closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1937

Thread: Formula 1 2017

Great result! Love Alonsos fastest lap near the end, just imagine if he had had a front running car the last few years.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Kudos to Hamilton and Mercedes there, that's going to upset the Hamilton critics!

Don't expect we would ever see that from Vettel and Ferrari, remember Multi 21 with Red Bull?

I think Kimi has earned a new contract for 2018.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 30th July 2017 at 15:09.

Cars that are impossible to overtake = boring race, and that's exactly how it turned out.

This year's cars create even more turbulence, as they're larger, and produce more downforce. Hungary is a relatively narrow circuit, with lots of slow corners. So you're not going to get much overtaking, and the race is won and lost on Saturday.

Alonso's sixth place and fastest lap right at the end might have a bearing on his intentions for next season. Did anybody see him relaxing in a deck chair next to the mural of him - er - relaxing in a deck chair? I have enormous respect for Alonso, who's talents are clearly being squandered at McLaren, but he's managed to retain a sense of humour.

Hamilton deserves some respect for letting Bottas back through right at the end, with Verstappen closing in so quickly. Max did a good job of damage limitation after clumsily hitting Ricciardo, but I suspect there will be some fallout from that particular incident.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    This year's cars create even more turbulence, as they're larger, and produce more downforce. Hungary is a relatively narrow circuit, with lots of slow corners. So you're not going to get much overtaking, and the race is won and lost on Saturday.

Alonso's sixth place and fastest lap right at the end might have a bearing on his intentions for next season. Did anybody see him relaxing in a deck chair next to the mural of him - er - relaxing in a deck chair? I have enormous respect for Alonso, who's talents are clearly being squandered at McLaren, but he's managed to retain a sense of humour.

Hamilton deserves some respect for letting Bottas back through right at the end, with Verstappen closing in so quickly. Max did a good job of damage limitation after clumsily hitting Ricciardo, but I suspect there will be some fallout from that particular incident.
    Summed up nicely. Alonso this year has been great and the deck chair relaxing at the end was nice to see.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Cars that are impossible to overtake = boring race, and that's exactly how it turned out.
    Summed up nicely. Alonso this year has been great and the deck chair relaxing at the end was nice to see.

Question - would Vettel (or Ferrari) allow Kimi back through if in a similar situation to LH?

If you answered Yes, and the championship was still being contested, then you are delusional and should seek care in the community.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Nice teamwork from both Mercedes drivers. I really wish we could see more "Racing" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Question - would Vettel (or Ferrari) allow Kimi back through if in a similar situation to LH?

If you answered Yes, and the championship was still being contested, then you are delusional and should seek care in the community.

Give it a rest. Please.

Master
    Give it a rest. Please.
    I tend to agree with Andyg.

Looking forward to Spa and Monza now.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 30th July 2017 at 18:02.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Give it a rest. Please.
    Deaf ears.

As to the team cooperation, that was simply good team cooperation.
    Management told Bottas to concede his position under the condition that he would get it back if Hamilton did not succeed.
    Bottas complied.
    Hamilton was wise to hold up his end of the deal in the light of the second half of the season ahead.
    End of story.

Apart from it not being much of a race, there were several awesome drives. If only a more exciting formula could be found to heat up this high tech sharp end of car racing.

About that high tech end it is as interesting as predictable that Mercedes will be joining Audi, BMW and Porsche in F-E.
    Fiat is lined up too, although with the Alfa Romeo brand.

I thought it was Alfa or Maserati branding

As has already been said, not the most exciting of races though I see that as being more down to the circuit than the cars - Hungary has never been the provider of a pass-fest and most probably never will.

Both Ferrari and Mercedes got the team orders, or lack of, bang on. Ferrari were wise to the situation knowing that it would be difficult for either Merc or KR to overtake their championship leader even with his wonky steering wheel, and Merc allowed their faster driver on the day to have a crack of the whip. All 4 drivers, and both teams, did the best that they could do under the circumstances, and the actions of both LH and VB were extremely admirable.

McLaren were due a motivational shot in the arm and it was great to see both drivers score points, FA relaxing in that deckchair (Brazil 2015?) just needed an ice-cream to complete the look.. Perhaps he had one and Kimi swiped it from him.

