closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 1937

Thread: Formula 1 2017

Back to the here and now, and the penultimate race of the season, on what these days seems to be a classic track, because it hasn't been neutered by the hand of Tilke.

The weather forecast indicates a drizzly Saturday morning, so there's the possibility of some dampness for Qualifying, with the race forecast as dry and sunny, with temperatures in the mid 20's. Deckchair for Mr Alonso?

Tyre choices:

I don't know whether it's likely to be a one or two stop race, but the teams seem to have unlocked the secrets of making the Pirellis last quite well this season, so I would expect that a one-stopper would be favourite. However, it's Brazil, so the race could easily be wet.

Interest now centres on the scrap for second in the Drivers' Championships, with Vettel leading Bottas by 15 points. Otherwise, it's all about preparations for next season. George Russell and Charles Leclerc will run in FP1 for Force India and Sauber respectively, Force India have apparently told Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez that they are free to race, the team having secured an impressive fourth place in the Constructors' Championship (again), and almost everybody will be trying development parts in preparation for 2018.

Naturally, Felipe Massa will have an emotional annual retirement ceremony in the pit lane. Speculation as to the identity of his likely replacement continues apace, and now includes Daniil Kvyat and Pascal Wehrlein as the lineup of unfortunate former Formula 1 pilots lengthens outside the Williams factory gates.

F1 and the WEC are the peaks of their respective race categories, they need to be seen as the fastest and the most exciting and technologically advanced of their type. Balance that with the desire to remain relevant to the real world with regards to (trickle-down to) road car technologies, green agendas and the constant chat around keeping a grip on costs it should be no surprise to anyone that opinions will differ between teams, media, fans as well as the governing bodies and promoters.

Progress, in what ever form that takes, is inevitable. Costs will be involved and there's a consensus that change increases the financial strain, however is that really the case? That's akin to saying that if regulations are stable then teams spend the same, or possibly less, on trying to progress through the field. Surely teams, and their component suppliers, spend the same yet, in the case of stable conditions, potentially gain a diminishing return on their investment? Funds that would otherwise be used to develop current technologies would simply be diverted to fund something new and a decision would be made as to when that transition period would happen in much the same way as a team decides to faze out development of one season's car to the focus on the next. The bottom line is that whoever is seen to be the most financially advantaged will be also have the greatest potential to build the strongest team, that will never change.

Part of me thinks that the greatest challenge to motorsport in general is to maintain the emotional excitement levels for the fans as well as sensibly increase the levels of accessibility through media coverage and fan interaction. Part of what creates the draw for me is the sight, sounds and even smells of the overall spectacle. Thunderous roar of an Aston or Corvette GTE vs Formula E? No contest.

Anyway, on a more F1 specific topic, I'd mentioned a good few pages ago that I'd like to see MV with SV at Ferrari to see how the two would compare, I then switched that to saying that I'd rather DR moved over instead. Seeing as Max is now staying put it does make me wonder whether, internal politics aside, DR vs SV would happen. As it stands I think he'll end up staying with RB depending on the engine situation, and he wouldn't be a No2 to Max.
    Last edited by CardShark; 8th November 2017 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    ...and almost everybody will be trying development parts in preparation for 2018.

Naturally, Felipe Massa will have an emotional annual retirement ceremony in the pit lane. Speculation as to the identity of his likely replacement continues apace, and now includes Daniil Kvyat and Pascal Wehrlein as the lineup of unfortunate former Formula 1 pilots lengthens outside the Williams factory gates.
    Merc and Force India have both publicly stated that they'll be experimenting, it'll be interesting to see what both they and the others will bring along.

As for Williams, I can't see any first choices among the lot of them. It almost feels as though they'll have to pick from a less than ideal bunch, which is a shame. They're struggling to get back up to the front of the grid and with the retention of Stroll I can't see how any of the choices will assist the team in pushing forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Merc and Force India have both publicly stated that they'll be experimenting, it'll be interesting to see what both they and the others will bring along.

As for Williams, I can't see any first choices among the lot of them. It almost feels as though they'll have to pick from a less than ideal bunch, which is a shame. They're struggling to get back up to the front of the grid and with the retention of Stroll I can't see how any of the choices will assist the team in pushing forward.
    I've said in the past that Williams reminds me of Tyrrell in their last years, when a good deal was preferable to a good driver.

