closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Shop disputing price after sale

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Still cogitating.
    Make sure you wipe the bracelet afterwards.

I feel a bit sorry for you - this thread is a bit toxic. Don't forget that what people say they will do on here doesn't always reflect what they'll do when it actually happens to them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Make sure you wipe the bracelet afterwards.

I feel a bit sorry for you - this thread is a bit toxic. Don't forget that what people say they will do on here doesn't always reflect what they'll do when it actually happens to them.
    Hahahahaha. V good. I use my other wrist for cogitating.

No need for pity. I'm a v big boy. I'm finding the variety of opinions intriguing. I take them in the hypothetical nature they are given.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Of course the OP got a good deal, it was on sale at £300 off! If something is being offered "On Sale" you do expect to be getting a bargain, so nobody can say "you knew it was too good a deal".

How was your last conversation with them left? What did you tell them you intend to do next?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Of course the OP got a good deal, it was on sale at £300 off! If something is being offered "On Sale" you do expect to be getting a bargain, so nobody can say "you knew it was too good a deal".

How was your last conversation with them left? What did you tell them you intend to do next?
    First conversation was last conversation! They were meant to phone back after "talking with manager" about my dismay. No contact.

First conversation was last conversation! They were meant to phone back after "talking with manager" about my dismay. No contact.

I rather suspect that will be the end of it. Just a try on. Sleep easy.

Craftsman

Possibly then the sales guy (as it was him phoned you back, not the manager) realised he'd made a mistake and tried to rectify the situation before the owner\manager found out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Possibly then the sales guy (as it was him phoned you back, not the manager) realised he'd made a mistake and tried to rectify the situation before the owner\manager found out.
    That sounds spot on gunman.

And as there's been no contact, the manager probably told him to forget it!

He probably tore a strip off him for phoning you to ask for more money too'

Master
    I'd imagine you've heard the end of this as they probably realise they haven't got much of a leg to stand on.

The fact that it was discounted from £1250 to £950 would be clear in my mind that they had stock that they wanted shifting, hence the deal. So yes you've had a great deal, but isn't that what sales/price reductions should be about?

If it was me I'd leave it now as the balls in their court, if they get back to you and you feel after a discussion that it should be returned, then do so with something reasonable (like say £100) to cover your time and effort with them coming to you.

Master
    Watch is 9 secs slow per day so not within chronometer spec. Service required?

That sounds spot on gunman.
    If that indeed was the case I am disappointed to understand that you did not replicate the smug attitude he had when you went back to give in and pay the extra £50 he would not discount...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If that indeed was the case I am disappointed to understand that you did not replicate the smug attitude he had when you went back to give in and pay the extra £50 he would not discount...
    Who said I didn't? The emphasis was possibly more on righteous mock indignation (if such a thing is possible).

Who said I didn't? The emphasis was possibly more on righteous mock indignation (if such a thing is possible).
    Good on you. Now enjoy your watch and sleep easy!

If it's a constant loss of 9secs per day have it regulated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If it's a constant loss of 9secs per day have it regulated.
    Thanks.

I based my value on this kind of info which matched their original tagged selling price:
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162313872849
    Ok, thanks, the item is not very well described and sold in December, seller still has no feedback on the transaction.

The conversion of $1911 AUD + $50 postage comes in at £1.2k but would also attract import duty (£230).

A very interesting thread. My take on it is that a reputable seller would not have rung the new owner in the first place. I can't imagine, Laings, H&I etc. doing that should a similar mistake have occurred at one of their premises.

Enjoy your watch, stefmcd!

I'm pretty sure it's not chronometer rated so +\-20spd is acceptable.

Check the model number though, if the first number is a 5 then it's a chronometer, if it's a 2 then it isn't.

If it's a 1 then you're in trouble!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's not chronometer rated so +\-20spd is acceptable.

Check the model number though, if the first number is a 5 then it's a chronometer, if it's a 2 then it isn't.

