Wake me up when September comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Feeling green (to)day?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    Feeling green (to)day?
    👏

Two weeks and a day after I received the e-mail saying mine was leaving Omega, I #GotMySpeedyTuesday today.

Complete with transportation case (slightly less solid than the Rolex offering...!)

A quick photo whilst unboxing...

A couple with the original strap in place...

Before it was swiftly removed and I started playing around with ones that might actually suit it better...

Considering putting the faded bezel I have on for a more vintage look...

But we'll save that for another day and start actually wearing the watch for now...

Happy #SpeedyTuesdayFriday everyone!

All the best,

Paul

Craftsman
    Congratulations Paul! Photo's look awesome, not sure about the faded bezel though! What's your first impressions on the watch, worth the hype?

Looks great and nice pics as well.
    Looks worth every penny of .........£4100:-)

Master
    Interesting to read that "The watches are being produced in small batches and in a random order" and yet only the low serial numbers have been delivered. For those of us with a higher number (chosen as a memorable/significant number) this suggests they are in fact sending them out in serial number order...and there's quite a way to go yet. I wonder if the different finishing to the watch, different dial, hands etc is causing a fair bit of manual intervention getting these watches out the door?

Still not sure about the strap selection that comes with the watch, but as shown it is just as versatile as the regular Speedy strap-wise :-)

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    Congratulations Paul! Photo's look awesome, not sure about the faded bezel though! What's your first impressions on the watch, worth the hype?
    Thanks Andy!

First impressions are that it does actually live up to the hype! I should add that I had a prototype on my wrist a couple of weeks ago and I was a little unsure about it at that stage. The reason for that was simple: it was on the striped Omega Nato, which is way too thick and really doesn't do the watch any favours at all. The brown leather that comes with it isn't much better in my opinion.

However, Ant is absolutely right in that it is just as versatile as the regular Speedy when it comes to straps. Apologies for what follows but here are some options I tried out this evening...

Hodinkee Black Leather:

GLC Beige Suede:

Time Traveler Dark Brown Leather:

Rios Dark Grey Leather:

Apollo Dark Brown Leather:

Hirsch Merino Black Leather:

Eddie's Black Canvas:

Grey Nato:

Black Nato:

Omega Mesh:

And back to the Hodinkee Suede Camo:

I also have a 1171 bracelet on order to give another option (as if I don't have enough already...!)

All the best,

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Have just seen this - a reverse panda named the Speedy Tuesday. Reservations can be made on the Omega website.

https://www.omegawatches.com/speedytuesday/

Looks really nice. The design to me is still striking many decades after it was introduced in original form

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Thanks Andy!

First impressions are that it does actually live up to the hype! I should add that I had a prototype on my wrist a couple of weeks ago and I was a little unsure about it at that stage. The reason for that was simple: it was on the striped Omega Nato, which is way too thick and really doesn't do the watch any favours at all. The brown leather that comes with it isn't much better in my opinion.

However, Ant is absolutely right in that it is just as versatile as the regular Speedy when it comes to straps. Apologies for what follows but here are some options I tried out this evening...

Hodinkee Black Leather:

GLC Beige Suede:

Time Traveler Dark Brown Leather:

Rios Dark Grey Leather:

Apollo Dark Brown Leather:

Hirsch Merino Black Leather:

Eddie's Black Canvas:

Grey Nato:

Black Nato:

Omega Mesh:

And back to the Hodinkee Suede Camo:

I also have a 1171 bracelet on order to give another option (as if I don't have enough already...!)

All the best,

Paul
    Very nice Paul and congratulations, I received a message this morning informing me mine will be available for collection on Monday, it will be going straight on the 1171 just as you have ordered so I'll be sure to share a pic of two. Very, very excited :)

Master
    Great pics and I'll be trying it on a vintage JPM but have a feeling the Snoopy black sailcloth (or lookalikey) is going to be unavoidable.

Anyone asked Omega about the quality of the strap if it really feels poor given the £4.1k retail? If not I'm happy to raise it as it's a bugbear of mine...

Craftsman
    Can I ask the guys that have received (kept) the watch, what have you done with regards to insurance price? Can you insure a watch above rrp price? Obviously if it gets lost or stolen getting another one will be a lot harder/more expensive!

