closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Omega dress watches.

Vintage Omega dress watches.

Ive been looking at vintage Omegas but very wary of making a purchase due to my non-existent knowledge. I don't want to end up buying a wrong un'.

Any advice on a good place/model to start. Something simple like a Geneve and around 34-36mm. Also did Omega make a Geneve without lume?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 8th January 2017 at 16:13.

Grand Master
    Lots of different models, it's hard to generalise.

Best ones to go for in my opinion are the cal 601/613 handwounds from the 60s. The automatics are more desirable but can be a lot more costly to sort out. I`d also recommend something waterproof; some of the watches were supposedly dustproof, they won`t stand up to being submerged but they may withstand splashed water if you're lucky.

Look for a dial in good original condition with a good handset; replacement hands are a bit hit and miss, genuine ones are getting harder to source and the generics aren`t always exactly the same. Reluming hands isn`t a problem, or repainting if they're black-filled, but pitted/badly tarnished hands have to be replaced to look right again. Refinishing a scruffy dial costs around £100 and the result isn`t always exactly the same. Avoid heavily dinged/battered cases, even after refinishing they won`t be perfect again if the damage is deep.

Good ones are getting harder to find thesedays at reasonable money.

Paul

Craftsman

Vintage Omega dress watches.

I have these two. Both get regular wear and keep accurate time. Both from the 1960's

Absolutely love them.

This one is an auto,

And this one manual wind

No idea if dials/hands have been replaced/refinished but I don't really care to be honest. They won't be going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is quite a handy resource, especially if you know approximate year, if you can find it at least it gives you something to go on if it all looks correct (dial, case, handset etc.).

http://www.old-omegas.com

There are a lot of frankens out there but plenty of bargain opportunities and with careful research you should be OK. EBay while littered with things like repainted dials(easy enough to spot) it's probably still the best place for getting the best deal, you take your risk though.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 8th January 2017 at 18:22.

Thank you for the responses and photos. Lovely watches!

I've been looking at some models on dealers websites, but I think I would feel more comfortable buying one from SC. I would prefer handwound so it's good to know what Cal's to look out for.

Thanks again.

Edit: Thanks for the link, looks to be very helpful.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 8th January 2017 at 18:22.

Master
    Luckily Omega produced tons of Connies, Geneves, Seamaster dress watches. They ruled the 60's so they were the go-to "Datejust" option of that decade. This means there are still greater quantities available than Longine, JLC, Zenith, IWC. Prices have risen but not crazily like the Divers and Speedies of the period.
    Next thing I guess is to decide on whether you like the classic round dial or are moving towards the funkier 'C' shaped cases ( the 'C' Shaped Connies are my favourite
    I'd recommend looking up Austin Kaye as they have always a real range of Omega dress watches. They do have a sale on their website and I think give 24 month warrant (might be 12 months) they're not the cheapest but their not way over budget either.
    Most Geneves, Connies will have non lame hands if that is an issue.
    Finally just to add I've got a Omega hidden crown Connie and have to say it is scarily accurate for 50 year old piece.

Master
    Just remembered Velorum is his SOTC thread said he might shift on his Omega Geneve.
    Might be worth sending him a message.

Journeyman
    You could do worse than a Constellation "C" case

One of Gerald's finest designs in my opinion, still looks fresh today and a well serviced one will be reliable and scary accurate.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Just remembered Velorum is his SOTC thread said he might shift on his Omega Geneve.
    That was the De Ville - and it went quickly on SC this afternoon.

Which leaves me with the 1965 Seamaster - which I am hanging on to for the time being - its a lovely piece. 285 cal. manual wind movement recently given a full service by Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Thanks, I saw the De Ville and not surprisingly it went very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by busmatt View Post
    One of Gerald's finest designs in my opinion, still looks fresh today and a well serviced one will be reliable and scary accurate.

Matt

That's very nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    That was the De Ville - and it went quickly on SC this afternoon.

Which leaves me with the 1965 Seamaster - which I am hanging on to for the time being - its a lovely piece. 285 cal. manual wind movement recently given a full service by Brendan

I notice you do say "for the time being"....

Join the queue for that one!!

