closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - rogue one

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on the Vader scenes ?
    I would avoid knowing anymore and go and see it asap - his final scene is awesome and the highlight of the film for me!

The Vader scene shows, for the first time, what he can really do. It was quite horrific (in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Just returned from the cinema with my 18yr old son, we're both SW nuts. Both thought it was excellent.

If you don't like Star Wars it's not gonna convert you though.......

I thought it was clever how the human characters look like they've escaped from 1977
    Punk Rockers, bondage trousers and safety pins?

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Pure escapism.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

As I thought, my 4yo and 8yo were both fine watching the film. They are well versed in Star Wars though. My son went in his Cody costume.

Saw it yesterday. Was apprehensive because I didn't rate "Force Awakens".
    I was worrying in vain. I thought it was great, action scenes were spot on, liked the characters (thought Director Krennic was great!) and the ending was unexpected but fitting.
    I'd say it was the best since the original trilogy.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Punk Rockers, bondage trousers and safety pins?
    Feather tashe's and bad haircuts

I have seen it twice so far. First was a preview showing on Thursday. The second was on Saturday, we trooped two different theaters (but I only saw it once).

For those that do not know I am the Vader.

In order

1. Empire
    2. Rogue One
    3. Star Wars
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return

(I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the other lot - they did not happen)

Master
    Saw it last night - loved it! Will definitely watch it again.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be taking my son next week :-)

If there isn't a wookie and an at-at in it, it isn't star wars
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

^Dave-O, there's a great AT-AT scene.

If you want Wookie, Messrs Magirus and Velorum have provided.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    If there isn't a wookie and an at-at in it, it isn't star wars
    There wasn't an At At in a new hope lol

There wasn't an At At in a new hope lol
    Or a wookie thankfully.

I'm a Star Wars fan but was watching 'The Empire Strikes Back' again last night...

...and have to admit it was seeming a bit naff, dated and unsophisticated. Average acting, average script, average story. :( You need more than nostalgia to sustain a film's appeal.

'Rogue One' is probably a future classic, but all the rest (7 films) probably need to be re-made into one 3-hr 'anthology'.

...and I am one of the ORIGINAL fans - having first seen 'A New Hope' at age 10yrs in 1977 - at the 'Pictures'. :)
    Last edited by The Hack; 20th December 2016 at 08:49.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Or a wookie thankfully.

Whoah whoah sorry am I in another dimension ? Has anyone seen Star Wars 1 (a new hope) ? There were no At Ats in the film and there WAS a wookie - unless there is another version out there without cheebacca and Han Solo chartering Luke, obi wan and the droids to alderan 🙂

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...and have to admit it was seeming a bit naff, dated and unsophisticated. Average acting, average script, average story. :( You need more than nostalgia to sustain a film's appeal.

'Rogue One' is probably a future classic, but all the rest (7 films) probably need to be re-made into one 3-hr 'anthology'.

...and I am one of the ORIGINAL fans - having first seen 'A New Hope' at age 10yrs in 1977 - at the 'Pictures'. :)

If ESB seems naff what does that make A New Hope - positively wooden !?

I always thought ESB was meant to be the darker best sequel of all the Star Wars films - I personally prefer ROTJ out of them all

Wasn't there a Wookiee arming a side gun in one of the U wings on the beach assault?

Saw it here on the 15th in NZ, all the previous comments ring true, took my 3 kids 10, 8 & 6 and I did cringe at the last Vadar scene that even my kids tensed up with.... fairly hefty destruction!

Thoroughly enjoyed, I think we all came away saying it was sad and my 8 year old son said it was the worst Star Wars because everyone "you know what"

Anyway... token watch picture of my 1977 Seiko Pan Am which I wore to the premiere here as a memento of seeing the very first Star Wars movie in 1977 with my Dad :)

Whoah whoah sorry am I in another dimension ? Has anyone seen Star Wars 1 (a new hope) ? There were no At Ats in the film and there WAS a wookie - unless there is another version out there without cheebacca and Han Solo chartering Luke, obi wan and the droids to alderan
    I got my wookies mixed up with ewoks
    :(

I apologise to the entire wookie nation.

It was the ewoks, they messed with my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucy View Post
    Wasn't there a Wookiee arming a side gun in one of the U wings on the beach assault?
    I consulted my Lego U-Wing box and can confirm the sidegunner in the U-Wing is called Bistan. According to Wookieepedia, the character is a male Iakaru.

Craftsman
    Saw it last night and generally enjoyed it. Not convinced about the digital characters though - at times it felt like I was watching a video game, not a movie.