Despite Ferrari's 1-2 and an extension of SV's lead coming in to the Summer break they still maintained their complete media shutdown. With the Grande Formaggio Sergio Marchionne present the stakes, and pressure, must have been immense so it would have been good to have heard an emotional Italian's take on it all. Kimi seems to be a bit more chatty this season, perhaps he's trying to re-address the balance...
    Last edited by CardShark; 30th July 2017 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Deaf ears.

As to the team cooperation, that was simply good team cooperation.
    Management told Bottas to concede his position under the condition that he would get it back if Hamilton did not succeed.
    Bottas complied.
    Hamilton was wise to hold up his end of the deal in the light of the second half of the season ahead.
    End of story.
    As well as just being good-old team players it could be said that both drivers had ulterior motives for complying with team instruction. VB has yet to sign on the line for next season and is very much wise enough to know how to get that deal and LH needs to keep his teammate on side. There's every chance that VB will be in a position to pay him back later in the season and that payback could well be worth more than the 3 points lost today.

Well what a mundane race IMHO.

Nice to see some teamwork but not a race to get the heart racing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was Alfa or Maserati branding
    Marketing wise it would perhaps even be better to keep it simply Fiat.

Marketing wise it would perhaps even be better to keep it simply Fiat.

Or Chrysler or Lancia.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The gp may have been crap but at least the post-race interviews were a bit more interesting.

The Hulk later responded calling K-Mag "nasty", "arsehole" and my favourite, "wannabe Verstappen".

Surely it is time to bin the circuits where overtaking is almost impossible - Hungary, Monaco, any others?
    F1 should stick to racing, and another formula could use these circuits for processions

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    The gp may have been crap but at least the post-race interviews were a bit more interesting.

The Hulk later responded calling K-Mag "nasty", "arsehole" and my favourite, "wannabe Verstappen".
    In case you need it clarifying......

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Surely it is time to bin the circuits where overtaking is almost impossible - Hungary, Monaco, any others?
    F1 should stick to racing, and another formula could use these circuits for processions
    It would be a massive knee jerk reaction to get rid of Hungary based on this year's race. In the past it was known as a boring circuit but there's been some great races there in more recent years.

Hungary has two (2014 & 2015) of the top ten most exciting races rated by fans since 2008 according to F1Fanatic.com and some races from other years also appear in the top 100.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/rate-the-...natic-top-100/

The problem is the new aero formula that makes overtaking extremely difficult on circuits like this but the technical rules won't stay the same forever and there's other circuits that I'd drop before Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    The problem is the new aero formula that makes overtaking extremely difficult on circuits like this but the technical rules won't stay the same forever and there's other circuits that I'd drop before Hungary.
    My thoughts exactly. We have three reasonably matched teams at the front so six cars that can get close to each other but seem to get stuck when in the low 1.x seconds behind. Depending on whether the guy who came out of turn 1 first is slightly quicker or slightly slower they will either gradually spread out or end up processing around close but not quite close enough. I like the new cars on Saturday, less so on Sunday.

edit:
    p.s. I have no real solution. It is a combination of the design rules for the cars (and tyres) and the race rules that deliver the 'style' of racing. Every time a rule is changed the intention is to do as much positive as possible with the least negative impact. It is human nature to expect too much improvement and the laws of the universe dictate that the negative impacts will be worse/wider than expected.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 2nd August 2017 at 14:52.

Day 2 of the mid-season Test at the Hungaroring, and the headlines were naturally all about Robert Kubica:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...%5B0%5D=10&s=1

Although Lando Norris, driving a McLaren as part of his prize for winning the Autosport Young Driver award last year (note that I have refrained from suggesting that second prize was two test days in a McLaren) also put in an impressive performance.

If you're of a squeamish disposition, don't click on this link, which is a picture of Robert Kubica's right arm, taken at a press conference today:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/...d=14139138&i=5

I'm not sure how conclusive the Test was, as there aren't many details about which new parts/aero were being used. Fastest time yesterday was set by Charles Leclerc, who impressed in the Formula 2 race on Saturday, and currently has a 50 point lead in the Championship.

That's it for the summer break now. Teams don't even have access to their emails until a few days before the circus reconvenes in Spa towards the end of August.

Summer's over. Or at least, Formula 1's summer break is over, but to soften the blow and ease those "back to work blues" the circus reconvenes at Spa Francorchamps, the antidote to the ever-increasing number of characterless identikit Tilkedromes.