And you're right, the pickings are particularly slim right now. They've done well in the last few years, with Stroll's money and the deal with Mercedes for the services of Valtteri Bottas, but they can't go on pulling rabbits from hats. There's a limited supply of rabbits. And hats.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    F1 and the WEC are the peaks of their respective race categories, they need to be seen as the fastest and the most exciting and technologically advanced of their type. Balance that with the desire to remain relevant to the real world with regards to (trickle-down to) road car technologies, green agendas and the constant chat around keeping a grip on costs it should be no surprise to anyone that opinions will differ between teams, media, fans as well as the governing bodies and promoters.

Progress, in what ever form that takes, is inevitable. Costs will be involved and there's a consensus that change increases the financial strain, however is that really the case? That's akin to saying that if regulations are stable then teams spend the same, or possibly less, on trying to progress through the field. Surely teams, and their component suppliers, spend the same yet, in the case of stable conditions, potentially gain a diminishing return on their investment? Funds that would otherwise be used to develop current technologies would simply be diverted to fund something new and a decision would be made as to when that transition period would happen in much the same way as a team decides to faze out development of one season's car to the focus on the next. The bottom line is that whoever is seen to be the most financially advantaged will be also have the greatest potential to build the strongest team, that will never change.

Part of me thinks that the greatest challenge to motorsport in general is to maintain the emotional excitement levels for the fans as well as sensibly increase the levels of accessibility through media coverage and fan interaction. Part of what creates the draw for me is the sight, sounds and even smells of the overall spectacle. Thunderous roar of an Aston or Corvette GTE vs Formula E? No contest.

That sounds familiar (link):

Since its first performance in 1983, the company strove to be different from other circuses by constantly coming up with innovations. Every show presented by Cirque, was based on a central theme with a supporting storyline, amalgamating different circus styles from across the world. Cirque avoided animals and star performers, which were commonly seen in traditional circus. The performances at Cirque were very innovative and quite different from what people normally saw. It added a certain amount of sophistication to traditional circus and thus carved out a niche market for itself.

Till August 2007, Cirque's estimated revenues for the year were more than US$ 600 million with over a dozen shows running across the world at any point of time. Every new production was entirely different from the previous ones. To produce such vast varieties of acts, Cirque had to be extremely creative and keep innovating. It carefully devised its marketing strategies and conducted extensive research to design the sets and stage and also the costumes and accessories.

Instead of being considered as just another circus company in a declining industry, Cirque redefined its market by fusing art and entertainment. The company's target market was mainly educated and sophisticated, opera going adults and families as opposed to the traditional circuses which were mainly for children.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The F1 circus has evolved to become 'cirque du soleil'...enjoy the show or just don't go there. Is that a reasonable analogy?
    To continue the analogy, "You gets what you pay for"...and it ain't cheap. They'll charge/spend all that the market will bear. Just don't think that they have any ulterior motive (eg safety, road car spin-offs etc) that isn't purely incidental to selling you their show.

Who?

UOP shadow - my bad.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    UOP shadow - my bad.
    The only F1 car that I have sat in.

UOP shadow - my bad.
    I thought so. Don Nichols, the man behind UOP sadly died earlier this year.

While the current structure of Formula 1 doesn't encourage privateers, Haas excepted, the barriers to entry also keep out the likes of Andrea Moda, quite simply the most hapless Formula 1 team in the history of the sport.

Whether or not the new engine regs proposed for the next generation will prove attractive to the likes of Cosworth remains to be seen. I'm not convinced that enhancements to the internal combustion engine and removal of the MGU-H is enough of a change, or is even a change in the right direction.

Sports car racing, or at least LMP1 seems to have disappeared up its own hybrid system, and it seems that Toyota, who have just received a visit from none other than Fernando Alonso, now have the entire playground to themselves. Everyone else has gone home. I'm not sure how much of a spectacle this year's Le Mans 24 hour race will be. I don't suppose it will matter, because nobody goes there for the race anyway.

Perhaps the answer for Liberty is to market each Grand Prix as a stag party venue. That's it! Sorted. I've single-handedly saved Grand Prix racing.

I'm sure I have Chase Carey's number somewhere...
    Last edited by Backward point; 9th November 2017 at 08:56.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So fínally we have arrived at teh conclusion that F1 is not the least bit about the racing anymore. Well, actually, the least bit is the racing.