It was interesting to see a comparison of what shots were in the trailers but not in the final movie, and how the reshoots may have affected the story (here, with spoilers obviously).
    Last edited by StackH; 20th December 2016 at 11:26.

I think you need to hand your fan card in...

I think the idea of 'anthologising' the first 3 films with the others is a terrible idea.

The first one (Star Wars, Episode IV, A new Hope, whatever you choose to call it) was ground breaking.

OK, I know someone will point out other sci-fi before, but none had the impact Star Wars did (maybe 2001, but a very different style of film)

Turning that into 20 minutes of an anthology is akin to saying you could do Lawrence of Arabia in a 30 minutes, studio based afternoon drama... You COULD, but you'd have utterly missed the point!

No-one ever went to a Star Wars film for Oscar winning acting, they're sci-fi epics, of their time and brilliant for it.

That's not just nostalgia, it's an understanding of their place in film history, which the first film (and probably the first trilogy) absolutely have.

Of course they have flaws. No film doesn't...

I wonder if you'll feel so certain of Rogue One's place as a classic in 5 years time, let alone 40?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th December 2016 at 12:20.

Red face

Agreed - see below. But unfortunately, watching them now they are really not THAT exciting or well written. Compare to (say) 'Bladerunner' which is still fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think you need to hand your fan card in...

I think the idea of 'anthologising' the first 3 films with the others is a terrible idea.

The first one (Star Wars, Episode IV, A new Hope, whatever you choose to call it) was ground breaking.

OK, I know someone will point out other sci-fi before, but none had the impact Star Wars did (maybe 2001, but a very different style of film)

Turning that into 20 minutes of an anthology is akin to saying you could do Lawrence of Arabia in a 30 minutes, studio based afternoon drama... You COULD, but you'd have utterly missed the point!

No-one ever went to a Star Wars film for Oscar winning acting, they're sci-fi epics, of their time and brilliant for it.

That's not just nostalgia, it's an understanding of their place in film history, which the first film (and probably the first trilogy) absolutely have.

Of course they have flaws. No film doesn't...

I wonder if you'll feel so certain of Rogue One's place as a classic in 5 years time, let alone 40?

M

Agreed - see below. But unfortunately, watching them now they are really not THAT exciting or well written. Compare to (say) 'Bladerunner' which is still fantastic.
    I've never really rated Bladerunner as highly as many, but it's a very different type of film.

Bladerunner is Philip Marlow in space and Star Wars is a western in space

I can watch the original Star Wars over and over, I very rarely bother watching any film more than once.

Things move on, but I think the original film, especially, holds its own even today.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 20th December 2016 at 13:14.

George Lucas does seem to get a fair bit of flack for his writing.

Still love the original trilogy dearly though.

Master
    Just came back from watching this. Excellent movie, really enjoyed it.
    It's a testament to how popular the Star Wars series is, that the movie was still showing in the complex' biggest screen and it was still packed 5 days after the release.

Went to see if earlier tonight with a couple of mates, I really enjoyed it. I intentionally kept away from this thread and other reviews as I didn't want to hear anything about the storyline beforehand, I'm glad I went to the effort as it may have spoiled it.

Blog Entries
    It was I found a very dark and brilliant Star Wars movie. With a lot going on subconsciously than meets the eye. It was quite saddening in parts

Blog Entries
    The attention to detail felt as though it was released in the 70's early 80's
    My favourite film this year and paled force awakens

Master
    I must be the only one who found the film fairly boring and underwhelming and very drawn out particularly at the start and just when you think the films gonna pick up it ends....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We thought it was great! Good plot and characters, yes the first bit was a bit drawn out, but there was plenty of references to earlier films for us older types. Alas Peter Cushing is irreplaceable, but very impressive effect I thought.

Sound quality was not great especially in the first 20 minutes (but I blame the cinema for that), but I was geninuely surprised how much I enjoyed it and how clever it was linking this story to the original New Hope.

A very solid 8/10.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I must be the only one who found the film fairly boring and underwhelming and very drawn out particularly at the start and just when you think the films gonna pick up it ends....

You are not the only one, my missus absolutely hated it. I wouldn't be so harsh, but I was disappointed. As the movies goes, this was pretty sub par.
    I understand what they were trying to do, but the execution of it was bad.
    As for the record, I am not contrarian, rating something bad just because it is popular. Characters were poorly developed, 2/3 of the movie boring, and once the action started, it had video game feeling, go there, click the switch, jump trough some rotation contraption with blades, it was embarrassing tbh.

