closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: *Newbie* Where should I buy watches from these days??

Apprentice

*Newbie* Where should I buy watches from these days??

Hi,

Im new to the watch collecting game so please be gentle.

Ive decided to pick up a few watches to build up a collection but like everything these days im guessing buying new entry level watches has moved online? am I right in thinking if I want a quick service and a good price im best off online and not buying from my local stores? Also being in a small city there is limited choice.

The issue that brings however is which websites should I be looking at as good places to buy from, As its not something ive ever done im a little unsure.

Im also a little confused by prices, Looking on some comparison videos online from the USA, For example the Seiko Flightmaster is in one for best watches under $200. This is a price I can get nowhere near in the UK, So is it simply unrealistic to get one at that price or should I be importing from overseas?

I was originally looking at spending £1k on a one off watch but im coming around to buying 2 or 3 and a couple of straps for each and having a few different looks, Also reducing the wear on a single watch, Ive been wearing a basic Tissot chrono for the last 10 years and its all marked and scratched which is a shame, i was thinking by building a small collection I would reduce this issue in the future as 10 years of wear would be spread over 2-3 different watches.

A couple of watches im interested in are the Seiko Flightmaster, the Seiko 5 SNZF17K1 and the Seiko SKX013.
    i know they are all the same manufacturer but they seem a well reviewed watch at that price point, however i appreciate any views.

Welcome,if you like seikos look at creation watches online,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Top of the page....right in the middle .....TIMEFACTORS......!!!!

1000k would get you a couple of really nice watches........Speedbird 3, Dreadnought Voyager, Smiths Everest......

Master
    Welcome onboard !

Possibly not the cheapest but I recently purchased a lovely Seiko Sumo from Yorkshire Watches. The service was excellent. They have many, many Seiko models to choose from at all price points. Good luck with your selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post
    Top of the page....right in the middle .....TIMEFACTORS......!!!!

1000k would get you a couple of really nice watches........Speedbird 3, Dreadnought Voyager, Smiths Everest......
    With 1000k maybe make Eddie an offer for TIMEFACTORS.

Banned
    Welcome, buying online is too easy, some of the chaps () on here have traveled thousands of miles to pick a watch up, use the web for reference but there's nothing like good old fashioned face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

I think that skywatches.com sell Seikos and are worth considering too. They are often cheaper than Creation, at least for G-Shocks anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With 1000k maybe make Eddie an offer for TIMEFACTORS.

Who in there right mind would buy this place, it worse than a secure unit.

Welcome.

Do the watches have to be new? Even with modestly priced pieces there are decent savings to be had buying pre-owned.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. And so Quickly!

The watches dont have to be new but with me just starting out I think my first purchase will be new. Once I know about more about what im doing maybe i will look at preowned.

Master
    I echo timefactors for value for money and creation if it must be seiko.

Master
    Hmm £1000 you say? That's certainly something you could have fun with
    1 x Seiko Orange Monster
    1 x Seiko Pogue
    1 x Seiko Kakume

Or
    1 x Seiko SKX007
    1 x Seiko Pogue
    1 x Seiko UFO

You might even sneak in a Seiko 5 as well.

Alternatively switch out one of the Seiko's for a vintage Certina DS or Tissot PRS516.

If you want a high end brand in the collection you could buy a vintage Zenith Sporto within the £1000

The great thing is you can buy really horologicallly interesting or at least reasonable pieces at leisure and within budget.

Journeyman
    Welcome to the forum.

You can't go wrong with starting off with a Seiko for your budget. You can see loads in the flesh in your high street shops like H Samuel but the really interesting ones are to be bought online from Creation, Skywatches or Watchshop. Or stretching your budget a bit further, imported from Japan who sell versions unavailable in the UK.
    If you get 2-3 watches you can get a diver and a dress watch and another style and see which sort you really like plus what sort of size works for you and then maybe spend more £££ in the future on that particular style.
    Worth looking at Christopher Ward and Hamilton aswell.
    Look at previous threads on here such as the friday ones which just consist of pictures of the watches people are wearing that particular day and get some ideas although the tend to be Rolex/Omega heavy. Then google is your friend.

Master
    I'm not sure on these watches but generally Chronext have the best reseller prices, now that Iconic have the currency issues. I don't know if there are other trusted sellers like them around?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Hmm £1000 you say? That's certainly something you could have fun with
    1 x Seiko Orange Monster
    I really like that, definitely on the list

Master
    There's a thread here with details of Seiko's long history. Read that....or bits of it....and you will realise why people recommend Seiko. You buy serious watches at knock-down prices. In truth, it is all you will need;but not all you will want .
    The only real 'rule' is......have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I'm not sure on these watches but generally Chronext have the best reseller prices, now that Iconic have the currency issues. I don't know if there are other trusted sellers like them around?
    There are several, but you can't argue with the price and service at Chronext who seem to be in the driving seat at the moment.

