closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRS-5

Ewan and I discussed this when it was still a concept and I'm glad that it's gone ahead, I look forward to seeing the results.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Ewan and I discussed this when it was still a concept and I'm glad that it's gone ahead, I look forward to seeing the results.

Eddie
    Good to know... I do think there will be a demand for it, when it gets released!
    Just like the PRS5 is currently sought after!

benwoodroffe
    The one on eBay just went for £294, the seller was honest enough to admit a quirk with the movement so good on him. Not bad though.

I will look forward to seeing how the Newmark project develops also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    The one on eBay just went for £294, the seller was honest enough to admit a quirk with the movement so good on him. Not bad though.

Not much of a bargain if the movement's poked ....

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Not much of a bargain if the movement's poked ....
    No I wouldn't call a bargain at all. By "not bad" I meant the seller did well to get the price he did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop View Post
    Love my modified one.

Cheers!
    Brane
    What a difference the correct handset makes, no offence to Eddies choice of using syringe hands but they didn't quite work with the PRS-5 for my taste.

I'm also following the Newmark project with interest.

Banned
    I like the syringe hands better. Reminds me of Sinn.

Eddie, may I ask whether a Poljot-movement version might work?
    Thanks for the clarification on the Seagull movement issue, but I also see (from a sales post I think?) that you previously also used the Poljot movement.
    My basic searches indicate that the Maktime factory may have closed, but new 3133 chronos seem to be readily available, so I can only assume someone else has taken over production.
    Perhaps I am wrong
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on the Seagull movement issue, but I also see (from a sales post I think?) that you previously also used the Poljot movement.
    My basic searches indicate that the Maktime factory may have closed, but new 3133 chronos seem to be readily available, so I can only assume someone else has taken over production.
    Perhaps I am wrong
    Dave
    The last Poljot movements we got were supposed to have been "premium grade specially selected" because Felix Huber of Zeno knows the European MD of Poljot. They were so specially selected that we got 80 working movements out of a batch of 100.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    The last Poljot movements we got were supposed to have been "premium grade specially selected" because Felix Huber of Zeno knows the European MD of Poljot. They were so specially selected that we got 80 working movements out of a batch of 100.

Eddie
    Specially selected & you got a 20% failure rate = That'd be a definite NO! Wouldn't it...!!
    Last edited by K.I.T.T.; 31st January 2017 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
    Specially selected & you got a 20% failure rate = That'd be a definite NO! Wouldn't it...!!
    I would imagine that a 20% failure rate is unacceptable by any realistic QA system.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I would imagine that a 20% failure rate is unacceptable by any realistic QA system.
    Yes.

Master
    neil at Chronomaster currently has a Broadarrow for £395

Thanks for the answer Eddie, what an atrocious failure rate.
    Seems like a re0birth is nay, nay and thrice nay....
    Dave

Love my modified one.

Cheers!
    Brane
    I owned a modified PRS-5 as well. It had NOS Precista 6BB 7733 hands substituted and was just a beauty.

Each to his own, but there's one of the original PRS5s that will be staying as intended....

F.T.F.A.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Each to his own, but there's one of the original PRS5s that will be staying as intended....

How come these say 'swiss made' on the dial?

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    How come these say 'swiss made' on the dial?
    Where do you think they're made?

There are clear regulations relating to the use of the words Swiss Made. You won't have any trouble finding them online.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Well that was unhelpful, I don't think they're just made in Switzerland - thats why I'm asking.

Given we have here a russian made movement and a sheffield owned company it's not just straight forward so if somebody could elaborate in a less retarded way that'd be much appreciated.
    What a nice person.

You have decided to make new friends on the internet?
    Good job!

As you've already been told one cannot print 'Swiss Made' on a dial without fulfilling the requirements. Google them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The Broadarrow PRS-5 was made by Zeno in Switzerland. More erudite members know this.

Eddie

The Broadarrow PRS-5 was made by Zeno in Switzerland. More erudite members know this.

Eddie
    Eddie,

Did Kemner make the Precista PRS-5?

Dave

Eddie,

Did Kemner make the Precista PRS-5?

Dave
    Yes.

