closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running after cartilage operation

Grand Master

Running after cartilage operation....Update

Have we any runners on here who've continued running after a knee cartilage op?

I officially gave up running 3-4 years ago owing to chronic Achilles tendon problems. Unofficially I always kept doing a bit of light jogging. Unfortunately I damaged a meniscus cartilage this summer whilst racing stepdaughter's Labrador downhill on rough ground (I was beating the 4 legged f***er) and subsequently had surgery to fix it and clean the joint up.

The consultant's given me the OK to continue light running, but there's a degree of wear and tear present so the knee will never be perfect. Much as I`m keen to get out and do a bit, I don`t want to end up doing more damage.

I`m 58 so I don`t plan to go silly, 2 or 3 runs/week would be fine. Just returned from doing 25 minutes steady, I can feel the knee but it's a dull ache rather than sharp pain. I`m still fit enough to do some light running provided the knee will let me and the old Achilles issues don`t flare up.

Apart from not racing the dog again, has anyone any advice based on their own experience?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd June 2017 at 16:50.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had two lots of cartilage out of my left knee, I still run, but it does still ache a bit......I must point out I am a reluctant runner!!!

mike

Grand Master
    Cheers Mike,
    If you can still run a bit I should be OK!

Running's like an addiction, I 've done it since I was 13......I could've been a contender

I've run after knee injuries, specifically a torn quad right above the knee. Couple of physio visits with ultrasound and some strengthening exercises, I then built up,the miles slowly with the aid of a neoprene support. Afterwards if it was a bit niggly, just used ibuprofen (tablets and gel)', support and ice pack, kept it elevated and it eventually eased off. I'm now back up to 30-40K per week with no issues.

Paul, what were the symptoms like. I haven't run for nearly a year now due to left knee problems. I have been the Doctors a few times and they always seem to end up giving me physiotherapy to build the muscles above the knee. I personally don't think this is the issue, it feels more like I have got something behind the knee cap. I have heard of people having bits of floating bone and the like removed.

I took up hour long walks 3 times a week in the summer to replace the running and I was able to do that, even at a brisk pace, but running leave the knee sore. There is clearly an impact issue. Perhaps walking and a go on the exercise bike is the answer, but it just isn't the same.

I therefore currently have a user name that goes against the trades descriptions act.

I am 55 and don't want to turn into a fat ba***rd.

The joys of getting old.
    Ken

Journeyman
    AAH the joys of getting old! I've had cartilages out and keyhole surgery.I was a really keen jogger, but age caught up with me, I'm 64. I gave the jogging up and bought a road bike. Never looked back. The thing is as the consultant said if you carry on you will wreck your knees doing the jogging.

If you really must jog, see a sports physio who will give you advice on which exercises to strengthen your leg muscles.

I found the bike has given me a level of fitness, whilst obviously taking the weight off my knees. I also swim. Soooo there are other ways of keeping fit which you give fitness levels.

I'd try walking. It's much easier on the joints and as beneficial as jogging if you do it properly.

From your previous posts, it seems like you were a good runner and running has been good to you.

But it sounds like your biomechanics are giving you some strong signals.

Even if you get members telling you they've run after surgery, it could be time to consider switching disciplines perhaps.

I'm just on the cusp of making the change. I'll probably do some running and cycling for a bit but the long-term goal is to switch to something with lower impact.

Master
    Ultimately you just have to listen to your body I guess so give it a go and stop if things hurt. But you probably need to accept the levels will be less than before.

I stopped running last year because it was making my knees hurt, and talk up cycling instead.

However, I have lost 12kg since then so I went for a run with her indoors a few months ago and surprised myself at finding it easy and pain free, and have done a bit since and so far so good. I'm still going to focus on cycling as my source of fitness (I am quite addicted to the spin classes at my gym) but will do some running on top and plan to do a 10k in the spring and see how I get on - I want to have another go at the Windsor half next September so we'll see how it goes.

I suspect you weight isn't an issue for you but you take my point, take it easy and listen to your body. If it doesn't work out move to something else.

Master
    I was in a very similar position to you a few years ago when 50 (now 55); had ruptured my Achilles' tendon when 25 (surgically repaired), had cartilage removed from both knees and a number of operations since to 'Hoover the bits' out.

I was used to running three or four times a week but pain just got too much. I gave it up due largely to the fact that I wanted to continue skiing as long as I could and playing tennis.

I started swimming for cardio and eventually got better and a bit more used to it. There's an outdoor pool at my gym and I ease the boredom listening to music (http://www.finisinc.com/Duo) and both factors help as I couldn't stick swimming indoors.

I'm definitely on schedule for replacement knees at some point but continuing to run would definitely accelerate the process.

Getting old ain't much fun really.....

Grand Master
    Thanks for the comments, it's useful to hear other folks's suggestions/experiences.

Cycling makes sense as an alternative , apart from the fact that I don`t like it! Too much traffic on the roads for me to ever feel safe. I plan to continue in the gym, and work on leg strength. If I can do a couple of light runs /week, ideally on soft ground to minimise impact, I`ll settle for that and see how it goes. I used to swim many years ago, but I never found it easy; maybe I could give it another try.

I have a long history of Achilles/calf problems; with these injuries any level of pain/discomfort is a bad sign and shouldn`t be ignored. The impression I`m getting with chronic knee problems is somewhat different; a level of ache/discomfort is to be expected but it doesn`t necessarily mean you're doing damage provided it's not getting worse.

If I can manage a modest level of running I`ll be a whole lot happier than doing none. Getting old ain't much fun at times....but it beats the alternative!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th December 2016 at 00:06.

