closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart Home lighting

Master

Smart Home lighting

We're having a new fitted bedroom installed and beforehand, I want to make sure we integrate some kind of iPhone/Smart switch compatible lighting. I've seen several videos but none really allow me to understand whether it's totally pointless or not.

Firstly, does it use more electricity? I'd imagine the smart tech is within each light bulb, and therefore electric would permanently be being fed to the light circuit, in the same way as a standard switch would be left in it's powered position?

I like the idea of having the bulbs nearest the bed dimmed to say 30%, but the main lights at full brightness or 75% etc, all at the press of a button.

Also, it looks like I'll need a wireless hub that works with the lights permanently plugged in to the router to make it all happen?

In other words, is it worth it or should I just stick with standard lightbulbs and switches?

Craftsman
    The most popular method for powering a communicating light switch is to allow a small trickle of electricity to flow through the load (or to neutral) when the light is off, .5 to 1.5 Watts is typical, some of the most popular devices from Lutron consume under .2W. There is even a technology from EnOcean that harvests the mechanical energy used to turn on the switch (piezoelectric) to power the communications. On the other hand, most of these devices are dimmers, which allow less electricity to be sent to the lamp when dimmed, statistically, the average is 20% less.

Some devices require a Hub, some communicate directly to your mobile device, some even use a device you already own as a hub (ie. AppleTV).

Master
    I’ve been using Philips Hue for a while now and have been happy with it. Very easy to install and operate and there are loads of third party apps if the Philips one doesn’t do what you need. Voice control is easy to set up with Alexa if required. The bulbs are relatively expensive but hopefully they’ll last a good while and Argos/Currys do 3 for 2 offers every once in a while.

Smart Home lighting

The electricity consumption isn’t anything to worry about but overall the ‘convenience’ not worth it IMO.

Got Phillips hue for the other half for Xmas, she's loving it! Only the living room and our bedroom so far. It does seem reliable.

Get Hue and an Amazon Alexa or Google Home. Ignore the switches, they need to stay on for the bulbs to respond anyway. I have Hue and wouldn’t go back.

Philip Hue here too. Positioned the colour lamp behind the TV for effect which works well. I'm doing the LED strip for kitchen next. You can set timers/alarm from your smartphone too, quite impressed so far.

Master
    I have LightwaveRF and some Philips Hue.
    Much prefer the LightwaveRF as it’s the switches not the bulbs that are controlled.
    I find with the Hue that they keep getting switched off at the switch and then don’t work until you switch them on again. With the LightwaveRF they work remotely all the time irrespective of the switch position.
    Seems a much better idea to me as there are times it’s easier to use the switch than an app or voice control.
    Last edited by Cynar; 8th January 2018 at 10:20.

Master
    Thanks for the replies. It’s an interesting technology and will definitely suit the modernisation of the house.

Master
    Just added Philips Hue to our bedroom after redecorating - already have it round most of the rest of the house.

In the bedroom we have:

Hue Iris table lamp on chest of drawers
    Hue E27 White & Colour bulb in the ceiling pendant light
    Hue E27 in a table lamp on a small table
    2 x wall mounted single spot Hue Runner lights as our bedside lights - shades of white only - not full colour (still to be wired in).

Controlling them all we have a single Hue Dimmer smart switch, so when entering the room one press of the Hue switch turns them all on simultaneously. You can only have one light recipe set on the switch at one time which is the only down-side, but this can be changed at any time via the Hue app including setting different brightness levels for each bulb as well as colours, and each of the individual bulbs can still be tweaked via the app or switched off at the sockets / wall switches too of course. The controller comes with an adhesive wall mount and is magnetic so can be removed from the wall mount if you're in bed for example. The benefit we've found with the smart switch system is that it seems very stable and rarely has any issues whereas the app can sometimes be a bit glitchy.

In addition the Runner spots we'll be using as bedside lights each came with their own smart switch and I'm hoping that they can each be controlled on their own whilst still being paired to the 'main' smart switch but I've yet to test this out.

