closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1937

Thread: Formula 1 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    oh this question. Well this is based upon your other comments directed towards Hamilton. Was it not you who first called him a cockwomble. I think it was.

Therefore if the reason was not his ability to drive fast, win races and championships, then what was it, that caused you to judge him as a cockwomble.

Not pathetic and small minded stuff like this I hope.

being out of the car will hardly win you a F1 WC I think.

You posted this in 2015. After which he won his 3rd WC, was runner up in 2016, gained to highest number of Poles, by anyone, and has now passed 70 GPs - second only to MS.

But still a cockwomble in your small and narrow mind, which seems to be based upon his clothes, earrings and something that happened at Wimbledon -FFS!

I accept I am a fan boy, just as I was a fan boy of Clark, Hunt and Mansell, simply because I love watching them drive, race and win. Ditto DM and Ocon on the current grid. Max less so because he is already turning into SV - another driver who simply expects drivers to get out of his way. Two wins in 55 starts isnt a great record is it.

I think that this post demonstrates beyond question that there is only one "small and narrow mind" here, and it's very small and narrow indeed.

Do us a favour, and keep away from this thread unless you can actually contribute something other than yet another display of your blinkered devotion to Lewis Hamilton. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I think that this post demonstrates beyond question that there is only one "small and narrow mind" here, and it's very small and narrow indeed.

Do us a favour, and keep away from this thread unless you can actually contribute something other than yet another display of your blinkered devotion to Lewis Hamilton. Please.

Says the man (I think), who came out with this gem.

It's much easier to be the "best" driver on the grid when you have a car with a significant advantage. In the car, I have no problem with Lewis Hamilton, but out of the car, and in the presence of microphones and cameras he's a self-obsessed, humourless ####.

He also seems to attract the kind of knuckle-draggers who followed Mansell, and I agree with the criticisms of the moustachioed Brummie above.
    Oh the irony, but unless you become a moderator, I suggest you jog on.

Perhaps if you (and others) focused on F1, the cars, the performance of the drivers/teams, etc and stopped making it personal about drivers (or their fanboys for that matter) than I am sure this unpleasantness would be avoided.

I am more than happy to focus on F1, rather than what a driver looks like, how he dresses outside the paddock, etc, because it's not relevant, but perhaps that just me.

Nice use of the word "us", btw.
    Last edited by Andyg; 17th October 2017 at 19:15.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

A whole post without a spelling mistake. Well done you!

Damn, I just spotted one. Still, well done for making an effort.

The use of "us" is to show that there are several of "us" who have the same views. It denotes plural, or more than one.
    Last edited by Backward point; 17th October 2017 at 20:02.

Do
    Not
    Engage.

For the first time in a long, long time (if ever!) I'm not looking forward to an F1 race.

I, as have many others here and elsewhere, have been so enthralled by the Lewis vs Seb battle this season that to think that the former could win the DC in Texas feels like a bit of a downer. The Constructor's Championship is as good as tied up and Lewis is within a gnat's of the DC, I know it's not over until it's over however it really does feel as though we've been robbed of an epic battle, like the rug has been pulled out from under it or the killer has been revealed before the last page of the novel has been turned. I can't blame Ferrari for it is what it is, yet I selfishly want the decider to be held in Abu Dhabi with the eventual points winner to be no more than a tenth or two in front of their adversary when the chequered flag is waved.

I'd rather Lewis won over Vettel as I believe him to have been the better driver this season, he has (along with the assistance of the team) fixed his poor start issues from last season and he has been mentally stronger, I just don't want him to win on Sunday! Though they wouldn't admit it I'd be sure that Liberty Media feel the same.

In other news, Kubica has completed a second "productive" test session with Williams and Aston Martin has signed up a former F1 Ferrari engine chief to assist with its evaluation of designing and entering its own engine should the new regulations be favorable.
    Last edited by CardShark; 17th October 2017 at 20:28.

I agree. It's a decent circuit, and usually produces a good race, but this year Ferrari have dropped the ball in recent races, and both of their drivers eliminated themselves at the first corner in Singapore, which should have seen a decent points haul for both drivers and kept the championships alive.

Wouldn't have happened in Bernie's day.

Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton have benefitted, and on the basis that to finish first you first have to finish, they've done a good job.

The main interest this weekend will be whether Hamilton can clinch the drivers' title, and Brendon Hartley's performance - word is that there may be a drive available for him next year.

Carlos Sainz makes his Renault debut. He probably suffered from having Max Verstappen alongside him at Toro Rosso, and was more than equal to the young Dutchman. I wonder what Sainz could achieve in a Red Bull? He's one of those drivers who invariably races better than he qualifies, and often produces a result beyond expectations. He should do well alongside the experienced but under-rated Nico Hulkenberg, himself on the verge of an unwelcome record for completing the greatest number of Grands Prix without visiting the podium. Renault is still emerging from the desolation and poverty of what was Lotus, and the rebuilding phase has some way to go yet. The engine still lags behind the Mercedes and Ferrari units, and doesn't have the oil-burning technology or the ability to turn up the wick during Q3.

