closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche Boxster - Views

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input.

The intended use of the car will be for trips of up to 4 weeks in mainland Europe. One of the attractions of the Boxster the ability to stow luggage securely.

The Morgan dealer network is fairly thinly spread, and the factory have a real problem in dealing with shipping spares, if they can locate them. If there is a hiccup, you get stuck.

One one of the trips to Nordkapp we met up with a fellow in a Mazda MX5 who was travelling around the Baltic states as a charity event. He was pretty positive about his car dealing with a fairly demanding journey.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Yep ,wife has the boxster but I prefer my cars a little more raw
    Really love these,but when you get to my age it's a marathon to get in and out. That internal sill is far two wide

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Really love these,but when you get to my age it's a marathon to get in and out. That internal sill is far two wide
    I found the seat uncomfortable, I banged my ankle on the sill every time I changed down a gear, you go deaf above 80mph and £10k is a lot of money to replace the chassis.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Not really changing the topic since this is an important consideration...

All the people I speak to ref. Porsche ownership say how important it is to take out a maintenance/warranty contract - IMHO this doesn't speak well about reliability! Can anyone advise about after market maintenance/warranty contracts on a second hand Porsche.

I understand that going through an AD get's you a 2 year warranty but what if you purchase private or through a non-AD?

Advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I found the seat uncomfortable, I banged my ankle on the sill every time I changed down a gear, you go deaf above 80mph and £10k is a lot of money to replace the chassis.
    why would you want to replace the chassis? I am 50 and must admit I make weird noises when getting in and out ,so my kids tell me (bad back and knees).

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Not really changing the topic since this is an important consideration...

All the people I speak to ref. Porsche ownership say how important it is to take out a maintenance/warranty contract - IMHO this doesn't speak well about reliability! Can anyone advise about after market maintenance/warranty contracts on a second hand Porsche.
    You are speaking to the wrong people.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    My wife kept her 987 S under the extended Porsche warranty throughout the ten years she had it, was around £800 pa when she started taking it out, cheaper if you buy two or more years at once, it requires a Porsche check prior to putting in place and that its services within the dealer network.

Most years it payed for it's self I think the last big bill it covered was when a front Spring failed at nine and a half years and because the car lived at the coast most of the fixings were seized and so most of the front suspension was renewed and replaced and realigned for the cost of a spring I think that bill was touching three K.

You might find you don't need to do as much with a indy garage and warranty company but I've no experience so suggest you find your local Porsche indy with a good rep and then have a chat

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    My wife kept her 987 S under the extended Porsche warranty throughout the ten years she had it, was around £800 pa when she started taking it out, cheaper if you buy two or more years at once, it requires a Porsche check prior to putting in place and that its services within the dealer network.

Most years it payed for it's self I think the last big bill it covered was when a front Spring failed at nine and a half years and because the car lived at the coast most of the fixings were seized and so most of the front suspension was renewed and replaced and realigned for the cost of a spring I think that bill was touching three K.

You might find you don't need to do as much with a indy garage and warranty company but I've no experience so suggest you find your local Porsche indy with a good rep and then have a chat
    Thanks

Master
    Don't forget the old maxim that when you buy a £50-60K car that looks like a bargain at £15K, the maintenance costs are still those of a £50-60K car and you should budget accordingly. I don't think any Porsche is particularly expensive to maintain when you consider its initial cost vs the competition (997 3.8l issues aside - they can be ruinuous). Don't expect a Boxster to be as cheap as a MX5 to run, it just wont be, it is after all a 996 which has been messed about (or fixed depending on your viewpoint) and hobbled.
    Last edited by Padders; 21st December 2016 at 12:25.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    To the OP: apologies if someone has already mentioned it, but if you are tall make sure you are comfortable in the car. I'm not overly tall (6') but must have dis-proportionally long legs because every time I moved my foot from the accelerator to the brake I hit my knee on the steering wheel. No amount of seat/wheel movement would allow me to be comfortable and still avoid a knee/wheel interface.

And I don't fit in an MX-5 either
    Thanks for the tip. Slightly built so no issues with sports cars. The Morgan was very comfortable for long journeys surprisingly.

Master
    Going through the posts on the boxter forum I've come away with the conclusion that you really have to purchase an approved vehicle from an AD. You might be able to save a little going to a non authorised dealer but by the time you've added on the warranty etc... (which is a MUST) then there's not much in it.

