closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee Gurus! Best Nespresso machine?

After posting yesterday I bought one of the Magimix Inissia with Aeroccino bundles from John Lewis for £69.99. I collected it earlier and am impressed with it so far. I've also registered for the £75 credit.

We had a Krups Citiz with Milk for 4 years. I also have a Krups Essenza I bought later for £49.99 on an Amazon Lightning deal with £75 Nespresso credit for use at work. When I started working from home, I put the Essenza away. Unfortunately the Citiz started leaking and was out of warranty so I switched to the Essenza. It's a great little machine but can't take large mugs and glasses so was inconvenient for my wife who is the main user (I have a Sage Duo espresso machine). Seeing the offer yesterday and how the Inissia supports large glasses pushed me to order it, especially as we were going to spend £75 on coffee anyway so the machine is essentially free (man maths at its best).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    After posting yesterday I bought one of the Magimix Inissia with Aeroccino bundles from John Lewis for £69.99. I collected it earlier and am impressed with it so far. I've also registered for the £75 credit.
    My wife bought me one of these for my birthday after me whinging about not having a Nespresso following the demise of our ageing Krups machine and her foray into other formats that I didn't like. I'm very pleased with it indeed - my only criticism being the reservoir is a bit small, albeit this is a consequence of its compact size which in itself is a benefit.

Master
    I've got the Magimix Innisia which works well. Would prefer a 'real' machine but can't be bothered cleaning and disposing of the dregs or clogging up the sink.
    Also found the milk frother doesn't like Waitrose milk which for some reason won't froth!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I've got the Magimix Innisia which works well. Would prefer a 'real' machine but can't be bothered cleaning and disposing of the dregs or clogging up the sink.
    Also found the milk frother doesn't like Waitrose milk which for some reason won't froth!
    Frothing in an Aeroccino depends on fat quantity and milk temperature. I also find that the closer milk is to its use by date, the poorer it froths.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Saying "I'm a real coffee head" and deciding on Capsules is like saying "I'm a real petrol head" and buying a Hyundai i30*

It will get the job done, and for a solid 80% of people is all they'll ever need, but I'm glad other choices exist.

To each their own, no right or wrong answers in life :)

* I can say that, the wife has one. Perfectly serviceable, no mess, no fuss but not for the enthusiast.

[tongue-in-cheek]

I can see what you're saying, but I reckon ...

Around 80% of people are more than happy with a jar of instant coffee, a Hyundai i30, and reading the time on their phone.

The vast majority of the remaining 20% are happy with a pod system and a BMW / Audi / Merc, getting the time from an Omega or Rolex.

A tiny percentage are really into coffee and treat it as a serious hobby, they don't drive as too busy trimming their beards and wondering which sandals to wear over their socks

[/tongue-in-cheek]

David, please don't take this the wrong way but as well as being a man of taste I get the impression from your posts that you find the whole retail therapy experience addictive. If you get the "latest gadget" coffee machine, how long before you're looking for the next one? You could always sidestep the whole "latest gadget" thing and make a design icon for life purchase, i.e. a La Pavoni Europiccola. As quirky but also ultimately as beautiful and satisfying as an AGA or a Dualit toaster or a Land Rover Defender. Get a second hand one, admire it on your countertop and live happily ever after, job done.

Invest in a decent grinder. It's the only gadget domestic coffee making requires. I bought this year's ago it's perfect http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-...-mc2-auto.html

Find a Supermarket brand of beans you like, for me it's Lavazza Rossa which is very different to the pre ground stuff.

Retrieve your Bialetti mokka pot from the back of a cupboard.

It cost me a fortune to distill the process down to those essentials. It's all you need.

PS: The key the domestic coffee enjoyment in making it part of your routine. You should be able to shower and shave in the time it takes the Bialetti to do its thing.
    Last edited by raysablade; 11th January 2017 at 19:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Saying "I'm a real coffee head" and deciding on Capsules is like saying "I'm a real petrol head" and buying a Hyundai i30*

It will get the job done, and for a solid 80% of people is all they'll ever need, but I'm glad other choices exist.

