timefactors watches
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet Shaving

Wet Shaving

As well as having a WIS habit Im also into traditional wet shaving. Here is my modest collection:

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/lent...lyuth.jpg.html

Very nice, you are in good company here. I know there are quite a few who have a nice collection. This is some of mine.

I go so far as a badger brush and Taylors of Bond St tubs of cream. And a Gillette Fusion because I refuse to bleed just to be manly.

Talk about re-inventing the wheel

Shaving oil/Gillette 5 blade thing

One of my favourite shave creams is Acqua di Parma and an added bonus is SWMBO loves the smell of it on me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    Very nice, you are in good company here. I know there are quite a few who have a nice collection. This is some of mine.

I absolutely love shaving. Would that be a Wolfmann I see before me? You lucky thing....

Master
    I've a half dozen various cutthroat razors, thiers issard etc. Don't use them that much though as always too lazy to shave :)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I absolutely love shaving. Would that be a Wolfmann I see before me? You lucky thing....
    Cheers, no I'm not that lucky!! It's a Gillette NEW head on an Ikon handle.

Another fan here, for about 5-6 years.

I regularly use a DE and have tried a straight a few times but not since the new baby's arrival.

If you want to disappear down the forum rabbit hole I can recommend http://www.atgshaving.com/ for a good UK site.

Wet Shaving

@Dowsing

That's a very nice brush, I've just registered n the site you recommended. Cheers.

I'd only ever DE & proper soap/ brush now, cartridges & canned gloop just don't compare IMO.

I've been DE shaving for 3-4 years now, I love it. Nothing better that taking the time to go through my routine. It's nearly time to order a new cream. Castle and Forbes lavender next me thinks....

Craftsman
    I love shaving with a DE razor,but it's finding the time.... I love the routine, decent soap,couple of passes, good balm and sigh ......... instead it's rush rush,cartridge ,always a good brush and cream though must get outta my pit earlier and make the effort.

@Dowsing

That's a very nice brush, I've just registered n the site you recommended. Cheers.
    Thanks Roy, I hope that your wallet doesn't suffer too much

Hey Tricker,

Try the Obesessive Soap Perfectionist products, they are outstanding:http://www.shavingstation.co.uk/osp-shaving-soap/

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I've been DE shaving for 3-4 years now, I love it. Nothing better that taking the time to go through my routine. It's nearly time to order a new cream. Castle and Forbes lavender next me thinks....

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Thanks Roy, I hope that your wallet doesn't suffer too much
    Your welcome, I've been a member on Badger & Blade for a few years now so know all about various Acquisition Disorders!

Blog Entries
    If you're going to do it properly...

Japanese Iwasaki Kamisori made by a master swordsmith from Swedish Steel.

The shave it gives is EPIC but it's flipping tricky to do my left cheek... I'd love a professional barber to shave me with it but those I've asked so far won't touch it due to insurance reasons.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amnesia; 3rd January 2017 at 23:13.

That Kamisori is stunning. One good thing about tge Wetshaving hobby is that it costs much less than watches.

Last edited by captain_hx; 4th January 2017 at 06:24.

Craftsman
    Used a Pure Badger brush and Proraso shaving cream for years, but still use disposable razors, keep promising to use a Double Edge razor.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Hey Tricker,

Try the Obesessive Soap Perfectionist products, they are outstanding:http://www.shavingstation.co.uk/osp-shaving-soap/
    Thanks Henk,

I'm gonna take a mooch of them, appreciate the pointer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I love shaving with a DE razor,but it's finding the time.... I love the routine, decent soap,couple of passes, good balm and sigh ......... instead it's rush rush,cartridge ,always a good brush and cream though must get outta my pit earlier and make the effort.
    I keep an electric on standby for when time is short.

Also a convert to DE. Was fed up with razors, shaving is now a relaxing and enjoyable affair rather than a chore. Have tried the Taylor's soap but it's a bit "old man" for me. Now using bluebeards, some interesting sounding ones on henks link to look at.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    That Kamisori is stunning. One good thing about tge Wetshaving hobby is that it costs much less than watches.
    Not necessarily... that Kamisori cost me more than a new Seiko Sumo, the brush more than a SKX007.

