timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - rogue one

Blog Entries

Star Wars - rogue one

Anyone seen it yet ?

Please, no spoilers

Just got back from the cinema. Thought it was much better than the last one.

I haven't, but I am hearing lots and lots of very positive reviews from friends that went to see it last night at the midnight showing.

I cant wait to see it. I have avoided watching the trailers and reading anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Just got back from the cinema. Thought it was much better than the last one.
    That's hardly a ringing endorsement considering the last instalment was a fairly lame rehashed effort.

Master
    am seeing it tomorrow.. looking forward to it :)

Master
    Lets hope Felicity Jones isn't as wooden in it as she was in Inferno!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just back from seeing it, I really enjoyed it, it was like being taken back to the first releases, only niggle I had was the cgi faces on some, I cant say anymore....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not perfect but the finale.... holy crap! may be one of the best in the series!!!

The last third of the film is better then anything since the original trilogy!!

Not seen it yet but hoping to at some point over the holiday period.

Craftsman
    going tonight, high hopes as it's getting decent reviews by all accounts

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its more deserving of a real Star Wars film then simply a "spin off" when comparing to others in the series.

Half way thru I thought it was good but not great and then from there the film really took off in a cool way!

Will be interesting to hear what Lucas thinks of it

Looking forward to seeing this again at home on my own setup!!

Red face Agree with all the positive comments!

It's a very good film, especially for fans. :) George Lucas can't say SQUAT after the totally cr@p first 3 Episodes that he was totally responsible for.

Blog Entries
    You mean the second three from Lucas (the prequels) ? Not the originals they weren't crap

Master
    Might have to get around to watching the last one :o

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    You mean the second three from Lucas (the prequels) ? Not the originals they weren't crap
    Im pretty sure he is referring to the first three as per chronological order - the ones with the childrens cartoon characters in.

I find them unwatchable.

The latest one was OK - good special effects but not as good as I had hoped.

R1 looks very good indeed so am looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Four tickets for 20:30 hr CET tonight in the local cinema. Looking forward after all the positive comments here

Saw it last night. I thought it was good but must admit I preferred the Force Awakens. The beginning and end were very good, but it dragged a bit in the middle. Loved the new Robot who was like a sociopathic version of C3PO. It's just a shame that they all xxxx xx xxx xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    It's just a shame that they all xxxx xx xxx xxx.
    Far too difficult to decipher your code...

Craftsman
    Saw it last night. Exceptional film, best since original trilogy despite some excessive CGI. Have now managed to convince the wife she wants to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    am seeing it tomorrow.. looking forward to it :)
    Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I thought it was very good overall. I've some negatives -
    - too long. It's over two hours, and that was too long.
    - A messy, bitty opening 20 minutes. Lots of go here, see him, then there. And it's just a bit of a jumble.
    - er...
    - that's it?

Positives?
    - some old favourites return, unexpectedly!
    - the integration between the cgi and the real world is excellent. The way that the ships land in the 'real' world especially - the shuttle landing on the wet, green planet neaar to the start?
    - some good callbacks for the fanboys.

It was good. I liked the cast - a good supporting crew, all likeable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I thought it was very good overall. I've some negatives -
    - too long. It's over two hours, and that was too long.
    - A messy, bitty opening 20 minutes. Lots of go here, see him, then there. And it's just a bit of a jumble.
    - er...
    - that's it?

Positives?
    - some old favourites return, unexpectedly!
    - the integration between the cgi and the real world is excellent. The way that the ships land in the 'real' world especially - the shuttle landing on the wet, green planet neaar to the start?
    - some good callbacks for the fanboys.

It was good. I liked the cast - a good supporting crew, all likeable.
    Yeah def could have streamlined / trimmed a bit of the first half however the second half
    more then makes up for it.

I would have been happy paying the ticket fee just to see the last 3 minutes :)

Craftsman
    Saw it last night in 3D....some of the cgi is as good as anything I have seen, there is the odd bit (no spoiler) that is very poor.

As for the film - really enjoyed it. The last 20 to 30 minutes are excellent! Good cast, some very good characters and a very good storyline compared with some of the other Star Wars films.

Worth seeing on the big screen.

The exposition is definitely in need of an edit.

Having said that, I enjoyed it. Some good acting and excellent characterisation.

We Brits are still quite good at providing middle-aged villains.

Just back and a couple of thoughts:

I can remember watching the start of Force Awakes saying to myself "please don't be shit, please don't be shit" and was delighted when it was great, ok it is basically a rehash of most of Star Wars but really well done.

Wasn't so tense going into Rogue One but had heard about some extensive reshoots. Its a bit all over the place for the first 20 mins but to be expected with new characters and places, kicks into gear with some great mid film sequences, goes a bit slow on the next planet but the final hour or so is properly breathtaking for a Star Wars film. It's dark and follows through with enough humour and references to keep you happy whether you are a fan boy or not.

The CGI character was a bit 'uncanny valley' but better than I've seen before and the Vader scenes vary from a bit hammy to stunning.

Right up there for me out of all the films.

Star Wars - rogue one

Wifey has got a friend over to watch the Strictly final tomorrow night, so me and my two boys are getting out of Dodge and heading up to the Odeon to watch it.

