closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone with Sky / AV setup experience that could point me in the right direction?

Craftsman

Anyone with Sky / AV setup experience that could point me in the right direction?

So, lounge has a Panasonic TX-P65ST50B plasma which I bought from new 5 years ago. It is connected to a 2TB sky hd box via HDMI 1. The sky box is set to out Dolby over HDMI and optical. The sky box is connected to the Sony DAV DZ260 by digital coax. The Sony DAV is connected to HDMI 2 of the tv. A PS3 is attached to HDMI 3 of the tv and by digital optical to the Sony DAV.

It has all been setup for about 5 years like this but I haven’t powered on the ps3 for at least 18 months and the smart content from the tv is only via the internal tv speaker. HDMI 2 on the tv is ARC but the Sony DAV isn’t.

My sky box is distributes via RF2 to a loft amp and then to the bedrooms. Due to bad flickering I bought another box as contingency and thought I would swap it out......after doing so, all ok in the same configuration. I then thought I would power on the ps3 and watch a Blu-ray (normally use pj in another room). No sound output from ps3. Checked and it was configured for optical out. Changed it to HDMI and still no sound.

Played about last night and still no output. Swapped the PS3, no change.

This morning, unplugged the optical and ran it to the tv - ie tv out to Sony DAV in. PS3 sound worked after changing to HDMI. Sony DAV operated ok on HDMI 2. Sky had no sound until digital coax unplugged (competing signal on amp). Channel was bbc1 standard def. switched to bbc1 hd and no sound output.....! I have no idea why. Removed optical and went back to original config and all ok.

This afternoon, put ps3 on with sky off. Ps3 connected through optical. Blu-ray and cd played fine. Wrote some instructions for my wife to play cds on the ps3. Turned ps3 off and sky back on and asked her to follow them to see if they were ok. Sky turned off, ps3 on, no ps3 sound!!!

I have just left it as it is, in the config of paragraph 1. The logical setup and not sure why I hadn’t done this before would be sky, Sony DAV and ps3 connected via HDMI and tv connected to amp via optical.....but when I do this, I get no sound on hd sky channels....

I’m clearly missing something here, but not sure what.

Anybody got any ideas please?

Many thanks

Paul

Craftsman
    Is everyone as knowledgable as me? This should be simple to anyone under the age of 14...!!

Sorry I am not sure why but interested in this thread as I have recently had similar issues with no sound on my Sony Amp after replacing my TV.

I swapped out my aging Toshiba 37" for a new Toshiba 4K 55", I thought it'd be a cinch, just unplug old TV, plug in new TV; same brand; what can possibly go wrong were my famous last thoughts. The old TV seemed to automatically connect to my Amp; just like my Sky box does (did), then I could control the sound via the Amp on the Sky/TV remotes. Now I switch on the TV and the Amp comes on but automatically goes to "Muting" so I have no sound. I then have to use the Amp remote to control volume. Now I sit there with half a dozen remotes around me.

I checked the sound configurations were set to HDMI and the TV set up is all correct for Satellite viewing via HDMI.

I also had a massive sound delay and lip sync issues, but I have now managed to resolve this as Sky has a sound settings menu whereby you can adjust the time of the sound output.

As OP said, its times like this I regret not having kids, they'd have it working in a jiffy.

Good luck OP

Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    So, lounge has a Panasonic TX-P65ST50B plasma which I bought from new 5 years ago. It is connected to a 2TB sky hd box via HDMI 1. The sky box is set to out Dolby over HDMI and optical. The sky box is connected to the Sony DAV DZ260 by digital coax. The Sony DAV is connected to HDMI 2 of the tv. A PS3 is attached to HDMI 3 of the tv and by digital optical to the Sony DAV.

It has all been setup for about 5 years like this but I haven’t powered on the ps3 for at least 18 months and the smart content from the tv is only via the internal tv speaker. HDMI 2 on the tv is ARC but the Sony DAV isn’t.