I agree re. running costs. Owning a Porsche does seem to be an expensive past-time. There's the grand a year for warranty (included in the price from an AD). Then there's the much more expensive service/insurance and the fact that the nearest dealer might be half way across the country. Perhaps, at least, another grand or two on top for the essentials (service/insurance/tax/tyres/etc...). Makes running a Lotus look REAL cheap: A new Elise cost me £100 for service, £200 for insurance, £200 for tax and that was it - no special warranty needed. The 3 year old Elise I ran for a couple of years was even cheaper to run and, again, no special warranty needed because it really doesn't cost that much to repair (lots of Toyota parts probably helps). And, of course, there's the depreciation - by that I mean a LOT worse on the Porsche!

However saying all that I think every 'petrol head' (I hate that expression) must at least ONCE in their life own a Porsche.
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 22nd December 2016 at 09:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Don't forget the old maxim that when you buy a £50-60K car that looks like a bargain at £15K, the maintenance costs are still those of a £50-60K car and you should budget accordingly.
    Completely agree with this.

Having had a few Porkers, including a 986 3.2s, I would advise you to

1. Decide on your spec including mileage and service history. There were loads about and you can cherry pick, also applies to 987s.
    2. Get the docs ie. history & receipts sent to you to check over. Any genuine / interested / competent seller will do this and you may help not to waste time on cars that don't fit your criteria (ie. missed services etc)
    3. Agree with the vendor to have the car inspected at your cost. Any major issues negotiate to split the cost. If bad then walk and maybe sell the report to the vendor.

I found my 986S on Pistonheads, a very well spec'd car with a large and complete history file; it flew through the inspection, paid £8.5K. Sold it 18 months later for £8.3K, only costs were a £295 service.

Ian

I had a 986 2.5 & 3.2S after having a couple of Lotus Elise & a Caterham 7. We now have a Mk3 MX5 which is mainly the wife's car.

The 2.5 Boxster was under-powered, but the 3.2 was like a grown up Elise - I loved it. I also never had any reliability issues.

When Foxy says about the MX5 being more fun at lower speeds he has a point, but his is a MK1 MX5. They can be picked up cheaply, but rust is a VERY common issue. The later ones are also fun, but a lot heavier and even the 2.0 engine is lacking in grunt. You can however pick up a really nice MX5 for £6k.

I'd heartily recommend trying an Elise. If the relative lack of practicality is not an issue they are an absolute hoot to drive.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Boxster v mx5

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Yeah, he's a dick and always comes out with the hairdresser comments. You'll get plenty of them for owning a Boxster too, and remember it's 'not a real Porsche'.

The NA MX-5 weighs 940kg, the 986 Boxster S, 1,295kg, and that's a big bugbear for me. You can rag the hell out of an MX-5 all day long and take it to its limits fairly easily, with the Boxster you have to be breaking the speed limit by a long way to get it to feel like it's actually doing anything, and feel like you're actually driving it. I prefer weight over the front wheels and a loose tail (ooh err!), with the Boxster you need to be carrying someting heavy in the front bonnet to make it give it decent front bite, and the amount of grip is phenomenal. The Boxster wins over the MX-5 in lots of ways but for me it's about having fun driving at all speeds and in all weather conditins, whether I want to rag the car or not, and while I found the Boxter hugely capable it was also dull to drive, relative to the Mazda.

It all depends what you want from the car and how you intend to drive it. I realised with the Boxster I was going to lose my licence in a big way if I continued trying to have fun driving it. I also found it incredibly uncomfortable, while I fit in an MX-5 perfectly. They're beautifully engineered, mine never had condensation on the inside of the windscreen, the front and rear boots do allow you to carry a lot of stuff and so on and so forth. My MX attracts condensation like a bitch, rattles, doesn't have an extremely good speaker/stereo system and so on and so forth.

I'd have a 911 (a 996 Carrera would be nice) at the drop of a hat but it's a different car to the Boxster. If I'd wanted a coupe instead of my 986 I would have gone for a 968 or Integra Type R but I didn't. As a convertible sports car the MX just works for me. If I do get a 911 it will be as well as the MX, not instead of one, and I'd approach it as a GT car, not a sports car like the Boxster or MX.

If you do look at an MX, avoid Mk2s. They rust from the inside out.
    An update.

I took a test drive in the latest MX5 today. It was a very impressive car. Great gearbox, clutch and steering. Coming from a Morgan it was strange to be driving a rattle free car.

I have requested a test drive in the new 718 but no manual version appears to be available at the moment.

