closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: (Another) New Limited Edition Speedmaster

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    I reckon maybe £1k at most once the craziness subsides...it seems like the demand is likely to come US folks who were asleep when it launched.
    The USD price is $6500 plus local sales tax which dependent on state at current exchange rate equates to equivalent list price of between £5-5.4k.
    Given the demand (US in particular), and poor exchange rate can't see these trading at less than £1k above list as this is still effectively less than US list price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure they'll command at least $1000 over the US list price for the foreseeable future - it was the US West Coast that largely missed out on reservations due to time zone differences, and that area has a significant collector market.

Things sohuld calm down once the Omega 60th Anniversary watches start to hit market also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Number 52?

Sorry that ain't mine, should have been clear. Pictures credit to the Facebook group. It does look even nicer in "real" photos I think.

Master
    I did wonder if you were perhaps operating under a pseudonym 🤔

Master
    If all Speedy Tuesdays are numbered, against the list of buyers, then Omega will surely know who flips these watches. A computer stroke and these people could be banned from future transactions.
    Assuming Omega care. Which I doubt, because big grey sales boost long-term prices. Which makes these Omega's more sought-after.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th June 2017 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If all Speedy Tuesdays are numbered, against the list of buyers, then Omega will surely know who flips these watches. A computer stroke and these people could be banned from future transactions.
    Assuming Omega care. Which I doubt, because big grey sales boost long-term prices. Which makes these Omega's more sought-after.
    Correct. I have spoken to a couple of dealers who have been allocated a ST for themselves and all say that in no way could they ever list the watch on their own site for the reasons you state.

Selling to WF is also a gamble as they always publish the LE number, which should result in your predicted outcome.

A private sale seems the way to go

Number 80 is now at Watchfinder

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/S...203/item/92178

Anyone fancy ringing to get the POA.

They're listening to offers over £10k.

They're listening to offers over £10k.
    Well knock me down with a rolled up copy of Exchange and Mart.

I assume the seller must of got close to £7k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fair play to buyers. I just saw a Speedy pro on leather with a reverse panda dial and passed on this.

I couldn't justify a £1600 premium on the speedy pro

I guess it makes those eBay ones look cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Well knock me down with a rolled up copy of Exchange and Mart.

I assume the seller must of got close to £7k.
    Nope, they are paying less than 6k and have been offered over 20 of them so far

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post

Good grief, seems everyone is a tout these days.

Apprentice
    Love it , refined and stylish .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I can believe they have but POA would be nearer £7k than £10k or the price differential will rapidly close.

(Another) New Limited Edition Speedmaster

Good grief, seems everyone is a tout these days.
    Sad if true. But I doubt those figures are true since there are very few owners at this stage. On the Snoopy strap I think this looks absolutely great, I may be tempted to give Omega the daft money they ask for the strap and clasp.

Last edited by -Ally-; 29th June 2017 at 17:29.

Blog Entries
    On the Snoopy strap I think this looks absolutely great, I may be tempted to give Omega the daft money they ask for the strap and clasp.

Agree 100% ,this is the way I'm going .

Sad if true. But I doubt those figures are true since there are very few owners at this stage. On the Snoopy strap I think this looks absolutely great, I may be tempted to give Omega the daft money they ask for the strap and clasp.

Having owned that strap and deployant twice I can confirm that it is a quality piece of kit, extremely comfortable and the outer mesh is wipeable with a damp cloth if it ever gets marked.

Expensive, but worth the money if the watch is a keeper.

I do agree that configuration is the best that I have seen. The Newcastle United NATO looks horrible on it.

Don't suppose you know how it compares with that strap currently on SC ?

Honest answer is no, but logically the Omega is much better. The inner is a leather strap with that Sailcloth / mesh type covering sown on the outside. You also have that line of rubber with the holes in, which is a nice touch.

