closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz movements

Craftsman

Quartz movements

I know that Rolex quartz movements are of the same quality components and construction as their mechanical movements but who else makes high quality quartz? All of the Ronda and ETA quartz modules seem to have a lot of plastic and look cheap.

I have read that Seiko quartz movements are particularly good but again are predominantly plastic and have no jewels, what makes them good?

Is it possible to swap out a cheap quartz movement for a better quality one?

Apprentice
    I would also be interested in what the members in the the "know" think. I have just purchased my first quartz movement watch in many a year, a Longines Hydrconquest.
    So thanks to the OP for asking this question as its something I just didn't think of before making a purchase.
    Cheers David

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    I know that Rolex quartz movements are of the same quality components and construction as their mechanical movements but who else makes high quality quartz? All of the Ronda and ETA quartz modules seem to have a lot of plastic and look cheap.

I have read that Seiko quartz movements are particularly good but again are predominantly plastic and have no jewels, what makes them good?

Is it possible to swap out a cheap quartz movement for a better quality one?
    Check out vintage Seiko for the best in quartz. To name but a couple; the 4 and 5 jewel 7546/48 and, of course, the best of the lot (even to this day IMHO) - the 15 jewel 7A28/38 (no plastic!). Such movements are fully serviceable and will pretty much run forever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Check out vintage Seiko for the best in quartz. To name but a couple; the 4 and 5 jewel 7546/48 and, of course, the best of the lot (even to this day IMHO) - the 15 jewel 7A28/38 (no plastic!). Such movements are fully serviceable and will pretty much run forever
    But avoid the 7123 that breaks as soon as you look at it.

It's theoretically serviceable but as far as I know parts cannot be found. It can be replaced with a modern VX43, with some dial mangling I understand.

Master
    Have a read of this: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f

A good run down of Grand Seiko quartz movements.

And some interesting reading here too: http://www.grand-seiko.com/movement/quartz.php

I'm not going to take the lid off the whole 'quartz vs mech' debate as we've done it to death. All I'd say is that there are some technologically gorgeous quartz movements out there (the ETA Thermoline, Omega 1666 (in the X33)) - that aren't particularly aesthetically attractive but they're superbly made, accurate and (in my view) interesting. There's the odd good-looking quartz (Rolex, Seiko 9F) too.

Likewise, Tudor's new MT5612 movement is technologically impressive (and inhouse) but it looks like a tractor. I rather like it, mind!

I guess one could general say that top-end mechs are beautiful to look at and, although old-school tech, beautifully put-together. Most top end quartz movements aren't as attractive, but the tech is pretty impressive.

Master
    7548- running like a dream from 1982

Craftsman
    I'm a bit of an oddball I like a watch because it pleases me both aesthetically and because I know that what is on the inside is as good as the bits I can see. So quartz can be a bit of a problem watch that I like the look of, say for example a Rotary isn't likely to have a really good movement, in fact it seems even some quite expensive watches have very basic quartz movements.

There are a couple of watches I'd like to get and swapout what is probably a very basic Ronda or Myota quartz module for something much better if I can find one. But the movement module has to be available and I suppose compatible with the hands and crown/stem.

I'm not knocking basic quartz movements I just want something different.

Master
    Grand Seiko quartz are seriously impressive. ETA make some good stuff - i.e. the thermocompensated superquartz used in the Breitling Aerospace - and Breitling now have their own movements in the B50, B55 & Emergency.

Journeyman
    My Seiko 7C43-7000 has been running for nearly 30 years without any issues. Though I haven't opened the case to see the movement.

Journeyman
    The Certina Precidrive HAQ movements are pretty special. They have thermo compensation to ensure accuracy is not affected by any temperature changes

Patek and Brand Seiko movements are very nice. My Sky Walker is probably the best quartz I currently own, which I believe is thermocompensated.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    I hear Breitling now design their latest (Super)Quartz movements in house at a cost much higher than their mechanical designs (apparently).

Omega released the revised X-33 recently with advise from ESA on the module design.

So there are a couple of marques that continue to develop high end quartz movements. I think there is a whole sub-forum for HEQ on another site that has much discussion last time I looked.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Can you buy the high end modules though? if yes then what and where?

Is ESA rated above or below ETA in quality?

Ive had a couple 7a28's and have to say that the movement looks very high quality indeed

Craftsman
    Off topic though since you can't buy that module, I'm looking for high quality modules to buy so that they can be swapped into watches with lessexpensive and lower quality movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive had a couple 7a28's and have to say that the movement looks very high quality indeed

ESA above referring to the European Space Agency.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    OK, so what's in this then.

I bought it pre 1980 so it's at least 36 years old, and it's still runs like a dream...NEVER been serviced.
    All I've ever done is replace the battery now and again.

Img_0754 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post

I bought it pre 1980 so it's at least 36 years old, and it's still runs like a dream...NEVER been serviced.

Basically the same as in my post 6 but with one less jewel- I think its a 7546

^^ 7546-6030 four jewel ;-)

Craftsman
    No I saw an advert for ESA movements although it could have been ESSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    ESA above referring to the European Space Agency.

Master
    Just as mechanical movements vary in quality so do quartz.

There are both high quality and low quality iterations of both genres.

I'm more than happy with both my mechanical and quartz watches.