^Interesting point regarding insurance, I've been wondering the exact same thing. Don't think my insurers offer cover above retail as they ask for a copy of payment receipt if you wish to itemise something like a watch. Slightly concerning if the values do remain high(or even increase) as insurance cover would be way short of a replacement should the unthinkable happen.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Great pics and I'll be trying it on a vintage JPM but have a feeling the Snoopy black sailcloth (or lookalikey) is going to be unavoidable.

Anyone asked Omega about the quality of the strap if it really feels poor given the £4.1k retail? If not I'm happy to raise it as it's a bugbear of mine...
    Considering it seems to be universally disliked I think it might be an idea to offer feedback, and I might do the same. Don't expect anything in return but they certainly seemed way off the mark with their strap choices on this one as for all the love of the watch, very very few seem to accept the straps as viable choices. Even Robert-Jan who was one of the few I've read in praise of the strap seems to almost exclusively wear his ST on bracelet going by his facebook photos.

No big deal of course as we all like choosing our own anyway, but somebody made a bad choice here as you'd expect at least 50% of people to like the included strap/s(especially as there's two of them). I must have read every snippet of info and comments going about the ST and can only remember one or two people praising the leather strap(a few more liking the NATO).
    Last edited by Tetlee; 16th July 2017 at 09:58.

Master
    I have just one issue with the Speedy, and that's the slightly unpleasant quality of the winder. It feels 'gritty' compared with other manuals, and isn't particularly pleasant to wind. Small thing I suppose, and it won't stop me buying an ST. As for the strap, they all get changed anyway.......Role on September. Which I bet slides deep into October.
    Maybe this will be a Christmas watch.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have just one issue with the Speedy, and that's the slightly unpleasant quality of the winder. It feels 'gritty' compared with other manuals, and isn't particularly pleasant to wind. Small thing I suppose, and it won't stop me buying an ST. As for the strap, they all get changed anyway.......Role on September. Which I bet slides deep into October.
    Maybe this will be a Christmas watch.
    Yeah Speedys aren't the nicest watches to wind I agree, especially having owned the CWC 70's pilot reissue, now that thing was a pure joy.

I find them a pig to wind due to the crown guard.

Rolling the underside of the crown along the side of my index bent finger is the easiest way to wind it I find. (If that makes sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Very nice Paul and congratulations, I received a message this morning informing me mine will be available for collection on Monday, it will be going straight on the 1171 just as you have ordered so I'll be sure to share a pic of two. Very, very excited :)
    Thanks Tetlee!

I've been wearing it exclusively since I collected it and swapped between a number of straps, including a beige Nato that I didn't take a photo of but that works really well too. Today it is on the Hodinkee black leather for a slightly smarter look at work but I'll be interested in seeing the pics of yours on the 1171 and to hear your impressions once you have picked it up.

All the best,

Paul

Well, chalk my name down into the club, collected this afternoon.

Early impressions, certainly a beautiful watch. Now I bought this in a way as a replacement for my Apollo-Soyuz(which I was forced to sell a couple of years ago due to circumstances) where metorite dial aside they share a good few similarities. Am I as happy with the ST as I was with that watch? Too early to say yet, it's slightly less legible when the hands are over the subdials(the hands of the Soyuz were polished steel, but the subs were more grey giving some contrast, here the colour is almost the same), but also less reflective due to the hesalite and more matt dial(the meteorite could be quite shiny in certain lights).

I tried on a Mk2 Speedy while I was waiting for the call, and I must say that impressed me so much how well it wore that it did make me wonder about selling this, buying that and having a couple grand in the bank for holidays, but I think I will be one that will stick with my ST as it certainly has something rather special about it. I mean just look at how well the light catches those subdials, I can appreciate the depth far more than I ever could my Apollo-Soyuz.

The strap as expected was a real disappointment for me, very soft I'll give it that but did absolutely nothing for the watch IMO and was removed without even having to fit it onto my wrist. Didn't try the NATO yet as was eager to fit the 1171 bracelet I purchased a good while ago for it. Might try some other straps tomorrow.