Craftsman
    I've got the Bobs watch one and it's ok. Will be buying the omega one if I can find somewhere that lets me buy it or get one direct from Jean Rousseau.

This would be ridiculous. A big WIS friend of mine discovered it in time and ordered it with the intention of giving it to his best friend. It's in his name but once he gives it away anything could happen to the watch.
    Why should he be penalised for that?
    Omega won't be able to follow all the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    This would be ridiculous. A big WIS friend of mine discovered it in time and ordered it with the intention of giving it to his best friend. It's in his name but once he gives it away anything could happen to the watch.
    Why should he be penalised for that?
    Omega won't be able to follow all the trail.

I don't think they would want to longer term but initially they might be keeping an eye out. That one on Watchfinder is an obvious one for them to blacklist!

Master
    The allocation of specific numbers to specific customers , in the computer age, inevitably gives Omega a deep insight into what is going on. I suspect Omega will use this first internet-launch to grab all the information they can. I mean, wouldn't you?
    As a simple example, they could quickly establish the age , wealth and education of the 1200 buyers. Knowledge is power and all that. At the very least, this is a list of keen watch buyers....the very people they need to target in the longer term. Trawling for customers among the general public is vastly more difficult.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th June 2017 at 18:26.

Master
    The allocation of specific numbers to specific customers , in the computer age, inevitably gives Omega a deep insight into what is going on. I suspect Omega will use this first internet-launch to grab all the information they can. I mean, wouldn't you?
    As a simple example, they could quickly establish the age , wealth and education of the 1200 buyers. Knowledge is power and all that. At the very least, this is a list of keen watch buyers....the very people they need to target in the longer term. Trawling for customers among the general public is vastly more difficult.
    There are actually 2012 buyers, unless you think many have snapped up multiple watches each. I agree it will give them some insight and it will tell them who instantly flipped though they may not give a hoot about that as long as the sales keep rolling in.

Master
    Snoopy strap transforms it IMO, but I've never been a fan of leather straps.

Out of interest, for those who received a call from Omega, was it an international call or from your nominated store in the U.K.

The reason I ask is that I had international calls blocked on my land line due to pesky overseas call centres, but I have seen a few attempted calls over the last few days and the thought did occur, what if those lovely people at Omega are trying to get in touch and I have blocked them.

I have now removed the block just in case and will leave it unblocked until I get the call.

It looks good on the leather, but that strap looks stunning.

Yeah this is the best combo for me. I was between ordering this and the 1171 bracelet but went for the bracelet in the end, kind of thinking I should have gone snoopy strap first.

Somebody over on the Omega Forums shared this pic earlier, looks great(credit to ashleysteadman over there for the pic).

Master
    I didn't realise there are over 2000 STs being sold ; isn't that going to limit mark-ups? It's a lot of watches to arrive on the market.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Yeah this is the best combo for me. I was between ordering this and the 1171 bracelet but went for the bracelet in the end, kind of thinking I should have gone snoopy strap first.

Somebody over on the Omega Forums shared this pic earlier, looks great(credit to ashleysteadman over there for the pic).

Although I think he said that he went for the grey stitching instead of the white.

I didn't realise there are over 2000 STs being sold ; isn't that going to limit mark-ups? It's a lot of watches to arrive on the market.
    There are conflicting reports of the numbers of people on Omega's reserve list ranging from 4,000 to 7,500. Where these figures come from I have no idea, but given the uncertainty of the US market (many missing out) we can only speculate on the demand. 2,000 is not a lot as Snoopy proved.

To give you context, image if only 2,000 Daytonas or SD43s were issued.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, for those who received a call from Omega, was it an international call or from your nominated store in the U.K.

The reason I ask is that I had international calls blocked on my land line due to pesky overseas call centres, but I have seen a few attempted calls over the last few days and the thought did occur, what if those lovely people at Omega are trying to get in touch and I have blocked them.