I lóve the analogue qith cirque de soleil.

That comes to Andalucia quite regularly and been there, done that, not repeating.
    A totally anachronistic family circus comes to our village and been thre, done that, repeating.
    The comparison is like a new smartwatch versus a vintage handwinder.
    Both are time keepers but...

Back to this weekend´s race.
    Have a rather busy dating schedule which started this morning. Mountain love baked müesli buns for my lunch with coastal love. From there it gets... complicated and the F1, well; with the Campionship over and the racing a rudimentary part of the show, I hope I remember to set the timer of the tele to record the summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    So fínally we have arrived at teh conclusion that F1 is not the least bit about the racing anymore. Well, actually, the least bit is the racing.

I lóve the analogue qith cirque de soleil.
    That's not exactly true, is it. No-one has said that it's not about the racing, just that there are topics to discuss other than just the on-track action. There's a distinct difference.

For example, F1 can very fairly (IMO) be described as a circus - it's a traveling show in which people hope and expect to be entertained, in its broadest terms. I was fortunate enough to have pit passes with a guided tour of the McLaren garage a few years back at the British GP, even the McLaren engineer that showed my friend and I around described, voluntarily, F1 as the largest traveling family circus in the world. The word "family" was used because despite the occasional spat and disagreement between teams they're all there for the same reason, as we walked around our guide was constantly greeting and handshaking other teams personnel like they were old friends, probably because they actually were.

F1, for me, is about the entire package. The racing, the drivers and teams, the technology, the speed, how the cars look and sound, the politics, the history, the circuits, where the sport has come from and where it's going to etc etc. Much like a circus has its many elements, in fact.
    Last edited by CardShark; 9th November 2017 at 15:40.

Q1...Oops!

Blog Entries
    Glad he's okay.

Now... let's see if he can win drive the car to the front of the field. Last time it didn't work that well, due to the set up of his car in Mexico (and damaged!). Tomorrow his car will be shiny and brand new with the correct set up for overtaking, I suppose.

M

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Glad he's okay.

Now... let's see if he can win drive the car to the front of the field. Last time it didn't work that well, due to the set up of his car in Mexico (and damaged!). Tomorrow his car will be shiny and brand new with the correct set up for overtaking, I suppose.

M

With the WC in the bag, I think we will see Lewis drive very "freely" tomorrow. Defo top 5, which means at least 13-15 on track overtakes.

Pleased for Bottas, hopefully he can convert it in to a win,

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    This puts a bit of pressure on Bottas now to see if he can deliver from the front with a hard charging Ferrari right on his chuff.

Blog Entries

Formula 1 2017

Just read this. There's something rotten when you officially publish a statement like this about your business partner! (Can't get it posted, just the link)

Last edited by thieuster; 12th November 2017 at 07:50.

The main Redbull team have been treating Renault in a similar fashion for years.

Renault do seem to have an issue, however it has been suggested that all of these failures help the Renault team points tally

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    The main Redbull team have been treating Renault in a similar fashion for years.
    Since 2014, when the engine regulations changed, and Renault supplied them with power units which were well short of their opposition in both power and reliability.

Renault cut their racing investment and the engine development department during the V8 era, when Red Bull were dominant with their engines at a time when, because the engine regs were quite prescriptive and stable, the three power unit suppliers had almost achieved parity. This left Renault short of development capability when the hybrid era began in 2014, resulting in Red Bull becoming uncompetitive. Naturally, the Red Bull hierarchy turned on Renault and eventually brought in a third party, Mario Ilien (who had been involved in the development of the Mercedes hybrid power unit) to improve Renault's offering. The resulting power unit is now badged as a TAG Heuer.

Renault have now returned to Formula 1 as a constructor, and in order to become competitive have been forced to invest heavily in engine development. At a time when the "works" Renault team is becoming more competitive, and Red Bull are threatening the Mercedes/Ferrari dominance at the front, Toro Rosso are suffering reliability problems, centred around the same MGU-H unit that their own team and Red Bull are using. Which Renault feel must be the result of Toro Rosso's installation or management of the power unit. These problems have manifested themselves late in the season, when the individual power unit components may have reached the end of their working life.