Eddie

The one mentioned above is now listed on eBay with a staring bid of 430 pounds. Never mention the previous sellers problem. I wonder if he got it fixed? I am sure that is why it went so cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162393194969...84.m1436.l2649

From Previous sale:

I have just been testing the chronograph function, and winding of the watch, and the winding works fine and the time keeping appears to be good. However, I have noticed on a couple of times when starting the chronograph if I do a longer press it can make the chrono jump back a few seconds backwards so starts a little before 0. However if you do a short, quick press it appears to be fine. The reset of the chronograph works fine.
    When I listed the watch all functions tested fine, but I wanted to add todays finding for complete honesty.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding this may cause.
    So if any of the current bidders wish to pull out of the sale and retract the bids they have made, I will understand.
    From memory this was a known thing to occasionally happen on this movement in all watches it was used in, but I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nactex View Post
    The one mentioned above is now listed on eBay with a staring bid of 430 pounds. Never mention the previous sellers problem. I wonder if he got it fixed? I am sure that is why it went so cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162393194969...84.m1436.l2649

From Previous sale:

I have just been testing the chronograph function, and winding of the watch, and the winding works fine and the time keeping appears to be good. However, I have noticed on a couple of times when starting the chronograph if I do a longer press it can make the chrono jump back a few seconds backwards so starts a little before 0. However if you do a short, quick press it appears to be fine. The reset of the chronograph works fine.
    When I listed the watch all functions tested fine, but I wanted to add todays finding for complete honesty.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding this may cause.
    So if any of the current bidders wish to pull out of the sale and retract the bids they have made, I will understand.
    From memory this was a known thing to occasionally happen on this movement in all watches it was used in, but I am not sure.
    I hope for the sake of any prospective buyers, that the problem has been fixed.

Master
    Was thinking of bidding on that. Are they fixable by some of the people recommended on here eg Genesis? Were there any notable problems with the PRS5? I love the CWC reissue but not @£1700

Went for £460
    Last edited by mrushton; 19th February 2017 at 22:41.

Sold for £460 just now.

Master
    Anyone on here got it? I set the bar at £450. I didn't want to get into a bidding war on a watch that 'may' have a history.

I made a thread about the movement in this Watch.
    I wasn't bidding.

Craftsman
    A PRS-5 has just gone on e-bay with a starting point of £395 and a BIN £625. Stated as mint but the pictures are not great.

Eddie
    Eddie,

If the Newmark chronograph is a success and given that you are already using the Seiko mechaquartz movement in other watches, will the PRS-5 make a return with the Seiko mechaquartz movement?

Eddie,

If the Newmark chronograph is a success and given that you are already using the Seiko mechaquartz movement in other watches, will the PRS-5 make a return with the Seiko mechaquartz movement?
    I probably won't bother now that the Newmark is happening.

Eddie

Fair enough.

Craftsman
    I didn’t realise these are in such high demand.

Here’s my seldom worn but much loved one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Perhaps I am wrong
    Dave

Eddie

Just out of curiosity, and given your experience with the Seagull ST19 as already used for the Precista version of the PRS-5, if, hypothetically, you or perhaps Ewan were to preemptively replace BOTH the stock factory "too strong" mainspring AND the "too weak" barrel click spring with properly re-spec'ed counterparts before installing these in-house modified movements into a new Precista 5 or a mechanical version of Ewan's also very nice Newmark, would this then likely transform the heretofore controversial ST-19 into a good, reliable, reasonably accurate, sturdy, and durable mechanical column wheel equipped chronograph movement with good availability and relatively low cost even with the aforementioned in-house modifications factored in?

Or, as a hypothetical alternative to that, with your previous Broadarrow experience using the Poljot 3133 lever type chronograph movements that were apparently based on the Valjoux 7730 that, I believe, was used in the original circa 1970s MOD RN twin button chronos, and assuming the 3133s are still even manufactured and available, if you or Ewan were to somehow order each movement batch of 100 or so well logistically beforehand, inspect and test each individual movement for defects, etc., missed by the Russian factory quality control, and then return the up to circa 20% or so rejected defective movements found to Poljot for replacement until all 100 movements are of acceptable function and quality before loading these into their respective watch cases, would the Poljot 3133 movement so dealt with possibly then be a good and viable and cost effective option for a new production Precista PRS-5 or a mechanical version of the Newmark from Ewan?

After installing Kemmner's hands my PRS-5 became a favourite of mine:

These RAF-modifications seem to be rather scarce.

Cheers
    Brane

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I owned a modified PRS-5 as well. It had NOS Precista 6BB 7733 hands substituted and was just a beauty.

After installing Kemmner's hands my PRS-5 became a favourite of mine:

These RAF-modifications seem to be rather scarce.