I have now removed the block just in case and will leave it unblocked until I get the call.
    I got a call from a mobile number, so I had no idea it was Omega.
    It seems they're trying out varying methods - I've heard of all of the following so far:
    Landline call from Omega
    Email from Omega
    Mobile from Omega
    No Omega call at all, Boutique called to inform it was ready to collect

Craftsman
    Lol! Our friend "Swifty123" didn't get a single bid for his auto/quartz/whatever ST. Ebay auction ended last night and nobody brave enough to start the ball rolling at the minimum bid level of £6.5k..............

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Lol! Our friend "Swifty123" didn't get a single bid for his auto/quartz/whatever ST. Ebay auction ended last night and nobody brave enough to start the ball rolling at the minimum bid level of £6.5k..............
    It wasn't him that made the blunder
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spee...3D253016434762

Though it's getting hard to keep track of them all on ebay watchfinder etc! I think the guy with the buy now one for £7,495 is pushing his luck a bit!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    It wasn't him that made the blunder
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spee...3D253016434762

Though it's getting hard to keep track of them all on ebay watchfinder etc! I think the guy with the buy now one for £7,495 is pushing his luck a bit!
    Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. Anyway, I found no takers/interest at £6.5k interesting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. Anyway, I found no takers/interest at £6.5k interesting.
    Maybe, it still had a few days left at Auction though which seems strange. I wouldn't be surprised if someone messaged him direct for a quick sale...

Craftsman
    There are conflicting reports of the numbers of people on Omega's reserve list ranging from 4,000 to 7,500. Where these figures come from I have no idea, but given the uncertainty of the US market (many missing out) we can only speculate on the demand. 2,000 is not a lot as Snoopy proved.

To give you context, image if only 2,000 Daytonas or SD43s were issued.
    How can they have 4 to 7k on reserve list if this model is limited to 2012 pieces (since this is the year when ST launched)? Are people suggesting Omega is going to stitch up every other/third person who put their name on one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    How can they have 4 to 7k on reserve list if this model is limited to 2012 pieces (since this is the year when ST launched)? Are people suggesting Omega is going to stitch up every other/third person who put their name on one?
    There's a list of people assigned a watch, and a list of 4-7000 who missed out, and are on reserve in case any of the original assignees drop out.

Absolutely no idea and I don't know where people get their information from. I would have thought 1,000 people on a reserve list was more than enough, then close it. I don't see many going to the reserve list, surely people would buy and then sell immediately rather than pass on the opportunity. There may be the odd person who is skint when they get the call, but they have had plenty of time to sort out some cheap finance.

Craftsman
    No, he meant the waiting list you go on if you never managed to reserve 1 of the 2012.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    No, he meant the waiting list you go on if you never managed to reserve 1 of the 2012.
    Aye this makes sense. I wonder how many from reserve list will drop out - I presume not many since the flippability factor seems high on this one.

Master
    Blog Entries

First Impressions

So I got the call today from the AD that mine finally arrived and picked it up this afternoon:

There's plenty of pictures around of it and I don't have the setup to really do it justice so I'll post those last - I think probably people might be more interested in my impressions:

The packaging:

Outer box is sturdy and has is premium in feel - the inner sleeve not quite as well worked out, but adequate to house the watch roll and manuals/documents
    Traditional thick Omega operating instructions book in various languages
    Strap changing instruction sheet detailing how to swap between NATO and leather strap - owners of the Moonwatch won't be too unfamiliar with this as it has a similar one.
    Glossy booklet with a potted history of Fratello/Speedy Tuesday which also doubles as certificate of authenticity with the LE number stamped on the back cover

Watch Roll:
    This was pleasantly surprising - though they might be accused of being a little economical with the overall package, the roll is definitely premium quality leather and is backed with a rubberised type material. There's a the Omega Seahorse/Hippocampus embossed on the flap. The instruction sheet mentioned above suggests using it to lay the watch on during strap changing and I see no reason why you wouldn't do so as it provides plenty of protection and cushioning.

