closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it for real? 'British ASA bans BMW ad'

Blog Entries

Is it for real? 'British ASA bans BMW ad'

On a Dutch car related blog:

'The British ASA (Advertising Standard Authority) has banned this BMW ad because it can encourage reckless driving'

Here's another source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...anned-ASA.html

It puzzles me why the brilliant Jaguar commercials ('villains drive Jaguar') are allowed...

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 27th April 2017 at 14:38.

For real, yes.

Two issues were raised and both were upheld:

1. The complainant challenged whether BMW had made speed the main message of the ad.

2. The complainant also noted that the Highway Code prohibited driving without reasonable consideration for other road users, and therefore challenged whether the claim "Luxury just lost its manners" condoned irresponsible driving.

Details of the full ruling HERE.

Smacks of a deliberate publicity stunt to me.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Smacks of a deliberate publicity stunt to me.
    Does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Does that happen?
    As in, "let's run an ad that possibly just crosses the line with the ASA, but we can probably get away with a smacked wrist, and the side-effect of national press coverage/social media/loads of free publicity"?

I'd say quite often! Good work by BMW marketing.

At least they'd left the indicator out of the advert....... that's about right at least ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    As in, "let's run an ad that possibly just crosses the line with the ASA, but we can probably get away with a smacked wrist, and the side-effect of national press coverage/social media/loads of free publicity"?

I'd say quite often! Good work by BMW marketing.
    That's an idea. Run the ad, knowing that there will be a storm and have a complain letter in storage at the PR office and pretend to be a normal citizen who's worried about BMWs 'ferocious' advertising style... Or is it too much conspiracy thinking?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's an idea. Run the ad, knowing that there will be a storm and have a complain letter in storage at the PR office and pretend to be a normal citizen who's worried about BMWs 'ferocious' advertising style... Or is it too much conspiracy thinking?

M.
    There's certainly a long history of firms running deliberately provocative ad's, hoping to create a secondary buzz where they effectively get publicity "for free".

Whether this is one of them is the question, but it smells that way. Particularly, it was a "one off" in a single market (in a single mag, unless I've misunderstood) - which I'm sure limits the "downside".

The result? Worldwide publicity in all petrolhead publications/websites!

If it sounds like a duck...

Regardless of what the ad says it's still a barge. Worst, a barge that depreciates quicker that its accelerates.

IMHO.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    These cars are bought by companies as an executive car, often with a 'chauffeur' driving his boss around the country. At that level, no-one talks about depreciation or 'manners'. It's a comfortable tool to get from A to B.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    These cars are bought by companies as an executive car, often with a 'chauffeur' driving his boss around the country. At that level, no-one talks about depreciation or 'manners'. It's a comfortable tool to get from A to B.

Menno
    This. And the 'M' badge must make it more interesting on those Autobahn.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'd have to say, what an utterly pointless car.

Far too big to be anything other than a rapidly accelerating barge - it isn't a drivers car, so you might as well have the 730D, which will be exactly the same for 99.9% of the time it is driven.

Or get a Tesla S which would still leave it for dead, but without making you look like a cock.

ETA - I should add that I bought an XJR (the version previous to the current one) years back. That was also far too big to be a "sports" driving experience - hell, it wouldn't get into most multi-storey car parks...

What I learned from the experience is that very large luxo-barges simply don't benefit from hugely overpowered engines. These are cars to waft along in, not attempt to hurl down a country road or drive like a 911. They simply don't benefit from the massive power and huge price premium. Get the lower power version instead and spend the difference on a nice Cayman.

This BM above is nothing more than Bavaria's latest entry in the p*ss*ng contest it has with Audi whose uber-power estate cars are equally daft.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 27th April 2017 at 20:52.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    In the top ranks of big companies, something funny happens: CEOs are under and above the law - and so are their chauffeurs. The procurement beancounters allow nothing to others, lower employees, but in many cases it's the chauffeur who's given the task to come up with a shortlist of cars. In many cases he's also the person who's ordering the car.
    The 'you go out and pick the car' attitude can be seen as a compensation for the ungodly hours the chauffeur has to pull up in front of the CEOs house to transport his boss, his wife, his children...*).

Funny thing is: the CEO and his chauffeur can end up with a lifelong friendship. Over in our workshop, often we get a visit from two elderly men, together restoring VWs. They come in for a coffee on Saturday morning. One is the former (now retired) CEO of an international company, the other his former chauffeur. Friends for life. (drifting off topic here)

Menno

*) A sailing buddy's father was the CEO of one of the big oil multinationals. He told me that his father's chauffeur made sure that he and his sister always were on time at school for exams etc... He never looked at it as 'my parents didn't pay attention enough'. He regards his father's chauffeur as an additional parent!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    ...This BM above is nothing more than Bavaria's latest entry in the p*ss*ng contest it has with Audi whose uber-power estate cars are equally daft.
    ...and who might well have engineered the ASA complaint.

