closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches you'd like if it weren't for one detail

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    So regarding watches I'd like except for a single detail, the Sea-Dweller is the one. It's excellent in any version, but that boring little date window looks a bit stranded inboard without the magnification to make it fill out the space on the dial properly. While that doesn't entirely stop me from wearing mine, I can't help thinking that Rolex should have either done the date right or not done it at all.
    Agree. I would love a ND SeaDweller.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I was about to buy a Helson Sharkdiver, when I noticed that the date window is not centered between the markers.

I might still do it, but it's certainly bothering me
    I have the same on a Archimede Pilot. I know it's so it's lined up with 4:30, but I'd prefer it to be 2/3 degrees difference and not trimming the top of the 5.

Master
    IWC 40mm 3239 - the oversized crown guards, which blend in with the case / bezel from head on creating a 44mm mis-sharpen lump of steel. Certain GS have the same issue due to the polishing, while it's not an issue on sports Rolex.

Journeyman
    This not being a 3, 6, 9 dial. Would've nicely filled the hole left by the Explorer's recent swelling:

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    The Seiko SARB017 Alpinist inner bezel and all compass bezels.

Tachymetre bezels, fuel flight calculators, 24 hour sub dials, retrograde dates, sub dials that eat the numerals, most other sub dials, tiny crowns, silly prices.

All of which have stopped me buying particular watches but I can't be bothered listing all the watches.
    Interesting, I'm currently torn between an SUN025 (which I fear will be too large for my wrists) and an SARB017. A GMT would be useful as I travel with work, but then I have an iphone (sorry, just facing facts!). I had thought of using the compass bezel as a sort of substitute for a GMT hand.

Banned
    I found that the bezel turns too easily on the Alpinist (had it twice but couldn't get past the bezel). Good excuse to buy a dedicated GMT watch though! Ever considered a world time watch, maybe a Citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Interesting, I'm currently torn between an SUN025 (which I fear will be too large for my wrists) and an SARB017. A GMT would be useful as I travel with work, but then I have an iphone (sorry, just facing facts!). I had thought of using the compass bezel as a sort of substitute for a GMT hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Anything with exposed screw heads in the bezel. That upsets me particularly if they are all pointing in different directions
    Subtle…real subtle!

Thought of another one
    The WR on a Speedy Pro.
    It would be Sooooooo easy for Omega to make the Speedy Pro 100m WR, then I would buy one.
    It is the only Lemania-powered icon I have no plans to own, for that reason (well, if I am honest it is also because everyone thinks I should own one, and I am contrary like that).
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    I totally agree. They have a version of the Spring Drive movement with the power reserve on the back. They should use that on all their Spring Drive models.
    So every Spring Drive should be made as manual wind only?
    I suspect your idea needs further contemplation and refinement.

I found that the bezel turns too easily on the Alpinist (had it twice but couldn't get past the bezel). Good excuse to buy a dedicated GMT watch though! Ever considered a world time watch, maybe a Citizen?
    Been there! It was too fiddly and fragile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Was it anything like this?

The crown isn't screw down and the folding part of the bracelet isn't the solid type but other than that I thought it was very solid.

Edit: Sorry I just remembered it's a second time zone you want to track and not completely change to a different time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Been there! It was too fiddly and fragile...

People that do not like Roman numerals. Why? I like them.

Power reserves. I don't like them. Because I think they take up dial space for no good reason.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sammyl1000; 10th January 2017 at 19:57.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The bloated lugs on the current super cased Rolex sports watches stops me from owning one. They are so wide they actually make the bracelets look weedy and feminine. Once you notice it, it's impossible not to be reminded of it every time you look at it.
    I couldn't agree more, and I owned a BLNR for a year before it struck me (when trying on an older 5 digit reference Explorer ii) - it was the death of the whole range for me!

Master
    SEIKO ... written 3 times, in 2 fonts and as an initial letter

SPRING DRIVE
    ... a foolish term, because almost all mechanical watches are driven by a spring ... here in another font, sans serif

GMT
    ... with serif

And, finally, another font for the writing around the 6 index

What a mess!

