closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steinhart Explorer Limited Edition from Gnomon - Heads Up

Steinhart Explorer Limited Edition from Gnomon - Heads Up

A heads up if anyone is interested in Steinhart limited editions:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...-edition-50pcs

Aw, man!! You got me all excited for a moment Ken, I've been quietly willing Steinhart to do an Explorer rip-off homage for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Aw, man!! You got me all excited for a moment Ken, I've been quietly willing Steinhart to do an Explorer rip-off homage for ages.
    Now, now Paul - you know how it works. These will sell out in days and then start appearing on e-bay with huge mark-ups.

Just giving the chaps and early heads up - if they want it for themselves or want to make a quick buck is their call.

I like it, affordable good looking GMT that is unlikely to lose much value if I get bored with it

Master
    Are these not available from Steinhart themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    No, they are exclusive limited editions from Gnomon. I have bought from them before, they are easy to deal with and you have the watch in about 3 days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No, they are exclusive limited editions from Gnomon. I have bought from them before, they are easy to deal with and you have the watch in about 3 days.
    Thanks. Are there any import taxes? Gnomon seem to be Singapore based.

Thanks. Are there any import taxes? Gnomon seem to be Singapore based.
    Yes there are import taxes. DHL contact you and give you a price and a reference and you go on their website and pay on-line.

The vintage GMT is currently available from Neil at Chronomaster for £445.00, but it is the normal edition with the flat sapphire crystal.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/steinh...0211+-+sth-19/

Yes there are import taxes. DHL contact you and give you a price and a reference and you go on their website and pay on-line.

The vintage GMT is currently available from Neil at Chronomaster for £445.00, but it is the normal edition with the flat sapphire crystal.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/steinh...0211+-+sth-19/
    I know its all personal taste but I much prefer the darker 'aged' colour of the lume on the Gnomon version, reading the spec it hints to it being a darker dial as well (??)

Thanks for the heads up, I have gone for one

Thanks for the heads up Ken. Just put an order in for one of those.

Master
    There seems to be two additions of this watch. One comes with Gunter Steinharts sig on the back and includes a leather strap and fancy box. The cheaper addition doesn't have any extras but is 100 dollars cheaper. I'm quite tempted by the cheaper version.

I put an order in as well, I went for Gunter Steinhart version.

For info: $720 came out at £604 on the PayPal checkout.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th December 2016 at 18:03.

This way it saves them shipping all the way to Germany from the Chinese factory.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    This way it saves them shipping all the way to Germany from the Chinese factory.
    I've often wondered where in Switzerland Steinhart get their watches made after they stopped using Grovana. I have occasionally thought it might be Synergies Horlogères.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have occasionally thought it might be Synergies Horlogères.
    Would that not be a CW exclusive, Mark ?

Master
    42mm though - pity if you like the original, good news if you have large wrists I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    42mm though - pity if you like the original, good news if you have large wrists I guess...
    I have 7" wrists and they sit fine on me. Same size as a Speedmaster and a lot of people on here own those.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Would that not be a CW exclusive, Mark ?
    Not as far as I know. SH's business certainly used to be about OEMing for anyone who could pay (such as Christopher Ward!) and in magazine articles they promote the fact that they still supply MeisterSinger with movements (the SH21). SH's website, here www.synhor.ch/service-2/?lang=en, implies that they are still open for business from others including for series production:

Our service range

Development: movements, modules, watches
    Construction: Measuring, 2D, 3D
    Industrialisation processes
    In-house prototyping and tool making (turning, CNC machining, gearing, finishing)
    Series production

There's certainly nothing on the website that suggests that they are exclusive to CW now.

I put an order in as well, I went for Gunter Steinhart version.

For info: $720 came out at £604 on the PayPal checkout.
    Me too! I think they look great.

Master
    I have 7" wrists and they sit fine on me. Same size as a Speedmaster and a lot of people on here own those.
    Yes probably fine for most though a touch too large for me personally. Just pointing out to anyone who's in love with the original that this will be larger, looking at it you'd assume it would be the same, but Steinhart seem to assume bigger is better. I'd have preferred it 1:1, others may appreciate the extra size.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 29th December 2016 at 18:57.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Me too! I think they look great.
    The superdome crystal and no cyclops did it for me. The one on Chronomaster looks dull by comparison.

I registered my e-mail details with both Gnomon and Steinhart and get regular updates from them.

Thats at least 3 from the forum today so I doubt the 50 will last long

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Thats at least 3 from the forum today so I doubt the 50 will last long
    As you said earlier, bit of a no brainier really. If you get fed up and sell on you are not going to lose money.

Nice watch i must say.

I dont really do impulse purchases (especially when I am waiting for a call from Rolex) so I was a bit unsure if I should have bought this yesterday, just noticed a wrist shot on WUS a moment ago and I have to say it looks great

Pic posted by roguehog on WUS

I dont really do impulse purchases (especially when I am waiting for a call from Rolex) so I was a bit unsure if I should have bought this yesterday, just noticed a wrist shot on WUS a moment ago and I have to say it looks great

Pic posted by roguehog on WUS
    The watch looks even better in that shot, complete with protective sticker still on the glass. I think you made the right call. Sit on it for a while until they are sold out before deciding what to do.

I'd like one of these over the original, but I'll stick with mine and in 20 years that'll be aged lume as well! Flat glass will be back in fashion then too!