Never done drugs, never enjoyed running more than 400m 😉

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I had half my cartilage removed from my left knee a few years ago (late 30's) and I was advised to stop running and football as I'd end up in a cycle of needing further operations. Admittedly they did find a little arthritis too.

I started mountain biking, off road black routes etc only to have a bad fall, use my face to stop at 15 mph on a downhill stretch, smashed my face up, broke my nose and broke my wrist! Mrs G decided cycling wasn't a great idea!
    Be careful out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    +1 on the bike riding. Less impact on the knees and more fun than walking!
    Mike

Banned
    Blog Entries
    rule number one, if it hurts after exercise, especially deep in joints then stop until healed, if the pain persists stop that exercise and try something with less impact on the joint.

you know your body, and your body will let you know the answer to the above,

for me, my right knee is now buggered, after a football injury when I was younger, i used to run but dont now, cross trainer for me or swimming, same cardio but no pain afterwards.

If I was you I would give up running, cycle/cross trainer/swimming would be the way forward.

Cartilage Op

Had one 3 years ago after playing squash for 45 years had the key hole joby and 3 years on still playing squash and manage to get on the court 3 weeks after the op Ps I am now 66 years young still playing 3 times a week.
    squashy1

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by squashy1 View Post
    Had one 3 years ago after playing squash for 45 years had the key hole joby and 3 years on still playing squash and manage to get on the court 3 weeks after the op Ps I am now 66 years young still playing 3 times a week.
    squashy1
    Maybe all the nerve endings in your knees have died off........that's impressive!

I`ve just completed another 25 minute run on the road and I`m cautiously optimistic. The knee aches rather than hurts, with no sharp pain, and it's much better than before the op. Plenty of gym work to strengthen the muscles, plenty of stretching too, and it seems to be working. If I can keep the Achilles tendons and calf muscles in good nick I could be back in business......on a modest scale!

Losing a few pounds in weight wouldn`t go amiss either, probably around 10-12lbs over where I should be and that's a significant amount for a lightweight like me.

Looking forward to resurrecting the tradition of a run on Christmas morning; I did that for many many years, from age 13 to mid-50s, and it'll be nice to do it again, even if it's only 15 mins around the block! Stepson says he'll join me and my stepdaughter's Labrador will be up for it, needless to say I won`t be racing either of them.....yet!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st December 2016 at 20:34.

Master
    Build up a little strength in the legs low impact cycling light weights before going balls deep pounding pavements, slowly slowly catch the monkey.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Can`t believe it's 6 months since I posted this......2017 is flying by!

Despite my reservations and general pessimism, I`m pleased to say I`m now running again with virtually no discomfort
    Managing to do 5 miles over undulating rough ground with no problems, just a slight ache now and again. What's also good is the way my long-standing achilles problem (in the same leg) has miraculously disappeared, that's really surprised me and it shows how leg problems are literally interconnected. Apart from a minor calf problem in the opposite leg (a long-standing injury) I`m going better than I have for many a year.........might even have to enter a race at some point! I`m even giving the Labrador a run for his money too.

So far so good; the op's been a success and I`m running with no discomfort. Twisting and turning hurts a little, but running's fine.

Best advice I can give anyone in a similar situation is to get the problems diagnosed properly, even if it costs money, then take the expert's advice regarding treatment and a way forward.

I count myself lucky to still be running at 59 despite several setbacks.....no fitbit or similar device required either!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd June 2017 at 18:03.

Very inspiring Paul, well done. I have started walking, putting my running gear on and heading off on 4 to 5 mile yomps that last a little over an hour, three times a week. All part of trying to keep fit.

Running after cartilage operation

Good for you Paul. If I'm still running like that in 6 years time I will be delighted.
    Last edited by alfat33; 22nd June 2017 at 18:33.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very inspiring Paul, well done. I have started walking, putting my running gear on and heading off on 4 to 5 mile yomps that last a little over an hour, three times a week. All part of trying to keep fit.
    Based on my own experience I`d definitely get a full diagnosis on your knee problem. Over 3 months (prior to the op) my knee had recovered a lot, to a point where I could walk several miles over rough terrain (albeit with a few winces). I thought twice about having surgery, but looking back I made the right decision.

We only live once, for me it made sense to maintain my quality of life by being able to continue doing the activities I enjoy. Viewed in that context it makes sense to pay a few £££ to get these things sorted out without delay. My GP was very supportive, I had an MRI scan (NHS) within 3 weeks and that showed the torn cartilage. I have limited private healthcare so I used that to get the surgery done quickly. Even without the private healthcare I think I would've paid the money to get it done quickly.....even if it meant selling a couple of watches (perish the thought!). More importantly, I was able to get it done by someone with a very good reputation.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd June 2017 at 11:09.

I had the same op when I was mid 20's caused by playing 5 a side, the issue I was told is that after the op things will feel better but as they have cut out a large chunk of cartilage the remaining cartilage would wear much quicker so whilst I would get little pain now if I kept playing football it would cause me issues in 15-20 years time.

I am now 35 and just cycle, running or playing football results in a painful few days, even cycling if I push a bit results in a painful few days

Craftsman
    its the impact im afraid. Get a bike and try that as its quite good fun and mountain biking off the beaten track is very therapeutic to get away from the daily grind . You can also do spinning as mentioned which i used to do years and years ago but now have a tv in the garage and do the GCN spinning videos most days if the weather is poor . Her indoors is a fitness professional of circa 25 years and she is finding her joints are suffering with age. She has taught spinning, kick boxing , step,yoga ,fitsteps,clubbercise and other guff daily and some mornings watching her walk down the stairs would put anyone off anything impact based. Seriously cut the high impact stuff out and up the low impact CV stuff to save the joints