Blog Entries

I think ESA is effectively now part of ETA.

http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Ebauches_SA

Blog Entries
    European Space Agency (ESA). Bit of confusion going on

quote from Omega marketing "
    The OMEGA Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 is powered by the multi-functional quartz chronograph movement, OMEGA calibre 5619, with a thermo-compensated integrated circuit. The new movement was developed under an ESA patent licence based on an invention by ESA astronaut Jean-François Clervoy."
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd December 2016 at 18:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Just as mechanical movements vary in quality so do quartz.

There are both high quality and low quality iterations of both genres.

I'm more than happy with both my mechanical and quartz watches.
    Which is why I want to find a really good quartz movement to transplant into some watches I like but have quite cheap movements at present. I know Rolex, Breitling and Omega make high end quartz watches but you can't purchase those quartz modules. So back to the original question what are the best quartz movement modules available to buy? not an expensive watch with a quartz module just the movement!

Craftsman
    I wasn't confused

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    European Space Agency (ESA). Bit of confusion going on

quote from Omega marketing "
    The OMEGA Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 is powered by the multi-functional quartz chronograph movement, OMEGA calibre 5619, with a thermo-compensated integrated circuit. The new movement was developed under an ESA patent licence based on an invention by ESA astronaut Jean-François Clervoy."

Blog Entries
    I wasn't confused
    Excellent! All the best. Martyn

Which is why I want to find a really good quartz movement to transplant into some watches I like but have quite cheap movements at present
    You do know there are a lot of variables that will affect that plan... at the very least you will need to find a movement that has the same height, ligne (size), date window placement/size, hand height, hand pinion size, stem position, dial feet position etc... unless there is a direct replacement available (which only tends to happen if you stay within the same movement family) you will be doing some engineering to make it fit.

The easiest way is to pull the movement you want to replace, and look up the specs/details and go from there.

All of the Ronda and ETA quartz modules seem to have a lot of plastic and look cheap.
    ETA do some nice quartz movements. If you wanted something different, the precidrive (sweep second) quartz movements are reasonably priced and well made. They're also available in common sizes and hand sizes to make it easier. For example, the E64.111 is 11.5 ligne and about 50 quid to buy - it should also satisfy your desire for less plastic:

Craftsman
    Many thanks, exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. A lot of the watches I'm interested in have large cases with relatively small movements surrounded by plastic

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    ETA do some nice quartz movements. If you wanted something different, the precidrive (sweep second) quartz movements are reasonably priced and well made. They're also available in common sizes and hand sizes to make it easier. For example, the E64.111 is 11.5 ligne and about 50 quid to buy - it should also satisfy your desire for less plastic:

Quartz movements

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Grand Seiko quartz are seriously impressive. ETA make some good stuff - i.e. the thermocompensated superquartz used in the Breitling Aerospace - and Breitling now have their own movements in the B50, B55 & Emergency.
    Emergency 2 still uses the ETA supplied caliber 76 which is same exact as caliber 79 in the current Aerospace.

The B50/55 are said to be based on ETA thermolines and both were co-developed with Soprod so their "In-house" claim is a bit of a hogwash if you ask me.

The B55 Exospace connected uses a Sprod supplied Bluetooth module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post

The B50/55 are said to be based on ETA thermolines
    Who says this? I've never seen another ETA thermoline with the same functionality so I am genuinely interested in knowing the sources.

Martyn.

Quartz movements

Details are sketchy. Breitling has been tight lipped about the B50/55 movement. Appears they do have much more control over the design and programming but it is still outsourced. These movements use fiber optics for the LCD displays this is why they are so clear and bright. The movements do have co-development with Soprod (Part of the Festina Group) and the B55 BT module is an off the shelf part from Soprod. There are just few articles that detail some of these but notice that Breitling has never shown any schematics of pictures of the movements themselves. Also Breitling only grants a 2 year warranty on these watches another give away to outsourcing in assembly and component origin. The watches are said to be 100% made and designed in Switzerland but I don't buy the 100% in house claim otherwise why we B50/55 owners don't get the benefit of a 5 year warranty like B0x caliber mechanical chronograph owners do?

Don't get me wrong love the watches and my 1 year old B50 Night Mission has been flawless, but I
    Like to see Breitling been a bit more transparent about the development of these watches. I'll try to Google some of the articles given the fact that the B55 is the second most expensive watch in production and the B50
    Is third.

Last edited by Lostintime; 19th January 2017 at 20:18.

There are no off the shelf ETA thermolines with the B50/55 function set but there is nothing to prove or deny the fact that some of the underlying hardware is still ETA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post

Same for my late Father's SQ150. 30 odd years old and faultless.

Is the Seiko Spring Drive the ultimate combo?

Some links to articles, some in French and German so if not versed in these languages use Google translate:

http://mobile2.lematin.ch/articles/5...da8b83ce000001

http://www.theark.ch/de/news/wallise...martwatch-8180

http://www.agefi.com/ageficom/suisse...ee-401893.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....8-00144feab7de

This.

I don't know much about the 7A28/38 movements, but the 7546, 7548, 7C43 and especially the 7549 and 7C46 movements are some of the best quartz movements ever made IMO. The last 2 movements are the quartz movements that have been fitted to Tunas, so are reliable, accurate and durable.

Soprod smart watch BT Technology:

https://www.nordicsemi.com/layout/se...ess-technology

http://soprod.com/smart-quartz/