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Have a look at IKEA…. They’ve got some really neat and great value solutions

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I have LightwaveRF and some Philips Hue.
    Much prefer the LightwaveRF as it’s the switches not the bulbs that are controlled.
    I find with the Hue that they keep getting switched off at the switch and then don’t work until you switch them on again. With the LightwaveRF they work remotely all the time irrespective of the switch position.
    Seems a much better idea to me as there are times it’s easier to use the switch than an app or voice control.
    The only issue I can imagine with this would be the “scenes”. So I’d guess all the lights in one room would come on at the same intensity, whereas with the Philips bulbs, they can perhaps be set to different levels individually?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Have a look at IKEA…. They’ve got some really neat and great value solutions
    I had no idea, I’ll take a look, thanks

Master
    You’ve hit the nail on the head about the lightwave solution, unfortunately the same is true of the ikea option.
    If you look on amazon you can get innr bulbs that work with hue for less that the Phillips ones but the reviews don’t sound as good.

Do you have an iPhone & Apple TV ?

If you do you'll be able to control any Homekit device from the Apple Home app, you can create timers & alerts.

I have Hue bulbs, Hue motion sensors and an Elgato Eve switch.

I don't have either - if I was renovating I would go for the "hard wired" solution however. I know Hue is LED but I would consider the replacement cost of the bulbs etc. down the line - for a retrofit then Hue makes much more sense to me.

I've got Hue in the lounge, had it just over a year, I'm not overly impressed TBH.

I use it in conjunction with my Harmony remote and macro's, a good 40% of the time when we go to bed at night and hit the "all off" the lights don't do anything, you are then left stood there like an idiot for a good 60 seconds waiting for the Hue bridge to catch up so you can try again.

Another annoying thing is if you switch the main room switch to off then they lose all the "scene" memory so you have to start from scratch! A novel idea but not great in my opinion.

A friend of mine has just done his whole house in the Ikea alternative, he has and nothing but trouble with them, I'd just stock with normal LED lights or look at Lutron or similar.

Master
    The issue with lutron is cost / complexity of installation especially if you want independent dimming and/or colour control rako is a cheaper (it was 2-3 years ago) wired option but still requires dedicated dimming channels and colour control.

I’d agreed hue can be klunky but it’s at a significant lower price point to equivalent lutron/rako set ups and has greater flexibility.

I guess it could be the harmony system causing the issues too, rather than the hue setup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The only issue I can imagine with this would be the “scenes”. So I’d guess all the lights in one room would come on at the same intensity, whereas with the Philips bulbs, they can perhaps be set to different levels individually?
    If they’re all connected to the same switch then yes they will all come on at the same level, as with a normal dimmer switch. My wall lights and ceiling lights are on separate switches and I have a Lightwave socket for the lamp, so it works for me. I tend to use the physical switch more often than not when entering or leaving a room and it’s really frustrating with the Hue, that once off the voice or app control doesn’t work. I guess there’s pros and cons to each, but having used both I prefer the Lightwave.
    The best solution would be to hardwire all the lights on and replace the normal switches with the Hue remote ones but not sure if that’s OK to do.
    Last edited by Cynar; 8th January 2018 at 15:48.

The Lightwave stuff IMO is a bit pricey and will only dim, your just moving the cost of the bulb to a switch.

https://www.apple.com/uk/search/Homekit?src=alp

You just neet to remember not to turn the lights off at the switch :)
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 8th January 2018 at 17:47.

Craftsman
    it seems from the replies that all systems mentioned are not without their flaws.

What's the solution? Surely with home automation being 10+ years in the making there's a professional application that ticks all the boxes to get it right first time?

Mark

Master
    Ive gone down the Hive smart lighting route as we already have the Hive heating and hub. main living room, music room, kitchen and our bedroom at the moment. all work off a motion sensor in each room. go off about 30 seconds after you leave the room. it can be a pain as the lights go out if you are say sitting reading. helps though as the missus always leaving the lights on. you can set schedules, dim etc. works well.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Like most ‘smart home’ gizmos they’re a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist, imho. How hard is it to operate a light switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Like most ‘smart home’ gizmos they’re a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist, imho. How hard is it to operate a light switch?