If it's a 1 then you're in trouble!
    It's a chronometer. Says so on dial. Model begins 5.

Send them the invoice?

Craftsman
    Many years ago I bought a second hand Canon F1 camera which was exhibited in the shop window and marked with a very, very good price which might or might not be a mistake. When the salesman took it into the shop, he quoted another and higher price, and I reminded him of the price sign in the window. His reaction - with a little smile - was "Shit, there goes my wage increase" and without further comments he sold it to me for the price in the window. It was not the last time I bought camera gear from them.

My view is that if they spotted the price error before you purchased it, they were entitled not to sell it to you as it is an "offer for sale". However, once monies have changed hands and youve got the product, the Offer has been accepted and you've both entered into a contract.

I'm no legal expert but I've worked in and around retail for many years and I'd hold firm. I can't see a judge being on their side if they wanted to take it to court, which I doubt they would

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This is dead easy.

Under UK law, all purchases are subject to offer and acceptance as the irrefutable basis of a contract.

The shop offered the watch at a price and the OP accepted it. That is it, end of discussion. The transaction has been completed and is entirely legal.

Mick
    A contract can be renegotiated either up wards or down ward in value , as long as BOTH parties agree.

You've completed the contract by paying in full , I can't see any reason why you would want to pay more for the watch.

Someone mentioned the staff member being made to pay for the mistake , can't see that happening at all unless it's in their employment contract which I would doubt very much.

Move on , nothing further to be of your concern.

Case closed.

As the shop hasn't been back in touch since the initial call I would think they have given up on it now, they knew there was only a minuscule chance you would go back and that window has closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Amusing to see people still waffling over this with quasi-legal terminology thrown in and trying to sound smart.
    It is simple- they sold you the watch,realized there was a mistake,called to see if you would return it which you are not obliged to. They haven't called back and seems you aren't particularly keen to return it which is fine.
    Time to move on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Amusing to see people still waffling over this with quasi-legal terminology thrown in and trying to sound smart.
    It is simple- they sold you the watch,realized there was a mistake,called to see if you would return it which you are not obliged to. They haven't called back and seems you aren't particularly keen to return it which is fine.
    Time to move on.
    10000% The amount of money involved is rather small in the scheme of things.

Some of the examples used here are also ridiculous.

Enjoy the watch and forget all about this nonsense.

If you find yourself in Edinburgh, drop me a PM and we can put it on the timing machine and check that out for you

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    If you find yourself in Edinburgh, drop me a PM and we can put it on the timing machine and check that out for you
    Cheers mate. Didn't I have a good gab with you at last Edinburgh meet, back in Oct?

Cheers mate. Didn't I have a good gab with you at last Edinburgh meet, back in Oct?

More than Likely, I do tend to go on a bit when I get started

Master
    More than Likely, I do tend to go on a bit when I get started
    Were you wearing a quartz marine master?

That's the one and handing out eye glasses
    Last edited by animalone; 7th January 2017 at 17:45.

Master
    and handing out eye glasses
    Yeah, we had a right good gab. Those glasses were extreme generosity and true forum spirit. I had on an Oris f1_on bracelet. My mate and I were through from weegieville.... This watch seems to be improving in accuracy. It was 9 secs slow day 1, after day 3 it's 17 secs slow, so only 8 slow over day 2 and 3 combined...

Classic ;-)

Funny that's exactly how I remember people along with the car they drive :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Classic ;-)

Funny that's exactly how I remember people along with the car they drive :-)
    I'll give you a bigger laugh.... I think his watch was .17 secs a day out on his time grapher.....

Yeah, we had a right good gab. Those glasses were extreme generosity and true forum spirit. I had on an Oris f1_on bracelet. My mate and I were through from weegieville.... This watch seems to be improving in accuracy. It was 9 secs slow day 1, after day 3 it's 17 secs slow, so only 8 slow over day 2 and 3 combined...