For most of the teams, and indeed the drivers, it's all about 2018 now.

WX for Austin TX:

Thursday 20 percent chance of showers
    Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81
    Friday 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms
    Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81
    Saturday 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms
    Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84
    Sunday 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms
    Partly sunny, with a high near 78

Hmm...

Master
    I agree. It's a decent circuit, and usually produces a good race, but this year Ferrari have dropped the ball in recent races, and both of their drivers eliminated themselves at the first corner in Singapore, which should have seen a decent points haul for both drivers and kept the championships alive.

Wouldn't have happened in Bernie's day.
    Got to ask you to expand on this? What could Bernie have done to change things?

The Justin Timberlake fans are going to get wet on Saturday then?

The driver-go-round for 2018 is slowing down, and it's likely to end with Jolyon Palmer and Daniil Kvyat without seats:

https://www.pitpass.com/60278/Who-Goes-Where-2018

Robert Kubica's test with Williams last week has been described as "productive", so the identities of Lance Stroll's team mate and the occupant of the second seat at Toro Rosso remain unknown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Got to ask you to expand on this? What could Bernie have done to change things?
    He would have come up with something. Bernie liked the driver's title decided at the final race.

Master

He would have come up with something. Bernie liked the driver's title decided at the final race.
    Sounds like you are saying the championship had an element of fixing behind it when Bernie was in charge.

Master
    Enjoyed the F1 season so far with the performance of the Red Bull drivers especially worth watching.

However I'm sad to see the pathetic bitching that is normally confined to the Bear Pit has spilt over on to the G&D now.

Master
    For me the problem with F1 is that it's very often a few-horse race. This has been the case for probably fifteen of the last 20 years, and doesn't look like lifting anytime soon.

"But he <insert name of driver> always wins because he has the best car" is the common complaint. And yes, the winning driver frequently has the best car, because teams are rarely stupid and will get the very best resources they can - engineers, technology, wind tunnel ... and yes, driver.

This year the likely winner will not have the best car. Or, at least, it's not been consistently the best. Very much like Longfellow's little girl, when it's good it's been very very good, but when it was bad it drove like a sack of spuds. And the best car has been sabotaged by the team and its driver, with the Vettel/Ferrari combination's collective mistakes flattering Hamilton's current almost-two-race lead

I rather liked Bernie's double-points idea for the last race. Yes, it gives disproportionate importance to Abu Dhabi (deeply ironic given the place deserves half-points at best from a political point of view) but that aside, it means that a last-gasp win might just upset the apple cart and keeps us all guessing.

Tyre choices for this weekend:

Note that the Ultrasofts will have pink rather than purple writing this weekend, due to a charity promotion. Pierre Gasly is still listed, although he is in Japan contesting the last round of the Super Formula Championship, and his car (and tyre allocation) is taken by Brendon Hartley.

Alonso extends his contract for a further 12 months. (According to the BBC)

No chance of any other drives, so not a bad option especially with the Renault engine becoming available, but at 36 - "should he stay or should he go"

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Alonso extends his contract for a further 12 months. (According to the BBC)

No chance of any other drives, so not a bad option especially with the Renault engine becoming available, but at 36 - "should he stay or should he go"
    According to McClaren...link.

Can’t seem to find free practice 1 & 2 on channel 4 this weekend

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    It's on More4.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=228&t=1702468

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Link:

Live On Channel4
    United States Grand Prix
    20th Oct

15:55 - Practice 1
    19:55 - Practice 2
    21st Oct

16:55 - Practice 3
    18:55 - Qualifying
    22nd Oct

19:00 - Race

But it does seem to be online only for the practice sessions: link.

Thank S to you both for those posts helped me out

Craftsman
    Drizzling here at COTA, the first rain since we've been here in Austin.

And Max Verstappen signs with Red Bull for a further 3 years. Interesting that with no engine deal after end of 2018 it remains to be seen whether Red Bull will be competitive in the next years. Max has ambitions (as do all F1 drivers obviously, well, apart from Jolyon Palmer... ) but I’m not sure RB can meet them with the current package unless Honda finds the genie in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Drizzling here at COTA, the first rain since we've been here in Austin.

Should make things interesting! Are you there for the whole weekend?

The forecast is showing a 30/40% chance of daytime showers/storms over the weekend (80% for Saturday night).

Best keep an eye on the South Plains Sector rain radar.

Craftsman
    Should make things interesting! Are you there for the whole weekend?
    Yeah. Turn 1 today, main grandstand for quail and turn 15 for the race.

