closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Were Status Quo the bestest Brit rock band of the '70's??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Nothing. My comment was in relation to Robert Plant making a fortune over a life time of work, and a 22 year old herbert getting handed a similar wedge for doing feck all.
    I never really get the Bieber knocking the guy is a young successful lad who works hard for his money. A quick google search showed on his last arena tour he did 160 shows in 6 continents. In between that he would of done countless tv appearances, ad campaigns even movie appearances.

I don't listen to his music but I know at between the ages of 15 and 22 I half assed my way through a levels and uni whilst having a part time job at uni. I bet none of us grafted like this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Depends what you wanted. The Who were dangerously on the edge on their night and v. exciting. The tensions in the band always working for them. Zeppelin were rock personified with superb playing from all concerned. Floyd? The show was their thing rather than the band but their sound was unequalled. The Faces could be awful but could be a party onstage and the Stones were always dangerous until about 1975 when they became more showbiz. Quo were a good british band but not an equal to the big names of Purple/Zep/Who/Floyd
    Glad someone mentioned The Faces.

I reckon The Who and The Stones are the main contenders - partly because of the catalogue but also because they were pretty much the first wave of Brit bands and managed to remain stunning for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Led Zep in my opinion, based solidly on the quality of their work.

I am a massive Who fan but the '60's were really their decade.

Purple come third to me purely on the great interplay between two musical giants, Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore.

Quo were always really great live though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Purple for me but I was always a Blackmore fan. Bit of difference between heavy rock bands like Purple, Sabbath, Led Zep, King Crimson and the more pop rock bands like Quo, Thin Lizzy, Queen etc

Best heavy live rock band were easily Ten Years After and I've seen most of the others.

Take Quo smash toons like Down, Down or Whatever You Want, are they examples of the lowest common denominator in rock music?

Craftsman
    You couldn't really label Quo a 'rock' band could you, slightly better than Glam rock imo, they did well with what little talent they had.

Music is very subjective so it's what you prefer. I saw Quo live back in '80 and they rocked it big time. Their sound became more saccharine over the years.
    Some of the great songs of the years had minimal chords or very simple chord sequences (Prince wrote Manic Monday with primarily one chord yet it's still a great tune) -The Ramones carved a great career from doing just that. Quo were the same but when they got it right they created some great songs.

______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Black Sabbath for me

Guess it depends what 'great' means?

Led Zep stormed the U.S. and were certainly the biggest stadium rock band of the 1970s?
    Agree, The Who were at their peak in the 1960s
    Deep Purple and Sabbath were massive, but more UK focussed

The Stones are bigger now than back then?

Led Zep gets my vote based on a wider geographical appeal?

Back in those days, there weren't the countless genres of music - it was broadly speaking just rock, pop or disco. Rock had a few sub-genres like jazz, prog and glam, but it was still ' rock', so I think we can say that Status Quo were a rock band. The Stones and The Who both had success in the 60's, and had both peaked by 1973. Arguably their greatest works (Exile on Main Street and Quadrophenia) were released in the seventies though, so I think we can include them. Having said that, the classic era of 'rock' was pretty much over by 1975 anyway.

As an aside, the early-mid seventies is one of my favourite periods musically, and there were so many good bands in a really short period of time - Bowie, Elton John, CCR, Bad Company, Alice Cooper, Eagles, Yes, etc. etc. etc. I still find it almost unbelievable that we went from Abbey Road to Anarchy In The UK in just 7 years, and this huge quantity of creativity is compressed into such a short time.

Back to Quo. They were a singles band rather than an album band and their music perhaps didn't have global appeal, but that doesn't take away that they made some great music. Saying that they were some kind of lowest denominator is rather unfair, to say the least. Also, what's so wrong with glam rock? Bowie, Queen, T-Rex were all great, and even Slade were a good rock band. Were Quo the greatest British rock band? No, by any measure, but they most certainly weren't rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Back in those days, there weren't the countless genres of music - it was broadly speaking just rock, pop or disco. Rock had a few sub-genres like jazz, prog and glam, but it was still ' rock', so I think we can say that Status Quo were a rock band. The Stones and The Who both had success in the 60's, and had both peaked by 1973. Arguably their greatest works (Exile on Main Street and Quadrophenia) were released in the seventies though, so I think we can include them. Having said that, the classic era of 'rock' was pretty much over by 1975 anyway.