Journeyman
    Seiko SARBs . Have a 035 on the way

Master
    Blog Entries
    I looked at buying some awful watches when I started out and purchased at least one stinker. You want some watches, start with one, keep reading here, the variety really is endless and there is more objective discussion much less fawning than the brand specific forums who need to keep sponsors happy.
    Take your time, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Master
    The world is your oyster with a grand to play with, I think I would be looking at:
    Seiko Monster and maybe a PADI
    Bulova Moon watch
    G-Shock

Should be be able to pick those up in budget and have 4 great watches that will cover most bases

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    There are several, but you can't argue with the price and service at Chronext who seem to be in the driving seat at the moment.
    Who have been best in your experience after Chronext for new/unworn?

A grand is easy :)

Seiko SKX007

Orange Monster. You can still get the second generation new

SARB 065 Cocktail Time

I can recommend Yorkshire watches for Seiko, but Creation is a good call. The cocktail time is Japanese market l, so Seiya.

I bought all of these, and regretfully let the 065 go towards a Rolex

Dave

Apprentice
    Is it worth paying the extra for the Jap models over the standard. I guessing improved build quality etc
    looking at the Monsters they are available in standard and as Jap spec at yorkshire watches as is most of the seiko divers that im looking at

Master
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would be looking at Seiko and Timefactors as discussed, also take a look at Steinhart and Scurfa

Quote Originally Posted by deadonkey View Post
    Is it worth paying the extra for the Jap models over the standard. I guessing improved build quality etc
    looking at the Monsters they are available in standard and as Jap spec at yorkshire watches as is most of the seiko divers that im looking at
    I'm not sure the JDM models are worth much of a premium. Yorkshire watches seem to be £35-40 extra for J rather than K. I would be (am in fact!) happy with K

D

With £1k, I'd buy used but as new as possible and I'd buy the best possible watch that I could find, in both brand and condition.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    I bought my first two watches from Jura Watches. I received the Hamilton last week and am awaiting the Longines Hydroconquest shown below (I bought from Jura when on their sale but it's cheaper below now).

I'm aware you mentioned Seiko but thought I'd throw another few brand names out there for hours to look at.

http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item...42.4.96.6.html

Craftsman
    You said at the start of your thread that you liked the SNZF17. I've bought several Seikos from here before at a good price.
    http://www.sports-watch-store.com/se...-divers-watch/

Journeyman

Hi all - if anyone has bought from creation, have you had to pay import tax?

TIA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman49 View Post
    It seems to be very rare indeed to be caught when they ship from Singapore (but it has happened to people on this forum). When they ship from a business partner in Japan (this is mainly for more valuable watches) then you'll have to pay the import VAT and fee every time.

You should budget for the tax and fee every time no matter what, just in case.

Clearly you should voluntarily declare the import if it's not caught by customs when it comes into the country. :-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 10th January 2017 at 12:39.

TIA
    No ,bought twice

Master
    Use the web to check prices and then use the search here to see how credible they are.
    I'd suggest buying just one initially as you'll learn from that and soak up the knowledge/experiences shared on this forum in the meantime as it's a veritable rabbit hole of a journey if you get genuinely interested.
    Carlisle isn't the best for trying on watches outside of EJ and a couple of others so take your time and maybe plan a trip to a city and a couple of hours at somewhere like Watchfinder or similar.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It seems to be very rare indeed to be caught when they ship from Singapore (but it has happened to people on this forum). When they ship from a business partner in Japan (this is mainly for more valuable watches) then you'll have to pay the import VAT and fee every time.

You should budget for the tax and fee every time no matter what, just in case.

Clearly you should voluntarily declare the import if it's not caught by the customs when it comes into the country. :-)
    Thank you for the reply Mark. It looks like it was an initial mistake from me that prompted the question as I thought they were USA based, but I agree that the budget should cover import tax just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

No ,bought twice

Cheers - looks like I'm off (virtually) to Singapore.

Craftsman
    First watch I bought here when I joined a few years ago, under advice from the forum, was a Seiko SKX009. Many watches have come and gone, but that one has stayed the course. Perfect beater in my opinion. Been battered in the garden, covered in creosote, done occasional desk diving and been where its meant to, in the sea as a holiday watch every year.

Been on a wjean oyster for a while now, and every time I think of getting a replacement watch I always struggle to find something better suited that I wouldn't mind if it was smashed/lost/stolen.

Bought as something to muck around with, its wormed its way in as a keeper somehow.

