closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your defining moment of 2016...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Your defining moment of 2016...

An article on the corporate intranet at work this morning was listing the 'moments of success' for this year.
    Thought it might make an interesting thread to round off the year on here... so...

What one thing has been your defining moment in 2016 ?

For me it was relocating from Bournemouth to Peterborough to move into a new house with my beautiful girlfriend and her four kids. A massive life change for me (and for them, if I'm honest) and one that I don't regret one single bit. Nothing else that's happened to me this year even comes close.

So, what's yours ?

PS - wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and successful 2017

My father died in March, hard to match that as a 'defining moment', but on a more uplifting note, a couple of dives in the Azores, with Blue Sharks and Mobius Rays will stay with me, too!

My son passed his driving test, my daughter graduated with an MSc and now has a full time job, too. All life defining moments.

Two weeks diving in Indonesia was pretty memorable, too.

M.

PS Could she not come and live with you in Bournemouth?
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd December 2016 at 15:02.

Master
    Completing the sale of the last unit on my first development, four 4 bed townhouses on the worst street in a bad village in south yorkshire. I has grown fed up with customers after 30 years of contracting,so cashed in the thirty of prudent saving and investments,sold all my surplus toys,my car bought some land and hired a digger.Absolutley shit my self along the way,ran out of money and had to borrow 40k from my GF.

Life changing is a big statement, and it certainly would have been if i couldn't sell but it went my way.
    Starting all over again in March.

My Father also died in October the month I was diagnosed with cancer. On a positive I was part of the England (Disabled) Golf team that won the Auld Enemies Cup at Cardrona Peebles.
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2016-09-19/watch-scotland-battle-england-for-disabled-golf-cup/

It's been a pretty uneventful year for me. No births, deaths or marriages.

Missed out on two houses we wanted to buy, one just this week, so it could have been an eventful end to the year but unfortunately we were just a bit too late getting an offer on our place to be able to proceed.

Sure next year will be a bit more exciting.

For me two major things within 10 weeks of each other. September Son being born. Day after we bought him home from the hospital we showed the our house to couple that eventually bought it. December we moved in. (This was a whole 8 months after seeing the house we eventually bought and having a number of collapsed chains on the way).

I need a chilled 2017!

Becoming a grandfather at 47 was a surprise, but a very pleasant one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have visited a lot of First and Second War sites i.e Bastogne,Ypres,Tyne Cot,Oradour Sur Glane etc but i have put off auschwitz and birkenau until November this year and bloody hell did it put everything in to context.

It really has change my view on what is and is not important and i hope that stays with me until my last breath.

The birth of our first child in July, a beautiful girl we have named Megan.

Master
    The eventual safe arrival of my second son, James, in February will be the winner for me. He was pretty early and my wife in hospital for 6 weeks either side of having him, he wasn't too bad in general, very well looked after at the excellent Harrogate SCBU but my wife was touch and go for a while and we came a bit closer than we would have liked to losing her.

Our house is now on the market so hopefully 2017 will be the year we find 'the house' or I find 'the job'!

Blog Entries
    My name is Ben and I'm a Leicester fan...............

Not too much happening on a life defining scale, but... bought a farm, to erm retire on, and acquired my first Patek.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Not too much happening on a life defining scale, but... bought a farm, to erm retire on, and acquired my first Patek.
    I thought when you've 'bought the farm', it meant that you're past retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I thought when you've 'bought the farm', it meant that you're past retirement?
    Hopefully I've got a few more years left in me, but we will see ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    My Father also died in October the month I was diagnosed with cancer. On a positive I was part of the England (Disabled) Golf team that won the Auld Enemies Cup at Cardrona Peebles.
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2016-09-19/watch-scotland-battle-england-for-disabled-golf-cup/
    Sorry to read this best of luck on your journey

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour on August 27th, had surgery to remove it on October 12th, found out on the 21st it was malignant (Grade II/III Anaplastic Astrocytoma) and I would require Radio therapy, 6.5 weeks which I began on the 28th of November and due to finish on the 11th of Jan 2017 and Temozolomide chemo therapy tablets (12 months) which I am due to start in Feb 2017 but these will be 5 days on and 23 days off for 12 months but a much higher dosage compared to what I am on now. 300 milligrams as opposed to 140 milligrams

