Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
Cheers. Interesting how you don't pick up these little details (and in F1 it is always the little details!). For anyone else interested I found the article http://scarbsf1.com/?p=3180 I note that unless the foam colour has altered they were actually using the lower temp pink Confor CF42 foam for ambient temps below 30C. It is a blue foam, Confor CF45 for temps above 30C. The way the article reads is that the specs around this part have not really altered since they mandated it. So even though it is 2013 written I guess it is still the same.
I'd like to echo your thanks and to add a link to the manufacturer's webpage for Confor®Cushioning and Impact Absorbing Safety Foam, plus another to their pdf data sheet.

There are four varieties (colours) and two different grades of this foam. F1 mandate two of the varieties, but it widely used. See the pdf for: Typical applications:

It is available in various grades which provide different performance properties, such as speed of rebound and stiffness, to meet specific design parameters. It provides solutions for many industries and applications, these include:

• Motorsport – it is widely used for headrest and cockpit protection
  • Gliders/Light Aircraft – seat cushions for gliders, sailplanes and light aircraft
  • Child and baby car seats – padding keeps children safe when they travel
  • Aerospace – bulk protection and cruise seats
  • Packaging – used for protecting high value electronic devices. Protect components by virtually eliminating the destructive shock energy, absorbing it internally and not returning any of the force to the impacting body
  • Sports equipment – padding to help prevent injuries; such as helmets, body protection and footwear
  • Medical – Hospital bedding, wheelchair cushions, examination and operating table pads take advantage of CONFOR Foams self-adjusting behaviour – clinically proven to prevent the development or advancement of decubitus ulcers in high risk patients