Master
    I have this given to me by my Dad. Not sure on reference but I believe it's 1968 or 69. I have the "fixoflex" bracelet for it too.

I love the look of the old 'Pie Pan' Constellations

Craftsman
    You'll probably find plenty of good ideas researching the numerous threads on the "Vintage Omega" forum over at Omega Forums, and many reliable offerings on their sales forum.
    Constellation Pie Pans have become quite pricey but there are nice (and much more affordable) Seamasters and Devilles....
    Depends also what you call "dress" watch. Are you looking for slim stainless steel, or for gold capped, or solid gold?

Best regards,
    S

Master
    lots of good advice already given,if in doubt consult the the forum,the are some very learned folks on here.this is my 18ct gold 1960 seamaster,i paid a lot for this but the bracelet is 18ct gold also..................................

Grand Master
    Nice, love the old-style bracelets. Must get a watch to fit mine, a 9ct Seamaster Deville's what I`m looking for.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by busmatt View Post

Matt

That's very nice.
    Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    I have these two. Both get regular wear and keep accurate time. Both from the 1960's

Absolutely love them.

This one is an auto,

That is my idea of a sleek dress watch, lovely!

Apprentice
    I really like my 1972 Omega Geneve and its (slightly more unusual?) dial

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Nice to see this thread resurrected

I'm wearing my 285 today

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Seamaster-285

I'm wearing my 285 today

Very nice. Quite fancy one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm wearing my 285 today

Beautiful.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    1962 - model ST 165.0013?

Quote Originally Posted by Boots2 View Post
    1962 - model ST 165.0013?

Nice example. And a Turler dial to boot.

Master
    1960 pie pan Connie.

Last edited by Padders; 26th November 2018 at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    1960 pie pan Connie.

Wow!

Thats just beautiful..........same age as myself....

But.... it looks as if its aged way better than myself!

Grand Master
    I have two, both Constellation c shapes. one is 60's and steel, the other late 70's (i think) and gold capped. both are with Paul (walkerwek1958) for some tlc at the moment but if he has his camera handy...... a cheaper option can be a vintage tissot, i have one that's very similar to the 60's c shape constellation but costs a lot less!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

1960 pie pan Connie.

Mate that is truly stunning

Ive been looking at an SS case Constellation on eBay for just over £!K but its tricky to justify the outlay just before Christmas.

Pie Pan dials looks superb.

Apprentice
    1960 pie pan Connie.

That is superb

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I have two, both Constellation c shapes. one is 60's and steel, the other late 70's (i think) and gold capped. both are with Paul (walkerwek1958) for some tlc at the moment but if he has his camera handy...... a cheaper option can be a vintage tissot, i have one that's very similar to the 60's c shape constellation but costs a lot less!
    Steel one's on my wrist having its final regulation, the gold-capped one's sorted.......you won`t recognise the gold one when you see it, its brushed where it should be and polished where it should be, resplendent with its new sapphire crystal. The over-polished look of the lugs/case has now gone!

I`ll get the camera out tomorrow if I`ve time in the morning, they do look nice side by side.....hopefully they'll be back in Hull where they belong by the weekend

Padders' Pie-Pan is a cracker, I`ve got one similar but mine hasn`t got the 10-sided crown, whether it had from new or not is open to debate. I think my watch dates from 1964, I have the original box and bill of sale with it!........another watch on my 'needs servicing' list. Looks like the same model to me, 34mm diameter with longish lugs. Mine needs to get out more!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 27th November 2018 at 21:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Padders' Pie-Pan is a cracker, I`ve got one similar but mine hasn`t got the 10-sided crown, whether it had from new or not is open to debate. I think my watch dates from 1964, I have the original box and bill of sale with it!........another watch on my 'needs servicing' list. Looks like the same model to me, 34mm diameter with longish lugs. Mine needs to get out more!
    Too kind! I would love to see yours Paul when you dig it out. I have seen various crowns on Connies so wouldn't be certain what is right or wrong. They moved over to dog leg lugs at some point in the early to mid 60s so yours may possibly be more different to mine than you remember!