No Date on the cosmograph! Got to have a date for me.....

Master
    Watches with MASSIVE crown guards are a turn-off. They may, on occasion, be functional but just not for me.

I also agree with all those below who dislike power meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

SPRING DRIVE
    ... a foolish term, because almost all mechanical watches are driven by a spring ... here in another font, sans serif

GMT
    ... with serif

What a mess!
    I agree most seiko's with serifed fonts look kak just because of that otherwise they'd be nice watches - times new roman belongs elsewhere!

Craftsman
    Roman Numerals
    Overly fussy dials
    My wrist size

Unfortunately for me a lot of modern watches, that I like, swamp my small wrists. I'd love a Seiko Tuna, but 6.2 says no.

Having said that I can look at a lot of vintage pieces without worry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SPRING DRIVE

GMT
    ... with serif

What a mess!

Agree with all your points Tink, some shocking design there.

Add in of course that awful scar-like power reserve dial.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    That is so close to being a lovely watch, but it really is a mess of too many different fonts.

To me, that seems like one of the better examples of typographic competency out there, and it has some obvious attention to detail. Breguet even went to the trouble of matching the date wheel to the dial, which very few bother to do any more.

It's far from being a mess compared to most chronographs of this style. While there's some (desirable, IMHO) variation in the elements, they integrate well, and it's leagues better than the lazy Windows-default crap that's too often seen from companies that really ought to know better.

Speaking of which, here's what a true mess of a dial looks like:

:)

Master
    Cant stand Faux patina. If they removed it alot more watches would make the short list. Like the JLC Deepsea boutique edition, Tag Heuer Monza PVD, LH Pelagos with Beige markers.

......all compass bezels.
    How did it take until post 48?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Too many for me to list as I have an ever expanding list of things that can ruin any watch for me.

Top 3 are:
    Mercedes hands
    Onion crowns
    Making a feature of the day in any way (Cyclops, contrast colour etc)
    Mercedes-Benz hands for me to.
    Oyster bracelets or whatever there called.
    Even though I am forgoing it on a few watches. Of course always around on a Rolex though.

Also bezel watch surrounds the look like a spring has been wrapped around it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ coin edged bezels (the spring looking ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

To me, that seems like one of the better examples of typographic competency out there, and it has some obvious attention to detail. Breguet even went to the trouble of matching the date wheel to the dial, which very few bother to do any more.

It's far from being a mess compared to most chronographs of this style. While there's some (desirable, IMHO) variation in the elements, they integrate well, and it's leagues better than the lazy Windows-default crap that's too often seen from companies that really ought to know better.

Speaking of which, here's what a true mess of a dial looks like:

:)
    Actually, I've come round to your way of thinking in the past couple of days. It almost should be a mess, but it manages not to be.

As for the Patak, I've never noticed the reduced size of the 5 and 27 before. Probably related to never holding one, but I do think that would annoy me every time I looked at it.

Master

SPRING DRIVE

GMT
    ... with serif

What a mess!

Well yes, Seiko are clearly utterly incompetent. That's why no-one buys their watches. They need some designer with your skills and then they might sell a few.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well yes, Seiko are clearly utterly incompetent. That's why no-one buys their watches. They need some designer with your skills and then they might sell a few.
    Uhoh. Overly defensive owner alert.

I have returned two brand new Rolexes to ADs because there were obvious differences in the widths of the lugs - visible to the naked eye and measurable with a digital caliper. A lot of others I have seen in ADs have the same problem - it is particularly noticeable on the 36mm DateJusts and OPs. The cause is apparently the hand finishing - but for Ł4000 plus I find this unacceptable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Right hand lugs are usually thinner on Rolex / some tudors. It's just the case shape.
    Top right can occasionally make a person very twitchy indeed ;)
    Don't know about the ceramic or supercase sizes but it's certainty true of the older models.

Anyway. Came to add Roman and Arabic numerals.