To each their own, no right or wrong answers in life :)

* I can say that, the wife has one. Perfectly serviceable, no mess, no fuss but not for the enthusiast.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post

A tiny percentage are really into coffee and treat it as a serious hobby, they don't drive as too busy trimming their beards and wondering which sandals to wear over their socks

[/tongue-in-cheek]
    Maybe so, but they're drinking vastly better and more interesting coffee brewed in an aeropress (costs £25) made from fresh, good quality beans.

Master
    Love my nespresso machines I think there great, I've got a delonghi lattisima at home and its quick , clean and great to use as welll as having a inissia at work with the separate frother which is good also but is more messy as the frothier is a seperate unit and requires two sockets and more maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Maybe so, but they're drinking vastly better and more interesting coffee brewed in an aeropress (costs £25) made from fresh, good quality beans.

I have a Nespresso machine and an Aeropress ... for convenience and ease of cleaning you can't beat the Nespresso and that now does 95% of my coffees.

For the chance to try different coffees and have a fresher product then to be honest I'll be swapping from the Aeropress to the refillable Nespresso pods I gave a link too earlier in the thread - best of both worlds.

The Aeropress only really comes into it's own in terms of the volume it can make it can make in one go.

Get a Bialetti Coffee maker. My mate bought this really fancy German coffee machine which cost him about £300, invites me round to show it off. Took 10 mins of faffing about making a brew and to be honest wasn't that good and certainly not as good as my Bialetti Venus (which is made for an induction hob).
    I use Aldi Colombian or Kenyan ground and it's excellent. Takes me just over 2 minutes to make 2 mugfuls to go with our morning porridge!

Craftsman
    Here...

https://colonnacoffee.com/collection...apsule-machine

and the coffee pods are superb.....

V

Master
    Has no one suggested using ese pods with a generic porta-filter type coffee machine?

My personal trial with ese was a) cheaper b) better coffee than Nespresso. I hasten to add this was a QUICK trial and after the trial I went right back to using proper ground coffee on my Classic ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I just bought a delinghi bean to cup machine for £399 from Costco. Buy my beans there too for ~£9 a kilo.
    Over time I'm sure it will pay for itself compared to the 20-30p a time pods.
    The delonghi has a great integrated milk frother and a menu system for cappucinos, lattes flat whites etc (all of which can be customised to meet your preferred tastes for coffee strength, volume of coffee & milk

I can never make the sums work as at 9gr coffee per cup and coffee is about 25.00 per kg that is 22.5 p per cup. I see at 9.00 per kg is cheaper @ 8-9p per cup though, is still 1000-1500 coffees minimum to break even so a year or two ?

Certainly if you spent 1000 on the machine and 25.00 per kg on coffee it would never really work out - although of course you have a wider choice of beans.

Craftsman
    I have a Nespresso machine and an Aeropress ... for convenience and ease of cleaning you can't beat the Nespresso and that now does 95% of my coffees.

For the chance to try different coffees and have a fresher product then to be honest I'll be swapping from the Aeropress to the refillable Nespresso pods I gave a link too earlier in the thread - best of both worlds.

The Aeropress only really comes into it's own in terms of the volume it can make it can make in one go.
    Are you sure you're using your aeropress right???

Of course comparing espresso with brewed coffee is like comparing apples and pears. But if you're after flavour and freshness, and you prefer Nespresso, then are you perhaps using poor quality or stale beans or haven't quite got the grind/quantities/time right?

Benefits of a brewed coffee:
    - choice and variety of beans
    - ensure freshness of beans
    - control the grind, which affects flavour
    - a world of flavours out there depending on beans and brew method
    - cheap and easy, no maintenance

I have a Pixie (by Magimix) and the Aerocino and for me it is perfect - takes up minimal space on the counter top and allows us to make short or long coffee. Not heavy users though, 1 per day for me, so it only gets heavier use if guests are over.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I can never make the sums work as at 9gr coffee per cup and coffee is about 25.00 per kg that is 22.5 p per cup. I see at 9.00 per kg is cheaper @ 8-9p per cup though, is still 1000-1500 coffees minimum to break even so a year or two ?