And the 20+ straights that I have weren't all cheap, either.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Hey Tricker,

Hey Henk, thanks again for the link. I've pulled the trigger on the orange and patchouli flavour. 80% of my fragrances contain patchouli, so I'm looking forward to trying this one out.

Master
    I like the idea and have a DE shaver but end up cutting my self around the chin and beck. Thanks for the link.

Now we are talking

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I like the idea and have a DE shaver but end up cutting my self around the chin and beck. Thanks for the link.
    If you fancy it, stick with it. It does become easier, very light pressure and short strokes are the key, if you are used to a multi blade cartridge razor that takes your stubble off in one go then it takes some getting used to. You probably will have to make 2 - 3 passes; with the grain, across the grain and if you want really close against the grain.

To help with cuts get yourself a styptic pencil or an Alum Block, these are great for nicks and weepers.

Best of luck, it is nice way to shave once you get the hang of it

Craftsman
    Any recommendations on what DE to get.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Any recommendations on what DE to get.
    I have a DE89 going spare. Happy to send it your way if you put a fiver in the fund raiser. It's a great starter...very forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    If you're going to do it properly...

Japanese Iwasaki Kamisori made by a master swordsmith from Swedish Steel.

The shave it gives is EPIC but it's flipping tricky to do my left cheek... I'd love a professional barber to shave me with it but those I've asked so far won't touch it due to insurance reasons.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    That brush looks superb, what is it pease?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Not sure if you've seen the three part introduction to wet shaving on you tube by mantic59? I recommend watching those. My Dad didn't teach me to wet shave; mantic59 did

I think I need a new brush my current one is very very soft. Its well made and lasting well but I feel a stiffer brush may work well with my stiff bristles!
    Current set up is here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Razor-shaving
    Current brush as above is the New Forest Tubby 1 High Mountain Two Band
    Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    I think it's an original restored Rubberset 400 (some modern brush makers make their own versions). These are fantastic handles and great fun restoring back to a shine like this one. Most don't have original knot, I put a Golden Nib 26mm badger in mine.
    Last edited by Jpshell; 11th January 2017 at 22:19.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89, Feather blades, a nice Edwin Jagger badger brush and usually Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shave cream. Basic Nivea balm after. All works really well and after 8 years I'm pretty quick and cuts are very rare. It cured the neck rash that Gilette Mach 3's or electric razors used to give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I think I need a new brush my current one is very very soft. Its well made and lasting well but I feel a stiffer brush may work well with my stiff bristles!
    Current set up is here:
    Any recommendations?
    Have a look at the Vulfix Grovsvenor 404, it's a mix of Badger and Boar hair, I've got one and it's not too dear to try and works well with soaps and creams,.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I use an Edwin Jagger DE89, Feather blades, a nice Edwin Jagger badger brush and usually Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shave cream. Basic Nivea balm after. All works really well and after 8 years I'm pretty quick and cuts are very rare. It cured the neck rash that Gilette Mach 3's or electric razors used to give me.
    When I first started I was very slow, I then saw a video about short quick strokes, I gave it a go and now it's no bother to whizz round, it does take so many shaves for the muscle memory to imprint.

Have a look at the Vulfix Grovsvenor 404, it's a mix of Badger and Boar hair, I've got one and it's not too dear to try and works well with soaps and creams,.
    Thanks. I'll check it out .

Craftsman
    PM sent jeepie, now where did I put those plasters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    I think it's an original restored Rubberset 400 (some modern brush makers make their own versions). These are fantastic handles and great fun restoring back to a shine like this one. Most don't have original knot, I put a Golden Nib 26mm badger in mine.
    It's actually a 'new' Rubberset 400 (replica), with a large super badger knot. It was made to order from a guy on theshavingroom forum.
    It's a beautifully soft brush that actually floats when it's loaded with soap !

