly some will.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 25th May 2017 at 22:05.

I hear what you say and in normal circumstances you are absolutey correct. The point that I was making was that after Snoopy some people jumped on the bandwagon buying the next Speedmaster limited edition because they thought that it was a guaranteed winner and of course it wasn't.

I was talking about the financial implications for those considering moving their ST on quickly and rightly or wrongly some will.
    Yes and to be clear I wasn't having a go at you over it. It just irks when people with little or no love for watches smell a gravy train. I'm 100% sure that doesn't apply here in majority of cases, but in the industry as a whole it's becoming more rife year on year.

Yes and to be clear I wasn't having a go at you over it. It just irks when people with little or no love for watches smell a gravy train. I'm 100% sure that doesn't apply here in majority of cases, but in the industry as a whole it's becoming more rife year on year.
    But how do we stop it, you only have to read the threads on here about ADs withholding cards or removing stickers and people refusing to buy as a result. It is a tricky debate. I think the problem is that some of these tactics have been isolated ADs whilst others have carried on as normal.

Personally, I would welcome something announced from the likes of PP, Rolex, Omega and AP etc direct that for their desirable models their new rules would apply and all ADs worldwide would be obliged to comply. For those unhappy it would make the waiting lists shorter for the rest of us.

It's limited edition chaos out there. The real historical investment pieces weren't Ltd editions mostly, they just became classics over time. Sigh - it is what it is. I'd love a ck2998 but deliberately avoided it due to the madness surrounding it. Maybe in time I'll pick one up. No rush eh?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's limited edition chaos out there. The real historical investment pieces weren't Ltd editions mostly, they just became classics over time. Sigh - it is what it is. I'd love a ck2998 but deliberately avoided it due to the madness surrounding it. Maybe in time I'll pick one up. No rush eh?

There have been 4 listings on SC well under RRP since January, including one with a bracelet for £3800. Did you try picking up the phone to speak to an AD, they weren't that difficult to find.

My interest in the piece faded quite fast and my eyes moved onto other shiny things. My point stands re there being just too many Ltd editions. Still if it works for Omega why would they stop.

When the dealers start selling at RRP you know that any bubble that may have existed has well and truly burst. Click on the link if you are still thinking about it...

https://www.vintagespeedmaster.com/p...dmaster-ck2998

Master
    When the dealers start selling at RRP you know that any bubble that may have existed has well and truly burst. Click on the link if you are still thinking about it...

You have to remember also the CK2998, ALOT of them were made, 2998 to be exact.

You have to remember also the CK2998, ALOT of them were made, 2998 to be exact.
    Agreed, but that's only 900 more than Snoopy and Speedy Tuesday. Does less than 1,000 extra really make that much difference.

I disliked the watch from day one - it just wasn't for me.

Agreed, but that's only 900 more than Snoopy and Speedy Tuesday. Does less than 1,000 extra really make that much difference.

I think it's subjective but to me sub 500 is exclusive enough to warrant Ltd edition status. In the thousands not so much

Master

I do agree with you that 2012 is also not that "limited" either. But I have seen watches around the 2000 mark do well, take the Panerai 390 for example. Traded above premium from day one and has continued to do so till today.

At the end of the day, the watch has to be attractive and "generally" the watch has been received very positively by many, including myself, I never owned a Speedie before but this one really ticks alot of boxes for me.

Now see what you've done. Revived slightly an old itch I had. Fortunately I don't have the cash for it just now. Could be 4 grands worth of future buyers remorse for me if I had it in the paypal just now -

Now see what you've done. Revived slightly an old itch I had. Fortunately I don't have the cash for it just now. Could be 4 grands worth of future buyers remorse for me if I had it in the paypal just now
    This could be a solution to the age old problem of the hunt is more enjoyable than the actual ownership - find watches for other people, then that would cut out having to buy and flip.

I could set up a business and call it Watch Finder - oh bu**er someone beat me to it

For me it's not about the money, it's about how much I like the watch, the design and love how it looks on the Nato.

It wouldn't bother me if I sold it for a loss at all, I want to enjoy a watch I like. Since owning a Speedy I just love the simplicity of them.

For me it's not about the money, it's about how much I like the watch, the design and love how it looks on the Nato.

It wouldn't bother me if I sold it for a loss at all, I want to enjoy a watch I like. Since owning a Speedy I just love the simplicity of them.
    Well said and I think it is a gorgeous looking watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A heads up for those on the Speedy Tuesday list.

- You will get 30 days to pick up your watch once you are notified by email (Omega Forums post)
    - Deliveries will start "very soon" in batches, so not all 2012 at once. Some low edition numbers first but depending on the QC process (Robert-Jan Broer post on Facebook)

^^^^ Cheers for the update!

Craftsman
    Got a new deployant strap in today for the speedy. Fitted to the tag to wear it in a bit.

Nice! Is it Omega or another make?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    Nice! Is it Omega or another make?
    Just a generic one off eBay.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/292026561515...96&_mwBanner=1
    Seems decent enough quality though. Just need the watch to fit it to now!