Next year, Toro Rosso will have Honda power units. One of two things will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Renault do seem to have an issue, however it has been suggested that all of these failures help the Renault team points tally
    I'm sure that the fact that Renault and Toro Rosso are scrapping over sixth place in the Constructors' Championship is just a coincidence.

What a very enjoyable race .

No more comments as I do not want to spoil it for anyone who did not see it live.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    What a very enjoyable race .

No more comments as I do not want to spoil it for anyone who did not see it live.

^^^ indeed ^^^ (not spoiling)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^ indeed ^^^ (not spoiling)
    Thought it was really good too hence being on the PS4 F1 2017 since!

I turned down the chance of being at Interlagos this weekend. Foolish boy.

Master
    Excellent race. Lewis won driver of the day but for me it was DR. Most of Lewis passes were under power coming up the hill to the start finish line where the Mercedes engine proved mighty, but Daniel did most of his under breaking going into the first corner.
    Still, a superb race nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Excellent race. Lewis won driver of the day but for me it was DR. Most of Lewis passes were under power coming up the hill to the start finish line where the Mercedes engine proved mighty, but Daniel did most of his under breaking going into the first corner.
    Still, a superb race nonetheless.

Perhaps because LH didn't have to try to stick on up the inside to pass. Did DR manage to get pass MV?

Friedrich Nietzsche

For those who might prefer a rather more eloquent and less blinkered report of the race:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/re...ntent=BrazilGP

A great write up. So absorbing in fact that I almost scrolled unseeingly past the great pictures that always accompany his piece. It might just be me but the Motorsport photos always seem to have their own distinctive style.

Master
    Perhaps because LH didn't have to try to stick on up the inside to pass. Did DR manage to get pass MV?
    You are missing the point Andy. I think you will agree that it is a lot easier to pass someone when your car carries much more speed than your opponents, than it is to keep swallowing the brave pills lap after lap and outbreaking your opponent to gain the place.

Master
    I did love Alonso in this race:

Pit: Perez behind you
    Alonso: ...get Massa...
    Pit: Hamilton coming up
    Alonso: Massa!
    Pit: We're going to pit you
    Alonso: Massa!?

He had only one thing on his mind all day, drove the socks off it and had a great battle.
    Very nice touch to see him wait to clap in the Brazilian.

You are missing the point Andy. I think you will agree that it is a lot easier to pass someone when your car carries much more speed than your opponents, than it is to keep swallowing the brave pills lap after lap and outbreaking your opponent to gain the place.

No, I didn't miss the point.

Your point was that DR overtakes were more difficult because of the limitations of his car. My point was LH did not have to make these risky overtakes because his car was better. This does not mean LH couldn't have if it was necessary.

It's one thing to make a iffy overtake because you have to, it's another because just because you can.

Imagine the uproar if LH had tried a risky (Vettelish) overtake and wiped both himself and say MV off the track.

Friedrich Nietzsche

You are your usual obtuse fanboy. No one -please read this again slowly- NO ONE is saying LH doesn’t have the ability to pass in difficult conditions. Quite the opposite really, that is where he excels.

But THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS DISCUSSED.

Because of the power advantage he only had to put his foot down and the car did the passing in Sao Paolo. So whilst his result was excellent, finishing 4th was something Bottas could have done.
    DR in contrast finished just behind his teammate despite having to drive at the limit of his car’s capabilities. So his drive was comparatively better this time.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

There was a rumour (I may have heard it on Sky) that Hamilton's engine was actually a development engine for 2018. As I said, just a rumour, and no confirmation of how much of the power unit was/is 2018 spec. He will use the power unit again in Abu Dhabi.

As explained by Mark Hughes, there was very little between the Mercedes and Ferrari over the course of the Interlagos lap, with the Mercedes having the edge in Sectors one and three (where power counts) and the Ferrari recovering the deficit in the middle sector, which is all about balance, mechanical and aero grip, turn-in and traction. The Ferrari is also kinder to its tyres, and the net result was that over the course of a lap although Hamilton could get close to Raikkonen, he didn't have enough of an advantage to get past, as by that point he his tyres were beyond their best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You are your usual obtuse fanboy. No one -please read this again slowly- NO ONE is saying LH doesn’t have the ability to pass in difficult conditions. Quite the opposite really, that is where he excels.

But THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS DISCUSSED.