Apprentice
    I have an 1951 de ville, it's a lovely watch and was in perfect condition till it got stolen. It has since been recovered but currently with Omega to be restored back to its former glory!

On a side note which someone else touched on. It's no where close to being water/dust resistant. To the point I had to take it off to pretty much wash my hands!

As a dress watch though and an everyday they are stunning!

A couple of pictures of my beautiful old Omega dress watch which I inherited from my dear uncle a couple of years ago. Very small by today’s standards of course and I don’t wear it often, but when I do it always makes me smile!

Forgive the hastily-snapped phone pictures...

Master
    Blog Entries
    1960 pie pan Connie.

Very nice. I have a similar one with date function. I'm not sure of the year but 60's

Grand Master

Here's one I sold earlier....

1947 18ct Rose gold bumper automatic, I restored this one in 2017. The dial was fairly rough and the hands were scruffy so I had the dial refinished and replaced the handset. Getting hold of rose gold hands is always tricky but I got lucky on these.

Gone, but not forgotten, I sold it in March and I`ve just heard that the owner is thinking of selling it.......he must be crazy, only reason I didn't keep it was the fact that I own a Rose Gold Seamaster from 1950. It's a super dress watch!

Grand Master

And here's 3 of mine that are going nowhere!

3 of my favourites, the Constellation's 18ct with a super original dial, the steel one's ca 1969 with original dial and case refinished by me, the Rose Gold Seamaster dates from 1950 with refinished dial and NOS handset. Bought this one in 1996 whilst 'between domestic situations'....officially I was skint but I scraped up the money to buy this and I`ve never seen one quite like it since.

Steel one's now on the bracelet again

Beautiful set Paul, but I really like that 1947 one above with the horn lugs, lovely!

Master
    I’ve managed to gather 5 vintage omegas over the last couple of years... my wife thinks I’m mad.

From the left:

1) A perfect, original 9ct Geneve bought from Mr Walker of this parish for my wedding.
    2) A friends fathers old geneve date, with a reasonably unusual blue dial. Was knackered and bought back to life by Brendan.
    3) A truly lovely linen dial seamaster bought from (then sold back to, then bought back from!) Mr Velorum
    4) Recently acquired from Bender here an SS Constellation that has been through the hands of Paul - it’s a cracker!
    5) Finally a slightly old and battered Speedmaster Reduced. Bought from Daney here and regularly on the wrist.

Great to see my old 285 linen dial and know that its in safe hands!

Lovely 18k RG one on the Austin Kaye website atm, a mere £4,800

Two of mine

Master
    1947 18ct Rose gold bumper automatic, I restored this one in 2017. The dial was fairly rough and the hands were scruffy so I had the dial refinished and replaced the handset. Getting hold of rose gold hands is always tricky but I got lucky on these.

Gone, but not forgotten, I sold it in March and I`ve just heard that the owner is thinking of selling it.......he must be crazy, only reason I didn't keep it was the fact that I own a Rose Gold Seamaster from 1950. It's a super dress watch!

I’m missing a small seconds Paul... will be very tempted if it ever reaches SC!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    I love the look of the old 'Pie Pan' Constellations
    Yes same here. Beautiful looking.

Yep, it’s a stunning watch, but with a recent JLC purchase, I’m not going to get to wear it

Master
    Bravo Paul. Very nice and as you say that Connie is very like mine. Here are a couple of others I have put by.

Master
    1960 pie pan Connie.

I was scrolling for a pie pan. Always fancied one of those!

You can't beat a PiePan!

Grand Master
    Nice one!....

Here's one I restored in late 2017 as my 60th birthday present to myself. The dial and hands are original, bracelet's an Omega replacement. Can`t remember the case ref, watch dates from 1967 and its 35mm exc crown so it wears a bit different from most. Lugs are significantly shorter than the classic late 50s/early 60s models. Owning this is one of the reasons I let my Explorer 1 go recently, it ticks the 'steel black dial bracelet watch' box nicely and it needs to come out more often!

I bought a vintage Omega Geneve recently, it's 35mm it has an auto movement, it's really nice, it's currently being serviced so can't share any photos.

My advice is, pick one you like within your budget and take in consideration service costs and you're ready to go.

Cheers