Like many one here, bought from Creation trouble free.

Apprentice
    are we sure Creation watches are totally genuine?
    They seem awfully cheap, which is great if they are the real deal.

Looking through their FAQ, watches are not shipped in the original boxes and since they are not an authorised dealer the warantee is not valid with the watch manufacturer.
    To someone like me, new to all this. ive got about a million alarm bells giving me a headache!

Blog Entries
    are we sure Creation watches are totally genuine?
    They seem awfully cheap, which is great if they are the real deal.
    Yes, completely genuine. Yes, very good value.

Looking through their FAQ, watches are not shipped in the original boxes and since they are not an authorised dealer the warantee is not valid with the watch manufacturer.
    Depends. Some do come in original boxes and with manufacturer's warranty but most Seikos don't (neither original box nor Seiko warranty) in my experience of using Creation. In some cases you can pay them a little extra for the original Seiko box (or you used to be able to, I've not seen this option recently as I recall).

As a sort of counter-example, I just bought a Seiko from Creation (delivered yesterday by DHL) and it came in one of Creation's own boxes (very nice actually) and with a worldwide Seiko guarantee. If I sent the watch to Seiko UK I'd expect to have no problems getting it fixed under warranty.

I've bought several watches from Creation and always been very happy. In general my view of buying from Creation is as follows:

(1) If something disappears en route (very rare) they are usually helpful from what I have seen from other people's reports (this has never happened to me).

(2) The vast majority of stuff from Creation is delivered extremely quickly and in perfect condition.

(3) However, in the rare case that a watch is faulty on delivery then they are less than helpful. This is where paying by PayPal is critical. The vast majority of watches they send out are fine and I've never had a problem with them but I know that things do go wrong sometimes.

(4) Overall I am happy to buy from Creation and to recommend them for mid and lower end Seiko, Citizen and Orient watches. For higher value Seikos I'd probably buy elsewhere because their prices are not quite so good for these types of watches.

Also check out www.watches88.com and www.skywatches.com.sg for good prices from Malaysia and Singapore. I've bought from both these companies and am happy to recommend them.

Journeyman
    Well guys, I shall let you know how they deal with faulty watches.

I've bought a SRP581K1 and it arrived very quickly, so that was impressive.

However it came with a manual for a totally different watch, and when I pull the crown out to the first click to change the day and date, nothing happens, rendering the watch useless.

I have emailed them asking them to let me know about their returns policy, and hopefully, all will be sorted professionally.

Cheers

Journeyman
    Well guys, I shall let you know how they deal with faulty watches.

I've bought a SRP581K1 and it arrived very quickly, so that was impressive.

However it came with a manual for a totally different watch, and when I pull the crown out to the first click to change the day and date, nothing happens, rendering the watch useless.

I have emailed them asking them to let me know about their returns policy, and hopefully, all will be sorted professionally.

Cheers
    Well so far, it is a nightmare. I have asked them for a return/refund and so far they keep blanking me with a stock 'please take your watch to the seiko repair as listed in the warranty booklet'

The last thing you want to do when you purchase a watch is to receive it broken and then have to send it off to get it fixed - its madness!

I am now on my fourth email to them demanding a return/refund, and this was their reply:

We regret for the inconvenience caused, Please take the watch to
    Service Center listed in warranty booklet or to the local watchmaker.
    For the inconvenience, we will refund you 10 USD.

As anybody else had this kind of service from these guys?

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Well so far, it is a nightmare. I have asked them for a return/refund and so far they keep blanking me with a stock 'please take your watch to the seiko repair as listed in the warranty booklet'

The last thing you want to do when you purchase a watch is to receive it broken and then have to send it off to get it fixed - its madness!

I am now on my fourth email to them demanding a return/refund, and this was their reply:

We regret for the inconvenience caused, Please take the watch to
    Service Center listed in warranty booklet or to the local watchmaker.
    For the inconvenience, we will refund you 10 USD.

As anybody else had this kind of service from these guys?

Cheers
    For the avoidance of doubt, this is Creation isn't it? If so then luckily it's never happened to me but, from what I have seen from other people's reports, this is their standard response for faulty watches. See item 3 in my message above (#37).

My view is: Don't worry about it. This is the risk you take by buying from a cut price vendor such as Creation who are not obligated to provide the consumer protection that EU and UK vendors must provide. In my experience (which is now quite a few watches from Creation) it is well worth the risk but I do understand that it's very galling and upsetting to have a problem on your first purchase from them.

As to what to do, I suggest that if you have the warranty card for the watch and it's a European or worldwide warranty then you simply take Creation's advice and get it fixed under warranty by Seiko UK. Take Creation's $10 offer. At the end of it you'll still have a bargain.