One funny thing, I could have easily walked out without paying. The store staff thought it was already payed for and suggested that was all done, it wasn't until I informed then I hadn't payed anything yet that they delved into the paperwork and realised I had to pay. I'm an honest bloke lucky for them. No freebies such as Omega pens and perfume as I've seen one or two others gain from AD's but I already feel lucky enough to have this. My number is 89 by the way before anyone asks.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 17th July 2017 at 20:37.

Congrats Tetlee - that does look really good on the 1171!

It is interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison with the Apollo-Soyuz too as I've always been a fan of the look of that with the meteorite dial. As you say, I don't think there's a need for both in the same collection (although neither are likely to lose you money!) and the sub-dials on the ST do look great when the light catches them.

I think it really is a watch you need to see in person (and without either of the supplied straps) to appreciate. I've owned a Mk2 Speedy (vintage) and, whilst it was a nice watch, I would never swap the ST (or any other Moonwatch) for it and a couple of grand.

Glad to hear you like the ST (and are wearing it, rather than flipping it!) and look forward to seeing what other straps you've got lined up.

All the best,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Congrats Tetlee - that does look really good on the 1171!

It is interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison with the Apollo-Soyuz too as I've always been a fan of the look of that with the meteorite dial. As you say, I don't think there's a need for both in the same collection (although neither are likely to lose you money!) and the sub-dials on the ST do look great when the light catches them.

I think it really is a watch you need to see in person (and without either of the supplied straps) to appreciate. I've owned a Mk2 Speedy (vintage) and, whilst it was a nice watch, I would never swap the ST (or any other Moonwatch) for it and a couple of grand.

Glad to hear you like the ST (and are wearing it, rather than flipping it!) and look forward to seeing what other straps you've got lined up.

All the best,

Paul
    Thanks Paul,

The other strap options might have to wait for a bit, mentioned to the wife trying straps and she gave me "the look" Besides which I'm more than happy wearing it on the bracelet for now, will experiment for straps further down the line. I must say with the fully brushed case together with the brushed bracelet is does look more toolish than you would ever expect from a Speedmaster. I'm really enjoying it.

Which strap did you settle on or decide you like best in the end?

I can see me wearing it on a Hirsch Heritage at some point as those are among my favourite straps for both looks and comfort.

Another pic I took earlier, the dog is giving us an idea how a panda rather than a reverse panda might have looked ;)

Last edited by Tetlee; 18th July 2017 at 14:55.

Master

(Another) New Limited Edition Speedmaster

And another???
    I was wondering why it was taking them so long!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post

And another???
    I was wondering why it was taking them so long!!!

Not the Speedy Friday!

Another Apollo limited edition, but I struggle to guess which one. There seems to be an anniversary of one of them every ten minutes.

Master
    Fwiw I did ask Omega about the early recipients' lukewarm response to the strap and was advised Please know that the creation of this strap was the collaboration between Fratello Watches and OMEGA. Furthermore, we actually compared the quality of the veal leather to other OMEGA and other strap produced by other brands and for this reason, we can certify the quality of the leather. While all our watches are sold with a strap or bracelet we are unable to dissociate the strap from the watch.
    The latter comment is in response to whether they'd look to a strap plus cash exchange for the Snoopy sailcloth. Don't ask, don't get :)

There was a pic on insta a long time ago of Buzz working on a watch with Omega. This must be it.

Master
    I'm not an owner, but that leather strap reminds me of the colour of an Apple leather iPad case I once had. Over time it mellowed, picked up dirt and became pleasantly distressed. It completely changed color and looked cool in the end, like vintage luggage. Out of the box it was quite jarring and too new looking. Maybe the same would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'm not an owner, but that leather strap reminds me of the colour of an Apple leather iPad case I once had. Over time it mellowed, picked up dirt and became pleasantly distressed. It completely changed color and looked cool in the end, like vintage luggage. Out of the box it was quite jarring and too new looking. Maybe the same would happen?
    Always possible. Colour aside I don't think the strap works with a smaller wrist, when they're thin and soft like that with what is a fairly large watch it just seems to look all wrong IMO. This is why I like straps such as the Hirsch Heritage, the padded ends give a bit of shape and good amount of visible strap top and bottom of the watch.