Maybe not for you but it’s a solution for a problem that does exist. In my old house the downstairs was open plan. With spots, wall lights , floor lamps , island lights , kitchen lights and dining table lights. Having 8 switches to turn and adjust each set of lights for what I was doing would have been a problem hence installing a Lutron which at the touch of one button could load up different scenes .

Some could argue how difficult is it to get up to change channel on your sky box- bet you still use a remote .
    Last edited by eagletower; 8th January 2018 at 21:37.

I'm 40 miles away from some of my light switches. That makes it fairly hard.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a load of the Ikea stuff. It’s relatively inexpensive which is great because if you count up all your spotlights you’ll probably find you have more than you thought, and even at £7 a pop it mounts up.

It works great, integrated with Alexa too which is what I was waiting for.

I initially bought it as the wife NEVER turns lights off when she doesn’t need them on anymore. It will probably take about 100 years to get the ROI!

Craftsman

Which one of these do you like better?

I think you have misunderstood the OP - clearly there are on/off options in the form of a switch.

(I note you post from your smartphone, is this not a similar but acceptable angst - wait until you get home as an example?)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

The ability to turn them on and off while you’re away on holiday is quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think you have misunderstood the OP - clearly there are on/off options in the form of a switch.

(I note you post from your smartphone, is this not a similar but acceptable angst - wait until you get home as an example?)
    The clue is ‘imho’. I may be wrong, I may be a Luddite - or it may be because I have a son with learning difficulties who manages to lose remote controls, break anything a bit hi- tech and shiny. Or it may be because my internet connection is on the blink at home and it would be even more annoying with all the ‘connected home’ stuff not working! Ps
    I honestly don’t understand why I’d need to turn on lights when 40 miles from home if I have a few lights on simple timers and a myriad of pir lights etc?

I currently have six Hue lights. On the mornings when I work they come on gradually, helping me to wake up, and are timed to turn off after I've left.

In the evenings I've set them to turn on ten minutes before sunset, so I never need to adjust the programme, although on dull, overcast days I can just turn a few of them on from my phone or iPad.

Whether they're worth the up-front cost and time required to set up "scenes" and programme them is up to you, but once set up they're reliable, and being LED they're cheap to run. I like them, and have set them up to do exactly what I want, so they're worth the effort for me. I'll probably add a few more over the next year or so.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    We use Hive LED bulbs for the two lights in our reception and we find it absolutely fine. Currently on a scheduled timer to switch on at 16:30 and off at 22:30 every day for the winter. Of course we can control them remotely via the app as well. The bulbs are a little expensive but we only have the two.

Thanks

Kapish

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    We use Hive LED bulbs for the two lights in our reception and we find it absolutely fine. Currently on a scheduled timer to switch on at 16:30 and off at 22:30 every day for the winter. Of course we can control them remotely via the app as well. The bulbs are a little expensive but we only have the two.
    I appear to be at 20

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I appear to be at 20
    Sorry, I don't understand your response. You appear to be at 20?

thanks

Kapish

Sorry, I don't understand your response. You appear to be at 20?

thanks

Kapish
    I read it as Gyp has ended up with 20 Hive bulbs - I can see them being like Sonos and breeding over time.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I read it as Gyp has ended up with 20 Hive bulbs - I can see them being like Sonos and breeding over time.
    Yes, I'm at 20 bulbs; some on motion sensors, some on Hive timers, some on IFTTT timers and some on a combination of these.

Most of the time they work.

Apprentice
    I can't comment on lighting but have just bought a Sonos One (with Alexa voice control) mainly for my wife who has moderate Alzheimers and finds controls difficult. It is good in that she can say "Alexa play radio 2" etc but frustrating in many ways, especially when the more capable Echo Dot in the kitchen hears and takes precedence. Also very annoying that it can't play audible books.

It also has the problem that she has found she can ask it to play Frank Sinatra ad nauseam (ie for more than a minute)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Yes, I'm at 20 bulbs; some on motion sensors, some on Hive timers, some on IFTTT timers and some on a combination of these.

Most of the time they work.
    20 Hive bulbs! I didn’t realise you could even have that many

20 Hive bulbs! I didn’t realise you could even have that many

Err, got a bit carried away. One bulb not yet linked. Better sort that...

Would love to have this but where to start and worried that all the different systems would require different hubs