closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jean Rousseau and similar

Jean Rousseau and similar

Since I was passing their shop off Piccadilly today, I popped into Jean Rousseau to see what their prices were for calfskin leather straps. £65 for off the peg and £95 for custom made (waiting time approx 5 weeks).

I'm not expecting somewhere which has a shop in a location like that to be overly bothered with VFM, but I was wondering how generally that custom price compares with companies offering similar services? I can see the appeal in being able to see the exact shade of strap you're opting for, and letting their staff see exactly the space the strap is going to be fitting into, so they can give good advice about thickness at the lugs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since I was passing their shop off Piccadilly today, I popped into Jean Rousseau to see what their prices were for calfskin leather straps. £65 for off the peg and £95 for custom made (waiting time approx 5 weeks).

I'm not expecting somewhere which has a shop in a location like that to be overly bothered with VFM, but I was wondering how generally that custom price compares with companies offering similar services? I can see the appeal in being able to see the exact shade of strap you're opting for, and letting their staff see exactly the space the strap is going to be fitting into, so they can give good advice about thickness at the lugs
    I've used Jean Rousseau (in Paris) and was very happy with the work and the price for the service they provided (what does VFM mean?).
    They are much cheaper now than Camille Fournet.
    Also cheaper than Atelier du Bracelet Parisien /ABP, although ABP has great offerings and tons of leather choices on their website (at 160 euros for a web order).
    The main advantage to me indeed is to be able to pick a very specific color and texture when there's no alternative on the market.
    I also find it quite useful for vintage fixed lug watches as there is usually much less choice.

They were very accommodating when I asked them to use rivets which I provided for a military pilot watch.
    The red lining below, which I really dig, was a standard option and not an extra charge.

Best regards,
    S
    Last edited by Plume; 26th December 2016 at 15:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    I've used Jean Rousseau (in Paris) and was very happy with the work and the price for the service they provided (what does VFM mean?).
    They are much cheaper now than Camille Fournet.
    Also cheaper than Atelier du Bracelet Parisien /ABP, although ABP has great offerings and tons of leather choices on their website (at 160 euros for a web order).
    The main advantage to me indeed is to be able to pick a very specific color and texture when there's no alternative on the market.
    I also find it quite useful for vintage fixed lug watches as there is usually much less choice.

They were very accommodating when I asked them to use rivets which I provided for a military pilot watch.
    The red lining below, which I really dig, was a standard option and not an extra charge.

Best regards,
    S
    I would presume vfm is value for money. Though we could have fun trying alternatives.
    Prices sound really btw

That's interesting - the prices on their website seem to start from £105 (or have I missed something?); I'll drop in there next month to see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That's interesting - the prices on their website seem to start from £105 (or have I missed something?); I'll drop in there next month to see what they have.
    Are those prices for straps made from Precious Animals? I didn't like their website which is why I popped in. Prices I've reported were on printed lists, and had a quick chat with staff to confirm.

There was also an extra charge for straps above a certain size, but since that wouldn't affect me I didn't take a note of that.

It seems to be for calf. I'll be in there at some point in the New Year and will report back; I'm hoping for something in a light tan pigskin but suspect that's a bit of a tall order. Who knows, they might even run to a sale.

Paid 250 for a full custom croc for my panerai 190. Don't regret it one bit. Still cheaper than anormal official at a much higher quality. Plus once you pop a JR strap on it ain't coming off. Custom just works.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I would presume vfm is value for money.
    Thanks much, sounds just right :)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Paid 250 for a full custom croc for my panerai 190. Don't regret it one bit. Still cheaper than anormal official at a much higher quality. Plus once you pop a JR strap on it ain't coming off. Custom just works.
    Agree 100%, mine was cheaper but maybe the panerai size costs more? (Or maybe homebase in Paris is cheaper?)

Are those prices for straps made from Precious Animals?
    Not sure whether those prices quoted were for exotic hides.
    In France the base price for a customized calf strap was around 90 euros IIRC, 120 for ostrich, shark, around 200++ for high end (alligator, stingray).
    No super funky stuff like elephant or hippo or baseball glove strips.