Certainly if you spent 1000 on the machine and 25.00 per kg on coffee it would never really work out - although of course you have a wider choice of beans.
    The machine keeps a record of how many coffees it's made and in just under 4 weeks we've made 168 cups, so looking at making just over 2000 coffees/yr. Conservatively saving 15p a cup equates to £300 of the £400 purchase price. Clearly this is based on £9/kg of lavazza rossa beans and accept you can easily pay £30+/kg!

The offer also included a free service after a year for the machine.

Now would I make as many coffees if I was using 25p pods??? Different argument!

Are you sure you're using your aeropress right???
    Yes.

Of course comparing espresso with brewed coffee is like comparing apples and pears. But if you're after flavour and freshness, and you prefer Nespresso, then are you perhaps using poor quality or stale beans or haven't quite got the grind/quantities/time right?

Benefits of a brewed coffee:
    - choice and variety of beans
    - ensure freshness of beans
    - control the grind, which affects flavour
    - a world of flavours out there depending on beans and brew method
    - cheap and easy, no maintenance

I didn't dispute that the Aeropress makes great coffee, it was all about convenience - look at it this way ...

Aeropress
    Grind coffee
    Put filter paper in Aeropress
    Put coffee in Aeropress
    Boil kettle then wait for it to cool a little
    Fill water into Aeropress and leave to brew inverted
    Flip over into cup and plunge the water through
    Take Aeropress apart and knock grounds into food recycling bin
    Wash out Aeropress then sit down and drink coffee

Nespresso
    Put pod in machine
    Press button and 20 seconds later sit down and drink coffee
    Every now and again empty pod holder into recycling bin

Which do you think is the most convenient?

For the vast majority of the time when I want a coffee I'm more than happy with my favourite flavours from Nespresso (lungo rather than espresso mind) because I'm grabbing a quick coffee between conference calls when working from home etc.

Fancy trying a different coffee - by it, grind it, stick it in a re-usable Nespresso pod or run it through the Aeropress depending on how much time I have.
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 12th January 2017 at 19:54.

Craftsman
    I agree with you Mr Stoat. Nespresso has convenience on its side.

Craftsman
    I'm thinking about getting one of these.

https://ninjakitchen.eu/uk/product/n...arafe-cf060uk/

If it's as good with coffee as their blenders are then it'll be great value at £99.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

If the aim is simply to get the cheapest cup of brown liquid you can then I see your argument and maybe 'no frills' floor scrapings from Asda would do even better. If the aim is to try and get a really good cup of coffee then it's a different thing.

Master
    Yes.

I didn't dispute that the Aeropress makes great coffee, it was all about convenience - look at it this way ...

Aeropress
    Grind coffee
    Put filter paper in Aeropress
    Put coffee in Aeropress
    Fill water into Aeropress and leave to brew inverted
    Flip over into cup and plunge the water through
    Take Aeropress apart and knock grounds into food recycling bin
    Wash out Aeropress then sit down and drink coffee

Nespresso
    Put pod in machine
    Press button and 20 seconds later sit down and drink coffee
    Every now and again empty pod holder into recycling bin

Which do you think is the most convenient?

For the vast majority of the time when I want a coffee I'm more than happy with my favourite flavours from Nespresso (lungo rather than espresso mind) because I'm grabbing a quick coffee between conference calls when working from home etc.