It may have been sitting for a while, and just needs some running in again. if you ever want it checked over just PM me

I'll give you a bigger laugh.... I think his watch was .17 secs a day out on his time grapher.....

Well remembered! it will probably be due a battery later in the year so I should be able to regulate it a bit closer
    Sad part is I have a 1930's pocket watch that is more accurate than it

Master
    It may have been sitting for a while, and just needs some running in again. if you ever want it checked over just PM me

Well remembered! it will probably be due a battery later in the year so I should be able to regulate it a bit closer
    Sad part is I have a 1930's pocket watch that is more accurate than it
    That's more cool than sad!

That's more cool than sad!

Best part was it was an absolute steal for what it is,
    Just glad the seller didn't call me back and ask for more money

Master
    Best part was it was an absolute steal for what it is,
    Just glad the seller didn't call me back and ask for more money
    I see what you did there....

I see what you did there....

It was a cheap shot but I couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    It's very simple.

You have just bought something in a local shop and paid with a £10 note. After you leave the shop, and are putting your change away, you realise that the shop assistant has actually given you change for £20. Do you:

1) Go "woo hoo, I've just made £10" and carry on (they are a commercial entity, the transaction has been completed, and they should have better processes in place to avoid making mistakes)

or

2) Go back into the shop and return the additional £10 (because it's the right thing to do)?
    If it were indeed that scenario then the original post and most of the subsequent discussion would be quite different.

Commercially and legally there appears to be no obligation on the OP. There is arguably some moral aspect or sense of duty but surely that is always contextual. Partly dependent on whether you have a wider relationship with the shop or feel that they deserve some optional consideration.

Lets put it this way - if you sold it to the shop for £950 and then went back in the following day to say you'd made a mistake and the price you'd meant to ask was £1650 do you think the salesman would be falling over himself to pay you the extra £700?

Master
    this
    there has been offer, acceptance, consideration and completion. End of,
    and this
    The shop is trying it on in my opinion - I'd ring trading standards and ask them if they've had reports of anything similar in the past before talking to the shop again
    also, you completed the transaction walked away a happy customer and now they have given you a problem to deal with. Making you spend time and a little energy on cogitating the 'dilema' they have given you.

I wonder on the real cost to them of the watch and the vat that would need to be paid to HMRC on the profit, don't see why they would want to hassle you with the phone call, seems to me they need to be checking their own moral compass not yours.

Still cogitating.
    It's yours, enjoy.

Grand Master

Are you sure you've got it fully wound? If it's running around 50% wound it could run a tad slow. However, the cynic in me says it probably hasn't been serviced for some time. Get it on a timegrapher and see what's going on, If the amplitude's low that's an indication that it hasn't been serviced in a long while.

At the risk of sounding even more cynical, what do you expect when you buy from these places? It's always wise to factor in the cost of servicing a watch when you buy, unless it's coming from a very reputable source.

How old is the watch? If it's not so old it may just need regulating, but if it's over 7 yrs old it probably does need servicing.

I'm still taking the odd job or two on, I'd be happy to look at it.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Are you sure you've got it fully wound? If it's running around 50% wound it could run a tad slow. However, the cynic in me says it probably hasn't been serviced for some time. Get it on a timegrapher and see what's going on, If the amplitude's low that's an indication that it hasn't been serviced in a long while.

At the risk of sounding even more cynical, what do you expect when you buy from these places? It's always wise to factor in the cost of servicing a watch when you buy, unless it's coming from a very reputable source.

How old is the watch? If it's not so old it may just need regulating, but if it's over 7 yrs old it probably does need servicing.

I'm still taking the odd job or two on, I'd be happy to look at it.

Paul
    Cheers. I think you're right re being fully wound. It's been within 5 secs per day on day 2 and 3. Hopefully even better tomorrow. I may be more likely to use your services for the sumo I messaged you about last month.