closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS-5

benwoodroffe

PRS-5

Does anyone know if the PRS-5 will ever be made again?

I had one and foolishly let it go a while back, epic fail on my part.

I think because of the Worn & Wound article on asymmetrical chronographs and the CWC price rises there'd maybe be a market for them.

Apologies if discussed before and i had a search but couldn't find a thread.

No there won't I'm afraid. Chronograph movements are too expensive.

I'm wearing my Broadarrow version as I type, my chrono mood veered from modern to a more vintage feel, so I swapped my DC56 for it. I've been considering a vast reduction of my watches lately, but both the PRS-5 and Everest would be staying.

F.T.F.A.

benwoodroffe
    Ok thanks guys, that Damasko looks cool

It's a pity that there probably won't be any more PRS-5 or any other chronographs, but that's the way it goes I suppose.

Love my modified one.

Cheers!
    Brane

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop View Post
    Love my modified one.

Cheers!
    Brane
    Nice ! me too.

This is a nice looking watch. I'm not sure why a chronograph would be too expensive to produce. Surely you just charge more?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop View Post
    Love my modified one.

Cheers!
    Brane
    Very nice! How is it modified?

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    Very nice! How is it modified?
    The handset has been changed, the stock ones are the syringe shape.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    This is a nice looking watch. I'm not sure why a chronograph would be too expensive to produce. Surely you just charge more?

I agree, given that the CWC is now £1500, and rising...

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post

I get the impression that the chronographs have never been the strongest sellers. Therefore, with the cost of chronograph movements rising in the way that they have and will probably continue to do so, increasing the price of watches with those movements is unlikely to result in more sales.

Love the modded ones, those hands are perfect.
    Surely the PRS 5 was using a Chinese Seagul chrono, and these are still relatively affordable???
    D

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Love the modded ones, those hands are perfect.
    Surely the PRS 5 was using a Chinese Seagul chrono, and these are still relatively affordable???
    D
    Using the seagull 1963 reissue as a yard stick for the cost of producing a watch housing the ST19 I'd imagine so. On bviously there would be a whole load of other risk, economic consideration and a deals to be done that I'm not privy to - so I'm guessing from some of the consensus it might not really be worth it.

I'd have one though for about £500 new I reckon, probably more depending on the movement.

There's one on eBay for £500 at the moment but he's just being a greedy bugger so not biting out of principle.

There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie
    Fair enough Eddie. Is there a quartz movement that would be suitable?

Craftsman
    That is interesting. My Sea gull 1963 failed just after Christmas (only had it since May and rarely worn). Winding it up as normal and after the third wind, I felt something catastrophic and the winder felt weird. Looked at the watch face and the hands were bent! The hands moved when trying to wind. I guess the mainspring went and somehow coupled the crown in wind position to time adjust.
    I didn't realise this was a known issue. I sent it back to Thomas in Hong Kong so hopefully it will be repaired/replaced. A shame if it's likely to happen again. I really like the look and feel of that movement. And the watch is great too.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Thank you Eddie, very interesting & much appreciated, comprehensively cleared that one up !

Master
    Fair enough Eddie. Is there a quartz movement that would be suitable?
    Quartz wouldn't be the same thing at all - pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Not pointless at all. It's good enough for for CWC.

Master
    I can only think of one quartz chronograph I could be bothered with and that's the JLC mecaquartz as used in various JLC and IWC models in the 1990s.

The vast majority of quartz chronographs just fail the desirability test.

I can only think of one quartz chronograph I could be bothered with and that's the JLC mecaquartz as used in various JLC and IWC models in the 1990s.

The vast majority of quartz chronographs just fail the desirability test.
    ETA 251.262 with centre minutes totaliser as used in the Precista PRS-17C and its Thermoline version, i.e. 251.232.

Master
    ETA 251.262 with centre minutes totaliser as used in the Precista PRS-17C and its Thermoline version, i.e. 251.232.
    Layout 100% wrong for this style of watch.

Ever wondered why you very rarely, if ever, see a PRS5 for sale? More so the original Broadarrow version with the Poljot 3133 movement?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Ever wondered why you very rarely, if ever, see a PRS5 for sale? More so the original Broadarrow version with the Poljot 3133 movement?

I know I'm gutted I sold mine but I also know I'd never in a million years buy a quartz version.

Layout 100% wrong for this style of watch.
    I didn't say that it was the right layout for this type of watch, but then neither is the tricompax JLC mecaquartz that you admire so much. The point I was making is that you you are prepared to dismiss nearly all quartz chronograph movements, including that used in the PRS-17C.

Master
    I didn't say that it was the right layout for this type of watch, but then neither is the tricompax JLC mecaquartz that you admire so much. The point I was making is that you you are prepared to dismiss nearly all quartz chronograph movements, including that used in the PRS-17C.
    Would never in a million years consider buying a watch with this movement or, indeed, with this layout - just a bit cheesey.

Craftsman
    There are 2 PRS-5's on Ebay at the moment, one buy it now which has not shifted for around a month or more and one on open auction. Both UK sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    There are 2 PRS-5's on Ebay at the moment, one buy it now which has not shifted for around a month or more and one on open auction. Both UK sellers.

The BIN example tells us what these aren't worth, the example for auction should give an idea of what they are worth.
    F.T.F.A.

Time for me to pull this old picture out of the bag again... I loved the view inside!

There's two up in Co. Durham I know of! NOT for sale. Cracking good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There's two up in Co. Durham I know of! NOT for sale. Cracking good watch.
    I have now got one of each: a Broadarrow and a Precista.

benwoodroffe
    The BIN example tells us what these aren't worth, the example for auction should give an idea of what they are worth.
    i think they're ending up around the late 200's nowadays.

benwoodroffe
    I have now got one of each: a Broadarrow and a Precista.
    you are welcome to PM me if you ever wish to reduce that number

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Time for me to pull this old picture out of the bag again... I loved the view inside!

that is a great photo, top work !

benwoodroffe
    i don't think a quartz would be pointless, but i reckon what most potential buyers would really like would be a hand cranker...

Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    i don't think a quartz would be pointless, but i reckon what most potential buyers would really like would be a hand cranker...
    I agree that a hand winding PRS-5 is ideal, but the problem is a lack of suitable movements unfortunately. The Seagull and Poljot movements have had their own issues and NOS Valjoux 7733, 7734 and 7730 movements are rare and expensive nowadays. The situation is not any better with modern movements either. Even before Swatch Group started restricting the supply of ETA movements, they set about discontinuing less common members of the 7750 family such as the 7760 and 7765.

Hamilton have an asymmetric case Khaki Pilot Pioneer Chronograph with a biocompax H-31 movement (Valjoux 7753 base), but it's bigger than the PRS-5. They also make the quartz version with subdials at 6 and 10. I have both dial colours of the latter and like them a lot. I'd like an auto version, but haven't got round it it yet.

Apart from the CWC chronographs, Hamilton currently appear to be the brand making the watches most similar to the PRS-5. There are also the MWC chronographs, of course, but I'm not sure that they are highly regarded.
    Last edited by Timelord; 18th January 2017 at 08:53.

I've wanted one of these for a long, long time.
    It's a shame that there's little chance for a reissue.

i think they're ending up around the late 200's nowadays.
    I think they are creeping up much higher than that now-a-days. Especially as the news that Eddie isn't making any more chronos is adding to the desirability.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I think they are creeping up much higher than that now-a-days. Especially as the news that Eddie isn't making any more chronos is adding to the desirability.
    Ok.

Will be interesting to see how much the one that just popped up as an auction goes for.

benwoodroffe
    I agree that a hand winding PRS-5 is ideal, but the problem is a lack of suitable movements unfortunately. The Seagull and Poljot movements have had their own issues and NOS Valjoux 7733, 7734 and 7730 movements are rare and expensive nowadays. The situation is not any better with modern movements either. Even before Swatch Group started restricting the supply of ETA movements, they set about discontinuing less common members of the 7750 family such as the 7760 and 7765.

Hamilton have an asymmetric case Khaki Pilot Pioneer Chronograph with a biocompax H-31 movement (Valjoux 7753 base), but it's bigger than the PRS-5. They also make the quartz version with subdials at 6 and 10. I have both dial colours of the latter and like them a lot. I'd like an auto version, but haven't got round it it yet.

Apart from the CWC chronographs, Hamilton currently appear to be the brand making the watches most similar to the PRS-5. There are also the MWC chronographs, of course, but I'm not sure that they are highly regarded.
    Isn't it a shame that there's no one in the UK that could do it?

A couple of years ago I wrote to more than one British watch company about the possibility of resurrecting the Newmark brand name in order to manufacture and sell British military style pilot chronographs. At the time of writing, there was no registered trade mark in the name of Newmark in the relevant category in force in the UK. I don't know if that is still the case, although I have no reason to believe otherwise. Of the original 4 names that made such bicompax chronographs in the 1970s, Newmark is the only name not to have produced a reissue of sorts.

Have any of the original batch of 200 PRS-5s sold recently? All the ones that come up for sale are the 2nd version with the Chinese movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Have any of the original batch of 200 PRS-5s sold recently? All the ones that come up for sale are the 2nd version with the Chinese movement.

I think this was the last one that sold via SC http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=Broadarrow I'm not sure how any of the WTBs have fared.
    F.T.F.A.

Does anyone know if the PRS-5 will ever be made again?

I had one and foolishly let it go a while back, epic fail on my part.

I think because of the Worn & Wound article on asymmetrical chronographs and the CWC price rises there'd maybe be a market for them.

Apologies if discussed before and i had a search but couldn't find a thread.
    Just saw one here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Facto...3D262805118994

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Yep, I'm watching. I think it'll be interesting to see how much it'll go for, particularly with the presence of another on the site currently on b.i.n. for £495.

A couple of years ago I wrote to more than one British watch company about the possibility of resurrecting the Newmark brand name in order to manufacture and sell British military style pilot chronographs. At the time of writing, there was no registered trade mark in the name of Newmark in the relevant category in force in the UK. I don't know if that is still the case, although I have no reason to believe otherwise. Of the original 4 names that made such bicompax chronographs in the 1970s, Newmark is the only name not to have produced a reissue of sorts.
    It is being done David, look here

Dave

Dave
    Thank you so much Dave, that's excellent news. Now all we need is Breitling to reissue the fifth member of the 'Fabulous Four'.

Craftsman

Dave
    Excellent... That would be a good addition to my collection, since my PRS5 gets worn frequently!
    Thank you that info.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
    Excellent... That would be a good addition to my collection, since my PRS5 gets worn frequently!
    Thank you that info.
    Mike
    I'm going to look forward to the Newmark, even if it is a quartz. I wonder if there is a movement with the correct subdial positions and spacing for the job?

Craftsman
    I'm going to look forward to the Newmark, even if it is a quartz. I wonder if there is a movement with the correct subdial positions and spacing for the job?
    I do usually lean towards a purely mechanical movement, however I am very interested in this project even if it'll be powered by a reliable quartz movement. Unfortunate really that QC considerations means that the Seagull ST19 [Venus 175] is not viable.

That the project is being driven forward by someone who has a real passion for watches & whose wristwatch reviews I have read on many occasions before finally purchasing the watch reviewed only makes me more determined to follow this project & then to seriously consider purchasing the resulting timepiece.

My PRS5 is one of my favourites, so to add a similar quartz design would be very appealing!