closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-5

Hybrid View

There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie
    Fair enough Eddie. Is there a quartz movement that would be suitable?

Craftsman
    That is interesting. My Sea gull 1963 failed just after Christmas (only had it since May and rarely worn). Winding it up as normal and after the third wind, I felt something catastrophic and the winder felt weird. Looked at the watch face and the hands were bent! The hands moved when trying to wind. I guess the mainspring went and somehow coupled the crown in wind position to time adjust.
    I didn't realise this was a known issue. I sent it back to Thomas in Hong Kong so hopefully it will be repaired/replaced. A shame if it's likely to happen again. I really like the look and feel of that movement. And the watch is great too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    Fair enough Eddie. Is there a quartz movement that would be suitable?
    Quartz wouldn't be the same thing at all - pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Not pointless at all. It's good enough for for CWC.

Master
    I can only think of one quartz chronograph I could be bothered with and that's the JLC mecaquartz as used in various JLC and IWC models in the 1990s.

The vast majority of quartz chronographs just fail the desirability test.

I can only think of one quartz chronograph I could be bothered with and that's the JLC mecaquartz as used in various JLC and IWC models in the 1990s.

The vast majority of quartz chronographs just fail the desirability test.
    ETA 251.262 with centre minutes totaliser as used in the Precista PRS-17C and its Thermoline version, i.e. 251.232.

Master
    ETA 251.262 with centre minutes totaliser as used in the Precista PRS-17C and its Thermoline version, i.e. 251.232.
    Layout 100% wrong for this style of watch.

Ever wondered why you very rarely, if ever, see a PRS5 for sale? More so the original Broadarrow version with the Poljot 3133 movement?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Ever wondered why you very rarely, if ever, see a PRS5 for sale? More so the original Broadarrow version with the Poljot 3133 movement?

I know I'm gutted I sold mine but I also know I'd never in a million years buy a quartz version.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There's two up in Co. Durham I know of! NOT for sale. Cracking good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There's two up in Co. Durham I know of! NOT for sale. Cracking good watch.
    I have now got one of each: a Broadarrow and a Precista.

Craftsman
    A PRS-5 has just gone on e-bay with a starting point of £395 and a BIN £625. Stated as mint but the pictures are not great.

benwoodroffe
    i don't think a quartz would be pointless, but i reckon what most potential buyers would really like would be a hand cranker...

Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    i don't think a quartz would be pointless, but i reckon what most potential buyers would really like would be a hand cranker...
    I agree that a hand winding PRS-5 is ideal, but the problem is a lack of suitable movements unfortunately. The Seagull and Poljot movements have had their own issues and NOS Valjoux 7733, 7734 and 7730 movements are rare and expensive nowadays. The situation is not any better with modern movements either. Even before Swatch Group started restricting the supply of ETA movements, they set about discontinuing less common members of the 7750 family such as the 7760 and 7765.

Hamilton have an asymmetric case Khaki Pilot Pioneer Chronograph with a biocompax H-31 movement (Valjoux 7753 base), but it's bigger than the PRS-5. They also make the quartz version with subdials at 6 and 10. I have both dial colours of the latter and like them a lot. I'd like an auto version, but haven't got round it it yet.

Apart from the CWC chronographs, Hamilton currently appear to be the brand making the watches most similar to the PRS-5. There are also the MWC chronographs, of course, but I'm not sure that they are highly regarded.
    Last edited by Timelord; 18th January 2017 at 08:53.

I've wanted one of these for a long, long time.
    It's a shame that there's little chance for a reissue.

benwoodroffe
    I agree that a hand winding PRS-5 is ideal, but the problem is a lack of suitable movements unfortunately. The Seagull and Poljot movements have had their own issues and NOS Valjoux 7733, 7734 and 7730 movements are rare and expensive nowadays. The situation is not any better with modern movements either. Even before Swatch Group started restricting the supply of ETA movements, they set about discontinuing less common members of the 7750 family such as the 7760 and 7765.

Hamilton have an asymmetric case Khaki Pilot Pioneer Chronograph with a biocompax H-31 movement (Valjoux 7753 base), but it's bigger than the PRS-5. They also make the quartz version with subdials at 6 and 10. I have both dial colours of the latter and like them a lot. I'd like an auto version, but haven't got round it it yet.

Apart from the CWC chronographs, Hamilton currently appear to be the brand making the watches most similar to the PRS-5. There are also the MWC chronographs, of course, but I'm not sure that they are highly regarded.
    Isn't it a shame that there's no one in the UK that could do it?

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Thank you Eddie, very interesting & much appreciated, comprehensively cleared that one up !