Master

Boxster2.7

As the buyer of Darren's (Yuma) Boxster back in the summer I would say the feel, handling, quality and overall performance for the money is excellent. I too have owned a scooby WRX, SL 320/450 and several fast Fords over the years , I have just turned 60, and driven in numerous Road Rallies back in the day.
    I am also fortunate to have a playground called Beacon Fell on my doorstep where, on a quite morning, I can use he Porsche as it was intended........no speed cameras.
    Buy a 2.7! I also had a day in the 3.2 but despite being a bit faster in a straight line the power delivery from the 2.7 is more useable. Bang for buck you won't go far wrong so long as you buy a loved one.

Martyn at Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    why would you want to replace the chassis? I am 50 and must admit I make weird noises when getting in and out ,so my kids tell me (bad back and knees).
    I seem to recall the suspension is essentially glued on and if you damage the mount the chassis needs replacing. Lotus weren't clear what had happened but it was a press car, a few people drove it and I wasn't paying for the repair so didn't push it.
    "A man of little significance"

I had a 986S for 6 years and had no problems at all with it. Took it on hoons to Wales and the Alps regularly and it was perfect for the twisty roads. I sold it to a close friend three years ago and it's still going strong. I didnt have a warranty on it and maybe I've been lucky but it's never had any major issues. I replaced the Boxster with a 997 and I think the Boxster was much more fun. Ignore the idiots who will say the usual hairdresser comments or "couldn't you afford a real Porsche?" anyone who has driven one properly will always respect it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifG View Post
    I had a 986S for 6 years and had no problems at all with it. Took it on hoons to Wales and the Alps regularly and it was perfect for the twisty roads. I sold it to a close friend three years ago and it's still going strong. I didnt have a warranty on it and maybe I've been lucky but it's never had any major issues. I replaced the Boxster with a 997 and I think the Boxster was much more fun. Ignore the idiots who will say the usual hairdresser comments or "couldn't you afford a real Porsche?" anyone who has driven one properly will always respect it
    My father (who had both) says exactly the same about 986 vs 997. It wasn't that the 997 wasn't a better car, it was just less fun and not worth the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyndogs View Post
    As the buyer of Darren's (Yuma) Boxster back in the summer I would say the feel, handling, quality and overall performance for the money is excellent. I too have owned a scooby WRX, SL 320/450 and several fast Fords over the years , I have just turned 60, and driven in numerous Road Rallies back in the day.
    I am also fortunate to have a playground called Beacon Fell on my doorstep where, on a quite morning, I can use he Porsche as it was intended........no speed cameras.
    Buy a 2.7! I also had a day in the 3.2 but despite being a bit faster in a straight line the power delivery from the 2.7 is more useable. Bang for buck you won't go far wrong so long as you buy a loved one.

Martyn at Lancaster.
    Hi Martyn.
    Glad you are enjoying my Boxster, she was a beauty, miss her but my new Mini JCW is doing a good job of filling the gap. Great car the 986 2.7.
    All the best
    Yumma

Craftsman

Progress

Hello All

Thanks for all the input.

I have agreed to buy a 718 manual. It's a 2016 car with 700 miles on the clock. There is a Porsche warranty until September 2019. There are bags of extras I wouldn't have bothered with ordering but as they were on the car and I was happy with the numbers, I'll take them without complaint.

I pick it up next week so will report and post some pics.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    Well done and congratulations - I've been casting a wandering eye on a few Caymans, as an alternative to my 335d, not sure whether to take the plunge as the 335d is such a great all rounder.

I'm assuming from the mileage etc. that you're buying from a Porsche dealer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone drove or drives a nissan GTR? Them things look like they would give anything a run for there money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Well done and congratulations - I've been casting a wandering eye on a few Caymans, as an alternative to my 335d, not sure whether to take the plunge as the 335d is such a great all rounder.

I'm assuming from the mileage etc. that you're buying from a Porsche dealer?
    Hi

Yes OPC in Edinburgh.

One of the factors I considered was the practical layout of the storage. The previous car, Morgan plus4, need to be loaded up with luggage rack and then a 90 litre waterproof bag.

The sorts of trips I tend to do are long distance and typically up to a month in duration. Travelling solo is no issue as I could load up the passenger footwell with kit and use the rear shelf. Travelling with a passenger for a long trip was proving to be a bit of a slog.

The Boxster has two storage areas, one front and the other rear, so secure and better balanced.

You might enjoy a test drive in a Cayman!