My sky box is distributes via RF2 to a loft amp and then to the bedrooms. Due to bad flickering I bought another box as contingency and thought I would swap it out......after doing so, all ok in the same configuration. I then thought I would power on the ps3 and watch a Blu-ray (normally use pj in another room). No sound output from ps3. Checked and it was configured for optical out. Changed it to HDMI and still no sound.

Played about last night and still no output. Swapped the PS3, no change.

This morning, unplugged the optical and ran it to the tv - ie tv out to Sony DAV in. PS3 sound worked after changing to HDMI. Sony DAV operated ok on HDMI 2. Sky had no sound until digital coax unplugged (competing signal on amp). Channel was bbc1 standard def. switched to bbc1 hd and no sound output.....! I have no idea why. Removed optical and went back to original config and all ok.

This afternoon, put ps3 on with sky off. Ps3 connected through optical. Blu-ray and cd played fine. Wrote some instructions for my wife to play cds on the ps3. Turned ps3 off and sky back on and asked her to follow them to see if they were ok. Sky turned off, ps3 on, no ps3 sound!!!

I have just left it as it is, in the config of paragraph 1. The logical setup and not sure why I hadn’t done this before would be sky, Sony DAV and ps3 connected via HDMI and tv connected to amp via optical.....but when I do this, I get no sound on hd sky channels....

I’m clearly missing something here, but not sure what.

Anybody got any ideas please?

Many thanks

Paul
    "Channel was bbc1 standard def. switched to bbc1 hd and no sound output."

The HD channels generally output in Dolby Digital, SD channels in stereo. If I understand correctly at this point you had optical from TV to amp, so either the TV wasn't set to output DD or the amp wasn't prepared to accept the digital signal.

Our Sony TV has hdmi in and optical out, but the amp doesn't receive Dolby Digital unless I turn off the TVs internal speakers (not mute, turn off from a menu setting, about six button presses, most annoying). IIRC I needed to change the TVs settings to output stereo always from the optical, which means the TV will downmix the DD to stereo on HD channels.

There is also a Digital/Analogue switch on the amp (Cambridge Audio AV something or other) and if that gets toggled then there is no sound, even on the same input.

So maybe you need to switch the amp to tell it to receive a digital signal on HD channels and an analogue signal on SD channels, even though they are coming down the same cable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    "Channel was bbc1 standard def. switched to bbc1 hd and no sound output."

The HD channels generally output in Dolby Digital, SD channels in stereo. If I understand correctly at this point you had optical from TV to amp, so either the TV wasn't set to output DD or the amp wasn't prepared to accept the digital signal.

Our Sony TV has hdmi in and optical out, but the amp doesn't receive Dolby Digital unless I turn off the TVs internal speakers (not mute, turn off from a menu setting, about six button presses, most annoying). IIRC I needed to change the TVs settings to output stereo always from the optical, which means the TV will downmix the DD to stereo on HD channels.

There is also a Digital/Analogue switch on the amp (Cambridge Audio AV something or other) and if that gets toggled then there is no sound, even on the same input.

So maybe you need to switch the amp to tell it to receive a digital signal on HD channels and an analogue signal on SD channels, even though they are coming down the same cable.
    Thank you - that gives me a starting point, I’m not sure there are many sound options on the tv or the amp...I will do some digging in the menus, but again, I have additional areas to consider with the understanding of the SD and hd signals....many thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Sorry I am not sure why but interested in this thread as I have recently had similar issues with no sound on my Sony Amp after replacing my TV.

I swapped out my aging Toshiba 37" for a new Toshiba 4K 55", I thought it'd be a cinch, just unplug old TV, plug in new TV; same brand; what can possibly go wrong were my famous last thoughts. The old TV seemed to automatically connect to my Amp; just like my Sky box does (did), then I could control the sound via the Amp on the Sky/TV remotes. Now I switch on the TV and the Amp comes on but automatically goes to "Muting" so I have no sound. I then have to use the Amp remote to control volume. Now I sit there with half a dozen remotes around me.

I checked the sound configurations were set to HDMI and the TV set up is all correct for Satellite viewing via HDMI.

I also had a massive sound delay and lip sync issues, but I have now managed to resolve this as Sky has a sound settings menu whereby you can adjust the time of the sound output.