As an aside, the early-mid seventies is one of my favourite periods musically, and there were so many good bands in a really short period of time - Bowie, Elton John, CCR, Bad Company, Alice Cooper, Eagles, Yes, etc. etc. etc. I still find it almost unbelievable that we went from Abbey Road to Anarchy In The UK in just 7 years, and this huge quantity of creativity is compressed into such a short time.

Back to Quo. They were a singles band rather than an album band and their music perhaps didn't have global appeal, but that doesn't take away that they made some great music. Saying that they were some kind of lowest denominator is rather unfair, to say the least. Also, what's so wrong with glam rock? Bowie, Queen, T-Rex were all great, and even Slade were a good rock band. Were Quo the greatest British rock band? No, by any measure, but they most certainly weren't rubbish.
    Quo were awful, but I agree that some TRex in retrospect was pretty good. Otherwise there was Talking Heads, early Rocky Music, Bruce Springsteen, Doors (just), Fleetwood Mac, Eagles (mostly non-British) that showed how poor Status Quo were. Another of my own favourites of somewhat limited breadth some might say - Ramones.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 28th December 2016 at 20:25.

Master
    Were they the best? No. But they were certainly amongst the best loved. And that's all that counts.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Quo were awful, but I agree that some TRex in retrospect was pretty good. Otherwise there was Talking Heads, early Rocky Music, Bruce Springsteen, Doors (just), Fleetwood Mac, Eagles that showed how poor Status Quo were. Another of my own favourites of somewhat limited breadth some might say - Ramones.

Quo weren't awful, you just don't like them. Big difference. That's the great thing about music, something out there for everyone.

Musically limited (I can't be alone in thinking all their best known tracks sound exactly the same, can I?), but they were certainly entertaining and, whilst I never saw them live, I've never heard a bad thing about them from anyone who did.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Smith & Jones discuss the Quo.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-AsN4Kw-w

Master
    Dr Feelgood

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    Dr Feelgood
    Oh yes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Quo weren't awful, you just don't like them. Big difference.
    I didn't realise there was an empirical scale for 1970s rock bands. Quo were formally measured at the Wonderful end of the scale then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    AC/DC with Brian Johnson - surely this makes them sort of British?

Quo get some credit for making full use of those three chords.

Zeppelin and Floyd for me with Sabbath and Motorhead close behind.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Zeppelin and Floyd for me with Sabbath and Motorhead close behind.
    Motorhead

I'll raise you Metallica, surely the Gods of rock?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Blimey AC/DC make Quo sound like Prog Rock.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Motorhead

I'll raise you Metallica, surely the Gods of rock?
    Americans.

The thread is about British bands.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Speaking for myself when the eponymous album by The Clash came out in 1977 all the other stuff just faded away.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Would have to agree, although London Calling was my epiphany, once they got over the need to be angry for effect.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

^^^ Agreed

AC/DC are kinda sorta British - Malcolm and Angus Young were born in Glasgow. Bon Scott was born in Forfar. Cliff Williams was born in Romford. Phil Rudd is Australian.

However ... For the purposes of 'rock', I don't think anything after 1975, 1976 at a pinch qualifies - that's a whole different era.

Craftsman
    Led Zepplin

Craftsman

Cool Still to this day and since albums came out

So much that our four adult children will react when songs come on listen to on a regular basis:

Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Rolling Stones - Some Girls
    Beatles - White Album
    The Clash - London Calling

Have vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD, mpeg and iTune versions of each if available in the medium.

9-Track!! Bloody hell.........

Zep and Black Sabbath.