Craftsman
    Should be receiving mine tomorrow or Friday as I got a call saying it's on it's way to me

Already have a speedy pro so whatever one I like the most will stay the other will go

How is no one talking about the buzz aldrin omega Instagram post? Looks like there is a new watch on the 21st...?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How is no one talking about the buzz aldrin omega Instagram post? Looks like there is a new watch on the 21st...?
    It has been mentioned, but no one has any details. The watch in the image looks like a pre-moon with don insert, is the suggestion that Omega are going to start knocking out modern pre-moon watches? Or is that actually Buzz's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It has been mentioned, but no one has any details. The watch in the image looks like a pre-moon with don insert, is the suggestion that Omega are going to start knocking out modern pre-moon watches? Or is that actually Buzz's watch.
    I was in a Goldsmiths today who knew nothing and called Ernest Jones who were a lot more helpful and called Omega to enquire. In short Omega UK know something is coming but not exactly what as social media is dealt with from Switzerland. Couldn't tell me if it was an order online thing like the Speedy Tuesday or if it would be in store. Have to keep our eyes peeled.

I was in a Goldsmiths today who knew nothing and called Ernest Jones who were a lot more helpful and called Omega to enquire. In short Omega UK know something is coming but not exactly what as social media is dealt with from Switzerland. Couldn't tell me if it was an order online thing like the Speedy Tuesday or if it would be in store. Have to keep our eyes peeled.
    You should have said, I don't care what it is, I want to be number one on the list.

You should have said, I don't care what it is, I want to be number one on the list.
    I tried!

I've made a uturn on the supplied ST tan strap, something I've never liked in images and vowed never to wear it. Been trying some straps today and ended deciding to give the original strap a go, I actually quite like it and wearing it now. It's certainly super comfy, not perfect but far better than I expected, don't dismiss it straight away as I did folks.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 20th July 2017 at 20:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Should be receiving mine tomorrow or Friday as I got a call saying it's on it's way to me

Already have a speedy pro so whatever one I like the most will stay the other will go

Is it a call or email?
    Are you picking it up from the Buchanan St boutique ?
    Just wondering if you will be the 1st one from there.

Coincidence? "Landing" anytime from midnight.

Craftsman
    Coincidence? "Landing" anytime from midnight.
    Yep, here it is. The Speedmaster "What if Buzz Aldrin identified as a girl" special edition

So not a watch at all, but a movie... With no tie in, surely not!?

Master
    Yeah, just watched the short movie. There must be a sequel soon!

It's just a cheap plug for a normal moonwatch available in store near you, like it has been for years.

Funny but we all seem disappointed that it isn't another Limited Edition!

Is that because we now have nothing to moan about?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Funny but we all seem disappointed that it isn't another Limited Edition!

Is that because we now have nothing to moan about?

No, nothing for the flippers...

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    No, nothing for the flippers...
    Ah well, back to debating the Hulk for me.

Another Apollo limited edition, but I struggle to guess which one. There seems to be an anniversary of one of them every ten minutes.
    Either they are about 5 months late remembering 50 years since the Apollo 1 disaster or 3 months late celebrating the 45th anniversary of Apollo 16

Sorry if it's been asked before but has anyone found a decent cheapish strap like the brown leather with white stiching that comes with the speedy tuesday?

Andybaird's trying to sell his watch and on his second attempt of listing it, and the SC and clearly asking...

"If there are any question or comments please PM me and can we keep any discussion to the speedy Tuesday thread in watch talk"
    He still gets 10 posts, presumably from people not wanting to buy it. WTF is wrong with these people?

Here is a massive thread about the Speedy Tuesday, post your opinions here.

Craftsman
    Disappointed not to get an invite to the omega speedmaster event in Glasgow.
    Makes you question what the omega marketing dept are doing with the information they got from the ST ordering process.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight View Post
    Sorry if it's been asked before but has anyone found a decent cheapish strap like the brown leather with white stiching that comes with the speedy tuesday?
    Best strap option I've seen so far but not brown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Andybaird's trying to sell his watch and on his second attempt of listing it.

He still gets 10 posts, presumably from people not wanting to buy it. WTF is wrong with these people?

Here is a massive thread about the Speedy Tuesday, post your opinions here.
    Agreed - very poor show by those that posted on his thread.

Best strap option I've seen so far but not brown.

I have the same strap waiting for mine. Just waiting for the call.