Saw it last night and thought it was very good, on reflection it was excellent and i can't wait to see it again! - much better than The Force Awakens, which - although way better than the godawful prequels - was a dopey reshash of the original film with the stupid starkiller base premise. Rogue One is the kind of film I expected back in the late 70's, like the early comic strips, and as a fortysomething longtime fan I thought it was fantastic!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Just returned. Far better than The Force Awakens. Really a 'must see' movie. What the others said about length, story line and last hour is correct.

Menno

I've not read this thread fully as I don't want to see spoilers.

Question.

Should I book for the family to see it in 2D or 3D?

I've been a bit meh about films I've seen in 3D so far. The Martian for instance I felt I'd rather have seen in 2D.

Any advice?

I'm taking my 12 year old nephew, so I'm thinking he'd prefer 3D.

Kinda wish there wasn't a choice!

Blog Entries
    With a kid? 3D. It's more or less the same question our parents asked: go for Mono or Stereo. We, kids back then, already knew the answer!

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im on holiday at the moment and had the choice of 2D, 3D and 4D (or is it 4DX)

Anyhow I went with 2D as not a fan of the 3D but was intrigued by the 4D thing

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I've not read this thread fully as I don't want to see spoilers.

Question.

Should I book for the family to see it in 2D or 3D?

I've been a bit meh about films I've seen in 3D so far. The Martian for instance I felt I'd rather have seen in 2D.

Any advice?

I'm taking my 12 year old nephew, so I'm thinking he'd prefer 3D.

Kinda wish there wasn't a choice!
    2D all the way.

3D is just a distraction.

Mind you, with a leg in plaster and two children in tow I opted for simplicity.

I'd still have gone for 2D even if I'd been with friends rather than family though.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    With a kid? 3D. It's more or less the same question our parents asked: go for Mono or Stereo. We, kids back then, already knew the answer!

M.
    Mono all the way for Zep, Kinks, Stones and Beatles.

They spent 3 weeks on the mono mix of Sgt Pepper's; a few days on stereo.....

Master
    I saw this last night and it is a really good film, better than The Force Awakens.

Bit of comedy in places, it has a good plot and is very enjoyable to watch.

There is a bit of dodgy cgi as mentioned below. See if you can spot it!

I saw this on Thursday. Despite being a big Star Wars fan I wasn't looking forward to this. I don't know why, but I wasn't. However, I really enjoyed it. Great action, brilliant comedy relief from the new droid character and some enjoyable "cameos" from recognised characters.

Master
    Yes the droid could have it's own stand up show.... sort of...

Can't wait to see this! Any views from those who've seen it as to whether it's suitable for a 7 year old? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Can anyone elaborate on the Vader scenes ?

The first one or two were half decent space westerns. The next half dozen were sh*t. Who has the energy anymore?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Can't wait to see this! Any views from those who've seen it as to whether it's suitable for a 7 year old? Thanks
    IMHO it's not suitable for 7 y/o. Can't go into details without giving away a part of the story. Let's say the story is darker, more grim than what we've seen until now.

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on the Vader scenes ?
    what I can say is that they seem to have corrected the scaling now, he looks the way he used to in the original movies, they messed this up big time when Anakin became Vader, he was too short for it, and it looked wrong.

he isnt in it much, but when he is it makes perfect sense.

Review by Kermode.

I don't think he gives away any significant plot details - if he does and I've missed it, happy to delete the link.

Master
    Saw it today and thought it was absolutely superb. The droid had some cracking one-liners as mentioned and the story line fits in great with the rest of the story.

Off to butlins on Mon, hope it's on at the cenema there, i'll take the boy. If not, i'll go some time over xmas, really lookibg forward to it.

Brighty

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

I see that it is rated 12A, for moderate violence.

Films classified 12A and video works classified 12 contain material that is not generally suitable for children aged under 12. No one younger than 12 may see a 12A film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. Adults planning to take a child under 12 to view a 12A film should consider whether the film is suitable for that child.

I'm taking my 8 yo daughter and 4 yo son to see it tomorrow after watching it myself on Thursday. I have no concerns over either seeing it. My son has watched all of Clone Wars, Rebels and ANH, ESB and RotJ so is heavily into the Star Wars universe. There is nothing in Rogie One that he hasn't seen in Clone Wars.

Master
    Watched it this afternoon. I'm a bit if a Star Wars fanboy, and I was really impressed. Lots of references to episodes 4-6, and some old faces crop up in good ways. Good plot, mostly interesting characters and some great acting, too. The finale, to quote my son, was 'Epic!'.

As for violence, my lad is 8, and was fine with it. It does have some dark parts and quite alot of death, but nothing really gory. It's a 12A, which seems appropriate.

I am looking forward to seeing it again!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Just returned from the cinema with my 18yr old son, we're both SW nuts. Both thought it was excellent.

If you don't like Star Wars it's not gonna convert you though.......

I thought it was clever how the human characters look like they've escaped from 1977

There was nothing in Rogue One that made me think it was a mistake to show it to my children.

Can't say the same for the previous films though. In particular, the chair torture scene in The Force Awakens, the Vader beheading in ESB and the arm severing in ANH are all bits I fast forward now.