Really, really looking forward to Justin Trousersnake as well...

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Yeah. Turn 1 today, main grandstand for quail and turn 15 for the race.

Really, really looking forward to Justin Trousersnake as well...
    Who wouldn't? Have a great weekend!

News from FP1:

The track is bumpy in places. So much so that the track surface has had to be shaved in several places to try to smooth it out a bit.

Just about everybody outside of Mercedes and Ferrari have grid penalties.

I shows how the current rules have become farcical when a new driver, never driven in F1 has a grid penalty, I know the manufacturers championship has been running all year and points make prizes, but I think it's unfair

I bet that Pierre Gasly is gutted...link...but Brendon Hartley is still pleased.

B@&*$y weather...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I bet that Pierre Gasly is gutted...link...but Brendon Hartley is still pleased.

B@&*$y weather...
    That's one way of making sure they get a Japanese champion

F1 plans online streaming service for 2018:

Formula 1 plans to launch an online live streaming service for fans in 2018 as part of a radical overhaul of its digital and broadcast strategies.

With F1’s new owners Liberty Media having spent the last 12 months analysing the sport, bold plans are being put in place that will change the way fans can watch grand prix racing.

With a big effort being made to expand its digital presence, a live streaming service from race weekends, plus another offering in between events that offers extra data and behind-the-scenes footage, are set to be rolled out for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    F1 plans online streaming service for 2018:
    Formula 1 plans to launch an online live streaming service for fans in 2018 as part of a radical overhaul of its digital and broadcast strategies.

With F1’s new owners Liberty Media having spent the last 12 months analysing the sport, bold plans are being put in place that will change the way fans can watch grand prix racing.

With a big effort being made to expand its digital presence, a live streaming service from race weekends, plus another offering in between events that offers extra data and behind-the-scenes footage, are set to be rolled out for the start of next season.

Except...

Live stream offerings will only be made available in markets where it does not clash with pre-exiting television deals that have guaranteed exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Except...

Live stream offerings will only be made available in markets where it does not clash with pre-exiting television deals that have guaranteed exclusivity.
    Does that apply to any UK provider...and how long are their contracts?

Hazardous Weather Outlook:

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for South-Central Texas..

.DAY ONE...Today And Tonight.

Strong to severe thunderstorms are possible tonight along a cold front. Large hail and damaging winds are the main threat. Storms will move through the Hill Country late tonight.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday.

Strong to severe thunderstorms are possible early Sunday morning along a cold front. Large hail and damaging winds are the main threat. Storms will move from I-35/Hwy 90 to the Coastal Plains Sunday morning. Otherwise no hazardous weather is expected at this time.

So by race time the storms should have cleared away from Austin.

Max Verstappen will have a grid penalty this weekend to go with his one-year contract extension at Red Bull. He, along with Vettel at Ferrari, is contracted until the end of 2020. Mark Hughes seems to think that Hamilton and Ricciardo at Mercedes is likely for 2019.

Apprentice
    What's peoples predictions for tonight's qualifying then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.Loader View Post
    What's peoples predictions for tonight's qualifying then?
    Hamilton on pole.
    Somewhere in the Iberian peninsula a cat will die too young.

Renault vindicated, Sainz was phenomenal, the Hulk must be furious though.

Hamilton, absolutely peerless. The top 4 is going to be interesting off the line tomorrow, do or die for Vettel but Hamilton is going to bag another win and we'll have to wait until Mexico for the fat lady.

^^ Indeed, a brilliant result for Sainz Jnr. Not a bad way to kick off a new relationship, not a bad way at all.

As I understand it although he's now driving for Renault he's actually on loan from Torro Rosso, I wonder what the contract details are with regards to either TR or CS wanting to get back together or want to permanently terminate? Sainz will be with Renault next season though what would happen if, for example, Honda make the magic happen next year and Sainz wants to move back in 2019, if he isn't already obliged to anyway?

Lewis clearly enjoys this circuit and with the increase in downforce and grip levels the Mercedes can use its power advantage to greater effect through the faster bends that are now taken flat-out. As of tomorrow he'll also top yet another race statistic, that being the number of race starts from the front row, a record that Michael Schumacher will relinquish.

Seb may have qualified 2nd however it's Lewis that'll be starting on the dirty side of the circuit, that and Ferrari were sounding quite bullish about their race pace. Max should provide some entertainment ripping through field as well.
    Last edited by CardShark; 22nd October 2017 at 01:18.

I know not a lot about F1, but was listening to Loose Ends tonight. You know the topical Radio 4 program hosted by Clive Anderson.