I have private healthcare with Bupa through my work and I had my surgery (Awake Craniotomy) at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London (part of UCH) and thankfully the Neurosurgeon was able to perform a full resection. Which means he was able to remove the entire tumour and a good margin of tissue around the tumour as well so he's given me the best possible chance. The MRI scans are actually quite shocking to look at, the before clearly shows the white blob of the tumour. Thankfully the tumour was in an accessible area of the brain. Right under the skull/right frontal lobe. The after scan shows how much the Surgeon has removed. It's amazing I have not had any functional deficit and everything is working as it should. I've been very fortunate in that sense. Unfortunately there is a chance of a recurrence even after treatment and this is something that will be with me for life. I will have to have regular scans going forward to check for any signs of tumours re-growing so they can be dealt with quickly

On a more positive note my Sister and her husband are like looking forward to their first child toward the end of February. A baby girl so I am looking forward to the arrival of my niece.

Also my Dad bought me a new watch to cheer me up. I wear it every day to my Radio therapy sessions. My wife looks after it while I'm having the daily treatment (I am on the table for a total of 1 minute per day Monday to Friday on a VMAT IMRT machine.

I also bought myself a new watch which I absolutely love. Unfortunately I cannot travel abroad (Doctors orders) until my chemo cycles are over which will mean March of 2018 at the earliest. But looking forward to wearing it when I do travel. I wear it anyway when I can tear the other IWC off my wrist

I know it's tough so if you would like to chat then please do get in touch via PM. That goes for anyone who is facing a similar situation. I have found that being open and honest about it and actually talking to people about it has helped me enormously.

All the best

Kapish

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Completing the sale of the last unit on my first development, four 4 bed townhouses on the worst street in a bad village in south yorkshire. I has grown fed up with customers after 30 years of contracting,so cashed in the thirty of prudent saving and investments,sold all my surplus toys,my car bought some land and hired a digger.Absolutley shit my self along the way,ran out of money and had to borrow 40k from my GF.

Life changing is a big statement, and it certainly would have been if i couldn't sell but it went my way.
    Starting all over again in March.
    Do tell which village ,being from syorks myself,I actually feel quite boring compared to everyone else ,this years not really had any special moments,just working ,one week rolls into the next,must try harder next year

Master
    Godley Street Royston

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Getting blocked from accessing The Bear Pit

Graduating with distinction in my MSc and winning an award for my dissertation. Oh and got a job today, subject to clearance.

Your defining moment of 2016...

Is, in 2015, putting a bet on my team to win the league allowed?

Oh... and like Ben ... WE WON!

22 June at 1140pm - daughter was born :)

Craftsman
    Volunteering for a week in the Calais Jungle with my 16 year old son, put a lot to things into perpsective

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    Sorry to read this best of luck on your journey

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour on August 27th, had surgery to remove it on October 12th, found out on the 21st it was malignant (Grade II/III Anaplastic Astrocytoma) and I would require Radio therapy, 6.5 weeks which I began on the 28th of November and due to finish on the 11th of Jan 2017 and Temozolomide chemo therapy tablets (12 months) which I am due to start in Feb 2017 but these will be 5 days on and 23 days off for 12 months but a much higher dosage compared to what I am on now. 300 milligrams as opposed to 140 milligrams

I have private healthcare with Bupa through my work and I had my surgery (Awake Craniotomy) at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London (part of UCH) and thankfully the Neurosurgeon was able to perform a full resection. Which means he was able to remove the entire tumour and a good margin of tissue around the tumour as well so he's given me the best possible chance. The MRI scans are actually quite shocking to look at, the before clearly shows the white blob of the tumour. Thankfully the tumour was in an accessible area of the brain. Right under the skull/right frontal lobe. The after scan shows how much the Surgeon has removed. It's amazing I have not had any functional deficit and everything is working as it should. I've been very fortunate in that sense. Unfortunately there is a chance of a recurrence even after treatment and this is something that will be with me for life. I will have to have regular scans going forward to check for any signs of tumours re-growing so they can be dealt with quickly

On a more positive note my Sister and her husband are like looking forward to their first child toward the end of February. A baby girl so I am looking forward to the arrival of my niece.

Also my Dad bought me a new watch to cheer me up. I wear it every day to my Radio therapy sessions. My wife looks after it while I'm having the daily treatment (I am on the table for a total of 1 minute per day Monday to Friday on a VMAT IMRT machine.

I also bought myself a new watch which I absolutely love. Unfortunately I cannot travel abroad (Doctors orders) until my chemo cycles are over which will mean March of 2018 at the earliest. But looking forward to wearing it when I do travel. I wear it anyway when I can tear the other IWC off my wrist

I know it's tough so if you would like to chat then please do get in touch via PM. That goes for anyone who is facing a similar situation. I have found that being open and honest about it and actually talking to people about it has helped me enormously.

