closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a shop ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayMan View Post
    Stone Island ; The goto choice of fashion wear for football thugs everywhere.
    I love their clothes to be fair...

Master
    Anyone who could afford to lose £50k can afford to pay for professional advice. Creating a thread to say you're just going to do it and to hell with the potential loss because of how rich you are, well it's nothing but an attempt to show off in my opinion.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    What are your other businesses ?
    I part own solar panel survey company and it was actually setup after the government pulled the funding and every single person told me I was crazy and missed the boat, that company I was told not to start up now brings me in 5 figures per month profit. So I am glad I didn't listen to the people who like to comment on things they know nothing about. Also own a few properties in Glasgow area that I rent out for investments.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Anyone who could afford to lose £50k can afford to pay for professional advice. Creating a thread to say you're just going to do it and to hell with the potential loss because of how rich you are, well it's nothing but an attempt to show off in my opinion.
    Anyone who thinks 50k is going to secure a lease, re-fit a shop, buy a POS system, implement a marketing campaign, build an e-com website and buy enough forward booked stock to get this off the ground is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Add a zero and you're getting closer.

That's not even taking into account OP has zero experience in the market (what size scales do you buy? what break-down in sizes? buy narrow & deep or wide & thin? whats the implications of each strategy? what about clearance? SM presence already started?)

I could go on, but my 10 years in this field appear to pale into insignificance compared to the OP's superior knowledge.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Well to be honest I've just kind of came up with the idea. I am starting to see nice profit for my other investments and instead of just sitting on money would like to have a go at opening a clothes shop probably mostly because I have a genuine interest in clothes myself. If it takes off great I'll get lots of clothes for myself and make money while doing it.
    I am no way attempting to show off was just looking at some info on people's experience with shops but as usual on forums you get some who just can't help but be negative

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmtmastertwo View Post
    Well to be honest I've just kind of came up with the idea.
    Then what do you think of the points I've raised in the post above yours?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    What are your other businesses ?
    He's the new start up business Tsar-taking over from Michelle Mone

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Good choice, she knows a tit when she sees one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Anyone who thinks 50k is going to secure a lease, re-fit a shop, buy a POS system, implement a marketing campaign, build an e-com website and buy enough forward booked stock to get this off the ground is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Add a zero and you're getting closer.

That's not even taking into account OP has zero experience in the market (what size scales do you buy? what break-down in sizes? buy narrow & deep or wide & thin? whats the implications of each strategy? what about clearance? SM presence already started?)

I could go on, but my 10 years in this field appear to pale into insignificance compared to the OP's superior knowledge.
    I could get the shop fitted for 15-20k and 30-35k on first stock and that's it. Wages for staff and rent for shop will just be payed each month out my other funds. The 50k is just for shop fit and stock so it's possible also at the start don't mind putting more in just obviously don't want it turning into a money pit

- - - Updated - - -

Lol she actually lives right next to me drive a nice Bentley jeep

Master
    I could get the shop fitted for 15-20k and 30-35k on first stock and that's it. Wages for staff and rent for shop will just be payed each month out my other funds. The 50k is just for shop fit and stock so it's possible also at the start don't mind putting more in just obviously don't want it turning into a money pit
    15 years ago, Levi insisted on a £25k refit where I worked.

Levi, not Armani, and 15 years ago. (In a large shop with 70 years history)

The brands will not let you sell their stuff from charity-shop looking premises.

You may have got a reply from Stone Island, the next thing they will do is send a rep to visit your new premises.

Be sure to let us know how that goes.

You didn't address my points on your buying strategy; how do you intend to buy? scales/sizes/range?

Its the most crucial thing about forward buying stock, have you even though about it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    maybe he's 12 and hasn't amassed a wardrobe yet, I don't think I have spent 3k on clothes in the last two years, and that's including shoes
    I was just thinking I'd not spent 3k on clothes in the last 10 years

Master

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair I think that comprehensive answer will have cleared up any concerns anybody had.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    15 years ago, Levi insisted on a £25k refit where I worked.

Levi, not Armani, and 15 years ago. (In a large shop with 70 years history)

The brands will not let you sell their stuff from charity-shop looking premises.

You may have got a reply from Stone Island, the next thing they will do is send a rep to visit your new premises.

Be sure to let us know how that goes.

You didn't address my points on your buying strategy; how do you intend to buy? scales/sizes/range?