Anyway Jenson Button was a guest. It was all a bit strange experience and he came across as if he was on the spectrum. A bit surreal really especially the conversation with Frank Skinner about the horse painting. We’re all a bit bonkers, so sorry Jenson if you’re reading this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    And Max Verstappen signs with Red Bull for a further 3 years. Interesting that with no engine deal after end of 2018 it remains to be seen whether Red Bull will be competitive in the next years. Max has ambitions (as do all F1 drivers obviously, well, apart from Jolyon Palmer... ) but I’m not sure RB can meet them with the current package unless Honda finds the genie in the bottle.
    Slightly cruel, but it brings up an interesting point.

If you're a racing driver, is it better to be paying to scrap around at the tail end of f1 than to be winning in a sportscar and getting paid?

I'm biased as I think F1 is a dull as NASCAR these days, but is there really much kudos in being an f1 tail ender?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ...is there really much kudos in being an f1 tail ender?
    Most drivers will start their F1 career in one of the junior teams, if they're deemed to be decent enough then they'll be promoted through the ranks - Alonso, for example, started with Minardi. In order to get to the top you pretty much have to work your way up from the bottom, if a driver loses his seat early because he's not fast enough (plenty of previous Torso Rosso drivers, for example) the chances of getting back in to F1 are next to nothing. You've got to be in it to win it, there may be little kudos being at the back of the grid however a) they're still in F1 and b) it's the only way to move up.

Master
    I wonder if Eddie Jordan’s trusted source is correct and Ferrari will be having a new chief next year.
    I’m not particularly a fan of Maurizio Arrivabene. He seems somewhat surly to me. When things are not going Ferrari’s way he refuses to talk to the press. I can’t think of any other team principle who acts like that. I won’t be sad to see him leave the pit lane.

I wonder if Eddie Jordan’s trusted source is correct and Ferrari will be having a new chief next year.
    I’m not particularly a fan of Maurizio Arrivabene. He seems somewhat surly to me. When things are not going Ferrari’s way he refuses to talk to the press. I can’t think of any other team principle who acts like that. I won’t be sad to see him leave the pit lane.
    Isnt that down to Ferrari’s rule(?)/approach to the media this year in that they’ve totally shut them out rather than Arrivabene’s attitude? The few times he has spoken to the media I thought he came across well and even a little mischievous.

EJ seemed to be pretty adamant that the info was accurate, didn't he. For all of his foibles it's true to say that he has his ear to the ground.

As for MA's lack of comms it's been this way all season. I don't know who the instruction come from however the entire team appear to be committed to a complete media shutdown, I can't remember anyone from Ferrari in front of the TV cameras apart from the drivers. I don't mind this too much as I believe that they have the best looking PR girls tagging along with them...

Edit - what Tiny said, beaten to it.

Further edit - it's a shame that we don't see and hear more from the Scuderia. Both Toto and Christian come across as being open to discuss all matters and it would be great to have further insight into the Italians, I also think that it's a sign that Ferrari's absolute no.1 priority is to win and that PR is less important to them. All teams want to win, of course, however Ferrari being a bit of a closed shop somewhat excludes them from a degree of fan involvement, either that or it ramps up the speculation/intrigue levels! It's not MA's role within Ferrari to be responsible for fan relations though given his sales and marketing background - where you'd think that engagement was key - it does make me wonder how this media shutdown came about.
    Last edited by CardShark; 22nd October 2017 at 13:27.

Master
    I thought it was down to him. In previous seasons when Ferrari have performed below par the team principals have still spoken to the media. Stefano Domenicali always came across as a nice guy even when the team performed woefully.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I don't mind this too much as I believe that they have the best looking PR girls tagging along with them...
    I've always found Seb's minder pleasantly distracting.

If I may butt in - does anyone know anything about a Warwick Banks? He was a FII driver in the 1960s I believe.
    I ask as I have an 806 Navitimer with his name engraved on the caseback.

I wonder what odds you could get on Horner going to Ferrari next session. Bigger budget plus a nicer company car.

Ross Brawn seemed to enjoy himself in Modena.
    Last edited by Andyg; 22nd October 2017 at 16:29.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Alec, I can't help much with Warwick Banks, other than the fact that I don't recall him ever being a Grand Prix driver. I believe that he confined himself to UK and European series, albeit with some distinction.

With regard to Ferrari and their PR non-activities, I suspect that this comes from Board level, most likely Sergio Marchionne. One of Ferrari's problems is that they don't have a racer in charge - Marchionne is a sales and marketing man, Arrivabene was Marlboro's marketing man in F1, and as such would have forged a close relationship with the team.

I also agree that Britte Roeske, Seb's PA, is particularly easy on the eye.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    If I may butt in - does anyone know anything about a Warwick Banks? He was a FII driver in the 1960s I believe.
    I ask as I have an 806 Navitimer with his name engraved on the caseback.

according to wikipedia, this gentleman is still alive (78 now). That makes tracking a lot easier, I suppose.

EDIT: perhaps this helps? http://www.brdc.co.uk