As OP said, its times like this I regret not having kids, they'd have it working in a jiffy.

Good luck OP
    Thank you - my Sony amp automatically connects to my Panasonic tv....I’ve no idea why or how, but I like that it does, I don’t know if it could be down to the HDMI connection type...?

Journeyman
    That all sounds far too complicated for it's own good, personally I'd unplug everything, go outside and do something else, if it's raining just look out the window instead.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    That all sounds far too complicated for it's own good, personally I'd unplug everything, go outside and do something else, if it's raining just look out the window instead.

I hope this helps.
    The advice about unplugging everything is a good one. Sometimes it's easier to start with nothing and gradually get bits working, rather than plug everything in and then then troubleshoot everything in one go.

Personally (and I know - because I did something similar) I'd swap the Sony DAV for a newer model with HDMI inputs/output. It makes things MUCH easier.

I went from a Denon AVR 1802 (fabulous amp but no HDMI) which I had configured for various optical and analogue inputs/outputs and a mess of inputs into the TV (Sky, DVD, PS3, etc.) all switched by a Harmony remote with some pretty complex startup/shutdown sequences (and the corresponding chance of something not working right first time) to a Sony STA DA2400ES and now everything goes through the HDMI inputs on the amp and then out through a single HDMI to the TV.

I've a Sky Q box, a Blu Ray, a PS3 and a PS4 connected and the only change the remote has to make is the input on the amp. TV stays on HDMI 1 all the time, amp is always on (when we are watching anything) and each device is switched on/off as necessary.

Best bit - I picked up the amp for £50 on ebay (result!)

If you were buying an all in one system you could pick up something new of similar quality to your existing Sony for £300 - £400 and I'm sure that there are things on the bay a couple of years old for way less.

Cheers,

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Personally (and I know - because I did something similar) I'd swap the Sony DAV for a newer model with HDMI inputs/output. It makes things MUCH easier.

I went from a Denon AVR 1802 (fabulous amp but no HDMI) which I had configured for various optical and analogue inputs/outputs and a mess of inputs into the TV (Sky, DVD, PS3, etc.) all switched by a Harmony remote with some pretty complex startup/shutdown sequences (and the corresponding chance of something not working right first time) to a Sony STA DA2400ES and now everything goes through the HDMI inputs on the amp and then out through a single HDMI to the TV.

I've a Sky Q box, a Blu Ray, a PS3 and a PS4 connected and the only change the remote has to make is the input on the amp. TV stays on HDMI 1 all the time, amp is always on (when we are watching anything) and each device is switched on/off as necessary.

Best bit - I picked up the amp for £50 on ebay (result!)

If you were buying an all in one system you could pick up something new of similar quality to your existing Sony for £300 - £400 and I'm sure that there are things on the bay a couple of years old for way less.

Cheers,

Mark C
    I thought about doing this, but does that mean the amp needs to be on all the time? Or even when it's off does it pass through the audio and video to the TV so the TV's speakers can be used?

Master
    I thought about doing this, but does that mean the amp needs to be on all the time? Or even when it's off does it pass through the audio and video to the TV so the TV's speakers can be used?
    That depends on the amp. Both the Yamaha RX-A3050 I recently sold and the Denon AVR-X6300H that replaced it pass through HDMI and allow different inputs to be selected when in standby.
    Last edited by Cynar; 12th January 2018 at 15:06.

See Cynar's answer - however... "so the TV's speakers can be used" ... does not compute :-) (the TV speakers on mine are always off - and will remain that way, why would I have 5.1 or 7.1 surround and NOT use it?)

Mark C

- - - Updated - - -

See Cynar's answer - however... "so the TV's speakers can be used" ... does not compute :-) (the TV speakers on mine are always off - and will remain that way, why would I have 5.1 or 7.1 surround and NOT use it?)

Mark C

Master
    Sometimes I listen through the TV speakers. I don’t always want 7 speakers and a massive subwoofer in action.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post

Mark C
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Sometimes I listen through the TV speakers. I don’t always want 7 speakers and a massive subwoofer in action.
    This.

Also one input plus TV is less to go wrong for the family when I'm not around.