Its the most crucial thing about forward buying stock, have you even though about it?
    Look to be honest I'm not sure. I'm wanting to obviously have current seasons and mainly stone island stuff depending on costs I'll try and buy the full range because stone island don't actually make that much stuff each season been buying there clothes myself for past 15 years or so.
    I agree I need to do a lot of research but to be fair I only asked people's opinions on running a shop and I bet well over half the people on this thread that like to hide behind there keyboard giving there 2cents have never owned a shop just like to talk rubbish
    Last edited by Gmtmastertwo; 3rd January 2017 at 16:44.

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note, it's my opinion that a start business such as this will require your direct input and enthusiasm for the clothes you stock in order for it to work. Unless you can or are prepared to spend the requisite amount of time in the shop it will not end well.

A better idea might be to spend any spare time developing the solar business so that you can spend even more on designer clothes, bags and of course watches.

Genuinely good luck if you do go for it - I can't help feeling though that if it was just a case of fronting cash and waiting for the five figures to roll in, then everyone with a spare 100K would do so. It sounds like your experience isn't retail (other than as a consumer) and there don't seem to be any synergies or shared investment with your other activities, so I can't see your U.S.P.

Honestly it sounds like a vanity project, particularly if you are going to keep it afloat from your other revenue streams.

£15-20K isn't going to get you that impressive of a moon-themed retail environment.

- - - Updated - - -

So do you live in the village of Thorntonhall?

Please carry on. This is funny.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    So do you live in the village of Thorntonhall?
    Newton mearns it's right next to thorntonhall

It's a bad idea. The prestige clothing stores in Jersey and the Isle of Man, collections group, went into liquidation. Seemed to carry the only good selection of designer wear, Stone Island, CP, Armani, etc. But still went under, and they had a lot of well off customers and great shops.

I also know the owners of the Islands previous premium clothing store and they couldn't make it pay what it used to any longer.

Youll get get the usual Jessops effect. People will try on for size, and buy online for less.
    It's just a matter of time...

Newton mearns it's right next to thorntonhall

I know where it is but I just wondered if you did. So your claim of "living next to her" was not factually accurate.

Master
    Look to be honest I'm not sure. I'm wanting to obviously have current seasons and mainly stone island stuff depending on costs I'll try and buy the full range because stone island don't actually make that much stuff each season been buying there clothes myself for past 15 years or so.
    I agree I need to do a lot of research but to be fair I only asked people's opinions on running a shop and I bet well over half the people on this thread that like to hide behind there keyboard giving there 2cents have never owned a shop just like to talk shit
    I bet well over 99% of people on this thread have never owned THEIR own shop however it doesn't exclude them from being aware of basic economics and spotting some jackass idea with a business plan scratched into the back of a fag packet(and thats being kind).

Journeyman
    I know where it is but I just wondered if you did. So your claim of "living next to her" was not factually accurate.
    Well it's literally 2 mins from my house and see her driving past Newton mearns a lot although not seen her in past month. So yea I think I can say I live just next to her since she lives at the Newton mearns side of thorntonhall and not the EK side.

Anyone own a shop ?

Owning and running a shop requires an awful lot of commitment in the early days/years. Find the right niche and it can be at least moderately successful though.

I've no experience of clothes retail although I did own a convenience store for ten years but there are plenty of young people who do exactly what the OP is thinking about, some of which make a great success of it.

My advice to the OP is you've seen a potential opportunity, now it's time to really do some thorough research to see if it could be a reality.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 3rd January 2017 at 14:50.

Craftsman
    I own (and rent out) shops in Glasgow to retailers (tho not in Newton Mearns) including to a girl who does clothes rather successfully. That's her place in the centre of the pic.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...a30767!6m1!1e1

Retailing clothes is not her only business. She works to a certain business plan but it's very far from 'opening a nice shop with nice stock and hoping for the best'. The days of getting away with that are decades gone. And you would be astonishingly lucky to 'get away' with that, especially in a tertiary (at best) shopping area like Newton Mearns.

I'm also a partner in a clothing business. We manufacture (in Asia) and import (from the factory) high quality sportswear and supply it to retailers, mainly via distributors.

In between the destructive and negative comments you've received you've also received quite a lot of helpful and reality based hints and pointers including from those with realtime 'ragtrade' experience. You seem very early in the business plan stage so you should heed them. One that probably passed you by was the suggestion that you start in The Barras. If I was you, that's what I'd do. Because really the only other way to make this have even a chance of happening would be seriously expensive, and without intense and insightful direction that serious cost would end in the bin just as fast as the £50k you are likely to waste doing a watered down version.