Cheers
    Brane

The photograph (of your modified PRS-5?) you've linked in your post won't load up to view so won't be able to see it, but if yours looks like Myron's above, it looks great

A shot for the PRS-5 purists amongst us, the original, unmolested . . .

I have a short waiting list for this, should I ever wish to sell it.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A shot for the PRS-5 purists amongst us, the original, unmolested . . .

I have a short waiting list for this, should I ever wish to sell it.

These look great in "purely" original format too (I think it looks perfect on one of Eddie's TF Open-End Aviators), and perhaps the trimmer hypodermic style hour/minute hands don't interfere with viewing the chronograph registers and running subseconds quite so much

https://timefactors.com/precistaprs5.htm

Magirus, especially as my guess is that you've owned your Precista PRS-5 for years and have possibly had a chance to compare it to other mechanical chronograph movements you might also have had, could you please comment on your own experience with the Seagull ST19?

In fact, anybody here who could comment on their own use of either the Chinese Seagull ST19 Column Wheel Type or the Russian Poljot 3133 Lever Type Mechanical Chronograph Movements as used in the Precista and Broadarrow versions of the PRS-5 respectfully, and also in a number of other watches from diverse makers as well, I for one would certainly like and value knowing of it

Master
    When my Seagull PRS-5 went to Olivier recently to replace a pusher circlip he discovered both the pusher shafts were bent. It still works fine so we decided not to try to straighten them. Maybe a heavy handed previous owner but maybe it's an issue with the degree of force required by the movement vs. the thickness and material of the rods. Just speculating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    When my Seagull PRS-5 went to Olivier recently to replace a pusher circlip he discovered both the pusher shafts were bent. It still works fine so we decided not to try to straighten them. Maybe a heavy handed previous owner but maybe it's an issue with the degree of force required by the movement vs. the thickness and material of the rods. Just speculating.

Thanks for commenting to that. I wonder if the Seagull factory could have initially used roughly handled, or perhaps even roughly manufactured pusher shafts already bent or warped when they put the movement together? Whatever caused the condition you experienced, I wonder how common it is with the ST19?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    These look great in "purely" original format too (I think it looks perfect on one of Eddie's TF Open-End Aviators), and perhaps the trimmer hypodermic style hour/minute hands don't interfere with viewing the chronograph registers and running subseconds quite so much

https://timefactors.com/precistaprs5.htm

Magirus, especially as my guess is that you've owned your Precista PRS-5 for years and have possibly had a chance to compare it to other mechanical chronograph movements you might also have had, could you please comment on your own experience with the Seagull ST19?

In fact, anybody here who could comment on their own use of either the Chinese Seagull ST19 Column Wheel Type or the Russian Poljot 3133 Lever Type Mechanical Chronograph Movements as used in the Precista and Broadarrow versions of the PRS-5 respectfully, and also in a number of other watches from diverse makers as well, I for one would certainly like and value knowing of it

Apart from an issued Seiko chrono some years ago, I've only had/have 2 chronos, the PRS-5 and a Damasko DC56, quite different in style, movement and layout, so not really comparable. My Broadarrow version of the PRS-5 has the Poljot 3133 movement, pictured in the link in your post above, so I can't comment on the ST19 movement. I think the Broadarrow version was discontinued around 2005, so I've had it a while now. What I like about the hands is that along with the fine markers on the minute track the time can be set very precisely, with a little back pressure on the crown to hack the watch. For a bit of interest and fun I once measured the power reserve and it was a little under 68 hours, not all usable of course.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    Thanks for commenting to that. I wonder if the Seagull factory could have initially used roughly handled, or perhaps even roughly manufactured pusher shafts already bent or warped when they put the movement together? Whatever caused the condition you experienced, I wonder how common it is with the ST19?
    The pusher rods (stems?) are case parts not movement parts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    The pusher rods (stems?) are case parts not movement parts.
    Thanks for pointing that out because I had definitely assumed the pusher rods (stems/shafts) themselves were included with this chrono movement.
    Well, at least I knew the buttons weren't!!!

Does anyone know if the PRS-5 will ever be made again?
    No there won't I'm afraid. Chronograph movements are too expensive.
    I probably won't bother now that the Newmark is happening.

Eddie

The Newmark 6BB meca quartz is discontinued and the CWC 7733 is silly money.

Quartz would be fine!

Please 😊

Pretty please 🙏