closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has It Really Been A Year...

Banned

Has It Really Been A Year...

Exactly a year ago today, I was queuing up at the AD’s door, to collect a new watch – a watch I was really looking forward to, possibly more than any other in my thirty years as a watch fanatic – the Rolex Yacht-Master II in steel - you can read about it here...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=everyones

Fast forward a few months to May this year and with work going well I found myself in the lucky position of having some money burning a hole in my pocket. This ‘allowed’ me to look at another watch purchase, but typically in this hobby, as your interest grows, so does your price range (we can debate this until the cows come home, but it’s true).

The problem was, there was nothing in the price range (£10k ish) which took my fancy – first world problem I know - and as always, I started to creep up, until I reached the mid £20k bracket and literally fell in love with the white gold Rolex Sky-Dweller. My problem was, I simply didn’t have enough funds to buy the Sky-Dweller and keep the Yacht-Master II, so off it went in part exchange. Although I was completely smitten with my new acquisition and now over six months on, I accept I made the right choice, smiling each time I strap the Sky-Dweller on daily, I still missed the Yacht-Master II terribly – more than any other watch I’ve flipped and that number certainly exceeds 200 over the years.

I wrote about the Sky-Dweller incoming here...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=everyones

Now, as said, I wear the Sky-Dweller daily and I genuinely consider it to be the best watch available today. With the demand for Rolex and the recent price rise, I certainly won’t lose money when I sell and who knows, I may end up in front. But, as I wear this daily, is spending close to fourteen grand on another watch a reasonable, or logical thing to do? Maybe not, but I had the cash, which would either be spent on crap, or remain in the bank earning nowt, if I could buy right, it would make me happy and not prove to be a disaster if at some later stage I needed to liquidate.

That’s where the grey dealer comes in…

It’s only this last couple of years we have brought them into the equation and to this day, we often have new members asking about the pro’s and con’s – the do and do nots. Warranty is often the main concern, but it really is simple – the manufacturer provides an international guarantee (5 years in my case) from the date on the warranty card. My new watch was supplied to an AD in Austria in late October 2016. I collected the watch – with all stickers intact, hang tag and warranty card which now bears my name – today, so in effect I have lost two months of that warranty, or 3% of the total warranty period as it equates. The plus side? I saved 18% on the purchase price. For me, this is more than a fair trade off. I’m not interested if the suppliers after service is crap – I have the manufacturers warranty.

Anyway, I just thought I’d touch on that point. Many of us have excellent AD relationships, me included, but for those sitting on the fence with concerns over the ‘grey’ market – don’t. We have many of those grey dealers represented in the membership and they are all top drawer, knowledgeable, helpful people, who have helped me out on many occasions.

So, that really is me – a journey which started thirty years ago, but actually has shaped itself in exactly 365 days. The watch collection is now complete and this will be my final post on here, so what better way to close the chapter…

My collection now covers all bases relevant to my life:

Rolex Sky-Dweller – The most complicated modern Rolex - a black dial annual calendar watch in white gold, with a second time zone, date, the iconic debate enticing cyclops and even a month indicator, all finished off set on an alligator strap – my perfect daily in every sense. It also fits comfortably under any cuff, so saves me from having to own a ladies sized dress piece when donning a black tie.

Rolex Yacht-Master II – A white dial quirky and certainly bold piece, with a splash of blue, a pretty much useless complication, until I buy a yacht of course and a bracelet for a completely alternative choice. The Command Bezel is a superb way of accessing the functions of a watch whilst not interrupting others and although a completely different operation than on the Sky-Dweller, the principle remains the same.

Breitling Emergency I – Just back from service complete with new dial and crystal, this very early example is now over 20 years old, sits permanently on the OEM military canvas strap and is my beater – it has been around the world and back a few times and probably my all-time favourite. It gets a lot of stick because of its ‘useless’ complication, but take yourself back 20 years and think about it on a pilots wrist and it was no doubt a very comforting piece of kit to get hold of – just in case.

So, all rotational bases covered for me – Daily, weekend and beater. Steel, gold, titanium. Black and white dials, plus more than a splash of blue. Automatic, quartz and a useful alarm. Bracelet, leather, canvas. All with enough water resistance to cover every eventuality.

Happy to own possibly the three watches many members on here like to tell us they dislike the most, showing how we all are so different. I have never seen any one of the exact variant on anyone else’s wrist, so maybe everyone in the ‘real world’ agrees with the haters? Me, well I like the individuality. Each one is oversized, perhaps brash, loud and garish, but so am I.