The big news in the run-up to the race is that Kimi Raikkonen will occupy the second seat at Ferrari next year. I use the term "second" seat, as Kimi's confirmation has led commentators to conclude that Sebastian Vettel will remain as team leader. Most observers were led to believe that Ferrari would announce their driver line-up at Monza, and pre-empting that has caught many off-guard. Vettel's re-signing was believed to be conditional upon Raikkonen remaining as his team-mate. The speculation now is whether Vettel will remain with Ferrari for 2018 only (he is believed to want to keep his options open, as there may be the possibility of a Mercedes seat for 2019) or commit for a further three years.

Back to the present, and the tyre choices for Spa are as follows:

Ferrari and Red Bull both look confident in their abilities to manage the softer compounds. You will note that Pirelli are supplying their three softest compounds, which may come as a surprise given the failures which affected Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg in recent years. These choices were made several weeks ago, so don't take them as any sort of indication that the teams expect dry, sunny weather over the course of the weekend. This is Spa, and the only question is when - not if - it rains.

Ferrari and Red Bull both look confident in their abilities to manage the softer compounds.
    Red Bull certainly appear to favour the ultra - a sign that they're confident in their tyre management or are they keeping an option open for an additional pit-stop? For a fast aero-led circuit I'm surprised that the ultras are so predominant.

I'm going for a Merc 1-2, then Fiat followed by Red Bull

Master
    Nice to see Kimi continuing, it's good to have a grumpy old man in a sport increasingly dominated by spotty youth buffed to a corporate gloss.

Seriously, I never thought I'd hear myself say "Kimi is one of the sport's characters".

Really looking forward to the rest of the season can’t wait to see how it progresses

Master
    looking forward to the racing this weekend after the summer hiatus
    can't wait to see how the season unfolds from here

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    looking forward to the racing this weekend after the summer hiatus
    can't wait to see how the season unfolds from here
    Indeed. For a start there are several "proper" circuits to come: Spa, Monza, Singapore isn't bad as street races go, Austin, which is probably the best track that Hermann Tilke has designed so far, and of course Suzuka. Although every one of these apart from Singapore is a "power" circuit, so will hand an advantage to Mercedes.

No further moves on the "who goes where for 2018" front, the only item of any significance being an announcement that James Key will remain at Toro Rosso, and that the team will also continue to be powered by Renault. Driver-wise, the keys to solving the jigsaw are Vettel and Alonso, and there are rumours that Alonso might yet find himself back at Ferrari if Vettel moves to Mercedes, but this is regarded as unlikely. In my view, Vettel will stay at Ferrari for 2018 at least, as he has an unfulfilled ambition to emulate Michael Schumacher and win at least one drivers' title for Ferrari.

Speculation, rumour and uninformed guesswork will be rife during the next few weeks.

Master
    The other thing to consider is that Ferrari are highly likely to run into grid penalties; both drivers have used all four of their turbos so far, and although it's possible that they won't have a blowup, they'll have to be lucky to avoid this scenario or just run the engines at lower power/stress levels.

I thought Ferrari had changed parts to rotate them, and thus they still have the 4 available?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I thought Ferrari had changed parts to rotate them, and thus they still have the 4 available?
    All the four are still available, certainly, but they only have a certain life. It's a matter of debate as to how much life remains, but you can be reasonably confident that they'd not have been replacing parts (from a very limited stock) unless they had to.

Ferrari state that they've somehow improved the reliability of the turbos, so that in effect they've extended the life, but I'm sceptical that they can survive the second half of the season reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    It's a matter of debate as to how much life remains, but you can be reasonably confident that they'd not have been replacing parts (from a very limited stock) unless they had to.
    Rotating them isn't the same as having to replace them, it's just a different approach. They now have four half worn turbos instead of two new ones and two worn out ones.

Whether this approach is better or worse remains to be seen.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The other thing to consider is that Ferrari are highly likely to run into grid penalties; both drivers have used all four of their turbos so far, and although it's possible that they won't have a blowup, they'll have to be lucky to avoid this scenario or just run the engines at lower power/stress levels.
    Euh, so it is not ´are highly likely´ nor ´have used all four turbos´. They can still replace all of those four turbos with used ones and untill those actually blow up that new ones will grid penalties come into place.
    You claims read more like Hamilton fan wishful thinking to me.