All the best

Kapish

Dear kapish
    Wishing you a full recovery and every strength on your way.
    Best regards
    Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As above.......to both Kapish and Wildheart sending my best wishes to you both.

Blog Entries
    No real defining moments this year. And reading those posted above, I think that some have (had) their fair share this year... One of the best moments this year is the moment I got on my bike after a parent/teacher meeting. And in my head the echoes of the teachers' phrases that my Asperger diagnosed son is really, really bright! Something we (my wife and I) already knew, but were unable to get it across the table at a previous school.

I sat on my bike totally happy and with tears in my eyes at the same time. My son rode his bike next to me - he didn't notice my emotions; a dark street, rainy and he wanted to get home. And other people's emotions are very difficult to get his head around.

M.

Craftsman
    Well it wasn't a good year to be a celebrity that's for sure!

As for me I lost my Nan, handed my notice in with the RAF, my son started school and I landed a new job as a train driver so one of my most eventful years yet, like eagletower said - a more chilled 2017 please...!

Master
    First of all, good luck to those with health issues as some things are not that severe in the grand scheme of things compared to our health.

Personally, telling my wife of 16 years (20 as partner) that I'd had enough and that our marriage was over. Still breaks my heart to even type these words but crazy is crazy and I've a few good years in me left. That was 16th January and she eventually moved out last week having agreed the finances.

Oh, also given the all clear for cancer but that now feels like saying "I nearly had something but it was f'all" when compared to others issues.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Dear kapish
    Best regards
    Dave
    Thank you Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Thank you Dusty!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    First of all, good luck to those with health issues as some things are not that severe in the grand scheme of things compared to our health.

Personally, telling my wife of 16 years (20 as partner) that I'd had enough and that our marriage was over. Still breaks my heart to even type these words but crazy is crazy and I've a few good years in me left. That was 16th January and she eventually moved out last week having agreed the finances.

Oh, also given the all clear for cancer but that now feels like saying "I nearly had something but it was f'all" when compared to others issues.
    Sorry to hear about your issues with your (ex) wife but congrats for being given the all clear for cancer. Must have come as such a relief!

All the best

Kapish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Dear kapish
    Best regards
    Dave
    Exactly this... I remember taking my beautiful 13 year old niece to chemotherapy sessions in Nottingham when she had a brain tumour... such an anxious period of my families life... the day before we got her final post treatment results she asksed me to sleep on her top bunk so she had some company and we just nattered away until she fell asleep...

the results were good and she's now in her final year at Oxford Brooke's and on course to get a good degree in Philosophy

Take care Kapish and I'll raise a glass to a great 2017 for you :-)

Ben

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Exactly this... I remember taking my beautiful 13 year old niece to chemotherapy sessions in Nottingham when she had a brain tumour... such an anxious period of my families life... the day before we got her final post treatment results she asksed me to sleep on her top bunk so she had some company and we just nattered away until she fell asleep...

the results were good and she's now in her final year at Oxford Brooke's and on course to get a good degree in Philosophy

Take care Kapish and I'll raise a glass to a great 2017 for you :-)

Ben
    Thank you and really great to read about your Niece doing so well in her studies.

I am lucky in a sense that A: the tumour was in quite an accessible location in the Brain and B: the Neurosurgeon was able to remove the entire thing with a good margin of tissue around the tumour too without me having any functional deficit so the Radio and chemo therapy is to now help prevent a recurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Getting blocked from accessing The Bear Pit
    Pillock :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been a bit 'meh' if I'm honest. Pretty shitty business wise, (although that's my fault), stalled extension plans for my new house, and generally nothing's been done!

However, back to work full time in Jan to kick some (and sack some) arse and make some money again, extension starting just after Christmas (so we can move in to our new home) and I'll hopefully lose the two stone in weight I gained again this year!

Basically, ask me again next year...

I might still be fat though.

Putting my resignation letter in the post.

I've got 2 real defining moment this year. My mum passed away in November after a short illness and I jacked in my job of circa 20 years and went out on my own with a colleague. Best thing I ever done and should of token the jump years ago. My mum only being last month is still quite raw especially when memories come flooding back at Xmas time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My defining moment from my first post above has been surpassed by our 9 year old severely autistic son actually saying Merry Christmas to us this morning when he woke up. This time last year he was still wearing nappies and could barely communicate.