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Current set up is here:
    Any recommendations?
    This Stirling brush is getting rave reviews everywhere at the moment: https://www.stirlingsoap.com/finest-...24mm-fan-knot/
    I think https://www.shavingstation.co.uk/sha...s/?sort=newest will be getting them in stock later this month

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    If you're after a this Rubberset 400 style I can recommend Markus Herber on Facebook who makes these:

There's also a company in Spain, BSB brushes that do them: http://www.bsbshavingbrushes.com/

Craftsman
    Carter and Bond have a great selection and brushes and soaps/cream.

I use a single blade, and have found it's reduced irritation considerably.

However, I use a cheap brush from Boots, a plastic Wilkinson Sword razor and blades, and Boots shaving cream.

Will I actually notice any difference by buying expensive products? Or is it just a luxury/I like to pamper myself, 'ting ?

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    I use a single blade, and have found it's reduced irritation considerably.

However, I use a cheap brush from Boots, a plastic Wilkinson Sword razor and blades, and Boots shaving cream.

Will I actually notice any difference by buying expensive products? Or is it just a luxury/I like to pamper myself, 'ting ?
    Upgrade to a decent DE razor (Mines a Merkur 23C) and use Gillette 7 o' clock blades (yellow). I get mine from Connaught shaving and they are cheap if you buy bulk. Order some Proraso shave soap/cream and give that a go and see how it compares to the Boots. This should give an improved shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Upgrade to a decent DE razor (Mines a Merkur 23C) and use Gillette 7 o' clock blades (yellow). I get mine from Connaught shaving and they are cheap if you buy bulk. Order some Proraso shave soap/cream and give that a go and see how it compares to the Boots. This should give an improved shave.
    Many thanks for the recommendation, I think I will go with it

I brought some sort of Merkur before, but found it worse than my plastic Wilkinson one as it was short handled, - your recommendation looks much better.

May I ask however, how does a quality razor such as this aid shaving? Given that it's the blade that's doing the work?

Craftsman
    May I ask however, how does a quality razor such as this aid shaving? Given that it's the blade that's doing the work?
    The razor is more accurately machined to hold the blade firmly in place across its width so you get a more consistent contact of blade with face.

I use Gillette 7 o'clock yellows too. They are very sharp. Perhaps a milder Astra or derby would be better? Or buy a sample pack

Ah, that makes sense - thank-you for clearing that up :)

Placed order, 45 qualifies for free shipping so went with:

Merkur 23C Safety Razor 1 20.00 20.00

Transparent Shaving Gel by Proraso 100 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Proraso ALOE & Vitamin E Shaving Cream TUBE 150 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Proraso SANDALWOOD Shaving Cream TUBE 150 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Gillette 7 O'Clock SHARP EDGE Stainless (RUS) 20 0.20 4.00

Total 45.00

I have used sharper blades before, I brought a pack of samples, Lords and suchlike... I have been reading that the 7oclocks are duller than Feathers, which also seem popular...

Love the yellows. My favourites blades also.

Blog Entries
    Ah, that makes sense - thank-you for clearing that up :)

Placed order, 45 qualifies for free shipping so went with:

Merkur 23C Safety Razor 1 20.00 20.00

Transparent Shaving Gel by Proraso 100 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Proraso ALOE & Vitamin E Shaving Cream TUBE 150 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Proraso SANDALWOOD Shaving Cream TUBE 150 ml 1 4.50 4.50

Gillette 7 O'Clock SHARP EDGE Stainless (RUS) 20 0.20 4.00

Total 45.00

I have used sharper blades before, I brought a pack of samples, Lords and suchlike... I have been reading that the 7oclocks are duller than Feathers, which also seem popular...
    Looks like a good selection

Feathers are an acquired taste... some get on with them (I do), some don't. Get yourself a taster pack from the wonderweb and see what you like. The 7 o'clocks will be just fine though.

You'll soon be shaving in the shower without a mirror

Never looked back since I started using Feathers but you have to accept that they blunt very quickly. 2 shaves, maybe 3 maximum and I need to put a new blade in. I buy the blades in bulk from Amazon though, a years worth each time, which keeps the cost down.

Feathers have a second hone, so they're really sharp, but lose their edge quite quickly.

My favourite combo:

The brush is a New Forest Best Badger, which doesn't contain any parts of a New Forest Badger, and like the Acca Kappa stuff is no longer available in the UK.