As to the wear and lower pressure, I fail to see why that would be any different from say .... Mercedes whom have been replacing bits because they were at the end of their Latin and there is no reason to assume that the replacement parts will last any longer than the ones they replaced.
    If anything Mercedes has PROVEN to need to replace bits whereas on Ferrari´s part that is an assumption.

We will see soon enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think, hope, that we will see a marked improvement in Honda´s performance. they seemed to be on the right track with Ilmore and a change in development evaluation so the pause might suit them a lot.
    Fingers crossed as we can sure use some extra excitement in F1.

You claims read more like Hamilton fan wishful thinking to me.
    Why? It reads to me as a discussion of various team strategies in best deploying their resources.

As to the wear and lower pressure, I fail to see why that would be any different from say .... Mercedes whom have been replacing bits because they were at the end of their Latin and there is no reason to assume that the replacement parts will last any longer than the ones they replaced.
    If anything Mercedes has PROVEN to need to replace bits whereas on Ferrari´s part that is an assumption.
    Agreed.

Master
    I understand that once an engine, turbo etc has been issued it can only then be modified for reliability, whereas with the demise of the token system you can develop away to your heart's content prior to that. If that's the case (it used to be, but may have changed for this year), then you'd not want to bring all of your turbos out and then cycle them, you'd use them as sparingly as possible so you could bring out an evo2, evo3 etc version.

I understand that once an engine, turbo etc has been issued it can only then be modified for reliability, whereas with the demise of the token system you can develop away to your heart's content prior to that. If that's the case (it used to be, but may have changed for this year), then you'd not want to bring all of your turbos out and then cycle them, you'd use them as sparingly as possible so you could bring out an evo2, evo3 etc version.
    That depends whether you are Mercedes, Ferrari or Honda.

Renault are bringing some revised engine components to Spa, apparently. Along with Monza it's the most demanding circuit of the year for engines.

On the matter of Ferrari, they have, as already stated, brought their engine components into a rotation system. Kimi Raikkonen had a turbocharger fail in Bahrain, but I'm not aware of any other component failures - indeed, Sebastian Vettel's internal combustion engine which he used in Baku had already done the first four races of the year, winning two of them.

Last season Williams tried to run the whole season on four engines, to save costs, rather than the five allowed. I can't remember if they managed to achieve it. Next year's allowance will be three of each component.

Cheers..
    Jase

Oops! Almost forgot. F1 practice on 4 (UK)

FP1 has just been red flagged, as Felipe Massa has gone off at Malmedy and damaged not only the car but the tyre wall. He was passed fit by the FIA doctors yesterday, having recovered from the bout of vertigo which kept him out of the last race in Hungary.

He has wiped out the front and rear suspension on the left side of the Williams, so there's a lot of work for the crew (which this weekend includes Guy Martin) to get it repaired in time for FP2.

Master
    I've not had chance to see any of the practice today, had a quick look on the BBC website for details
    Looks like Guy Martin is working with the Williams crew as part of a new TV show

Guy Martin at Williams to be aired on 17th Sept?

How can F1 say they are concerned about costs, then dish out stupid fines

How can F1 say they are concerned about costs, then dish out stupid fines

To be fair, Williams do have "previous" when it comes to inadvertently using the wrong tyres. Or, as in the case of Valtteri Bottas a couple of years ago, a mixture of tyre compounds at the same time. Which led to this from Sniff Petrol:

Ferrari have confirmed that Sebastian Vettel has been signed for a further three years.

Power unit elements used prior to this race:

https://www.pitpass.com/59882/Belgia...-Unit-elements

Which doesn't really tell us anything new, other than it seems that Williams and Force India make their drivers pay for their own elements.

Ferrari have confirmed that Sebastian Vettel has been signed for a further three years.
    No surprise there. Ferrari are on a role, he'd be happy that Kimi has been signed up again even if it is just for another year, and a move to Merc with Lewis in the other seat was never likely.

Ferrari looking strong in the practice sessions, especially Kimi. Quali looking like it could be close.

The Mercs are looking very racy today. Good to see Palmer get into Q3, maybe because he actually knows the track?

I do feel for Alonso at times, but fortunately it passes very quickly I see his face and that slapped arse expression.

Friedrich Nietzsche