Because of the power advantage he only had to put his foot down and the car did the passing in Sao Paolo. So whilst his result was excellent, finishing 4th was something Bottas could have done.
    DR in contrast finished just behind his teammate despite having to drive at the limit of his car’s capabilities. So his drive was comparatively better this time.
    Yep, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Yep, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Your opinion is noted.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Simple question for you Andy. Did Daniel have to work harder to get through the field than Lewis?

Hamilton's engine was so new that he hasn't had a chance to reclaim the VAT yet...

Hamilton's engine was so new that he hasn't had a chance to reclaim the VAT yet...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Simple question for you Andy. Did Daniel have to work harder to get through the field than Lewis?

I wouldn't say he worked harder, both were flat out on the edge for nearly the entirety of the race. So Daniel had to make a few desperate lunges to make up places, I wouldn't say he had to work harder.

Didn't Ricciardo make two stops? One under the Safety Car, which, being at the beginning of the race, with the cars all together, disadvantaged him by putting him even further behind the pack. With the wick turned down on all Renault engines, any overtaking moves were of necessity going to have to be "brave", and require the co-operation of the victim.

Didn't Ricciardo make two stops? One under the Safety Car, which, being at the beginning of the race, with the cars all together, disadvantaged him by putting him even further behind the pack. With the wick turned down on all Renault engines, any overtaking moves were of necessity going to have to be "brave", and require the co-operation of the victim.
    He did make two stops as you say but it hardly disadvantaged him as it only put him behind Hamilton and he was back in the tail of the pack before the safety car went in.

Blog Entries
    Fresher tyres for more of the race too I'd say.

Of course. He drove very well, but racing is not about how hard you have to work or how brave you have to be, it about position at the end of the race and your lap times during it.

DR started 15th and finished 6th and net gain of 9. LH started 19th and finished 4th and net gain of 15.

But a question for you - who made the greatest number of overtakes during the race (on track)?, who posted the fastest times, who scored the greater number of points? This is what ultimately will be remembered. Also had LH actually achieved to overtake Kimi he would have only been the 3rd driver in History of F1 to get a podium position starting from the pit lane. So not that bad an achievement.

Alas some people have such a negative view of Hamilton that they will look for reason not to give credit where its due, just as some "fan-boys" will always big up his achievements - which currently stand at

4 world championships (with 2 manufacturers)
    62 wins - with a better win ratio that Schumy
    71 pole positions from 207 starts (only 4 drivers have better % stats)
    116 Podium positions out of 207 starts

Plus don't forget he has done this without team orders. Unlike some drivers I can think of.

As I said DR drove well, however in all honestly surely you would have expected him to at least get on the tail of MV, given the cars in front of him, just as you would have expected LH to at least make it up to the gear box of the Red Bulls. The fact that LH made it passed both of them, makes his performance even better. Had DR managed to get past MV and challenge the Ferrari's/Mercs then it would have been a stellar drive, but he didn't.

Anyway off the Abu Dhabi.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Formula 1 2017

Of course. He drove very well, but racing is not about how hard you have to work or how brave you have to be, it about position at the end of the race and your lap times during it.

DR started 15th and finished 6th and net gain of 9. LH started 19th and finished 4th and net gain of 15.

But a question for you - who made the greatest number of overtakes during the race (on track)?, who posted the fastest times, who scored the greater number of points? This is what ultimately will be remembered. Also had LH actually achieved to overtake Kimi he would have only been the 3rd driver in History of F1 to get a podium position starting from the pit lane. So not that bad an achievement.

Alas some people have such a negative view of Hamilton that they will look for reason not to give credit where its due, just as some "fan-boys" will always big up his achievements - which currently stand at

4 world championships (with 2 manufacturers)
    62 wins - with a better win ratio that Schumy
    71 pole positions from 207 starts (only 4 drivers have better % stats)
    116 Podium positions out of 207 starts

Plus don't forget he has done this without team orders. Unlike some drivers I can think of.

As I said DR drove well, however in all honestly surely you would have expected him to at least get on the tail of MV, given the cars in front of him, just as you would have expected LH to at least make it up to the gear box of the Red Bulls. The fact that LH made it passed both of them, makes his performance even better. Had DR managed to get past MV and challenge the Ferrari's/Mercs then it would have been a stellar drive, but he didn't.