F**k I love this kid.
    ❤️

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Firstly, to everyone that's ill I wish you a full and speedy recovery and to everyone that's lost a loved one you have my sincere condolences.....

For me it was the day before my wife's 50th birthday back in February when I came home from work and knew instantly that something was wrong.

A couple of weeks later "the lump" she'd found was diagnosed as breast cancer so this year's been non-stop tests, surgeries, chemo and radiotherapy.

Her last session was the day before Christmas Eve and her prognosis is good, so my entire family and I are all psyched up for (and praying for!) a better 2017.

Life isn't about how fast you can run, or about how high you can climb, but about how well you can bounce.

Merry Christmas to You and to Yours Gents.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Firstly, to everyone that's ill I wish you a full and speedy recovery and to everyone that's lost a loved one you have my sincere condolences.....

For me it was the day before my wife's 50th birthday back in February when I came home from work and knew instantly that something was wrong.

A couple of weeks later "the lump" she'd found was diagnosed as breast cancer so this year's been non-stop tests, surgeries, chemo and radiotherapy.

Her last session was the day before Christmas Eve and her prognosis is good, so my entire family and I are all psyched up for (and praying for!) a better 2017.

Life isn't about how fast you can run, or about how high you can climb, but about how well you can bounce.

Merry Christmas to You and to Yours Gents.
    So sorry to read about your wife. Happy to read that the prognosis is good though. Breast Cancer is very treatable these days so please do not worry. The technology is very advanced these days.

Here's wishing you and your family a fantastic 2017 and beyond. I will keep you in my prayers also.

Have faith and continue to stay strong!

Wishing your wife all the best on her journey. And wishing you and your whole family keep the strength and courage to support her through the tough times.

All the best

Kapish

A year with ups and downs, literally. Found out around halfway through that redundancy was a certainty later in the year when my employer was to be broken up and sold. Then had a great few months of holiday and garden leave. Lost loads of weight, got very fit, did some bucket list cycling - Barcelona to Valencia, Mount Ventoux, Col de L'Iseran, Col de la Madeleine, Alp d'huez. I know that psychologically I was doing this to hide from my situation and there was always an undercurrent if stress. I wasn't sleeping that well despite having fun. Redundancy was confirmed in September with end date 7 December. Decided to get my head out the sand in October and do some proper job hunting. Landed a great new job and started on 12 December. Looking forward to a more stable 2017 and sleeping again!

My son finished master degree at faculty of aeronautics as one of the best student in class and get a job in a decent company as a co-pilot in jet airliner.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    My defining moment from my first post above has been surpassed by our 9 year old severely autistic son actually saying Merry Christmas to us this morning when he woke up. This time last year he was still wearing nappies and could barely communicate.

F**k I love this kid.
    ❤️

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    That is a wonderful thing. Hope you had a lovely day.

Realising that finally I can retire when I want.

To all those who have lost someone, my condolences. To those suffering medical issues, I wish you all the best for 2017.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Same from me!

My Dad passed away on the 18th August this year, he left an old brown suitcase which I looked in today. I couldn't face it before now, but as it was just my wife and I, I thought it was about time I had a look through it.

It was full of old receipts and paperwork but at the bottom was a watch. Nothing special, a Masonic pocket watch which now I'll treasure.

Mother and dog got struck with a vehicle at the end of November, just got out of hospital this week with some pretty intense care requirements (broken back,spinal brace).

More positively, got a job offer for when I graduate and hopefully have another watch incoming :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Same from me!
    Thanks you. It's so pleasantly surprising how a simple gesture such as this makes all the difference when you are faced with a tough situation. I mean we do not know each other personally (and probably never will) but a simple gesture that shows that someone who I don't know has then the time out of their busy lives to writes couple of words of support to you really means a lot well to me it does anyway

Master
    Back in around 2000 I was informed I'd contracted hepatitis C through contaminated blood (I'm a haemophiliac)..

They couldn't tell me when I was infected, but it was probably in the early 90's....

In early 2015 I was told of new treatment, but I couldn't have it because it was to expensive 1 tablet a day = £15k per month for 4 months.. ridiculous costs.

I fought tooth and nail to get the treatment I thought I deserved, the NHS infected me, so they can pay...

I threatened to go to the papers, and take legal action.... in the end they relented.

I started the course of tablets in Dec 2015 and finished in March 2016....

I cleared the virus, and am still clear...

Life is much better now.

Journeyman
    Getting divorced. Should have done it far sooner than 2016

Blog Entries
    George Michael passing away at 53 -just heard -awful