closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cubs/Scouts

Master

Cubs/Scouts

Anyone on here have any experience with this? Has you child done it/does it?
    I'm thinking of sending my five year old boy. He's full of energy and I think it might be good for him. Learn skills, get out into nature etc etc.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not cubs but my 7 year old daughters go to Brownies. Best thing they've ever done. Really big social scene, they're always off doing stuff.

My daughter tried it for 4 weeks, but didn't take to it ,she's 11 though,there's no doubt he'll learn a lot of things but most weeks are spent in and around the scout hut,and at times it's about like school with an element of sitting and doing work and learning,so if he's full of energy and wants to be on the go all the time it might not be for him,he can only give it a go before you jump in and buy all the gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    All 3 of my kids go to scouts, have 1 in scouts, 1 in cubs and the youngest in beavers. My wife is actually the cubs leader (akela). So if there's anything you want to know I can find out. I do know it can differ between groups, really depends on the attitude of and how active the leadership is. Our group do a lot of activities, especially the older scout group.
    Last edited by gunman; 18th December 2016 at 19:28. Reason: Read post wrong

Two of mine went - to beavers, cubs, rainbows, brownies, and they both liked it.
    Woodcraft folk is also a good alternative.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    I'm not your typical Beaver leader... but, did a stint when my two eldest were younger... I turmed up to one of there fetes and this guy was explaining that if people didn't volunteer their time then these things closed down, and seeing as I was a cub and my my boy and girl were going to Beavers I took the point and volomteered my time for a couple of years on a Wednesday evening when I wasn't away with work... the kids got a lot out of it and I became quite creative with the games, my favourite was a form of dodgeball that I created where rhey ran from one side of side of the hall to the other whilst I booted sponge footballs at them...

The kids had a blast and they learned all sorts of stuff (as did I)

I refused the uniform

Go for it and maybe ask if you can help out?
    Last edited by Wolfie; 18th December 2016 at 19:40.

Craftsman
    Just asked my wife, cubs are only for 8-10 year olds, beavers are 6-8. We have squirrels are 4-6 but not all scout groups have squirrels. TBH, until cubs (and it really kicks off in scouts at 10), they won't do much outdoors. Maybe an organised walk In Summer. Most is indoor in our local church hall. Cubs do small hikes and outdoor camps, our scouts (10 -14) go backpacking up mountains for the weekend etc. After xmas they are doing a barn camp which is a sleeping bag, survival bag etc in an open barn. The temp has to be below zero for it to count apparently. They have also been sailing, kayaking etc(but ours are actually sea scouts).

In all, I'd say it's brilliant for all ages, they all love working towards badges and it has taught them all quite a lot of useful life skills.

Craftsman
    Both of my twin boys are currently going to Beavers and they do enjoy it. Around us we had to put their name down just after birth as it is incredibly well attended, so check you can get them in.
    Other thing to note would be who else attends. I find it is just an extension of their class and it would work better if they were with kids that they didn't know as well.

I was a scout, great times, great character building stuff and lifelong friends made. My boy, who has ASD, started beavers is Sept and is loving it, has already been on his first night hike and took part in the rememberance day march last month.

Master
    I was in the Cubs and scouts from the age of 9 up to 16. I helped out as a scout leader until I was about 20 and moved away from the area. I had a brilliant time throughout. We went camping twice a year and lots of hiking/kayaking/orienteering at weekends. Granted it's 20 years since I was involved, and I'm sure things have changed since then, but I would highly recommend it.

Master
    Went right through all the sections as a kid.
    Now I'm a Scout leader along with several county level roles.
    It's not for all kids some love it others don't.
    My boy dropped out of Scouts as he didn't enjoy it but my daughter loves it, but then they are like chalk and cheese.

Each groups programme varies our Beavers and Cubs still go climbing abseiling and do thinks like archery so come the lighter nights they do get out and about a fair bit.

The only downside is that you have to swear your allegiance to God and Queen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    The only downside is that you have to swear your allegiance to God and Queen.
    You used to have to, not any more. All gone very pc, different promises for different beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    You used to have to, not any more. All gone very pc, different promises for different beliefs.
    Thank God for that.
    Because say for example, god told you to do one thing and the queen another?
    That would be a dilemma wouldn't it

Why not let him try it out?
    My son went through Beavers, Cubs, Scouts & Explorers, he then became an adult leader.

TBH, he was a really difficult child, and it's true to say that he was saved by Scouting, he's now 23 and turned into a wonderful Man, kind, considerate, but with his own views and a pretty solid core.

We know several other guys who have similar stories, we also know several that either didn't go, or who dropped out, and most are not in such a good position. With the right leaders Scouting builds confidence, resourcefulness and pretty effective man and time management skills.

Be careful, otherwise you might find, like me, that you'll become involved and sign up as an adult volunteer/leader.

My parents put me in Beavers and I made my way up through the sections until I became a leader. It is the best thing I ever did.
    I have travelled the world on various camps and expeditions. I have friends all over the place as a result. I met my now wife while we were away on a trip in the United States.