Don't for one moment think there's anything wrong with starting at The Barras. The list of household name retailers who started with a stall, round doors, or out the back of a van is a very long one. It's a massive learning experience which fully replicates the startup you've outlined for a tenth of the cost. And that experience will 'teach' you almost everything you need to know when it proves that it's ready to be upscaled.

Well what was it a Bentley or a Jeep?

I bet well over 99% of people on this thread have never owned THEIR own shop however it doesn't exclude them from being aware of basic economics and spotting some jackass idea with a business plan scratched into the back of a fag packet(and thats being kind).
    That's not exactly fair. To be fair to the guy, he has seen other people wearing clothes so he's already got a good handle on how it would work. He's got the basics of how a shop works too, customers come in and hand over money in exchange for clothes. How much more difficult can it be??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Well what was it a Bentley or a Jeep?
    Jeep is often used by teuchters as a synonym for any 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Owning and running a shop requires an awful lot of commitment in the early days/years. Find the right niche and it can be at least moderately successful though.

I've no experience of clothes retail although I did own a convenience store for ten years but there are plenty of young people who do exactly what the OP is thinking about, some of which make a great success of it.

My advice to the OP is you've seen a potential opportunity, now it's time to really do some thorough research to see if it could be a reality.
    I've no experience of clothes retail either, but I've got a family member who has and she's created a successful business out of a single clothes shop. Given the location of it, her lack of prior experience and the price-point she stocks I was astonished that it would survive, let alone flourish. But it has.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    The OP seams to already have the answers to the questions he's asked, strange.

Well it's literally 2 mins from my house and see her driving past Newton mearns a lot although not seen her in past month. So yea I think I can say I live just next to her since she lives at the Newton mearns side of thorntonhall and not the EK side.

It means bugger all, our Daughter lived less than two minutes from Holyrood Palace but she has very little in common with the House of Windsor, House of Fraser Perhaps.

Journeyman
    It means bugger all, our Daughter lived less than two minutes from Holyrood Palace but she has very little in common with the House of Windsor, House of Fraser Perhaps.
    Lol see this is the problem with idiots on forums what does it matter really I'm asking about shop advice. I said I live next to her because for some reason her name popped up. so it's maybe 5 mins away at most used to walk past her her house sometimes when out with my dog. I bet your a right idiot in real life seriously who Cares.I was born in possil park arguably the worst area in Scotland. What is your problem ? I've no interest in anything you have to say and your probably not interested in anything I have to say so why even comment. Do you just like to talk rubbish hiding behind your little keyboard where your safe lol ?
    Last edited by Gmtmastertwo; 3rd January 2017 at 16:22.

Master
    ^^ You need to brush up on the rules of this forum

I won't quote your bad language above, as it means that both of us would get the ban.
    Well done.

Do you just like to talk rubbish hiding behind your little keyboard where your safe lol ?
    That's twice you've called out people from behind your keyboard. Tough guy?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayMan View Post
    Stone Island ; The goto choice of fashion wear for football thugs everywhere.
    I couldn't name 5 footballers if you paid me but have a wardrobe full, you might be stuck in the 90's mate
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    No as tough as you by the sound of things but I don't talk shit to people on forums always Think if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything.

Swearing isn't permitted in G&D - you might want to edit your comments to remove it before you are banned.

Lol see this is the problem with idiots on forums what does it matter really I'm asking about shop advice. I said I live next to her because for some reason her name popped up. so it's maybe 5 mins away at most used to walk past her her house sometimes when out with my dog. I bet your a right idiot in real life seriously who gives a fcuk I was born in possil park arguably the worst area in Scotland. What is your problem ? I've no interest in anything you have to say and your probably not interested in anything I have to say so why even comment. Do you just like to talk rubbish hiding behind your little keyboard where your safe lol ?
    I'm interest in why you have tried to claim that you live next to a rich and successful woman who resides in nice suburb of Glasgow when you clearly do not. The livingroom in your videos suggests you have a modest home, with a smallish front room, nothing at all wrong with it, so perhaps taking the chip off your shoulder might be the next step for you in enjoying the success you have created for yourself from such humble beginnings.

Journeyman
    And it's true anyway what is it with forums in general I go on saddo boxing forum been a member for probably over 10 years so don't get shit on there but when somone new joins and maybe posts something that the masses maybe don't agree with, they get ripped to shreds. Seriously what's the deal with that ? Only been on a handful of forums but they generally all seem to be the same just toxic people. No all mind you some decent and helpful posts on this thread but the majority are just trolling.
    Also what's not aloud bad words or calling somone an idiot ? Come on this is surly a adult forums this can't be so
    Last edited by Gmtmastertwo; 3rd January 2017 at 16:21.