Accessories:
    Again none of these will be too surprising to anyone who has owned Omega watches. The changing tool and cleaning cloth are good quality items.

NATO strap:
    Though I'm not a NATO fan and the colour scheme of this one is defintiely not my cup of tea, the NATO strap and hardware is fantastic quality. If it's your thing you won't be disappointed.
    "Vintage" strap:
    Very nice quality, though possibly not the shade of brown I'd prefer personally - I wear a Heuerville on my Moonwatch in a darker shade. I'd have also like to have seen a more distressed vintage look, but maybe I'm being churlish - it's a good quality item and with a bit of wear should age nicely without wearing out too quickly.

The Watch:

I'll focus mainly on the differences between this and the standard Moonwatch

Build quality is well up there to Omega standards and although not immediately apparent, the fully brushed surfaces do make a difference in how it wears. Comparison with a standard Moonwatch highlights this but if it's your first/only Moonwatch you may not notice. Given that polished surfaces tend to dull over time I'd suspect it'll stay looking good for slightly longer.

Much has been said about the radial subdials. Many suspected they were silver but in my view it';s more of a pearlescent white effect. I think this is probably down to the fact that they're lumed - it's obviously not the simple paint that is used for the indices, it's a completely different effect and very pleasant in my view.

The brushed main/chrono hands are well done and legibility is good in a variety of lights/angles. This was one thing I was concerned about as a common complaint about the Mitsukoshi panda version with steel hands was lack of readiblity against the white dial at certain angles/light. No issues in this case in my view and the black on white helps a lot with this, though being objective the simple black and white scheme of the original is almost impossible to beat and is of course definitely more legible at a glance.

There is a little optical illusion I've noticed comparing with the orginal Moonwatch - the ST looks bigger in some lights, as the polished surfaces on the original disappear in some lights, whereas the brushed ones stand out - I'll try to capture it in my photos. I assure you they're the same size!

In the picture above you can see the polished surfaces "disappearing" on the original - the phot is an angle so the surface on the right is out of sight

Overall a great package - I don't think anyone will be disappointed. I think I'm going to hold off wearing it until the "Snoopy" strap I've ordered arrives though - unless I find a strap in my box to suit.

Edit: A couple of people have asked about the logos - the applied logo is VERY nice. My eyesight isn't great but if I get my reading glasses out the difference between that and the printed one is obvious. I like the older style omegha symbol on the crown too. They're both details that maybe a non-WIS wouldn't notice, but they do make a difference.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 30th June 2017 at 17:52.

Thanks for that, very informative. Out of interest is there an issue of clarity when the minute hand is over the white Sub dials, I saw someone on the OF having a moan about that.

Well done on being the first on the forum.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest is there an issue of clarity when the minute hand is over the white Sub dials, I saw someone on the OF having a moan about that.
    As mentioned in my post, I think that's a side effect of using steel over white and obviously any alternative of black or white would have similar issues.

Maybe at a very fast glance in the worst possible light you'd have to pause a second to read, but I think the brushed hands work - I tried to make the hand disappear over subdials by trying to get a really bad reflection angle and couldn't do that. In the twilight now, the lume is starting to show up and actually makes legibility over the subdials better.

Craftsman
    Great review Scepticalist! Though it just makes me more impatient to get mine!!!

Side by side I prefer the original, but Omega hasn't done a bad job on this LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    There is a little optical illusion I've noticed comparing with the orginal Moonwatch - the ST looks bigger

A few days ago I noticed that in photos of it on its own it had a bigger look. I think one reason is that by giving the subdials a different colour, it makes you realise that they're a bit closer together than you normally perceive. This concentration of light colour in the centre then seems to push the rest of the dial away from it - the separation into a light area and a dark area seems to create an impression of greater overall size.

Thanks for the write up. Great to see some thought put in to it and letting others waiting (like me) know there's something to look forward to ;)