You should put your young lad in and see how he gets on. Oh and if they ask you to help out and say it's only 2hrs a week... they are lying !

Master
    Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like all positives and no negatives, so I'll make enquiries at my local branch.

FYI, kids usually start beavers at 6, but they'll take 5 yr olds from the beginning of the term their 6th birthday is in. My lad started beginning of Sept even though he was only 6 a few weeks ago

My daughter goes to Rainbows, next year it'll be Brownies and she enjoys it.

I went to Cubs, then Sea Scouts and have great memories of both, if I had a son I'd definitely encourage them to go.

Master
    Most groups have waiting lists for the younger sections as well.

My son went to Beavers and then cubs. He didn't like the latter much and only stayed six months because he's not a big fan of huge crowds of screaming kids - unless they're playing football! My 10 year old daughter, on the other hand, LOVES Scouts - they take girls now.

Having done Beavers, Cubs, Brownies and Scouts we've come to realise that all groups are not the same. Like all organisations there are some brilliantly organised and enthusiastic examples and some less so. So try a couple if possible - waiting lists permitting.

And, of course, get involved. No use moaning about things if you're not prepared to do a few weeks or weekends a year yourself!

Journeyman
    I, and my two brothers, went through the whole range of Cubs, Scouts and Venture Scouts many years ago (no Beavers then) and found it to be fantastic. We climbed, hill walked, kayaked and loads more. We were lucky that the Scouts owned their own sites at Auchengillan and Barrwood although I believe they have all been sold off now. The skills I learned there stood me in good stead through many parts of my life and mates I made then, 30 odd years ago, are still mates now.

Our Scout Group was ran by a husband and wife team that were still there when my children started and I still meet them to this day. They are fantastic people and I don't think that these people, who give up many hours of their free time to help others, enough recognition. I, for one, am very very grateful to them.

By all means encourage your child to go along but, the success of the group very much depends on the leaders. If your child takes to it, fantastic and I hope he does.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Definitely give it a try...my son went through Cubs and is in Air Scouts and really enjoys it. My daughter went to Rainbows but didn't really get along with cubs;it definitely depends on the child. That said,it also depends on the leaders.....some are much more involved than others and run things better. If there is a choice of local packs then try and get some feedback from local parents who's children attend them.

Blog Entries
    All ours have been through scouts and loved it. Youngest (13) now heading to explorers next year and cannot wait.

Our group, 1st Oulton Broad is affiliated to the RN so lots of boating. Lots of wild camping, survival camp which is two days of the leaders making sure they are drinking water, not setting fire to themselves and very little else and week long summer camps.

It makes them more rounded individuals, independent and gives them another social group.

My wife is group secretary and I help out with any works that are needed, I only wish more parents would. Folk give a great deal of time for the kids and if all the parents just did a little bit it would be all the better. We also have met some great new friends.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thank God for that.
    Because say for example, god told you to do one thing and the queen another?
    That would be a dilemma wouldn't it
    'Depends if you're a man for all seasons, really

One of the best things I ever did in my youth was join the Scouts ( Sea Scouts) I sailed up the West coast of Scotland in a variety of dinghies and keel boats, was taught proficiency in quick (ish) power boats as well as canoes , row boats and how to build a race imp engine ( there was not a badge for that)

Got more than a rap over the knuckles from "Skip" for making one of my patrol's projects producing a potentially commercial home brew - commended for entrepreneurship but I was told it was against the Scout ethos ( and not only the "Scout" law) so was told to pour it all out or consider my position - what a waste ....

Halcyon days

I would tell your son to go for it

I'm also Akela of my local Cub Scout pack.

Most of the Cubs (boy and girls these days) really enjoy it - it gives them things they often don't get from other clubs. When the Cubs move up to Scouts, we always ask them what their favourite part of being a Cub was - and they usually answer "camping".

Some packs are more outdoorsy than others - it really depends on the leaders. Within our pack, we have some leaders who focus a bit too much (IMHO) on crafts; others like to get the Cubs out on hikes, camps, raft races, etc. For me, the outdoors stuff is what Cubs is really all about, particularly these days where kids seem to spend more and more time inside. Both my sons are within Scouting and they love it.

There is also a good community spirit to it - we always have a stall at the local fetes, march in the Remembrance Day parade and St George's Day parade, do litter picking on the common, ... .

And I went for the non-religious promise - it still involves "duty to the Queen" but includes "upholding Scout values" rather than "God". Although Scout values have a religious base so it does seem a bit of a fudge, but one I could get comfortable with.

Anyway, get your kids to give it a try - there's nothing to be lost.

All three of my kids are in it, they enjoy it... as usual there is the odd numpty parent but what do you expect????

Good for them to meet other kids out of school or sports, broadens their social network which will hopefully transpire to having a few different circles of friends when they are older

I think as others have said, it's great for some and less so for others, so the only way to find out is to let them give it a try.

M.