Fancy trying a different coffee - by it, grind it, stick it in a re-usable Nespresso pod or run it through the Aeropress depending on how much time I have.
    Actually, if speaking of convenience, then Aeropress is right down the scale. Using a 'proper' machine is far quicker. Takes me a minute from bean to espresso... 15 seconds grind. 10 seconds tamp. 20 seconds shot and the rest of the minute to bang for portafilter into the bin and rinse it out. I have a Classic and grinder at work. A work colleague has an Aeropress. In the time it takes him to make his coffee I've made mine, drunk mine, had a quick chat and back at my desk and he's still washing the darn thing out!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Actually, if speaking of convenience, then Aeropress is right down the scale. Using a 'proper' machine is far quicker. Takes me a minute from bean to espresso... 15 seconds grind. 10 seconds tamp. 20 seconds shot and the rest of the minute to bang for portafilter into the bin and rinse it out. I have a Classic and grinder at work. A work colleague has an Aeropress. In the time it takes him to make his coffee I've made mine, drunk mine, had a quick chat and back at my desk and he's still washing the darn thing out!
    Exactly, whilst I like the coffee I get out of the Aeropress it is a bit of a faff, hence why I use the Nespresso to "grab" a coffee and save the Aeropress for a "Sunday morning" coffee when I can spend the time - but you can't beat the Aeropress in terms of price and storage size.

But like a lot of things in life it's a balancing act between convenience, price, quality, and the end product it produces.

Exactly, whilst I like the coffee I get out of the Aeropress it is a bit of a faff, hence why I use the Nespresso to "grab" a coffee and save the Aeropress for a "Sunday morning" coffee when I can spend the time - but you can't beat the Aeropress in terms of price and storage size.

But like a lot of things in life it's a balancing act between convenience, price, quality, and the end product it produces.
    Yep - I could fit a bean to cup in my office no problem - I simply cannot be bothered - the nespresso is the perfect solution for me.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Invest in a decent grinder. It's the only gadget domestic coffee making requires. I bought this year's ago it's perfect http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-...-mc2-auto.html

Find a Supermarket brand of beans you like, for me it's Lavazza Rossa which is very different to the pre ground stuff.

Retrieve your Bialetti mokka pot from the back of a cupboard.

It cost me a fortune to distill the process down to those essentials. It's all you need.

PS: The key the domestic coffee enjoyment in making it part of your routine. You should be able to shower and shave in the time it takes the Bialetti to do its thing.
    This. Plus a Gaggia Classic on a timer plug for the morning and a £15 'knockout box' to capture the waste.

Journeyman
    I have a lattisima +. got it on a price match offer from Currys before xmas. Argos were doing it for £139.99.

Cant fault it. great coffee, easy to use. minimal maintenance.

Grand Master
    Amazon is pretty much sold out of all the machines under 100 quid due to the £75 voucher deal, i could have done with getting a new machine as well!

Unless you live in an area where you need to boil water to make it safe to drink, you don't need to let the kettle boil - stop it when the water is "hot enough". On my kettle, the sound changes a short while before it boils, and that's a good Aeropress temperature for me

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Unless you live in an area where you need to boil water to make it safe to drink, you don't need to let the kettle boil - stop it when the water is "hot enough". On my kettle, the sound changes a short while before it boils, and that's a good Aeropress temperature for me
    Or have a kettle that can heat to 85 / 90 / 95 / 100 degrees. I find 90 degrees works best for most brews.

Craftsman
    Bought one of these in black from Costco today for £144 inc VAT. Just tried it and ten times better than the Tassimo I used to have.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househo...FQWB7QodyEEGFg
    Last edited by GMC41; 17th January 2017 at 00:11.

I agree with everyone suggesting ground coffee made in a cafetière, filter machine, filter cup thingy, Aeropress or perhaps stovetop

You get the highest bang for buck with those options

Warm your milk in a metal pan on your stove. Tastes infinitely better.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have had a gaggia bean to cup and a rancilio silvia with rocky grinder in the past. Simple coffee trumps these two

You could spend thousands on a better machine and grinder but the faff involved with all that will not result in a vastly superior coffee. It'll be better. But not vastly better
    Last edited by Snowdon; 17th January 2017 at 07:29.

Also had a neapresso which I did not get along with. The coffee is consistently poor to mediocre.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Also had a nespresso which I did not get along with. The coffee is consistently poor to mediocre.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Get an Aeropress and save your money for the coffee!
    What he said !!

Hello

Off to the Algerian Coffee store tomorrow. All you need and an Aeropress!