This BM above is nothing more than Bavaria's latest entry in the p*ss*ng contest it has with Audi whose uber-power estate cars are equally daft.
    That's as maybe but this one actually looks the dogs 8ollox though doesn't it ?

Master
    We can argue for months about whether a large-engined luxury car is "worth it", in much the same way as we argue if a £5000 watch is better than a £200 Citizen for telling the time .................... the fact of the matter is that some people will always buy what they perceive to be the "best". Resale value has no meaning in this market as has been said, it is a disposable working tool and the cost is written down over a few years as a tax-deductible expense.

Of course, in native Germany and probably in the Middle East, performance IS important and although you may waft around London, the autobahnen are inhabited with Audi, BMW and AMG Mercedes limos all capable of cruising all day at 200kph + . However, in London, the use of hybrid or all-electric limos in Central London is likely to be compulsory very soon. The chauffeurs do indeed tend to be given the privilege of specifying the car they use, the CEO's driver of one of the multi-nationals managed to squeeze over £40,000 worth of options onto his car!

Tesla? Very nice cars and a great concept but the Captains of Industry may need to travel more than 300 miles without recharging.

Finally, having spent many hours behind the wheels of Mercedes E and S Class saloons and the latest 5 and 7 series BMWs, I can affirm they may be large but they are not the "barges" they used to be. Though they may not be as nimble as a VW Golf GTI, and possibly because of the emphasis on their abilities in anti-terrorist evasive driving, they are capable of very ungentlemanly roadholding and handling that would definitely stir the Chairman.

I'd have to say, what an utterly pointless car.

Far too big to be anything other than a rapidly accelerating barge - it isn't a drivers car, so you might as well have the 730D, which will be exactly the same for 99.9% of the time it is driven.

Or get a Tesla S which would still leave it for dead, but without making you look like a cock.

ETA - I should add that I bought an XJR (the version previous to the current one) years back. That was also far too big to be a "sports" driving experience - hell, it wouldn't get into most multi-storey car parks...

What I learned from the experience is that very large luxo-barges simply don't benefit from hugely overpowered engines. These are cars to waft along in, not attempt to hurl down a country road or drive like a 911. They simply don't benefit from the massive power and huge price premium. Get the lower power version instead and spend the difference on a nice Cayman.

I'm just quoting myself here because frankly I don't really know what came over me when I made that post.

I can only conclude I was having a bit of a funny turn.

I have never been anti hugely overpowered cars in any form, quite the opposite in fact. I've owned quite a number, and given that I am currently considering purchasing a Bentley Continental GT, the post above makes no sense whatsoever.

So BMW 760 Twin Turbo, I applaud you in all your pointless excess, and Audi for making the most unnescessary but gloriously mad estate cars.

But on balance I probably would still have a Tesla S, because Ludicrous Mode is just beyond brilliant in my book.

Hmmm... I'm now off to Autotrader to look at Tesla S's...

So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Had the 7 series load of crap.

On the other hand my A8 wafts along, tows my caravan, put it in dynamic mode slices through most cars with ease and will sit very comfortably at 130 MPH in 8th touching 3000 RPM returning 37mpg.

It's even better if I take the caravan off.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That's as maybe but this one actually looks the dogs 8ollox though doesn't it ?
    These plastic-panelled pseudo-performance cars have all looked about the same to me since they started building them in the same automated way as Toyotas, which was roughly the mid-'90s.

They are everything you want but I guarantee you there is nothing pseudo about the performances this beast is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    These plastic-panelled pseudo-performance cars have all looked about the same to me since they started building them in the same automated way as Toyotas, which was roughly the mid-'90s.
    Just maybe, you need new glasses then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They are everything you want but I guarantee you there is nothing pseudo about the performances this beast is capable of.
    I have no doubt that it's obscenely fast, but it's also gigantic — and it's not like someone's going to notice much difference between 300 hp and 600 hp unless they make a habit of driving like an asshole, anyway.

Is it for real? 'British ASA bans BMW ad'

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I have no doubt that it's obscenely fast, but it's also gigantic — and it's not like someone's going to notice much difference between 300 hp and 600 hp unless they make a habit of driving like an asshole, anyway.
    I do not disagree about the way they are used outside the Nurburgring. I only picked you up on the 'pseudo' bit. Because with the 4WD and a very competent driver they will put more than a few Porsche to shame.

I was invited by BMW to drive a variety of M cars at Soho Farmhouse last month, including the M760li. I'd seriously consider buying one if I was in the market for a car in which I could lie down in the back but also have a bit of fun in when the chauffeur is on a day off. it's an awesome bit of kit, yes it's ballistically fast and yes it's pretty big but it is also fairly nimble - being able to drive the car from the keyfob is a good party trick too.

Agreed the Tesla is a quick car but the range is a limiting factor and the build quality is pretty poor. Check out the panel gaps on a P90 and the interior feels cheap - I do like the big central control panel though.

Last edited by Alex L; 29th April 2017 at 23:55.