Anyway off the Abu Dhabi.
    Spend a few minutes going back over this thread and you will see that I have very often complimented and defended Hamilton. I don’t see him as a cockwomble, I do see him as a fantastic and worthy 4 time world champion.
    Regards the last race, I’m not saying Lewis didn’t have a fantastic drive, it was clear to see that he did and I for one was willing him on to pass Kimi to get on the podium, but I stand by what I said, Lewis journey to the front of the pack was easier than Daniels.
    I could be wrong but I think Lewis overtake of Daniel was when Daniel was involved in an accident and his car spun. Also Daniel was given a team order to let Max through because they were on very different strategies, so not quite as clear cut as you make out above.
    Just to reiterate, BOTH drivers had excellent races, but IMHO Daniel had to work harder for the places he gained so for me, he would have been my driver of the day.

Safe trip.

Master
    A great servant to F1, but I cannot help thinking 5 years too late.
    Fixed.

A competent pedaler and a nice enough chap but certainly for the last few years has had no fight or hunger in him. Also embarrassingly bad in the wet. It's been indicative of the lack of ambition at Williams that they've stuck with him so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Fixed.

A competent pedaler and a nice enough chap but certainly for the last few years has had no fight or hunger in him. Also embarrassingly bad in the wet. It's been indicative of the lack of ambition at Williams that they've stuck with him so long.
    Harsh but mostly fair.

Was he ever the same driver after his near life threatening accident? Certainly his pairing with Alonso at Ferrari was the start of a dramatic decline in his career.

I'll always have the utmost respect for him as a person though. He always appeared to be very decent and I greatly admired his reaction on the podium in Brazil 2008 to losing the championship in the most cruel way possible. I don't think I've ever seen a driver in the modern era display so much class and passion in such heartbreaking circumstances.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Was he ever the same driver after his near life threatening accident?
    He was mighty for a few races after he returned IIRC.

Master
    I suspect all those years playing second fiddle to Michael took their toll. Maybe like Nico he only had a one year push in him.

He clearly still enjoys racing though. Expect to see him in Indycars, US sportscars or a domestic series.

Spend a few minutes going back over this thread and you will see that I have very often complimented and defended Hamilton. I don’t see him as a cockwomble, I do see him as a fantastic and worthy 4 time world champion.
    Regards the last race, I’m not saying Lewis didn’t have a fantastic drive, it was clear to see that he did and I for one was willing him on to pass Kimi to get on the podium, but I stand by what I said, Lewis journey to the front of the pack was easier than Daniels.
    I could be wrong but I think Lewis overtake of Daniel was when Daniel was involved in an accident and his car spun. Also Daniel was given a team order to let Max through because they were on very different strategies, so not quite as clear cut as you make out above.
    Just to reiterate, BOTH drivers had excellent races, but IMHO Daniel had to work harder for the places he gained so for me, he would have been my driver of the day.

Safe trip.
    You are right, LH passed DR either during DR off or when DR made first first pit stop.

As for my "negativity" comment, that was directed more to SJ who also chose "contributed" to our discussion. We at least seem to agree that both drivers had excellent finishes.

Alas I am not off to Abu Dhabi, I meant the F1 circus, and hopefully another exciting season closer.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I suspect all those years playing second fiddle to Michael took their toll. Maybe like Nico he only had a one year push in him.

He clearly still enjoys racing though. Expect to see him in Indycars, US sportscars or a domestic series.

It would not surprise me if we did not see a return of Nico, but not in Mercedes.

Friedrich Nietzsche

It would not surprise me if we did not see a return of Nico, but not in Mercedes.
    It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't return, either ;-)

As for DR vs LH in the ability to overtake I'd place the Aussie over the Brit, I've mentioned before that I think that DR is the best on the grid and stand by that now. I can't comment on the race in Brazil as I only watched the highlights, and that with other distractions in the background.

When LH has started at the back of the grid he's very rarely failed to push through, power advantage or otherwise. If the Merc truly is aero-biased to run in clean air as we're lead to believe that's no mean feat. DR, on the other hand, has had more opportunities to prove his ability to overtake, especially with the current grid penalty system. With the power disadvantage of the Renault engine to take on Merc and Ferrari power takes more than just a decent chassis under braking, it also requires a deft touch with the left pedal, the vision to spot and create opportunities and the ability to execute a clean manoeuvre - this is where DR really shines. Mark Webber was known to be able to exert more pressure on the brake pedal than his fellow competitors, DR has the control.