Journeyman
    I'm interest in why you have tried to claim that you live next to a rich and successful woman who resides in nice suburb of Glasgow when you clearly do not. The livingroom in your videos suggests you have a modest home, with a smallish front room, nothing at all wrong with it, so perhaps taking the chip off your shoulder might be the next step for you in enjoying the success you have created for yourself from such humble beginnings.
    Lol omg this is brilliant that's actually my 2nd living room that doesn't get used not that it matters. I certainly don't have a chip on my shoulder and I actually used to live in thorntonhall but the house I'm in now is bigger again not that it matters.
    I was born is possil park as I said very bad area of Glasgow some very nice people there but not somewhere you really want to live. Left school with zero qualifications worked extremely hard for 15 years and over they years bought a few houses flats and then invested in a company my brother in law started. I believe I have a extremely blessed life have a few young children that I can spend all day everyday with as I'm very fortunate that I don't need to work, so what makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder ?
    Why does it annoy you so much because I said I live next to someone famous ? I also stay next to a few footballers who cares, as I said I wouldn't of said anything had her name popped up, and it's probably less than 1 miles away so I don't see the problem saying I stay next to her.
    Last edited by Gmtmastertwo; 3rd January 2017 at 16:17.

No as tough as you by the sound of things but I don't talk shit to people on forums always Think if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything.
    What have I said that suggests I think of myself as a tough guy?

You're the one who has called out the keyboard warriors and now you want us to know all about your boxing. I'd suggest there's but one keyboard warrior in here pal.

Journeyman
    What have I said that suggests I think of myself as a tough guy?

You're the one who has called out the keyboard warriors and now you want us to know all about your boxing. I'd suggest there's but one keyboard warrior in here pal.
    Come on your trying to bait me lol cause I said I go on saddo boxing forum what does that mean exactly if I went of a football forum would I be trying to say I'm a footballer lol use guys are something else

Blog Entries
    I stopped buying expensive shirts and sweaters with little animals, guys with a club and other funny stuff on it a long time ago. it's only cotton after all, and mostly from Asia.

Expensive shoes yes, and a new 501 every year.

I just got my Fat Face shirts in from the UK yesterday, 48,- GBP and 45,- GBP, the one I'm wearing is five years old now. Now if you are going to sell those.................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Come on your trying to bait me lol cause I said I go on saddo boxing forum what does that mean exactly if I went of a football forum would I be trying to say I'm a footballer lol use guys are something else
    Am only hear fur tha famous Glesga banter.

Lol omg this is brilliant that's actually my 2nd living room that doesn't get used not that it matters. I certainly don't have a chip on my shoulder and I actually used to live in thorntonhall but the house I'm in now is bigger again not that it matters.
    I was born is possil park as I said very bad area of Glasgow some very nice people there but not somewhere you really want to live. Left school with zero qualifications worked extremely hard for 15 years and over they years bought a few houses flats and then invested in a company my brother in law started. I believe I have a extremely blessed life have a few young children that I can spend all day everyday with as I'm very fortunate that I don't need to work, so what makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder ?
    Why does it annoy you so much because I said I live next to someone famous ? I also stay next to a few footballers who cares, as I said I wouldn't of said anything had her name popped up, and it's probably less than 1 miles away so I don't see the problem saying I stay next to her.
    As you please, but living 5 mins way is not living next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I stopped buying expensive shirts and sweaters with little animals, guys with a club and other funny stuff on it a long time ago. it's only cotton after all, and mostly from Asia.
    I stopped buying expensive shirts and sweaters with little animals, guys with a club and other funny stuff on it a long time ago. it's only cotton after all, and mostly from Asda.

Journeyman
    As you please, but living 5 mins way is not living next to them.
    Well I suppose it's better than living in Bathgate that place really is a hole lol

Well I suppose it's better than living in Bathgate that place really is a hole lol
    But I'm only 5mins from living next door to F1 driver Paul di Resta, I often see him drink Red Bull and driving a AMG Merc.

Journeyman
    But I'm only 5mins from living next door to F1 driver Paul di Resta, I often see him drink Red Bull and driving a AMG Merc.
    Well you have made it then haven't you hen but seriously that Bathgate is a dump
    Last edited by Gmtmastertwo; 3rd January 2017 at 17:58.

Well you have made it then haven't you lol but seriously that Bathgate is a dump
    If we have bottomed out at insulting where we live I'm happy to leave this one alone, good luck with your new venture. I'm out.