Now, these three aren’t all I own and I’m not saying I won’t buy any other watches, but what I have, after many years of trying, are a set of watches which constitute my rotational wearers. Out of shot are my other bits and bobs, which do not constitute part of this rotation – I have a few new and unworn (and never will be) in a safe deposit box for a rainy day and others in the cupboard which rarely see the light of day - just ones I like for whatever reason and their ownership validates my hobby somewhat, including a GasGasBones 6B MKII from our very own TZ favourite Carl Evans I commissioned for my 50th, with a range of personalisation, an early 1980’s CWC issued chrono and a colourful LeGant vintage piece I did try to get rid of but no one wanted. The wife has taken ownership of the rose gold 40mm Rolex Yacht-Master I bought with the intention of sharing and the Cartier Santos, but, luckily for her, this works, as the three featured make up what, to me, is all I really need and completes the journey once and for all – yes really.

All the best everyone for 2017 and good luck in finding your perfect collection, one watch, or grail…

Great collection Steve and nice write up.

It'll be a shame if you don't stay around, you'll be missed mate.

Great piece Steve and I am really pleased that you are happy with your premier league watch collection and can continue to dabble with the so called lesser watches. I just can't seem to get that top watch right, every time I think this will be it, something sets in afterwards and it gets moved on. The hunt for eternal satisfaction goes on.

With regards to this being your final post, I sincerely hope it isn't. I know you have had your moments in the BP, but contributions like this one put most people to shame and you clearly still have something to offer this forum.

Either way, all the very best for 2017 and enjoy a level of contentment that appears elusive to so many on here.

Best wishes mate,
    Ken

I can't believe it's been a year either. I remember reading all your posts on the two Rolex and if nothing else it's certainly raised my awareness of these, have to admit there's something fascinating about that YM II, I need a white dial as well! (though sadly one with a digit less in the price at the moment)
    I've personally benefitted from these two watches as well, as one of your "cast offs" has become probably my favourite watch - the GS diver I eventually picked up after missing it the first time it was offered. So thank you for that.

Have a great New Year and I hope decide to stick around on the forum.

You have my grail in the Sky-Dweller Steve! Top notch watch.

Stylish collection,that's covered all your bases.Lucky man!

Fine speech.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    ...this will be my final post on here...
    I hate to impersonate Mrs. Doyle but are you sure you won't stay for a cup of tea?

Lovely watches, and a great journey to follow Steve. I love the WG Sky-Dweller, it is a highly impressive watch.

Very best wishes for 2017.

Scott
    It's just a matter of time...

Very nice write up, it's interesting to read the reasoning behind the choices people make. Cheers.

Thanks for the heartfelt and interesting post. I'm pleased you have reached a settled place in this rarely-static hobby.

I wish you well - thank you too for your many contributions on here, which I find invariably brighten up the day.

Nice to see you posting steve
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

A really enjoyable read , thanks for posting .

Lovely trio, Steve, and I'm not in the least surprised that you've gone full circle with the YMII.

I know you and I will keep in touch as we're mates in RL, but it would be a shame if this really was your last post. I don't believe for a minute that it will be

Best wishes to you and your loved ones Steve for 2017.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Really enjoyed the post - great to hear rhyme and reason behind a collection (and the collecting journey) - thank you. A stunning tribute - the YMII really is a stand-out piece; never really looked at them before your previous post on the model and I really warming to what really is a unique model in the Rolex range ..... Best wishes for 2017 ....

Master
    A great post and interesting to read in detail the reasoning behind your choices and your journey obtaining these pieces. Hope it's not you last post as I know you make a god contribution to the form and I enjoy reading your posts.

Either way though I hope you have a great 2017.

Lovely watches and blah blah blah

But to hell with the final post business.
    Don't go and I know forum is bigger than one single member but this place will lose some of it's sheen if you go and it will be forum's loss.
    So, listen mate and hang around.

Blog Entries

Interesting watches and a great thread. As others have said I hope this is not your final post. Best wishes for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love that sky dweller! Nice trio overall too.

Master
    I enjoyed that. Thank you for putting in the effort as it must have taken a while to write. I imagine that the day I realise my collection is complete will be a joyous occasion tinged with a little sorrow/guilt/horror! Hopefully, in my case, there will be no regrets...

Master

I absolutely hate all 3 of them! They are the pinnacle of obscenity and bad taste.

And if you don't reply to this I'll eat one of my nato straps !

Only kidding. I really miss your contributions Steve. I hope the boss will change his mind about BP and I hope that you'll stick around. Regardless you know where to find me mate.
    All the very best for 2017.

Lovely watches, great post. In a completely different line of thought, stop being so dramatic :)

Good to hear from you Steve, the SkyDweller and YMII make a great pairing - wouldn't work on me but a great pair nonetheless!

Nice to see something from Rolex other than the ubiquitous Subs and GMTs.

I have sold watches and really, really regretted it before. There is no other cure than to get another!

Nice collection and background, Steve.
    I hope to read more of your posts in 2017.