PCLs on so many of Rolex's current range are a massive turn off to me.

Most Nomos watches have one feature that puts me off - the thin lugs and wire lugs on some really bother me.

The polished section on the Grand Seiko bracelets is annoying. I have a speedmaster with a similar bracelet and I really don't like it.

Master
    I've thought of another one. The A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down. A beautiful watch, except for the unnecessary GANGRESERVE text. It destroys the symmetry of the otherwise perfectly proportioned dial, and once you see it, it can't be unseen. In short, it's a monstrous carbuncle on the face of an elegant friend.

This week I have been wearing my 16700 GMT Master and I do find the crown rather small.

I'd prefer it if it had the same sized crown as the Sub but I'd guess the smaller case and gap between the GMT's crown guards would make that impossible.
    Last edited by Shakespeare; 12th January 2017 at 00:18.

I dont understand the dislike for Roman numerals. Why do people hate them so much?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Snowflake hands

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Right hand lugs are usually thinner on Rolex / some tudors. It's just the case shape.
    Top right can occasionally make a person very twitchy indeed ;)
    Don't know about the ceramic or supercase sizes but it's certainty true of the older models.

Anyway. Came to add Roman and Arabic numerals.
    I understand the right hand lugs were both equally thinner on the old models to balance the crown aesthetically, but on brand new models a lot of watches I have seen have one random lug or often the top left and bottom right lug much thinner than the others.

The subject of the thread has flipped over from watches that you almost like but for one detail, to the usual list of betes noires.

Now it has been pointed out, I can't warm to the SMPc due to the painted index marker next to the date, when the others are all applied.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I understand the right hand lugs were both equally thinner on the old models to balance the crown aesthetically, but on brand new models a lot of watches I have seen have one random lug or often the top left and bottom right lug much thinner than the others.
    Did this occur on any other Rolex models?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Please remember the title of this thread: "Watches you'd like if it weren't for one detail."

I admire Seiko watches and I'd love to have an automatic (but not 'Spring Drive') Grand Seiko. Sadly for me, however, the hotch-potch on the dial stops me.

(I suspect that Japanese designers would do a much better job in Japanese.)

In contrast to the Grand Seiko above, the script on my old BELL-MATIC is quite elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Did this occur on any other Rolex models?
    SubC Date fractionally different but again visible to my eye.

Taking a dislike for the text on a modern Grand Seiko doesn't imply a sweeping disdain for Seiko if what you really want to see is something like this:

Craftsman
    Tudor Heritage Chrono, who decided to do pushers that have to be unscrewed? I love the watch but that detail is just poor and is the one thing that has stopped my buying one :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Taking a dislike for the text on a modern Grand Seiko doesn't imply a sweeping disdain for Seiko if what you really want to see is something like this:

Elegant, too.

Sinn 556 - 'Automatik' in German, and 'Made in Germany' in English.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Sinn 556 - 'Automatik' in German, and 'Made in Germany' in English.
    That's a common sin committed by Sinn
    The U1 is the same

Quote Originally Posted by ellomoto View Post
    Tudor Heritage Chrono, who decided to do pushers that have to be unscrewed? I love the watch but that detail is just poor and is the one thing that has stopped my buying one :(
    I find this to be a huge usability fail. But I still like my Arktis :)

Outside AR-coating.

Tudor dive watches
    if they were 1-2mm smaller diameter and thin enough to fit under a cuff then i would probably be wearing one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    I have the same on a Archimede Pilot. I know it's so it's lined up with 4:30, but I'd prefer it to be 2/3 degrees difference and not trimming the top of the 5.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by '..it's so it's lined up with 4:30', but I thought the reason why the window doesn't fall exactly between the 4 and 5, is that the date wheel is slightly too small for the case it's fitted in.

It's one of my pet hates and you see it a lot on budget boutique divers.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That's a common sin committed by Sinn
    The U1 is the same

German-manufactured products have been marked "Made in Germany" since 1887, even the domestic-market-only ones. There's no "Hergestellt in Deutschland" label.