If you don't have the warranty card for the watch then, as per my comment above, this is where PayPal comes into play. Enter a PayPal dispute. But only do this if you can't get Seiko UK to take care of it.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th January 2017 at 19:17.

Apprentice
    Ordered a monster off creation.
    It's showing as available upon payment on the dhl tracking.
    Looks like I've been stung for import tax.
    And it came from Singapore too.

Blog Entries
    Ordered a monster off creation.
    It's showing as available upon payment on the dhl tracking.
    Looks like I've been stung for import tax.
    And it came from Singapore too.
    (a) Does the DHL tracker show a delivery date? If so, the watch will probably be delivered on that date whether or not you have paid anything beforehand.

(b) Does the tracker show the amount of money due (it certainly can do this and usually does in my experience). If it's not much (say less than £5) then it might not be collected.

(c) If the watch is delivered but they still want to collect tax due then expect an invoice in a few days to a few weeks time.

In short, don't do anything unless the tracker is explicitly demanding payment before delivery. If it has a scheduled delivery date and it is is only saying words to the effect that "the delivery may be delayed if you don't pay" then wait and see what happens.

Note the "might" and "probably" above. Anything could happen, really. :-)

Craftsman
    Whilst I like Seiko, I own four myself. I do see a lot of them and I'm losing the love a bit. I think a limited edition Steinhart would be a good way to go and may even appreciate in price a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    It says.
    "Shipment held. Available on receipt of payment"
    I logged in to the customs payments on dhls website and it showed outstanding charges of £23.
    Paid it. Not a huge amount but eats into the discount a little.

Blog Entries
    It says.
    "Shipment held. Available on receipt of payment"
    Ah, not so good. Yes, that one does have to be paid.

I logged in to the customs payments on dhls website and it showed outstanding charges of £23.
    Paid it. Not a huge amount but eats into the discount a little.
    Oh well, at least it wasn't much. Bad luck for being caught, though.

It's interesting how some get through untaxed and others don't.

Journeyman
    For the avoidance of doubt, this is Creation isn't it? If so then luckily it's never happened to me but, from what I have seen from other people's reports, this is their standard response for faulty watches. See item 3 in my message above (#37).

My view is: Don't worry about it. This is the risk you take by buying from a cut price vendor such as Creation who are not obligated to provide the consumer protection that EU and UK vendors must provide. In my experience (which is now quite a few watches from Creation) it is well worth the risk but I do understand that it's very galling and upsetting to have a problem on your first purchase from them.

As to what to do, I suggest that if you have the warranty card for the watch and it's a European or worldwide warranty then you simply take Creation's advice and get it fixed under warranty by Seiko UK. Take Creation's $10 offer. At the end of it you'll still have a bargain.

If you don't have the warranty card for the watch then, as per my comment above, this is where PayPal comes into play. Enter a PayPal dispute. But only do this if you can't get Seiko UK to take care of it.

Agreed Mark - (and yes, it was Creation) it is just one of those things - I'll get it repaired as i have the warranty card. It is the chance you take I suppose.

Apprentice
    Ah, not so good. Yes, that one does have to be paid.

Oh well, at least it wasn't much. Bad luck for being caught, though.

It's interesting how some get through untaxed and others don't.
    I suspect the game may be up for everyone.
    They put a value of the shipment of $80. So it's always going to be liable for taxes as everything over £35 or so is. So I believe

Blog Entries
    I suspect the game may be up for everyone.
    Who knows what will happen in future but I don't think so. As I mentioned above, I had a watch delivered from Creation on the 10th and taxes were not charged on it.

Creation ship a lot of watches so I don't think we can predict that the "game may be up" from just one or two experiences. It needs to be a trend to see how things are working out.

They put a value of the shipment of $80.
    That's an unusually high valuation for Creation, although still way under the correct value of a Monster. It seems to me that you did get away with it, admittedly not at zero tax but at a massive saving off the correct tax. I do hope that you'll let HMRC know that it was under-declared. ;-)

Journeyman
    The watch I had delivered last week, I had to pay £3.40 importation charges.

Journeyman

tk maxx

Yes indeed... The clearance section of tk maxx dept stores has yielded me a Swiss Military Hanowa gents with black pvd bracelet rrp £170 for £29. The ladies on a black croc leather rrp£140 for £26. And a timex expedition indiglo on camo canvas strap for £7. There are a selection of Eterna made Porsche Design P6000 watches to be had both auto and quartz at £599.99 but too rich for me after crimbo. I did also partake of a cheap CCCP quartz pvd on leather for £19 which is fantastically robust has a screw crown with guard and second hand hits bang on every marker. Cheap as chips...