closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing hands and dials

Journeyman

Removing hands and dials

Acknowledging the potential risk of UTFS (I did try to have a dig for this answer) I wonder if anyone could tell me whether it'd be absolute madness to buy hand removal and resetting tools to have a go at some light watch modding. Is this a can of worms I want to open? Will I just end up with a box of broken bits? Thoughts appreciated...

Removing hands and dials

It's not too difficult, just need steady hands and a bit of patience. I've found the tricky thing is to get the date to click over at midnight spot on and to get the second hand on quartz to hit the markets (which seems to involve a high degree of luck).

It is very easy to bend hands or inadvertently remove old Lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing hands and dials

I was in your shoes a year ago and took the plunge on an old and partly functioning watch. As ed says, not too hard but you need to practice and learn how to be careful and what can go wrong.

I'm OK with removing hands now but I'd personally never try it on an expensive dial, way too easy to scratch something.

Good luck!
    Last edited by alfat33; 14th December 2016 at 18:42.

Journeyman
    Thanks both. Any recommendations regarding tools? Will a cheap eBay set be a false economy? Or a safe bet given the high chance I'll try this once, panic and be put off forever?

I went cheap for that reason but like I said I restrict myself to watches that I wouldn't cry over if I damaged them. The cheap tools do work and helped me understand what I'd want if/when I spend some real money. You can buy plastic film to protect dials as well

Journeyman
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'm off to do some shopping...

Grand Master
    Use hand removing levers and a dial protector. I use two pieces of pegwood shaped into a flat end to initially mount hands lightly; when I'm happy with the positioning I use a hand fitting tool to press them home. This requires skill and practice and there's only one way to get good at it. Learn on something cheap, make your mistakes on something that's got no value.

Always think about whete the force is being directed when pressing hands on. Sometimes the movement needs supporting to avoid doing damage, Particular when fitting seconds hands.

Paul

Journeyman
    Thanks. So something like this as a starter set? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391647686198

Journeyman
    And maybe one of these dial protectors too. Looks like a relatively cheap way to find out I'm crap at watch maintenance. Or great at breaking things. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262527087380

Master
    I'd recommend getting an old SKX seiko diver running a 7S26 movement.

That's what I did and found it really easy to work on... the movement is also nice and simple to start tinkering with too. Just go nice and slow... taking photos as you go if you need to :)

Craftsman
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/dagazwat...=page_internal

Quick video from one of the kings of watch modding

Journeyman
    Thanks for the tips. Tool kit now ordered and two broken Seikos I've been wondering what to do with are now awaiting the knife, so to speak. Now shopping for mod dials too (slippery slope). Will play back my adventures in the new year.

Good luck - take lots of pics! :)

Journeyman
    Will definitely do. Toolset arrived this morning so it looks like this might be a Christmas project – the practicing with an old Seiko bit at least.

Dagaz for dials? Yobokies?