The watch looks even better in that shot, complete with protective sticker still on the glass. I think you made the right call. Sit on it for a while until they are sold out before deciding what to do.
    The aren't many left now. Also, just had an email from them to say that I've got serial #4. Please with an early number!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The aren't many left now. Also, just had an email from them to say that I've got serial #4. Please with an early number!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I asked for number 16 and got an e-mail back, sorry 16 has gone, we have reserved Number 26 for you. I'm not fussed, there are only 50 after all.

What's with that bizarre growth on the side of the case where the crown emerges? It's not really a crown guard, does it serve any practical purpose?

First 50 are gone. Damn. I hesitated... And there were 10 when I checked this morning. Oh well...

The "Gunter Steinhart" specials have now all sold out - I shouldn't have looked at this thread earlier this afternoon, not sure what number is coming my way.

Import charges paid (did not break the bank either)

What were they? Roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were they? Roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    less than I was expecting :)
    Last edited by Montybaber; 30th December 2016 at 21:15.

Well... it just goes to show you.. sold out is never sold out until you check! I had emailed Gnomon JUST IN CASE someone backed out or there had been an error with their website stock count. Got an email in the early hours of this morning to tell me that there is ONE left!! Result! I got the last of the 50 signed limited editions.

Thanks OP for the heads up. I've regretted selling my ceramic Ocean 1 last year and have been looking at Steinharts again recently - this one looks to be a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Well... it just goes to show you.. sold out is never sold out until you check! I had emailed Gnomon JUST IN CASE someone backed out or there had been an error with their website stock count. Got an email in the early hours of this morning to tell me that there is ONE left!! Result! I got the last of the 50 signed limited editions.

Thanks OP for the heads up. I've regretted selling my ceramic Ocean 1 last year and have been looking at Steinharts again recently - this one looks to be a beauty!
    Congratulations! From the pics i have seen from people receiving theirs you wont be dissapointed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post

Excellent result, glad you managed to get the last one. That's four of us (I think) who have taken advantage of this. Give it a week and see what people are asking for these on e-bay.

For anyone interested in these deals, sign up for their regular updates.

Great, the first to land. I paid my import duties this morning and mine is currently at Singapore Airport scheduled for delivery on Friday. Yours must have been sent before the New Year break.

You get the honour to post a few more images.

First thoughts ?

Remember the one on e-bay that we both bid on, the L/E of 150. There is another listed and bidding is at £300. Might be worth keeping an eye on it.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd January 2017 at 18:24.

Great, the first to land. I paid my import duties this morning and mine is currently at Singapore Airport scheduled for delivery on Friday. Yours must have been sent before the New Year break.

You get the honour to post a few more images.

First thoughts ?
    I have just got home and opened it up, the package is larger than I was expecting, this is my first Steinhart so I dont know if it is a generic boxset etc? there is a nice carbdoard outer box with a piano black presentation box inside

I was surprised to see it was unbranded but inside there is a steinhart sticker?

My first glance inside Noticed they had included an extra bright orange nato strap which is a bonus, the leather strap looks a nice quality item and also included is two polishing cloths/resizing tool

The watch I have received looks to be number 40 (will double check when I unwrap it) I have got so far as to sliding it onto my wrist to check the size (I was a bit worried about it being a bit big) I think it looks a good fit on my 6.75" wrist...others may not agree

I then decided to pop it all away until I have chance to take a proper look, the watch looks very nice and I am looking forward to wearing it

Sorry that I was first to receive it as my review/photography skills are non existent

The package for the Limited Edition 50 is their top drawer package. Most other watches just come in a black square box with a white outer cardboard box.

Looks lovely.

The package for the Limited Edition 50 is their top drawer package. Most other watches just come in a black square box with a white outer cardboard box.

Looks lovely.
    Thankyou, I see the one on ebay is no 40 too :)

Fantastic! Just paid the import charges on mine and it should be with me on the 6th January. The whole package looks great and, like at least one of the other posters, this is my first Steinhart too.

Brilliant! Great to see the first pictures... but not great that mine's not shipped yet! Oh well, I should be glad I snagged the last one!

Bracelet sized and time set

Bracelet sized and time set
    That looks great. Once you get into Steinhart you realise that you don't need Rolex, Omega and PP etc.

Looking forward to Friday. I put what will be my other Steinhart GMT on Boxing Day and just have no desire to take it off. I will have to let the new one have a go.

That looks great. Once you get into Steinhart you realise that you don't need Rolex, Omega and PP etc.

Looking forward to Friday. I put what will be my other Steinhart GMT on Boxing Day and just have no desire to take it off. I will have to let the new one have a go.

I really like that one and can see why you wouldnt take it off! I have always wanted to try a Steinhart so I am very pleased

Last pic (its too dark) but love the crystal

I really like that one and can see why you wouldnt take it off! I have always wanted to try a Steinhart so I am very pleased

Last pic (its too dark) but love the crystal
    I agree, the superdome crystals are superb, so tactile and of course easy to look after with a tube of Polywatch. For some the size and weight is the issue with Steinhart. I have 7" wrists and haven't had a problem with any of them. They are quite heavy, usually around 200g with a steel bracelet on. I personally like the weight, but if you put it on the leather strap or NATO it will feel completely different.

Once you get into Steinhart you realise that you don't need Rolex, Omega and PP etc.
    I was curious about this, knowing you have first-hand experience. Could you give some sort of comparison? I'd like to understand what about the Steinharts you feel puts them up there with the more expensive brands. (This isn't a sarcastic snipe, and I know it's very subjective etc., but I've been wondering about it as I've seen your collection evolve.)