I'm hoping for something in a light tan pigskin but suspect that's a bit of a tall order. Who knows, they might even run to a sale.
    Alan, I can't remember whether they offer tan pigskin, they definitely didn't have grey pigskin when I looked recently.
    If they don't, they have a great selection of calf and buffalo textures which could fit the bill.
    And if your watch has springbars, ABP's web site will definitely allow you to commission a customized pigskin strap (but base price is 160 euros).
    Last edited by Plume; 27th December 2016 at 16:28.

I have used them for 2 bespoke straps. The price can rack up, but you end up with the strap you want, with colour of both strap and stitching as you want it. From the basic pricing you end up paying more depending on machine or hand stitching, lining and for large scales.

I ended up paying £290 for one for my Reverso and £200 for a rubber strap for my GMT master, that was made to fit a set of end links.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    Thanks much, sounds just right :)

Agree 100%, mine was cheaper but maybe the panerai size costs more? (Or maybe homebase in Paris is cheaper?)
    I literally went for the best hide etc and I think there was a surcharge for the added size. Not sure if there is a difference with the Euro.

Can also confirm good service from JR in London, would happily use them again.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up on that, I didn't realise they'd opened a store in London. Will pop in today.

Cheers

Dave

Considering I paid £80 for a Toshi about seven years ago, I'd say that was excellent vfm. Latest custom strap I ordered was at least twice that, but was an entirely bespoke affair (from Sabel Saddlery).

They make very nice straps and the experience is quite something. Found it quite a bit of fun to design my own strap in store and taking a look at the options available for leather, thread, sizing, etc., with all of it right in front of you so it makes colour matching easy. They can also make them with quick release spring bars so you can have many straps to one watch.

Jean Rousseau and similar

I have a Jean Rousseau strap on an IWC Mk11 with fixed bars. It's fine, the leather and thread were selected from sample books in the shop.

This watch previously had an ABP bought in Paris. That was far more fun. Huge range of leathers and threads. You can rummage around in boxes of leather and pick exactly the piece you want and exactly how you want the grain to run. They had a thread colour that exactly matched the lume of the hands. They built the end of the strap so that it exactly packed the space between the spring bar and case and you can see them working away on the straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, it sounds like the interactive experience at ABP is worth a couple of quid in its' own right!

Craftsman
    David, it sounds like the interactive experience at ABP is worth a couple of quid in its' own right!
    +1, ABP is my favorite shop too, it's like a treasure trove.
    The most incredible hides are stingray in disco colors with reflections in black and red or or blue/ green/ purple harmonies...
    I highly recommend visiting their 6 page web gallery of past client orders to get an idea.
    I have no connection to them except those pages ignited my interest in vintage and military watches, which has turned out more enduring than I would have ever imagined.
    So you are warned...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I have a Jean Rousseau strap on an IWC Mk11 with fixed bars. It's fine, the leather and thread were selected from sample books in the shop.

This watch previously had an ABP bought in Paris. That was far more fun. Huge range of leathers and threads. You can rummage around in boxes of leather and pick exactly the piece you want and exactly how you want the grain to run. They had a thread colour that exactly matched the lume of the hands. They built the end of the strap so that it exactly packed the space between the spring bar and case and you can see them working away on the straps.
    It would be great if you could share pictures of the watch with those straps :p
    Thanks and best regards,
    S
    Last edited by Plume; 29th December 2016 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Interestingly, thats how JR has always worked for me! I have bought a dozen or more straps from them so have a good relationship with them but they let me rummage around until I find the hide I like and then we draw out the shape together, decide on thickness, curvature etc.

Never tried APB, had a week in Paris before Christmas and should have popped in!

It wasn't cheap but was worth it, my treat and respite during a whole week being dragged around Paris clothes shops in the pouring rain. Mrs Casper also bought a strap for her Reverso and enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 29th December 2016 at 18:10.