You are the Marmite of TZ. 85% of the time I've got your biting sense of humour and think it's been clear to those who follow the BP that the other 15% of the time has shown you needed a little reset

Personally I find your infrequent postings in WT to be very interesting and it would be a shame if you didn't post here again

I like hearing people's acquisition stories and their thought processes when trying to identify what watches do for them. Your postings on the Sky Dweller a great example of this

Master
    As so many others have already said, it would be a real shame if you checked out of here permanently. Sometimes provocative, for sure, but always entertaining and informative.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the Sky Dweller, I need to try the YM2 for myself - in pictures, the white face dial makes the hands hard to see but sure it is difference in real life.

Enjoy wearing them all, that's a nice collection you've decided upon.

Master
    Hi Steve,

Great watches mate, hope you have time for another road trip.
    Really enjoyed those couple of hours with you.
    All the best.
    Colin.

Master

Decent collection!!

To be honest I would love to own all three of these but at my present time in life my money is elsewhere!! You are a lucky person and I hope you enjoy as much as I know I would!!!

Chris

Lovely post, thank you.

Love the Skydweller and to be honest I'll be gutted if this really is your last post!!!!

Hope you saw the responses here and put your ego aside and appreciate and respect sentiments expressed here.
    I will acknowledge that Eddie is not always right but as far as watch fora owners go, he IS the best.
    So bite your tongue and be amongst friends.

Great collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    'Brash, loud and garish' . The OPs own description. As for not posting again......how often does that really happen? He will be back, and welcome.
    Btw: Bet the 'ideal' trinity of watches are all replaced within two years. We all do it. Can't help it. As long as it's affordable, where is the harm?

Love this particular combination on the Sky-Dweller.

Nicely written article and fully agree that there is a time and place for both the AD and Grey dealer.

I have had many great transactions with both.

Happy New Year to you.

Lovely collection, I'd be proud to wear all 3 of them. Not sure if I'd carry off the emergency, they look uncomfortable to me although I'm sure there not.

You should have included your GGB and the CWC in your collection pictures, there both great pieces, I really like the clean lines of GGB.

I've never been into any forum politics but I've always liked your posting style and value your input in WT. If this is your last post then it's our loss. If you do decide to stay then that's great and there's no judgement from me.

I think those 3 should see you through 2017 nicely, it's whether they get added to that's the question!

Take it easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Great write up on some lovely watches and really interesting read apart from one thing Steve. We are a similar age and I am only 3 years in as a serious WIS, so to think it's taken you 30 years to get to the prefect trio means I "only" have another 27 years to go which will make me precisely 78 by the time I get my perfect trio. Infamy infamy they've all got it in for me stick around this place is a great blend of characters, and I'm going to need help over the next 27 years.....

Master
    An interesting post and an great trio. Thanks for sharing.

Re continuing to contribute, time will tell. I've been quite removed the last few years and do find that coming here feeds WISdom, which is a con and a pro.

I would say that staying away helps cash flow.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    The watch collection is now complete and this will be my final post on here, so what better way to close the chapter…

Say it ain't so.

Master
    Chaps

The common sense solution is for Burnsey to stick to what he is good at, namely watches, and to stay away from politics and social interaction which he is plain useless at.

That was one of the best watch write ups on this forum and it raised the bar considerably and we could do with more like them.

Regards

Mick

An enjoyable and informative writeup, thanks.

Daily, weekend and beater. Steel, gold, titanium. Black and white dials, plus more than a splash of blue. Automatic, quartz and a useful alarm. Bracelet, leather, canvas. All with enough water resistance to cover every eventuality.
    This makes a lot of practical sense wrt ownership criteria: one which I'd initially aimed for myself but somehow got side-tracked by the SC ;-)

But for the coming year your post has given me some thought as to going back to this 'basic', not in terms of selling some of the duplications but more in the self-discipline of impulse buys.

All the best to you for the future.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

The common sense solution is for Burnsey to stick to what he is good at, namely watches, and to stay away from politics and social interaction which he is plain useless at.

That was one of the best watch write ups on this forum and it raised the bar considerably and we could do with more like them.

Regards

Mick
    Chap

thank you for your valuable input.

regards

mike

Master
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

Regards

Mick
    Agree, when he talks watches all is good, but he has said himself in the past he can't back down from an argument which then leads him to get dragged down into messy threads..

It will be a shame not to see him around especially if he is writing posts like the above, also leaving on 16999 posts is not doing my OCD any good at all - one more post PLEEEEEEASE!!!

Well this thread shows we all have different tastes...I think they are Rolexes with faces that only a mother could love!

It's a shame you aren't going to post anymore, I'd be looking forward to your reply...

Hopefully catch up with you in early 2017 mate.

Master
    Pleased to read this, and how you have made your choices. Like so many of the above, I do hope that you will stay here and continue posting.

You'll be back. Only flouncers announce. Leavers just leave.

Master
    Baiters gotta bait even when the OP contributed nothing more than a considered SOTC and some personal observations on how he arrived at this point. It's a funny old game.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    You'll be back. Only flouncers announce. Leavers just leave.
    Is there an extra 'n' in your handle?:-)

Master
    Cracking trio Steve and three that i would be very very happy to own.

Happy New Year!!