There were some good ideas, even great, it just that all felt clunky and disjointed. I would say if they spent few more months developing the script (towards Sam Peckinpah kind of movie) it would've been glorious.
    Last edited by caye031; 26th December 2016 at 11:07.

7/10
    force awakens was 9/10

Master
    Superb movie, liked the force awakens but it wasnt as good as this in any way. Reminded me of what I loved about Star Wars in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    You are not the only one, my missus absolutely hated it. I wouldn't be so harsh, but I was disappointed. As the movies goes, this was pretty sub par.
    As for the record, I am not contrarian, rating something bad just because it is popular. Characters were poorly developed, 2/3 of the movie boring, and once the action started, it had video game feeling, go there, click the switch, jump trough some rotation contraption with blades, it was embarrassing tbh.

There were some good ideas, even great, it just that all felt clunky and disjointed. I would say if they spent few more months developing the script (towards Sam Peckinpah kind of movie) it would've been glorious.
    Wow, that's a thorough analyses. You should offer your services to the production company! My analyses has only three variations: no, mwah and yes. This one is yes.

Menno

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Wow, that's a thorough analyses. You should offer your services to the production company! My analyses has only three variations: no, mwah and yes. This one is yes.

Menno

Thorough my ass, but I do believe in writing more than one sentence if I feel inclined to give opinion about something, lol

Blog Entries
    Thorough my ass, but I do believe in writing more than one sentence if I feel inclined to give opinion about something, lol
    No seriously! If I didn't make that clear enough, then write it down to the fact that English isn't my first language! The moment you bring in a guy like Peckinpah, it's clear that your more interested in movies that a lot of others. Peckilnpah's style (grim, often violent and with a protagonist turning bad - like Straw Dogs) would be interesting to adapt for a SW movie. Although, it must be said that P. didn't write all scenarios. Often, it was an adaptation of a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    7/10
    force awakens was 9/10

Hmm, let's agree to disagree!
    As a fan since 1977, The Force Awakens struck me as a clumsy rehash of the original movie, complete with yet another death star, loner on a desert planet, copycat Vader clone, copycat 'Empire' and 'Emperor' and utterly bereft of anything creative or original. Dreadful.
    Rogue One is exactly how my 8 year old mind imagined the world of Star Wars, and is right up there with the original trilogy - but hey, any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars at all, and at least Disney have made one decent movie!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    In order

1. Empire
    2. Rogue One
    3. Star Wars
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return

(I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the other lot - they did not happen)

Yet to see Rogue One, but if this list is right (I agree with the rest) then I am in for a treat.
    I anticipate sseing it a couple of times on the big screen.

Whilst I have not seen Rogue 1, surely this is partly down to the releasing of Episode 4 (original Star Wars) in 1977 and the jumping around he story line?
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 27th December 2016 at 22:39. Reason: typo
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Yet to see Rogue One, but if this list is right (I agree with the rest) then I am in for a treat.
    I anticipate sseing it a couple of times on the big screen.
    you are in for a treat for sure. especially the finale.

I also feel this film is right behind Empire. really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring13 View Post
    you are in for a treat for sure. especially the finale.

I also feel this film is right behind Empire. really good.

Fantastic news, thank you

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saw it again last night - was even better second time round!!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Saw it again last night - was even better second time round!!
    My son (14) is seeing it again on Friday - very high praise indeed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Saw it yesterday and would rate 7 out of 10; superb CGI and effects (Peter Cushing awesome) but the first half was very jumpy in story development and the second half typical action climax but the better half for sure. Worth watching but I thought force awakens was better....

Master
    I agree: it was 'jumpy' in the first part of the movie (and unnecessarily so), but later settled into a rhythm. Some of the scenes could have been more complex and evoked greater atmosphere as there was/is in the original Star Wars films. Also, a number of the characters were too earnest, and more humour would have been preferable (again, as in the original Star Wars films). Overall, a creditable film and worth watching (and a vast improvement on a number of, if not all the other, prequels), imho.

Cheers,

AP.

Craftsman
    I watched Rogue One yesterday and agree that the first 1/3 of the film was a bit jumpy to set up the final 2/3. Possibly one too many locations in the storyline. Overall though a great film, and for me as good as The Empire Strikes Back (the series best in my humble opinion). The beach combat scenes were very well filmed. Some of the shots, such as the fly out from the rebel base were frame for frame with a New Hope, a nice acknowledgement of the heritage. The Force Awakens is defiantly second best to Rogue one, again in my humble opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the balance of humour was spot on for Rogue One, the Force Awakens was a bit too much in Jar Jar territory for me in some places.